RE: [N1MM] logging in 7QP for 7-Land station

  • Tommy Alderman
    Message 1 of 26 , May 1, 2010
      I don't believe that is correct John. Instead of selecting 7QP, you need to
      select IN7QPNE which was just recently added so that you can work all three
      QSO parties and submit the same log to each of them. If you want to only
      participate in, say, the 7QP, then you would select 7QP and would be
      restricted to that QP only.

      Tom - W4BQF

      Message 2 of 26 , May 1, 2010
        Aha1 - Got it. That did the trick, I see all the different counties now and that will make it much more fun to dink around in all three.

        Thanks, John K3TN

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Tommy Alderman" <aldermant@...> wrote:

        > I don't believe that is correct John. Instead of selecting 7QP, you need to
        > select IN7QPNE which was just recently added so that you can work all three
        > QSO parties and submit the same log to each of them. If you want to only
        > participate in, say, the 7QP, then you would select 7QP and would be
        > restricted to that QP only.
        >
        > Tom - W4BQF

      • John, K3CT
        Message 3 of 26 , May 1, 2010
          If you are an in-state user of the 7QP, IN, or NEWE QSO party, select the
          appropriate choice. The program operation will track the rules for your QSO
          party and allow you to log the counties from the other two QSO parties. Note
          that the MARAC QSO party has not been merged this year. You will have to
          force log the QSO's CTRL+ALT+ENTER or try the new forcelog macros added in
          version 10.4.0. I am sure the sponsors will count the QSO's if the correct
          county is logged.

          If you are operating from a non-sponsoring state, select IN7QPNE.

          In both cases, the program uses the ARRL Section in the Station Information
          window to make operational decisions.

          The Cabrillo that is generated can be sent to all three sponsors. If there
          are any issues, I will address them after the weekend. This file doesn't
          contain QSO points per contact, each sponsor will rescore it.

          For the 7QP, IN, or NEWE users, the displays and score should be accurate
          for your in-state QSO party. This includes the maximum of 10 DX for the 7QP
          contesters, counting the states from the counties logged, and not counting
          IN as state mult for the IN users.

          There are slight differences in how the mults are counted by the three QSO
          Parties. This makes it harder on the users. It also makes it impossible for
          the developers to accurately indicate valid QSO's for the IN7QPNE type of
          user. The IN7QPNE program selection defaults to mults once per mode (IN)
          instead of once per contest (7QP, NEWE).

          I have learned a lot after going through this merge process and may
          reconsider the implementation.

          I would be interested to learn after the contest the activity level in the
          MARAC QSO party. Their county list is very large (3,077) and probably can't
          be displayed on one monitor.

> [...]
          >> you receive for the other county parties. When logging contacts from the
          >> NEWE
          >> QP, several three character abbreviations are identical to
          >> the IN county abbreviations. If the NEWE station uses the IN county
          >> abbreviation, you will get credit for the state of IN not the New England
          >> state. I can't do anything about this. This has to be solved by the
          >> QP sponsors.
          >> I verified that all three QP sponsor's will accept logs and score them
          >> with
          >> the county that was sent instead of the state. This also enables you to
          >> send the same cabrillo to all three. If you log N1MM as CT instead of
          >> with the county exchange that Tom sends, you won't be able to submit
          >> your Cabrillo to the NEWE sponsor.
          >>
          >> 4) This doesn't occur often and it certainly doesn't take long to type
          >> the
          >> call again. I bet this is less keystrokes than making a note.
          >>
          >> I hope everyone repeats what Dave did so the contest goes smooth.
          >>
          >> John, K3CT
          >>

