RE: [N1MM] Sounds

  • Gil rojomn Charter
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 1, 2009
      NO IT does not work. I DO HAVE IT CORRECTLY ISNTALLED. It DOES work IF AND
      ONLY IF I use the default sound card.

      1.I have the OCX installed. It says it is and it is.
      2.The INTERNAL ON BOARD sound card is the one I wish to use (NHOT) a
      secondary card.
      3.The secondary card (A USB CARD) is used for WINDOWS sounds and is set as
      default.

      The on board card works in MMNVARI and in MMTTY and the digital windows all
      work fine.

      The on board card does NOT work to send WAV files as it should. I get the
      error 14 Device not found. That is wrong.

      NO order of installation of sound card should mean anything whatsoever. The
      controls should find the correct device ID and pass it to the application.
      This one is NOT.

      Gil Rochester ,MN W0MN
      ICC and twitter WzeroMN
      44.082036N 92.513219W 1050'

      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 1, 2009
        > NO order of installation of sound card should mean anything
        > whatsoever. The controls should find the correct device ID
        > and pass it to the application. This one is NOT.

        The new OCX does not change the requirement that the Wave In ID,
        Wave Out ID and Mixer ID be the same. That is an issue with the
        basic code in N1MM Logger. As such, installation order matters.

        There is no problem with the new OCX as long as the ID requirement
        is met. However, if the IDs do not fit the "Windows 95" paradigm,
        the Mixer ID that N1MM uses as a pointer to the soundcard is
        greater than the highest numbered "wave" output device you can
        get a "device not found" error. I can duplicate the errors if
        the soundcards are not installed in the correct order and the
        unneeded inputs are not disabled.

        > The on board card works in MMNVARI and in MMTTY and the
        > digital windows all work fine.

        This is a red herring ... MMVARI and MMTTY do not use the Mixer
        ID (mixer device) to select the soundcard. Since they do not do
        any mic/line switching, MMVARI and MMTTY use Wave In and Wave Out.
        Use of the "Windows 95" Wave devices has a benefit it Vista/Win 7
        in that the wave device interface is compatible with the "endpoint"
        paradigm but the hardware (mixer) centric model is not supported
        by the shared audio system in Vista/Win 7.

        The audio interface is different between MMTTY/MMVARI (and Rick's
        Digital Interface code) and the N1MM Logger DVK (Dave's OCX code).
        When one understands the differences and learns to work with them,
        the software works. However, trying to force the software to work
        the way one wishes it would work is always doomed to failure.

        73,

        ... Joe, W4TV

      • Rojomn
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 1, 2009
          Well at least you admit the problem and that proves it does not
          support Windows Vista nor 7. It is something that has been known for a
          long time and should have been fixed long ago. My bet it is a very few
          LOC to fix. There is no way to control sound card ID and you must
          support a seperate one for every input and output. that is how it
          works and in my opinion Micrisoft did it right here. I guess we are
          all just supposed to drink the cool aid here and go away?

          Sent from iTouch
          Twitter @WzeroMN
          ICC WzeroMN

          On Dec 1, 2009, at 9:56, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

          >> NO order of installation of sound card should mean anything
          >> whatsoever. The controls should find the correct device ID
          >> and pass it to the application. This one is NOT.
          >
          > The new OCX does not change the requirement that the Wave In ID,
          > Wave Out ID and Mixer ID be the same. That is an issue with the
          > basic code in N1MM Logger. As such, installation order matters.
          >
          > There is no problem with the new OCX as long as the ID requirement
          > is met. However, if the IDs do not fit the "Windows 95" paradigm,
          > the Mixer ID that N1MM uses as a pointer to the soundcard is
          > greater than the highest numbered "wave" output device you can
          > get a "device not found" error. I can duplicate the errors if
          > the soundcards are not installed in the correct order and the
          > unneeded inputs are not disabled.
          >
          >> The on board card works in MMNVARI and in MMTTY and the
          >> digital windows all work fine.
          >
          > This is a red herring ... MMVARI and MMTTY do not use the Mixer
          > ID (mixer device) to select the soundcard. Since they do not do
          > any mic/line switching, MMVARI and MMTTY use Wave In and Wave Out.
          > Use of the "Windows 95" Wave devices has a benefit it Vista/Win 7
          > in that the wave device interface is compatible with the "endpoint"
          > paradigm but the hardware (mixer) centric model is not supported
          > by the shared audio system in Vista/Win 7.
          >
          > The audio interface is different between MMTTY/MMVARI (and Rick's
          > Digital Interface code) and the N1MM Logger DVK (Dave's OCX code).
          > When one understands the differences and learns to work with them,
          > the software works. However, trying to force the software to work
          > the way one wishes it would work is always doomed to failure.
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > ... Joe, W4TV

        • Joe Subich, W4TV
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 1, 2009
            > Well at least you admit the problem and that proves it does not
            > support Windows Vista nor 7.

