Re: [N1MM] new computer - USB to LPT?

  • Bud Morin
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
      Thanks Joe. I was hoping to use 64 bit Win 7. Seems you can do that with
      DxLabSuite but I would need to change from LPT to COM port. My radio is
      a K3. I think N1MM won't work with 64 bit OS. ??

      73,
      Bud, K9ZT

    • Joe Subich, W4TV
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
        There should be no problem with Windows 7/64 if you are not
        using serial or parallel port CW. The limitation is due to
        the lack of a 64 bit DLportIO and appears to apply to Vista/64
        as well.

        If you use one of the WinKey solutions or CW, and are careful
        in where you install both DXLab Suite and N1MM (I like
        C:\Ham Programs\DXLab and C:\Ham Programs\N1MM), you should
        not have any problems.

        73,

        ... Joe, W4TV

      • WILLIS COOKE
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
          I am using N1MM with Windows 7-64 and I have demonstrated to myself that I can send CW with my K3 by keying the RTS and the PTT through DTR with a serial port card and a RS232 connection.  It appears to key as fast as 100 WPM but I can't be sure because I can't begin to copy that fast but I am convinced that it can key properly to 50 wpm.  I have been unable to use the USB converter for even rig control.  I have some problems even with my WinKeyer USB but I have been able to work around them.  I prefer to use the WinKeyer than the RTS, but RTS does work.  If DTR is used for PTT you sacrifice QSK.
           Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
          K5EWJ

          ________________________________
          There should be no problem with Windows 7/64 if you are not
          using serial or parallel port CW. The limitation is due to
          the lack of a 64 bit DLportIO and appears to apply to Vista/64
          as well.

          If you use one of the WinKey solutions or CW, and are careful
          in where you install both DXLab Suite and N1MM (I like
          C:\Ham Programs\DXLab and C:\Ham Programs\N1MM) , you should
          not have any problems.

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

        • Brian Alsop
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
            You wonder how those who run the fireworks shows or industrial systems
            are coping with these "advanced" operating systems. I do know in some
            cases they haven't abandoned DOS yet!

            There must be a way to live with advanced op systems and turn on/off
            things accurate to the millisecond or better.

            73 de Brian/K3KO

            Willy Wonka wrote:
            > I ran into this problem when my (then) new laptop came with USB ports but neither Parallel nor Serial ports. I solved it by moving to WinKeyer USB. Works great.
            > 73, Peter W2CDO
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Terry G. Glagowski
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
              These folks use VXworks for embedded systems (C++ programming) or Real Time Java (Solaris), or a product I used to be a developer for… a real time extension to Unix and/or Windows… which would assure a hard real-time response of 100 microseconds for single CPU / Core systems, and 50 microseconds for multiple CPU / Core systems… The secret is to do some modifications to the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) and to write some proprietary kernel mode drivers for the peripheral devices of interest. Also, you could use Windows CE or its successors. There are a number of other real time operating systems (RTOS) as well.

              Terry / W1TR

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                Can these fixes be applied to USB ports? That's the perpherial we're
                all stuck with these days.

                73 de Brian/K3KO

                Terry G. Glagowski wrote:
                > These folks use VXworks for embedded systems (C++ programming) or Real Time Java (Solaris), or a product I used to be a developer for… a real time extension to Unix and/or Windows… which would assure a hard real-time response of 100 microseconds for single CPU / Core systems, and 50 microseconds for multiple CPU / Core systems… The secret is to do some modifications to the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) and to write some proprietary kernel mode drivers for the peripheral devices of interest. Also, you could use Windows CE or its successors. There are a number of other real time operating systems (RTOS) as well.
                >
                > Terry / W1TR

              • KD3TB
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                  I am running N1MM on a Win 7 64 bit computer with no major problems.

                  Irwin KD3TB

                  Thanks Joe. I was hoping to use 64 bit Win 7. Seems you can do that with
                  DxLabSuite but I would need to change from LPT to COM port. My radio is
                  a K3. I think N1MM won't work with 64 bit OS. ??

                  73,
                  Bud, K9ZT

                  > My understanding is that these are not memory mapped and thus
                  > not usable with the DirectIO drivers. Most of the USB to LPT
                  > adapters use something like the FTDI FT2232C (dual UART)
                  > http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/DataSheets/DS_FT2232D.pdf
                  > in the bit bang mode with a Windows printer driver (e.g. software
                  > converter).
                  >
                  > Since the dual UART supports a bit band mode, it would be
                  > possible to write a driver to control the I/O but it would
                  > be subject to all of the system timing issues of both Windows
                  > and the USB hardware (time division).
                  >
                  > 73,
                  >
                  > ... Joe, W4TV

                • Joe Subich, W4TV
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                    > Can these fixes be applied to USB ports?

                    Not likely if you have more than one USB device.
                    Universal Serial Bus is a shared bus and multiple
                    devices are accommodated using a polled protocol.

                    73,

                    ... Joe, W4TV

                  • Rojomn
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                      How fast is the polling? Seems modern machine ought to be able to do
                      this easilly. It has no problem with many devices on one USB port and
                      they are much faster than CW keying and Radio Control.

                      Sent from iTouch
                      Twitter @WzeroMN
                      ICC WzeroMN