          >> On Apr 28, 2010, Dave Hachadorian <k6ll@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I think I'm set to go for the 7QP with v 10.4.7 with the 7QP
          >> module. I'm seeing a few differences from last year in the way
          >> the program behaves. I want to make sure if I've got this all
          >> straight, so please comment if any of the following is incomplete
          >> or correct.
          >>
          >> 1. It looks like I don't need to enter /M in a W7 rover's
          >> callsign. If I work W7WW once in AZYMA, and then again in AZMCP,
          >> there's no dupe, and 3 points are shown for each. However, it is
          >> a good idea to enter W7WW/YMA in the call sign window to
          >> facilitate dupe-checking later in the contest.
          >>
          >> 2. Call history won't be working for this contest.
          >>
          >> 3. When the program starts, a window pops up telling me that I
          >> can enter the full exchange from NEQP or INQP stations, and the
          >> proper state will be logged for the 7QP. Indeed, if I enter
          >> W1OP's exchange as PRORI, or W9RE's exchange as MARI, they
          >> properly go into the 7QP log as RI and IN. However, in the
          >> Cabrillo, they show as PRORI and MARI for the location. The state
          >> is not shown. I don't know if the 7QP logcheckers can handle that
          >> or not. Maybe it's better just to log W1OP as RI, and W9RE as IN.
          >> It would be nice to be able to submit an entry to NEQP or INQP,
          >> but it's not a show-stopper.
          >>
          >> 4. If I work a 7 station on a county line, I should probably make
          >> two separate qso entries while the contest is running. The
          >> shortcut of using the spacebar to recall the previous QSO does
          >> not work in RUN mode, so I have to start each QSO from scratch. I
          >> could use ctrl-N to make a note of the multiple counties, but
          >> then I would have to enter the additional QSO's after the
          >> contest, then edit the time and date of each such QSO.
          >>
          >> 5. I don't have to worry about double entries for county line
          >> stations in New England or Indiana, since they don't count again

        • Rex Maner
          Message 4 of 26 , May 1, 2010
            As I read the instructions, QTH in 7 land use 7QP anywhere else use
            IN7QPNE, I am in 7 land and will submit log to all three 3 parties. I
            suspect I will have to force log IN and NE Q's and there is also a county
            hunters event that will require forced logging. I will pass on no ((NO
            One )).

            See all of you in about 55 min.

            Quack

            >I don't believe that is correct John. Instead of selecting 7QP, you need to
            > select IN7QPNE which was just recently added so that you can work all
            > three
            > QSO parties and submit the same log to each of them. If you want to only
            > participate in, say, the 7QP, then you would select 7QP and would be
            > restricted to that QP only.
            >
            > Tom - W4BQF

            REPORT: iPads for $23.74?
            Special Report: Macbooks are being auctioned for an incredible 80% off!
            http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4bdc17f5c0e7a21b698st06vuc
          • Rex Maner
            Message 5 of 26 , May 1, 2010
              Thanks John
              I will use the IN7QPNE file, however when I start up it says your entering
              outside 7 land, Will just disregard.

              Quack

              Message 6 of 26 , May 1, 2010
                > .... I suspect I will have to force log IN and NE Q's....

                No. If you select 7QP, IN, NEWE, IN7QPNE you will be able to log any of the
                counties in these three QP's.

                There are several duplicate three character NEWE abbreviations that had to
                be removed because they are identical to IN county abbreviations. These NEWE
                participants should certainly be using the five character abbreviation.

                Remember to log the county from every QSO party participant so you are able
                to receive credit when you submit the Cabrillo to the other sponsors. If you
                log just the state from the other QP's these QSO's will be invalid when
                scored by the other QSO party sponsors.

                I also expect that everyone has taken advantage of the QSO party fixes in
                version 10.4.9. These would have been fixed earlier if users had tested the
                code earlier.

                > As I read the instructions, QTH in 7 land use 7QP anywhere else use
                > IN7QPNE, I am in 7 land and will submit log to all three 3 parties. I
                > suspect I will have to force log IN and NE Q's and there is also a
                > county
                > hunters event that will require forced logging. I will pass on no ((NO
                > One )).
                >
                > See all of you in about 55 min.
                >
                > Quack

              • Ron Rossi
                Message 7 of 26 , May 1, 2010
                  John,

                  Any reason that the state in the exchange couldn't be used to modify a
                  three letter county abbreviation when the cabrillo is generated?

                  73 es God Bless de KK1L...Ron Rossi (kk1l@...) <><
                  QTH: Jericho, Vermont
                  My page: http://home.comcast.net/~kk1l

                  Message 8 of 26 , May 1, 2010
                    Ron,

                    It's not required and honestly not what the user logged.

