new computer - USB to LPT?

  • John, K3CT
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
      Is sending CW possible with a USB to LPT converter using a 32 bit version of
      Windows?
      I did not find anything in the manual and believe I read a message earlier
      that these converters are not useable.

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
        If I recall correctly, it is not possible because these adapters do not
        provide for on-off control of the line used for CW.

        73, Pete N4ZR
        Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

        On 1/1/2010 6:57 AM, John, K3CT wrote:
        > Is sending CW possible with a USB to LPT converter using a 32 bit version of
        > Windows?
        > I did not find anything in the manual and believe I read a message earlier
        > that these converters are not useable.
        >
        > John, K3CT

      • Joe Subich, W4TV
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
          My understanding is that these are not memory mapped and thus
          not usable with the DirectIO drivers. Most of the USB to LPT
          adapters use something like the FTDI FT2232C (dual UART)
          http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/DataSheets/DS_FT2232D.pdf
          in the bit bang mode with a Windows printer driver (e.g. software
          converter).

          Since the dual UART supports a bit band mode, it would be
          possible to write a driver to control the I/O but it would
          be subject to all of the system timing issues of both Windows
          and the USB hardware (time division).

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
            Thanks, Joe and John - I have captured this in the manual.

            The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

            > My understanding is that these are not memory mapped and thus
            > not usable with the DirectIO drivers. Most of the USB to LPT
            > adapters use something like the FTDI FT2232C (dual UART)
            > http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/DataSheets/DS_FT2232D.pdf
            > in the bit bang mode with a Windows printer driver (e.g. software
            > converter).
            >
            > Since the dual UART supports a bit band mode, it would be
            > possible to write a driver to control the I/O but it would
            > be subject to all of the system timing issues of both Windows
            > and the USB hardware (time division).
            >
            > 73,
            >
            > ... Joe, W4TV

          • Willy Wonka
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
              I ran into this problem when my (then) new laptop came with USB ports but neither Parallel nor Serial ports.  I solved it by moving to WinKeyer USB.  Works great.
              73, Peter W2CDO

              ________________________________

              The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations .com
              The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeaco n.net

              > My understanding is that these are not memory mapped and thus
              > not usable with the DirectIO drivers. Most of the USB to LPT
              > adapters use something like the FTDI FT2232C (dual UART)
              > http://www.ftdichip .com/Documents/ DataSheets/ DS_FT2232D. pdf
              > in the bit bang mode with a Windows printer driver (e.g. software
              > converter).
              >
              > Since the dual UART supports a bit band mode, it would be
              > possible to write a driver to control the I/O but it would
              > be subject to all of the system timing issues of both Windows
              > and the USB hardware (time division).
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > ... Joe, W4TV

            • Bud Morin
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                Thanks, John. HNY,

                73,
                Bud, K9ZT

                On 1/1/2010 5:57 AM, John, K3CT wrote:
                > Is sending CW possible with a USB to LPT converter using a 32 bit version of
                > Windows?
                > I did not find anything in the manual and believe I read a message earlier
                > that these converters are not useable.
                >
                > John, K3CT

              • Bud Morin
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                  Thanks again. HI.

                  Bud

                  On 1/1/2010 6:03 AM, Pete Smith wrote:
                  > If I recall correctly, it is not possible because these adapters do not
                  > provide for on-off control of the line used for CW.
                  >
                  > 73, Pete N4ZR
                  > Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
                  > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
                  >

                  > On 1/1/2010 6:57 AM, John, K3CT wrote:
                  >
                  >> Is sending CW possible with a USB to LPT converter using a 32 bit version of
                  >> Windows?
                  >> I did not find anything in the manual and believe I read a message earlier
                  >> that these converters are not useable.
                  >>
                  >> John, K3CT

                • Bud Morin
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                    Thanks Joe. I was hoping to use 64 bit Win 7. Seems you can do that with
                    DxLabSuite but I would need to change from LPT to COM port. My radio is
                    a K3. I think N1MM won't work with 64 bit OS. ??

                    73,
                    Bud, K9ZT

                  • Joe Subich, W4TV
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                      There should be no problem with Windows 7/64 if you are not
                      using serial or parallel port CW. The limitation is due to
                      the lack of a 64 bit DLportIO and appears to apply to Vista/64
                      as well.

                      If you use one of the WinKey solutions or CW, and are careful
                      in where you install both DXLab Suite and N1MM (I like
                      C:\Ham Programs\DXLab and C:\Ham Programs\N1MM), you should
                      not have any problems.