            Don't put words in my mouth. There IS NO PROBLEM if you work
            within the design parameters of the OCX. Install your sound
            cards correctly so that the "Wave" (endpoint) IDs match with
            the "Mixer" (device) IDs and it will work. Decide that you
            are not going to work within the parameters of the OCX and
            it won't work.

            > It is something that has been known for a long time and
            > should have been fixed long ago. My bet it is a very few
            > LOC to fix.

            It is not a "very few LOC" to fix. I've worked with Vista
            sound issues ever since the beta releases and it will take
            David quite a few hours of digging into the internals of the
            new interface in order to duplicate the current functionality.
            In addition, he will probably find it necessary to do separate
            drivers (OCX) for the old interface and Vista/Win7 as well as
            add "conditional code" to the base program to change not only
            which driver is loaded but modify the user configuration
            interface based on the operating system.

            Don't forget, N1MM Logger is the effort of an entirely
            volunteer set of developers - many of whom have more than
            one job and are active contesters. They all do an amazing
            job given the resources and available time but they may not
            always be able to spend the hundreds of man hours necessary
            to satisfy you. There are other Windows based contest loggers.

          • K1TTT
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 1, 2009
              Well, it was more than a few loc to fix, it included an upgrade to the
              development environment to vs-2005, the device driver sdk to get the new
              vista api's, purchase of a new computer and a couple sound cards to test
              with, and a couple months of debugging and testing. The problem is that
              vista changed the whole underlying mixer and device enumeration mechanism so
              the older simple methods no longer worked and provided incorrect lists of
              devices... this was all done about a year ago and has been tested and is in
              regular use here and at other users who have asked for it.

              Now, did you follow my procedure to install the old one again, write down
              the lists of devices and ports then install the new one and recheck the
              lists??? If so, send me the lists, they should have changed quite a bit if
              the ocx was actually installed. If they did change and it still didn't get
              the right devices tell me what the devices are so I can see if there is
              something unique about them. One warning, DO NOT change default devices or
              enable/disable ports in the windows or mfg control panels AFTER starting
              n1mm, one ugly side effect of the vista/win-7 changes is that the device
              indexes change when you do that and will break the ocx.

              If they didn't change, try searching your whole machine for another copy of
              the ocx. Perhaps left over from a previous installation somewhere else. Be
              sure to check all hidden and system files/directories in the search. If you
              find another copy of the old one, delete it and try the new install again.
              "maybe" there is a bug in the installer when putting it in a non-standard
              directory, but if it is in the same directory as the logger exe file it
              should be detected anyway, but not if there is another copy 'properly'
              installed with the right registry entries elsewhere.

              David Robbins K1TTT
              e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
              web: http://www.k1ttt.net

            • K1TTT
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 1, 2009
                Actually the reason the old ocx works in 'default' selection is that the
                default wave device id doesn't care about the mixer selection. But of
                course that limits what you can do with it since it doesn't give you access
                to the input and output volume and fader controls to do the so2r switching
                or the other port control features. To get those under vista/win-7 the new
                ocx has to enumerate the endpoints using the new vista api's and then trace
                them back through the device tree to find the mixer or mux to get the master
                volume and device selections... a slightly different process than in win95
                through XP where you easily got a list of mixers and those had more direct
                links to input and output controls. The really nasty part in vista/win-7 is
                that the device trees are flexible and can change without installing new
                devices, all you have to do is enable or disable ports in the control panel
                and the enumerations change.

                David Robbins K1TTT
                e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                web: http://www.k1ttt.net

              • K1TTT
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 6, 2009
                  Yes, has been working fine here on vista for quite a while. I haven't heard
                  any complaints from other win-7 users yet, but maybe there aren't enough out
                  there yet. I'm getting ready now to order up a couple brand new win7 boxes
                  to replace some older machines here so I should be able to do my own testing
                  shortly.

                  David Robbins K1TTT
                  e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                  web: http://www.k1ttt.net

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 13, 2009
                    If you are still having problems download this:
                    http://www.k1ttt.net/n1mm/n1mmwavetestapp.zip

                    Unzip it and put the exe file in your n1mm directory. Run it with the
                    original ocx and send me a snapshot of the report that it generates when you
                    hit the 'report' button. and add a note about what version of the ocx is
                    displayed just to the left of the report button. Then install the vista ocx
                    and repeat, send the snapshot of the report and what version of the ocx is
                    displayed.