                    If you log the state instead of the county it will be exported.

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 1, 2010
                      John,

                      It might not be required. I was responding to the situation of
                      overlapping counties (Washington is a commons one to be sure!). As an
                      example just because a user did not log the contiguous characters
                      "CHIVT" does not mean that they did not log Chittenden, VT for my
                      contact. If you enter KK1L CHI VT, then you did in fact log my contact
                      correctly and have all the information to required to submit the contact.

                      Thanks for you help and Good luck in the contests this afternoon!

                      Message 10 of 26 , May 1, 2010
                        Ron,

                        I don't believe Washington county is a problem. WASVT (NEWE) or WAV (NEWE)
                        does not conflict with WAS (IN).

                        There should be no county exchanges that conflict with alternate state
                        abbreviations. I removed those.

                        I believe the three character NEWE exchanges that are identical to IN
                        counties are: HAR, HAN, KNO, BAR, FRA, CAR. SUL, NEW, BEN, ORA.

                        > It might not be required. I was responding to the situation of
                        > overlapping counties (Washington is a commons one to be sure!). As an
                        > example just because a user did not log the contiguous characters
                        > "CHIVT" does not mean that they did not log Chittenden, VT for my
                        > contact. If you enter KK1L CHI VT, then you did in fact log my contact
                        > correctly and have all the information to required to submit the contact.
                        >
                        > Thanks for you help and Good luck in the contests this afternoon!
                        >
                        > 73 es God Bless de KK1L...Ron Rossi (kk1l@...) <><
                        > QTH: Jericho, Vermont
                        > My page: http://home.comcast.net/~kk1l
                        >

                        > John, K3CT wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Ron,
                        >>
                        >> It's not required and honestly not what the user logged.
                        >>
                        >> If you log the state instead of the county it will be exported.
                        >>
                        >> John, K3CT

                      • Tom Osborne
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 1, 2010
                          Hi Rex

                          If you select 7QP for the contest and then import the IN7QPNE module, it
                          will put you in state and let you enter all the exchanges. 73
                          Tom W7WHY

                          > As I read the instructions, QTH in 7 land use 7QP anywhere else use
                          > IN7QPNE, I am in 7 land and will submit log to all three 3 parties. I
                          > suspect I will have to force log IN and NE Q's and there is also a
                          > county
                          > hunters event that will require forced logging. I will pass on no ((NO
                          > One )).
                          >
                          > See all of you in about 55 min.
                          >
                          > Quack

                        • John, K3CT
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 2, 2010
                            Tom,

                            Can you explain why this is necessary?

                            > If you select 7QP for the contest and then import the IN7QPNE module, it
                            > will put you in state and let you enter all the exchanges. 73
                            > Tom W7WHY
                            >

                            >> As I read the instructions, QTH in 7 land use 7QP anywhere else use
                            >> IN7QPNE, I am in 7 land and will submit log to all three 3 parties. I
                            >> suspect I will have to force log IN and NE Q's and there is also a
                            >> county
                            >> hunters event that will require forced logging. I will pass on no ((NO
                            >> One )).
                            >>
                            >> See all of you in about 55 min.
                            >>
                            >> Quack

                          • Tom Osborne
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 2, 2010
                              Hi John

                              When I selected 'IN7QPNE' as the QSO party, it told me my section was OR and
                              I was entering as an 'out of state' entry and had to change my station data
                              in config/station data, even though it was set up with me in Oregon.

                              If I selected 7QP as the QSO party, then selected IN7QPNE for section list,
                              and imported the qsosection-many.sec, it told me my section was OR and I
                              was an 'in state entry' for the 7QP.

                              73
                              Tom W7WHY

                            • Rex Maner
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 2, 2010
                                Tom
                                I didn't get fancy and import IN7QPNE I think that was done by somone prior
                                to the test,
                                The problem as I see it when I work KC1V who was in TOLCT all that shows
                                in the log is CT, If I call the entry back to Entry window then the TOLCT
                                shows .