                      73,

                      ... Joe, W4TV

                    • WILLIS COOKE
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                        I am using N1MM with Windows 7-64 and I have demonstrated to myself that I can send CW with my K3 by keying the RTS and the PTT through DTR with a serial port card and a RS232 connection.  It appears to key as fast as 100 WPM but I can't be sure because I can't begin to copy that fast but I am convinced that it can key properly to 50 wpm.  I have been unable to use the USB converter for even rig control.  I have some problems even with my WinKeyer USB but I have been able to work around them.  I prefer to use the WinKeyer than the RTS, but RTS does work.  If DTR is used for PTT you sacrifice QSK.
                         Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
                        K5EWJ

                        ________________________________
                        There should be no problem with Windows 7/64 if you are not
                        using serial or parallel port CW. The limitation is due to
                        the lack of a 64 bit DLportIO and appears to apply to Vista/64
                        as well.

                        If you use one of the WinKey solutions or CW, and are careful
                        in where you install both DXLab Suite and N1MM (I like
                        C:\Ham Programs\DXLab and C:\Ham Programs\N1MM) , you should
                        not have any problems.

                        73,

                        ... Joe, W4TV

                      • Brian Alsop
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                          You wonder how those who run the fireworks shows or industrial systems
                          are coping with these "advanced" operating systems. I do know in some
                          cases they haven't abandoned DOS yet!

                          There must be a way to live with advanced op systems and turn on/off
                          things accurate to the millisecond or better.

                          73 de Brian/K3KO

                          Willy Wonka wrote:
                          > I ran into this problem when my (then) new laptop came with USB ports but neither Parallel nor Serial ports. I solved it by moving to WinKeyer USB. Works great.
                          > 73, Peter W2CDO
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Terry G. Glagowski
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                            These folks use VXworks for embedded systems (C++ programming) or Real Time Java (Solaris), or a product I used to be a developer for… a real time extension to Unix and/or Windows… which would assure a hard real-time response of 100 microseconds for single CPU / Core systems, and 50 microseconds for multiple CPU / Core systems… The secret is to do some modifications to the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) and to write some proprietary kernel mode drivers for the peripheral devices of interest. Also, you could use Windows CE or its successors. There are a number of other real time operating systems (RTOS) as well.

                            Terry / W1TR

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                              Can these fixes be applied to USB ports? That's the perpherial we're
                              all stuck with these days.

                              73 de Brian/K3KO

                              Terry G. Glagowski wrote:
                              > These folks use VXworks for embedded systems (C++ programming) or Real Time Java (Solaris), or a product I used to be a developer for… a real time extension to Unix and/or Windows… which would assure a hard real-time response of 100 microseconds for single CPU / Core systems, and 50 microseconds for multiple CPU / Core systems… The secret is to do some modifications to the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) and to write some proprietary kernel mode drivers for the peripheral devices of interest. Also, you could use Windows CE or its successors. There are a number of other real time operating systems (RTOS) as well.
                              >
                              > Terry / W1TR

                            • KD3TB
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                                I am running N1MM on a Win 7 64 bit computer with no major problems.

                                Irwin KD3TB

                                Thanks Joe. I was hoping to use 64 bit Win 7. Seems you can do that with
                                DxLabSuite but I would need to change from LPT to COM port. My radio is
                                a K3. I think N1MM won't work with 64 bit OS. ??

                                73,
                                Bud, K9ZT

                                > My understanding is that these are not memory mapped and thus
                                > not usable with the DirectIO drivers. Most of the USB to LPT
                                > adapters use something like the FTDI FT2232C (dual UART)
                                > http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/DataSheets/DS_FT2232D.pdf
                                > in the bit bang mode with a Windows printer driver (e.g. software
                                > converter).
                                >
                                > Since the dual UART supports a bit band mode, it would be
                                > possible to write a driver to control the I/O but it would
                                > be subject to all of the system timing issues of both Windows
                                > and the USB hardware (time division).
                                >
                                > 73,
                                >
                                > ... Joe, W4TV

                              • Joe Subich, W4TV
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                                  > Can these fixes be applied to USB ports?

                                  Not likely if you have more than one USB device.
                                  Universal Serial Bus is a shared bus and multiple
                                  devices are accommodated using a polled protocol.

                                  73,

                                  ... Joe, W4TV

                                • Rojomn
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                                    How fast is the polling? Seems modern machine ought to be able to do
                                    this easilly. It has no problem with many devices on one USB port and
                                    they are much faster than CW keying and Radio Control.

                                    Sent from iTouch
                                    Twitter @WzeroMN
                                    ICC WzeroMN