Re: [N1MM] Goals

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
      Hank, did you read the manual at
      <http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Info&highlight=goal#Setting_a_goal_for_the_contest>?
      It looks to me as if, assuming you're writing a text file and then
      importing it, you need to have the day in the contest and the Z hour,
      either a space or a comma, and then the goal. I presume that the goal
      display doesn't show anything until the day and date reaches the start
      date and hour for the current contest.

      73, Pete N4ZR
      Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

      On 1/1/2010 12:24 AM, W6SX Hank Garretson wrote:
      > Help please. V9.12.6
      >
      > Something has changed. In the past, I've manually typed in Goals like this
      >
      > 0 50
      > 1 50
      > . .
      > . .
      > 23 50
      >
      > I used to get Goal = 50 in the Info window and I think a line across
      > the graph at 50. Now I get Goal = 0 and no line.
      >
      > I've manually changed Goals to
      >
      > 100 50
      > 101 50
      > etc
      >
      > Still get Goal = 0 and no line.
      >
      > What has changed and/or what am I doing wrong?
      >

      > 73,
      >
      > Hank, W6SX
      >
      > Mammoth Lakes, California
      >
      > Elevation 8083 feet in John Muir's Range of Light

    • Hank Garretson
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
        On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

        > Hank, did you read the manual at
        > <
        > http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Info&highlight=goal#Setting_a_goal_for_the_contest>?

        Thank you Pete.

        Hee hee. Yes, for once I did read the manual!

        > It looks to me as if, assuming you're writing a text file and then
        > importing it, you need to have the day in the contest and the Z hour,
        > either a space or a comma, and then the goal. I presume that the goal
        > display doesn't show anything until the day and date reaches the start
        > date and hour for the current contest.

        I am not importing a text file. Instead I used before and am now trying to
        use the Goal button on the Info window. This is described in your
        reference.

        Months or years ago, without reading the manual, I clicked on the Goal
        button. When I clicked, there were twenty-four lines labeled 0 through 23.
        I manually put 50 in the Goal column for each hour. That worked. The
        button said Goal=50 and I got a line at 50 across the bar graph.

        Last night in the RU practice, it read Goal=0 and there was no line. After
        the practice, I clicked on Goal=0 and saw that every row, 0 through 23 still
        said 50. Then I read the manual and saw that it said format is dmm, so I
        changed the hour column to read 101, 102, etc, still with 50 in the goal
        column. No joy.

        I am baffled, because it worked in the OK RTTY. The only change between OK
        RTTY and now, is I upgraded from V9.11.0 to V9.12.6.

        I'd like to revert to V9.11.0 to see if that will fix my Goal problem. Is
        it possible to revert? If so how?

        Any other thoughts or ideas? Anyone?

        73,

        Hank, W6SX

        On 1/1/2010 12:24 AM, W6SX Hank Garretson wrote:
        > Help please. V9.12.6
        >
        > Something has changed. In the past, I've manually typed in Goals like this
        >
        > 0 50
        > 1 50
        > . .
        > . .
        > 23 50
        >
        > I used to get Goal = 50 in the Info window and I think a line across
        > the graph at 50. Now I get Goal = 0 and no line.
        >
        > I've manually changed Goals to
        >
        > 100 50
        > 101 50
        > etc
        >
        > Still get Goal = 0 and no line.
        >
        > What has changed and/or what am I doing wrong?
        >

        > 73,
        >
        > Hank, W6SX

      • Robert Chudek - K0RC
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
          "I'd like to revert to V9.11.0 to see if that will fix
          my Goal problem. Is it possible to revert? If so how?"

          Yes, you can move forward or backward within the version 9.x.x series of program updates. Just download the older version you want to test and install it as if it was an "upgrade".

          73 de Bob - K├śRC in MN

          Hee hee. Yes, for once I did read the manual!

          > It looks to me as if, assuming you're writing a text file and then
          > importing it, you need to have the day in the contest and the Z hour,
          > either a space or a comma, and then the goal. I presume that the goal
          > display doesn't show anything until the day and date reaches the start
          > date and hour for the current contest.

          I am not importing a text file. Instead I used before and am now trying to
          use the Goal button on the Info window. This is described in your
          reference.

          Months or years ago, without reading the manual, I clicked on the Goal
          button. When I clicked, there were twenty-four lines labeled 0 through 23.
          I manually put 50 in the Goal column for each hour. That worked. The
          button said Goal=50 and I got a line at 50 across the bar graph.

          Last night in the RU practice, it read Goal=0 and there was no line. After
          the practice, I clicked on Goal=0 and saw that every row, 0 through 23 still
          said 50. Then I read the manual and saw that it said format is dmm, so I
          changed the hour column to read 101, 102, etc, still with 50 in the goal
          column. No joy.

          I am baffled, because it worked in the OK RTTY. The only change between OK
          RTTY and now, is I upgraded from V9.11.0 to V9.12.6.

          I'd like to revert to V9.11.0 to see if that will fix my Goal problem. Is
          it possible to revert? If so how?