                                I expeted the Log to show TOLCT as entered. This also happened with IN
                                stations when I properly entered the exchange (xxx) not with INxxx or
                                xxxIN

                                I think (( trouble NOW )) that this will be taken care of when logs are
                                sent to IN and NE entry addresses ??

                                Quack

                                > If you select 7QP for the contest and then import the IN7QPNE module, it
                                > will put you in state and let you enter all the exchanges. 73
                                > Tom W7WHY
                                >

                                >> As I read the instructions, QTH in 7 land use 7QP anywhere else use
                                >> IN7QPNE, I am in 7 land and will submit log to all three 3 parties. I
                                >> suspect I will have to force log IN and NE Q's and there is also a
                                >> county
                                >> hunters event that will require forced logging. I will pass on no ((NO
                                >> One )).
                                >>
                                >> See all of you in about 55 min.
                                >>
                                >> Quack

                                Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
                                http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4bdd9852922f62b1233st03duc
                              • Tom Osborne
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 2, 2010
                                  Hi Rex

                                  I actually worked great here and allowed me to log all sections from all the
                                  different QP's, except the ones that started wlith 'WAS'. Other than that,
                                  it worked great.

                                  It was fun to be able to log the exchanges from all 3 different QSO parties.
                                  Thanks to John and all the others for getting this to work so well. 73
                                  Tom W7WHY

                                  > Tom
                                  > I didn't get fancy and import IN7QPNE I think that was done by somone
                                  > prior
                                  > to the test,
                                  > The problem as I see it when I work KC1V who was in TOLCT all that
                                  > shows
                                  > in the log is CT, If I call the entry back to Entry window then the TOLCT
                                  > shows .
                                  >
                                  > I expeted the Log to show TOLCT as entered. This also happened with IN
                                  > stations when I properly entered the exchange (xxx) not with INxxx or
                                  > xxxIN
                                  >
                                  > I think (( trouble NOW )) that this will be taken care of when logs are
                                  > sent to IN and NE entry addresses ??
                                  >
                                  > Quack
                                • John, K3CT
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 2, 2010
                                    Tom,

                                    I still don't know why you changed with the section and state list. Clearly,
                                    this is why you had problems. Now your database contains the wrong section
                                    and state data.

                                    You should have selected 7QP and used the program as installed. Hard to
                                    believe you missed this in the release notes and many emails.

                                    > When I selected 'IN7QPNE' as the QSO party, it told me my section was OR
                                    > and
                                    > I was entering as an 'out of state' entry and had to change my station
                                    > data
                                    > in config/station data, even though it was set up with me in Oregon.
                                    >
                                    > If I selected 7QP as the QSO party, then selected IN7QPNE for section
                                    > list,
                                    > and imported the qsosection-many.sec, it told me my section was OR and I
                                    > was an 'in state entry' for the 7QP.
                                    >
                                    > 73
                                    > Tom W7WHY
                                    >

                                    >> Tom,
                                    >>
                                    >> Can you explain why this is necessary?
                                    >>

                                    >>> Hi Rex
                                    >>>

                                    >>> If you select 7QP for the contest and then import the IN7QPNE module, it
                                    >>> will put you in state and let you enter all the exchanges. 73
                                    >>> Tom W7WHY

                                  • Rex Maner
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 2, 2010
                                      Tom

                                      I could log them OK but when they were entered the county info disappeared
                                      and just got the State to show in the Log sheet ??

                                      > I actually worked great here and allowed me to log all sections from all
                                      > the
                                      > different QP's, except the ones that started wlith 'WAS'. Other than
                                      > that,
                                      > it worked great.
                                      >
                                      > It was fun to be able to log the exchanges from all 3 different QSO
                                      > parties.
                                      > Thanks to John and all the others for getting this to work so well. 73
                                      > Tom W7WHY
                                      >

                                      >> Tom
                                      >> I didn't get fancy and import IN7QPNE I think that was done by somone
                                      >> prior
                                      >> to the test,
                                      >> The problem as I see it when I work KC1V who was in TOLCT all that
                                      >> shows
                                      >> in the log is CT, If I call the entry back to Entry window then the
                                      >> TOLCT
                                      >> shows .
                                      >>
                                      >> I expeted the Log to show TOLCT as entered. This also happened with IN
                                      >> stations when I properly entered the exchange (xxx) not with INxxx or
                                      >> xxxIN
                                      >>
                                      >> I think (( trouble NOW )) that this will be taken care of when logs
                                      >> are
                                      >> sent to IN and NE entry addresses ??
                                      >>
                                      >> Quack

