Netbook and N1MM

  • aburkefl
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 30, 2009
      Is anyone running N1MM on a Netbook? I'm looking for something for mobile operations that would be significantly smaller than a "standard" laptop. I realize many of the keyboards are much smaller, but putting calls and exchanges isn't exactly the same as word processing. I'm hoping a netbook would solve the "space" problem in the truck.

      I would anticipate using N1MM with a microKEYER interface, so all I should need is a USB port.

      Art - N4PJ
    • Jerry
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 30, 2009
        Art

        I have installed and am running N1mm in a Toshiba netbook. It has a full
        size keyboard and all is ok.

        Big thing is the small non ( by PC standards) aspect ratio screen. It is
        hard to place all the windows I use (with N1MM) on my desktop and laptop.
        So far have one working serial port ( USB- Serial cable).

        It's nice to have 8-9 hours of operation versus the 2-3 hours of battery
        operation with a laptop.

        Also am going to try to use an external sound card rather than the
        internal one which only has a mike input.
        Good luck
        Jerry NO2T

        At 02:47 PM 12/30/2009 +0000, you wrote:
        >Is anyone running N1MM on a Netbook? I'm looking for something for mobile
        operations that would be significantly smaller than a "standard" laptop. I
        realize many of the keyboards are much smaller, but putting calls and
        exchanges isn't exactly the same as word processing. I'm hoping a netbook
        would solve the "space" problem in the truck.

        >I would anticipate using N1MM with a microKEYER interface, so all I should
        need is a USB port.

        >Art - N4PJ

        12/29/09 07:47:00

      • Marc - ON7SS - OO9O
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 30, 2009
          Art,

          I am running a netbook in the shack (with extra keyboard, large screen
          and mouse) but N1MM (also Logger32) is running fine here with the
          Microkeyer.
          The netbook is surprisingly one of the best pc's I ever had.

          73 Marc, ON7SS - OO9O

          ON7SS - OO9O
          *Amateur Radio Station**
          *Marc Domen*
          * UBA HF Contest Manager *
          *http://www.uba.be
          http://www.on7ss.be

          aburkefl schreef:

          > Is anyone running N1MM on a Netbook? I'm looking for something for
          > mobile operations that would be significantly smaller than a
          > "standard" laptop. I realize many of the keyboards are much smaller,
          > but putting calls and exchanges isn't exactly the same as word
          > processing. I'm hoping a netbook would solve the "space" problem in
          > the truck.
          >
          > I would anticipate using N1MM with a microKEYER interface, so all I
          > should need is a USB port.
          >
          > Art - N4PJ

        • Jim Snider
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 30, 2009
            I run it on an acer aspire one with no issues. Mine runs win xp

            w8bs

            Jim Snider
            w8bs@...

            -sent from my Treo-
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 30, 2009
              Art,

              I agree with Marc. I have a Samsung netbook, with XP Home and I love it.
              We used N1MM on it to work both RTTY (with a Signalink external sound card)
              and CW before CQWW CW at 9L7NS. Because we had laptops with larger screens
              (considering the advanced age of all the ops) and full size keyboards, we
              used the netbook as the network "server" and email checking computer during
              the contest (9L5A). I used it for a 6M grid expedition last year (operating
              from my Jeep), using WSJT for meteor scatter. So far, it's been my best
              computer buy.

              73, Bud N7CW

              _____

              *http://www.uba <http://www.uba.be> be
              http://www.on7ss <http://www.on7ss.be> be

              aburkefl schreef:

              > Is anyone running N1MM on a Netbook? I'm looking for something for
              > mobile operations that would be significantly smaller than a
              > "standard" laptop. I realize many of the keyboards are much smaller,
              > but putting calls and exchanges isn't exactly the same as word
              > processing. I'm hoping a netbook would solve the "space" problem in
              > the truck.
              >
              > I would anticipate using N1MM with a microKEYER interface, so all I
              > should need is a USB port.
              >
              > Art - N4PJ

            • Tim - N3TL
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 30, 2009
                Art and all,

                I'm also running N1MM and many other ham-related programs on an Acer Aspire
                One. All perform well - many simultaneously - on the Netbook.

                73, and Happy New Year!

                Tim - N3TL

                _____

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 31, 2009
                  Obviously can't vouch for a netbook, since I've yet to use one, but,
                  on my laptop and on my wife's laptop, when you plug something into the MIKE jack, a dialog box appears, asking if you want to use it as a MIC input or a LINE input.

                  Art - N4PJ

                  --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Jerry <no2t@...> wrote:

                  > Art
                  >
                  > I have installed and am running N1mm in a Toshiba netbook. It has a full
                  > size keyboard and all is ok.
                  >
                  > Big thing is the small non ( by PC standards) aspect ratio screen. It is
                  > hard to place all the windows I use (with N1MM) on my desktop and laptop.
                  > So far have one working serial port ( USB- Serial cable).
                  >
                  > It's nice to have 8-9 hours of operation versus the 2-3 hours of battery
                  > operation with a laptop.
                  >
                  > Also am going to try to use an external sound card rather than the
                  > internal one which only has a mike input.
                  > Good luck
                  > Jerry NO2T
                  >

                  > At 02:47 PM 12/30/2009 +0000, you wrote:
                  > >Is anyone running N1MM on a Netbook? I'm looking for something for mobile
                  > operations that would be significantly smaller than a "standard" laptop. I
                  > realize many of the keyboards are much smaller, but putting calls and
                  > exchanges isn't exactly the same as word processing. I'm hoping a netbook
                  > would solve the "space" problem in the truck.
                  > >
                  > >I would anticipate using N1MM with a microKEYER interface, so all I should
                  > need is a USB port.
                  > >
                  > >Art - N4PJ

                  > 12/29/09 07:47:00

                • Elsie & Gerry
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                    I'm running N1MM on an Acer D250 netbook. I have it set up for CW, PTT and CAT (IC706) via one USB interface and digital via speaker out and mike in. Works great although the 10" screen is a bit small but for DXpedition use it OK.