                    David Robbins K1TTT
                    e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                    web: http://www.k1ttt.net

                    ok, one of the screen shots is interesting. i don't care what mmvari shows,
                    nor do i care what you select for the top box where the so2r options are.
                    what i need to see are:

                    with the old ocx:

                    1. the device select list box where it shows the cards

                    2. what shows up in the input list box when you select each of the cards in
                    the device list

                    This is shot 003 and 008. When Microphone is selected then input shows
                    microphone. Anything else it shows Blank.

                    with the new ocx:

[...]

                  • Ron Rossi
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 14, 2009
                      Dave,

                      Does your test app read the settings from N1MM and use them as the
                      starting point of always start from "default"?

                      I was thinking the other day that having a sound setup window that
                      allowed configuration without having to try and figure out what options
                      1, 2, 3, or 4 really meant would be great. When I opened your test app I
                      thought "Wow. This is pretty close to what I was just thinking about". I
                      have only just brought up the test app this morning. But I am logged in
                      remotely and cannot really play with it. I will try it this evening when
                      I am home.

                      By the way I am playing with the WaveTestApp because I have changed to
                      yet another sound card in my logging computer and was running into a new
                      set of strange results which I am trying to work through without
                      bothering anyone. For example my webcam mic gets chosen as the QSO
                      recording mic even if I select my SoundMax AUX input for this.

                      I run WindowsXP Pro SP3.

                      73 es God Bless de KK1L...Ron Rossi (kk1l@...) <><
                      QTH: Jericho, Vermont
                      My page: http://home.comcast.net/~kk1l

                      K1TTT wrote:

                      > If you are still having problems download this:
                      > http://www.k1ttt.net/n1mm/n1mmwavetestapp.zip
                      > <http://www.k1ttt.net/n1mm/n1mmwavetestapp.zip>
                      >
                      > Unzip it and put the exe file in your n1mm directory. Run it with the
                      > original ocx and send me a snapshot of the report that it generates
                      > when you
                      > hit the 'report' button. and add a note about what version of the ocx is
                      > displayed just to the left of the report button. Then install the
                      > vista ocx
                      > and repeat, send the snapshot of the report and what version of the ocx is
                      > displayed.
                      >
                      > David Robbins K1TTT
                      > e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@... <mailto:k1ttt%40arrl.net>
                      > web: http://www.k1ttt.net <http://www.k1ttt.net>
                      > <telnet://dxc.k1ttt.net>

                    • Ron Rossi
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 14, 2009
                        Sorry...meant for Dave directly :(

                        Ron Rossi wrote:
                        > Dave,
                        >
                        > Does your test app read the settings from N1MM and use them as the
                        > starting point of always start from "default"?
                        >
                        > I was thinking the other day that having a sound setup window that
                        > allowed configuration without having to try and figure out what options
                        > 1, 2, 3, or 4 really meant would be great. When I opened your test app I
                        > thought "Wow. This is pretty close to what I was just thinking about". I
                        > have only just brought up the test app this morning. But I am logged in
                        > remotely and cannot really play with it. I will try it this evening when
                        > I am home.
                        >
                        > By the way I am playing with the WaveTestApp because I have changed to
                        > yet another sound card in my logging computer and was running into a new
                        > set of strange results which I am trying to work through without
                        > bothering anyone. For example my webcam mic gets chosen as the QSO
                        > recording mic even if I select my SoundMax AUX input for this.
                        >
                        > I run WindowsXP Pro SP3.
                        >
                        > 73 es God Bless de KK1L...Ron Rossi (kk1l@...) <><
                        > QTH: Jericho, Vermont
                        > My page: http://home.comcast.net/~kk1l
                        >

                        > K1TTT wrote:
                        >
                        >> If you are still having problems download this:
                        >> http://www.k1ttt.net/n1mm/n1mmwavetestapp.zip
                        >> <http://www.k1ttt.net/n1mm/n1mmwavetestapp.zip>
                        >>
                        >> Unzip it and put the exe file in your n1mm directory. Run it with the
                        >> original ocx and send me a snapshot of the report that it generates
                        >> when you
                        >> hit the 'report' button. and add a note about what version of the ocx is
                        >> displayed just to the left of the report button. Then install the
                        >> vista ocx
                        >> and repeat, send the snapshot of the report and what version of the ocx is
                        >> displayed.
                        >>
                        >> David Robbins K1TTT
                        >> e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@... <mailto:k1ttt%40arrl.net>
                        >> web: http://www.k1ttt.net <http://www.k1ttt.net>
                        >> AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://dxc.k1ttt.net
                        >> <telnet://dxc.k1ttt.net>

                      • K1TTT
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 14, 2009
                          No, it always starts from 'default' and doesn't save any settings at all...
                          it is a dumb test app just meant to exercise the functions of the ocx.

                          David Robbins K1TTT
                          e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                          web: http://www.k1ttt.net