                                      A Reverse Mortgage?
                                      Near 70? Find out how much money you can get from a reverse mortgage.
                                      http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4bdde61f174922af749st05duc
                                    • Rex Maner
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 2, 2010
                                        > There are several duplicate three character NEWE abbreviations that had to
                                        > be removed because they are identical to IN county abbreviations. These
                                        > NEWE
                                        > participants should certainly be using the five character abbreviation.

                                        I worked W1WBB on 4 differant occasions and he gave "" NERI "" now I
                                        know what assume means but is this supposed to be Newport, RI ???

                                        QRZ.COM shows him as Portmouth, RI which is in Newport County ??

                                        Quack

                                        >> .... I suspect I will have to force log IN and NE Q's....
                                        >
                                        > No. If you select 7QP, IN, NEWE, IN7QPNE you will be able to log any of
                                        > the
                                        > counties in these three QP's.
                                        >
                                        > There are several duplicate three character NEWE abbreviations that had to
                                        > be removed because they are identical to IN county abbreviations. These
                                        > NEWE
                                        > participants should certainly be using the five character abbreviation.
                                        >
                                        > Remember to log the county from every QSO party participant so you are
                                        > able
                                        > to receive credit when you submit the Cabrillo to the other sponsors. If
                                        > you
                                        > log just the state from the other QP's these QSO's will be invalid when
                                        > scored by the other QSO party sponsors.
                                        >
                                        > I also expect that everyone has taken advantage of the QSO party fixes in
                                        > version 10.4.9. These would have been fixed earlier if users had tested
                                        > the
                                        > code earlier.
                                        >
                                        > John, K3CT

                                        Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
                                        http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4bddfa9c47cc82e6a6cst01duc
                                      • Joseph Giasi
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 2, 2010
                                          Rex, NEWE uses 3 or 5 character abbreviations with 5 being preferred.
                                          That should have been "newri", which is the exchange I received from
                                          W1WBB. Are you sure the static didn't swallow part of his
                                          transmission?

                                          Joe - W2QQ

                                          Sent from my mobile device
                                        • Rex Maner
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 2, 2010
                                            Joe
                                            I worked him 4 yes 4 times and questioned the NERI every time ???

                                            Oh well I had guessed and haven't as yet massaged the Log ha ha

                                            Quack

                                            Tnx the Quacks frm CT

                                            > Rex, NEWE uses 3 or 5 character abbreviations with 5 being preferred.
                                            > That should have been "newri", which is the exchange I received from
                                            > W1WBB. Are you sure the static didn't swallow part of his
                                            > transmission?
                                            >
                                            > Joe - W2QQ
                                            >
                                            > On 5/2/10, Rex Maner <k7qq@...> wrote:
                                            >>> There are several duplicate three character NEWE abbreviations that had
                                            >>> be removed because they are identical to IN county abbreviations. These
                                            >>> NEWE
                                            >>> participants should certainly be using the five character abbreviation.
                                            >>

                                            >> I worked W1WBB on 4 differant occasions and he gave "" NERI "" now I
                                            >> know what assume means but is this supposed to be Newport, RI ???
                                            >>
                                            >> QRZ.COM shows him as Portmouth, RI which is in Newport County ??
                                            >>
                                            >> Quack

                                            Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
                                            http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4bde106fd35cb2e982dst01duc
                                          • Joseph Giasi
                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 2, 2010
                                              Maybe he doesn't like 7s?

                                              CT Quack

                                              On 5/2/10, Rex Maner <k7qq@...> wrote:
                                              > Joe
                                              > I worked him 4 yes 4 times and questioned the NERI every time ???
                                              >
                                              > Oh well I had guessed and haven't as yet massaged the Log ha ha
                                              >
                                              > Quack
                                              >
                                              > Tnx the Quacks frm CT

                                              Sent from my mobile device