Re: [N1MM] new computer - USB to LPT?

  • Willy Wonka
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
      I ran into this problem when my (then) new laptop came with USB ports but neither Parallel nor Serial ports.  I solved it by moving to WinKeyer USB.  Works great.
      73, Peter W2CDO

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
        Thanks, John. HNY,

        73,
        Bud, K9ZT

        On 1/1/2010 5:57 AM, John, K3CT wrote:
        > Is sending CW possible with a USB to LPT converter using a 32 bit version of
        > Windows?
        > I did not find anything in the manual and believe I read a message earlier
        > that these converters are not useable.
        >
        > John, K3CT

      • Bud Morin
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
          Thanks again. HI.

          Bud

          On 1/1/2010 6:03 AM, Pete Smith wrote:
          > If I recall correctly, it is not possible because these adapters do not
          > provide for on-off control of the line used for CW.
          >
          > 73, Pete N4ZR
          > Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
          > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
          >

          > On 1/1/2010 6:57 AM, John, K3CT wrote:
          >
          >> Is sending CW possible with a USB to LPT converter using a 32 bit version of
          >> Windows?
          >> I did not find anything in the manual and believe I read a message earlier
          >> that these converters are not useable.
          >>
          >> John, K3CT

        • Bud Morin
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
            Thanks Joe. I was hoping to use 64 bit Win 7. Seems you can do that with
            DxLabSuite but I would need to change from LPT to COM port. My radio is
            a K3. I think N1MM won't work with 64 bit OS. ??

            73,
            Bud, K9ZT

          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
              There should be no problem with Windows 7/64 if you are not
              using serial or parallel port CW. The limitation is due to
              the lack of a 64 bit DLportIO and appears to apply to Vista/64
              as well.

              If you use one of the WinKey solutions or CW, and are careful
              in where you install both DXLab Suite and N1MM (I like
              C:\Ham Programs\DXLab and C:\Ham Programs\N1MM), you should
              not have any problems.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

            • WILLIS COOKE
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                I am using N1MM with Windows 7-64 and I have demonstrated to myself that I can send CW with my K3 by keying the RTS and the PTT through DTR with a serial port card and a RS232 connection.  It appears to key as fast as 100 WPM but I can't be sure because I can't begin to copy that fast but I am convinced that it can key properly to 50 wpm.  I have been unable to use the USB converter for even rig control.  I have some problems even with my WinKeyer USB but I have been able to work around them.  I prefer to use the WinKeyer than the RTS, but RTS does work.  If DTR is used for PTT you sacrifice QSK.
                 Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
                K5EWJ

                ________________________________
                There should be no problem with Windows 7/64 if you are not
                using serial or parallel port CW. The limitation is due to
                the lack of a 64 bit DLportIO and appears to apply to Vista/64
                as well.

                If you use one of the WinKey solutions or CW, and are careful
                in where you install both DXLab Suite and N1MM (I like
                C:\Ham Programs\DXLab and C:\Ham Programs\N1MM) , you should
                not have any problems.

                73,

                ... Joe, W4TV

              • Brian Alsop
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                  You wonder how those who run the fireworks shows or industrial systems
                  are coping with these "advanced" operating systems. I do know in some
                  cases they haven't abandoned DOS yet!

                  There must be a way to live with advanced op systems and turn on/off
                  things accurate to the millisecond or better.

                  73 de Brian/K3KO

                  Willy Wonka wrote:
                  > I ran into this problem when my (then) new laptop came with USB ports but neither Parallel nor Serial ports. I solved it by moving to WinKeyer USB. Works great.
                  > 73, Peter W2CDO
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Terry G. Glagowski
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                    These folks use VXworks for embedded systems (C++ programming) or Real Time Java (Solaris), or a product I used to be a developer for… a real time extension to Unix and/or Windows… which would assure a hard real-time response of 100 microseconds for single CPU / Core systems, and 50 microseconds for multiple CPU / Core systems… The secret is to do some modifications to the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) and to write some proprietary kernel mode drivers for the peripheral devices of interest. Also, you could use Windows CE or its successors. There are a number of other real time operating systems (RTOS) as well.

                    Terry / W1TR

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                      Can these fixes be applied to USB ports? That's the perpherial we're
                      all stuck with these days.

                      73 de Brian/K3KO

                      Terry G. Glagowski wrote:
                      > These folks use VXworks for embedded systems (C++ programming) or Real Time Java (Solaris), or a product I used to be a developer for… a real time extension to Unix and/or Windows… which would assure a hard real-time response of 100 microseconds for single CPU / Core systems, and 50 microseconds for multiple CPU / Core systems… The secret is to do some modifications to the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) and to write some proprietary kernel mode drivers for the peripheral devices of interest. Also, you could use Windows CE or its successors. There are a number of other real time operating systems (RTOS) as well.
                      >
                      > Terry / W1TR

                    • KD3TB
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                        I am running N1MM on a Win 7 64 bit computer with no major problems.

                        Irwin KD3TB

                        Thanks Joe. I was hoping to use 64 bit Win 7. Seems you can do that with
                        DxLabSuite but I would need to change from LPT to COM port. My radio is
                        a K3. I think N1MM won't work with 64 bit OS. ??

                        73,
                        Bud, K9ZT

                        > My understanding is that these are not memory mapped and thus
                        > not usable with the DirectIO drivers. Most of the USB to LPT
                        > adapters use something like the FTDI FT2232C (dual UART)
                        > http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/DataSheets/DS_FT2232D.pdf
                        > in the bit bang mode with a Windows printer driver (e.g. software
                        > converter).
                        >
                        > Since the dual UART supports a bit band mode, it would be
                        > possible to write a driver to control the I/O but it would
                        > be subject to all of the system timing issues of both Windows
                        > and the USB hardware (time division).
                        >
                        > 73,
                        >
                        > ... Joe, W4TV

                      • Joe Subich, W4TV
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                          > Can these fixes be applied to USB ports?

                          Not likely if you have more than one USB device.
                          Universal Serial Bus is a shared bus and multiple
                          devices are accommodated using a polled protocol.

                          73,

                          ... Joe, W4TV

                        • Rojomn
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                            How fast is the polling? Seems modern machine ought to be able to do
                            this easilly. It has no problem with many devices on one USB port and
                            they are much faster than CW keying and Radio Control.

                            Sent from iTouch
                            Twitter @WzeroMN
                            ICC WzeroMN