                    Gerry VE6LB/VA6XDX
                    DXCC Field Checker-Southern Alberta
                    VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                    (403) 251-0384
                    ve6lb@...
                    http://www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

                  • aburkefl
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 2, 2010
                      Tnx Gerry. My intent is to use the netbook for mobile operations (mostly county hunting) as opposed to a full-blown contest (with the exception of the Florida QSO Party!

                      Art - N4PJ

                      --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Elsie & Gerry" <telwest@...> wrote:

                      > I'm running N1MM on an Acer D250 netbook. I have it set up for CW, PTT and CAT (IC706) via one USB interface and digital via speaker out and mike in. Works great although the 10" screen is a bit small but for DXpedition use it OK.
                      >
                      > Gerry VE6LB/VA6XDX
                      > DXCC Field Checker-Southern Alberta
                      > VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                      > (403) 251-0384
                      > ve6lb@...
                      > http://www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

                    • Rick
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
                        Can't get Digital Voice Keyer going on a Toshiba NB205.

                        In the audio setup tab, my settings:

                        1--Zero or Single Card...

                        SELECT DEVICE
                        Realtek HD Audio Input (there is no dropdown menu selection for a device that does both input and output)

                        SELECT INPUT LINE
                        Mic Volume

                        SELECT LINE TO MUTE
                        blank

                        RECORDING BITS
                        16

                        RECORDING SAMPLE RATE
                        11025

                        RADIO INPUT PORT
                        Mic Volume

                        Doing a recording using CTRL-SHIFT-FNx gives the normal indications (Recording Started...Recording Saved)

                        But playback using FNx buttons results in "Err 14- Device not found - [path/file]"

                        I believe my file path settings for "wav" and "letters" are correct. I can also play these files to check, using Windows Media Player.

                        Any ideas from the group? 73 Rick N6CY

                        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "aburkefl" <aburkefl@...> wrote:

                        > Obviously can't vouch for a netbook, since I've yet to use one, but,
                        > on my laptop and on my wife's laptop, when you plug something into the MIKE jack, a dialog box appears, asking if you want to use it as a MIC input or a LINE input.
                        >
                        > Art - N4PJ
                      • K1TTT
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
                          What operating system? What are the other options in the devices list?

                          The 'line to mute' should almost always be the same as the input line for
                          the mic.

                          David Robbins K1TTT
                          e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                          web: http://www.k1ttt.net

                        • Rick
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 10, 2010
                            David (thanks),

                            OS: Windows XP SP3
                            Other devices: (one other)
                            Realtek HD Audio Output

                            73 Rick N6CY

                            --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "K1TTT" <k1ttt@...> wrote:

                            > What operating system? What are the other options in the devices list?
                            >
                            > The 'line to mute' should almost always be the same as the input line for
                            > the mic.
                            >

                            > David Robbins K1TTT
                            > e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                            > web: http://www.k1ttt.net

                          • K1TTT
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 10, 2010
                              If you select the hd audio output as the device, what selections are there
                              in the other list boxes? The 'normal' thing is to select the speaker/output
                              device and then select microphone for the input and line to mute, and
                              line-in as the radio input port. Can you do that?

                              David Robbins K1TTT
                              e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                              web: http://www.k1ttt.net

                            • Rick
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 10, 2010
                                If I select the "REALTEK HD AUDIO OUTPUT" as the SELECT DEVICE,

                                Select Input Line: blank, and drop-down menu is blank
                                Select Line to Mute (choices): Wave, SW Synth, CD Player, Line Volume, Mic Volume, PC Beep
                                Recording Bits: 16
                                Recording Sampling Rate: 11025
                                Radio Input Port: blank, and drop-down menu is blank

                                There is one other option under "SELECT DEVICE" called "default" but its behavior is similar to REALTEK HD AUDIO OUTPUT.

                              • K1TTT
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 11, 2010
                                  If you select 'default' there should be no way to choose ports in n1mm.
                                  N1mm then uses the windows selected recording and playback ports. So try
                                  selecting 'default' and then close n1mm. Then go to the windows volume
                                  control, make sure the 'Wave' and master output volume controls aren't
                                  muted. Then select the recording devices on the volume control and select
                                  the microphone as the recording source. Then restart n1mm and see if you
                                  can record and playback.

                                  David Robbins K1TTT
                                  e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                                  web: http://www.k1ttt.net

                                • Rick
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 13, 2010
                                    Thank you David. I will try this and get back to the list with results. I've got another computer in the station computer spot right now. 73 Rick N6CY