Signalink and Microham USB

  • VK4TI
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8 1:29 PM
      MicroHam USB II interface and Signalink

      Greetings all, I operate a multi op contest station an hour and a half's drive away and thats were the radios and PCs live..

      I want to interface them with N1MM for DVK purposes with both a signalink and a MicroHam USB II interface..Is there any issues ?

      From what I gather the Signalink will work ok but needs drivers fitted but I get conflicting reports regarding the MicroHam USB II interface.. It seems it can be modified quite simply to do the job..if you have experience on both could you please run me through the setup..the next challenge is the site does not have internet so any setup (downloads etc) needs to be done before going to the remote..

      Thanks in advance

      Trent VK4TI
    • Joe Subich, W4TV
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8 7:38 PM
        > I want to interface them with N1MM for DVK purposes with both
        > a signalink and a MicroHam USB II interface..Is there any issues ?

        USB Interface II does not support DVK. It is designed for
        rig control/CW/PTT with a couple audio isolation transformers
        intended for use with the computer sound card in digital mode
        operation.

        Signalink USB is of marginal use for DVK as it has no mic
        input and no provision for switching between the soundcard
        output and live mic unless the user builds a custom cable
        with relay.

        73,

        ... Joe, W4TV

      • jpescatore
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9 5:07 AM
          After a lot of futzing with the Signalink USB (interfaced to a TS 850) I've come to the same conclusion - but I'm not sure why it won't work.

          With the Mixw2 RTTY software, I can have that software send audio through the Signalink into the ACC conn in the back of the 850. I can pick up the mic and talk as well. I've talked to another ham who has gotten N1MM/mmtty for RTTY to work with the Signalink USB.

          But I can't seem to get N1MM or my general purpose logging software (N3FJP) to send audio through that same path. Seems like it shouldn't matter whether it is AFSK deedle deedles or SSB audio .wav files, but it does.

          With an old Rigblaster mic interface, I can get it all to work - but I hit the old ground loop problems and have to stick some iso transformers in.

          John K3TN

          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

          > > I want to interface them with N1MM for DVK purposes with both
          > > a signalink and a MicroHam USB II interface..Is there any issues ?
          >
          > USB Interface II does not support DVK. It is designed for
          > rig control/CW/PTT with a couple audio isolation transformers
          > intended for use with the computer sound card in digital mode
          > operation.
          >

          > Signalink USB is of marginal use for DVK as it has no mic
          > input and no provision for switching between the soundcard
          > output and live mic unless the user builds a custom cable
          > with relay.
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > ... Joe, W4TV
        • Joe Subich, W4TV
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 9 6:56 AM
            > But I can't seem to get N1MM or my general purpose logging
            > software (N3FJP) to send audio through that same path. Seems
            > like it shouldn't matter whether it is AFSK deedle deedles or
            > SSB audio .wav files, but it does.

            It depends on the PTT settings in your application and the
            particular Kenwood transceiver. Some Kenwood rigs switch
            the audio input based on the PTT source ... this requires
            PTT on the mic connector or pin 13 of the ACC connector for
            microphone (voice) input and PTT on pin 9 for audio on the
            ACC connector (mutes mic).

            73,

            ... Joe, W4TV