          Any other thoughts or ideas? Anyone?

          73,

          Hank, W6SX

          On 1/1/2010 12:24 AM, W6SX Hank Garretson wrote:
          > Help please. V9.12.6
          >
          > Something has changed. In the past, I've manually typed in Goals like this
          >
          > 0 50
          > 1 50
          > . .
          > . .
          > 23 50
          >
          > I used to get Goal = 50 in the Info window and I think a line across
          > the graph at 50. Now I get Goal = 0 and no line.
          >
          > I've manually changed Goals to
          >
          > 100 50
          > 101 50
          > etc
          >
          > Still get Goal = 0 and no line.
          >
          > What has changed and/or what am I doing wrong?
          >

          > 73,
          >
          > Hank, W6SX

        • Hank Garretson
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
            On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@...>wrote:

            Yes, you can move forward or backward within the version 9.x.x series of
            > program updates. Just download the older version you want to test and
            > install it as if it was an "upgrade".

            Thanks Bob. I reverted to V9.11.0 and still no joy.

            Clicking on Goal, I have numbers in the columns, but the button still reads
            Goal = 0.

            Next, I tried importing 2009 Round-Up log. It still reads Goal = 0. When I
            click on the Goal button, rates from each of my 2009 hours are there. But,
            the button still reads Goal = 0.

            I'm at a lost on what to try next.

            73,

            Hank, W6SX

          • N1MM
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
              The button will show the goal for the current hour. If the contest has
              not yet started, you will not see a goal. If you want to simulate this,
              change the time on your computer to a time within the contest time
              period. The first hour of RTTY Roundup is 1800 on Jan 2. You should
              enter 118 as the hour (dhh) for the first hour.

              Tom - N1MM

              Hank Garretson wrote:
> [...]
              >> column. No joy.
              >>
              >> I am baffled, because it worked in the OK RTTY. The only change between OK
              >> RTTY and now, is I upgraded from V9.11.0 to V9.12.6.
              >>
              >> I'd like to revert to V9.11.0 to see if that will fix my Goal problem. Is
              >> it possible to revert? If so how?
              >>
              >> Any other thoughts or ideas? Anyone?
              >>
              >> 73,
              >>
              >> Hank, W6SX
              >>
              >> On 1/1/2010 12:24 AM, W6SX Hank Garretson wrote:
              >>
              >>> Help please. V9.12.6
              >>>
              >>> Something has changed. In the past, I've manually typed in Goals like
              >>>
              >> this
              >>
              >>> 0 50
              >>> 1 50
              >>> . .
              >>> . .
              >>> 23 50
              >>>
              >>> I used to get Goal = 50 in the Info window and I think a line across
              >>> the graph at 50. Now I get Goal = 0 and no line.

              >>> 101 50
              >>> etc
              >>>
              >>> Still get Goal = 0 and no line.
              >>>
              >>> What has changed and/or what am I doing wrong?
              >>>

              >>> 73,
              >>>
              >>> Hank, W6SX

            • Hank Garretson
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
                On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 11:45 PM, N1MM <tfwagner@...> wrote:

                > The button will show the goal for the current hour. If the contest has
                > not yet started, you will not see a goal. If you want to simulate this,
                > change the time on your computer to a time within the contest time
                > period. The first hour of RTTY Roundup is 1800 on Jan 2. You should
                > enter 118 as the hour (dhh) for the first hour.

                Thank you Tom.

                I changed computer date and time as you suggested and Goals started
                working. Thank you.

                But, ... after changing computer date and time back to the real time, it
                still works. For a test, I opened a new CQ WPX RTTY log in the database
                with the Start Date as 13 Feb 10. Goals still work with the goals loaded
                for RTTY Round-Up.

                So, Goals is back to working the way it did for me before. I'm not sure
                what caused the hiccup. It's a mystery to me.

                Thanks for a super program Tom. Thanks to all the members of your top-notch
                team. And, thanks to N4ZR and K0RC for your help.

                73,

                Hank, W6SX

                Mammoth Lakes, California

                Elevation 8083 feet in John Muir's Range of Light

              • g3vao
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                  Hank you seem to have solved the problem, however, I also had been seeing the same problem but discovered if I exported the changed goals and then reimported them, the problem went away and I saw the targets and line in the info window.

                  Maybe just another way around the problem!

                  HNY to all

                  Mike
                  G3VAO

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                    On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 12:41 AM, g3vao <G3VAO@...> wrote:

                    > Hank you seem to have solved the problem, however, I also had been
                    > seeing the same problem but discovered if I exported the changed goals and
                    > then reimported them, the problem went away and I saw the targets and line
                    > in the info window.

                    Thanks Mike,

                    Not sure I solved the problem. Like you, the problem went away. Everything
                    worked as I wanted in the RTTY Round-Up, so I'm a happy camper. Think it
                    may have had something to do with quitting and restarting N1MM and rebooting
                    the computer. It's a mystery, but it's working!