Re: [N1MM] new computer - USB to LPT?

  • Brian Alsop
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
      You wonder how those who run the fireworks shows or industrial systems
      are coping with these "advanced" operating systems. I do know in some
      cases they haven't abandoned DOS yet!

      There must be a way to live with advanced op systems and turn on/off
      things accurate to the millisecond or better.

      73 de Brian/K3KO

      Willy Wonka wrote:
      > I ran into this problem when my (then) new laptop came with USB ports but neither Parallel nor Serial ports. I solved it by moving to WinKeyer USB. Works great.
      > 73, Peter W2CDO
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Terry G. Glagowski
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
        These folks use VXworks for embedded systems (C++ programming) or Real Time Java (Solaris), or a product I used to be a developer for… a real time extension to Unix and/or Windows… which would assure a hard real-time response of 100 microseconds for single CPU / Core systems, and 50 microseconds for multiple CPU / Core systems… The secret is to do some modifications to the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) and to write some proprietary kernel mode drivers for the peripheral devices of interest. Also, you could use Windows CE or its successors. There are a number of other real time operating systems (RTOS) as well.

        Terry / W1TR

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
          Can these fixes be applied to USB ports? That's the perpherial we're
          all stuck with these days.

          73 de Brian/K3KO

          Terry G. Glagowski wrote:
          > These folks use VXworks for embedded systems (C++ programming) or Real Time Java (Solaris), or a product I used to be a developer for… a real time extension to Unix and/or Windows… which would assure a hard real-time response of 100 microseconds for single CPU / Core systems, and 50 microseconds for multiple CPU / Core systems… The secret is to do some modifications to the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) and to write some proprietary kernel mode drivers for the peripheral devices of interest. Also, you could use Windows CE or its successors. There are a number of other real time operating systems (RTOS) as well.
          >
          > Terry / W1TR

        • KD3TB
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
            I am running N1MM on a Win 7 64 bit computer with no major problems.

            Irwin KD3TB

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
              > Can these fixes be applied to USB ports?

              Not likely if you have more than one USB device.
              Universal Serial Bus is a shared bus and multiple
              devices are accommodated using a polled protocol.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

            • Rojomn
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                How fast is the polling? Seems modern machine ought to be able to do
                this easilly. It has no problem with many devices on one USB port and
                they are much faster than CW keying and Radio Control.

                Sent from iTouch
                Twitter @WzeroMN
                ICC WzeroMN