Re: [N1MM] Lost in ESM-Land

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
      Hi Art - a couple of things. You should try to get used to noticing
      the highlighted button and use that as your cue. If you get out of
      sync, you can always go to the function keys themselves. If you
      don't want to send "AGN?" to ask the other guy to repeat his
      exchange, all you have to remember is F2 for your exchange, and F3 to
      send the TU message and log the QSO. If you find yourself needing to
      log what you got without sending CW, Alt+Enter does the trick and
      eliminates the scramble for the ESC key when the CW starts.

      73, Pete N4ZR

      At 02:19 PM 6/30/2009, Art Burke wrote:
      >During Field Day I "spelled" the main CW op several times. He is
      >even more familiar with N1MM than I and he immediately went to ESM
      >when he started operating.
      >
      >During my relief periods, I sometimes got confused (surely I can
      >blame that on N1MM?!) and did something like enter the call, then
      >get distracted, tap something out on the paddles, *then* go back to
      >the ENTER key. Instead of sending what I anticipated (like the class
      >and section), I noticed the F8 function key (AGN?) was highlighted
      >and that's what would be sent.
      >
      > From that point, to complete the QSO, I ended up finishing the QSO
      > manually with the paddles, then press ENTER to log it, immediately
      > followed by the ESC key to stop whatever else tried to come out.
      >
      >Bottom line - once one gets "out of sync" with ESM, what's the most
      >effective, efficient way to get back in sync?
      >
      >Kudos to N4KM, who would most likely have worked the entire 24 hours
      >had we let him. We did discover something he cannot do - operate and
      >eat spaghetti at the same time! We were indeed fortunate to have a
      >world-class operator on the CW station and a world-class program to work it.
      >
      >Art - N4PJ

    • Art Burke
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
        Thanks Pete (tnx also to N6ML, who had some good tips).

        In the panic of the moment, I didn't think about just going back to the "standard" function keys to complete the contact.

        Once I do that and the entry window is empty, I assume everything involving ESM reverts to "normal?"

        Art - N4PJ

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
          Yes, but even before that, in Run mode, once the program recognizes a
          correct exchange in the exchange section of the entry window, the
          highlight will switch to F3, telling you it is ready to send the TU
          message and log the QSO. You'll discover a different situation in
          S&P ESM - after you copy the other guy's exchange, the program logs
          the QSO and then sends him your exchange = if he asks for a repeat
          you can always hit the "=" key, or hit F2.

          73, Pete N4ZR

          >Thanks Pete (tnx also to N6ML, who had some good tips).
          >
          >In the panic of the moment, I didn't think about just going back to
          >the "standard" function keys to complete the contact.
          >
          >Once I do that and the entry window is empty, I assume everything
          >involving ESM reverts to "normal?"
          >
          >Art - N4PJ
          >
          >--- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Art - a couple of things. You should try to get used to noticing
          > > the highlighted button and use that as your cue. If you get out of
          > > sync, you can always go to the function keys themselves. If you
          > > don't want to send "AGN?" to ask the other guy to repeat his
          > > exchange, all you have to remember is F2 for your exchange, and F3 to
          > > send the TU message and log the QSO. If you find yourself needing to
          > > log what you got without sending CW, Alt+Enter does the trick and
          > > eliminates the scramble for the ESC key when the CW starts.
          > >
          > > 73, Pete N4ZR
          > >
          > > At 02:19 PM 6/30/2009, Art Burke wrote:
          > > >During Field Day I "spelled" the main CW op several times. He is
          > > >even more familiar with N1MM than I and he immediately went to ESM
          > > >when he started operating.
          > > >
          > > >During my relief periods, I sometimes got confused (surely I can
          > > >blame that on N1MM?!) and did something like enter the call, then
          > > >get distracted, tap something out on the paddles, *then* go back to
          > > >the ENTER key. Instead of sending what I anticipated (like the class
          > > >and section), I noticed the F8 function key (AGN?) was highlighted
          > > >and that's what would be sent.
          > > >
          > > > From that point, to complete the QSO, I ended up finishing the QSO
          > > > manually with the paddles, then press ENTER to log it, immediately
          > > > followed by the ESC key to stop whatever else tried to come out.
          > > >
          > > >Bottom line - once one gets "out of sync" with ESM, what's the most
          > > >effective, efficient way to get back in sync?
          > > >
          > > >Kudos to N4KM, who would most likely have worked the entire 24 hours
          > > >had we let him. We did discover something he cannot do - operate and
          > > >eat spaghetti at the same time! We were indeed fortunate to have a
          > > >world-class operator on the CW station and a world-class program
          > to work it.
          > > >
          > > >Art - N4PJ

        • Art Burke
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
            Sounds like I need to break out the dummy load and practice some sequences! Many thanks.

            A couple of times it was like flying a 747 with the autopilot on. All was well until I accidentally shut off the autopilot!

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
              Hi Art - yeah, practice makes perfekt (sic). I'm so rusty right now
              that I really had to think about those sequences - time for some
              simulator time myself, before WAE.

              73, Pete

            • Art's iPhone W2NRA
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
                Hi Art 2,

                It's not that tough. In a CW contest you either enter data and hit
                enter or just hit enter. If you leave N1MM Logger in big gun mode the
                only exceptions are repeats. For example in S&P if you don't get
                through on the first call you just hit F4 until you do. In Run if you
                call a station and they don't respond, you just hit F5 then F2. About
                the only other exception is to repeat your report which you can do by
                hitting F2 or use specific report repeat keys. RTTY contests are even
                easier because you don't have to enter the callsign, just hit insert
                or use the {GRAB} command.

                BTW A good way to practice ESM for CW is use VE3NEA's Morse Runner
                program. http://www.dxatlas.com/MorseRunner/

                73, Art 3

                73 Art W2NRA
                "Keep to the Code!"
                w2nra.com

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
                  "...in S&P if you don't get through on the first call you just hit F4 until
                  you do..."
                  - Put your call in F8 instead of "agn", then (as long as the received
                  exchange field is empty) you can continue to hit Enter until you get
                  through.

                  "...In Run if you call a station and they don't respond, you just hit F5
                  then F2..."
                  - or, just hit the "+/=" key, which always repeats the last message sent

                  Remember, if you sometimes get confused when using ESM, hitting individual
                  message keys to send what you want ALWAYS works. So does Alt-Enter to log
                  the QSO without sending anything. And, logging the QSO resets ESM for the
                  next one.

                  It's not that tough. In a CW contest you either enter data and hit
                  enter or just hit enter. If you leave N1MM Logger in big gun mode the
                  only exceptions are repeats. For example in S&P if you don't get
                  through on the first call you just hit F4 until you do. In Run if you
                  call a station and they don't respond, you just hit F5 then F2. About
                  the only other exception is to repeat your report which you can do by
                  hitting F2 or use specific report repeat keys. RTTY contests are even
                  easier because you don't have to enter the callsign, just hit insert
                  or use the {GRAB} command.

                  BTW A good way to practice ESM for CW is use VE3NEA's Morse Runner
                  program. http://www.dxatlas.com/MorseRunner/

                  73, Art 3

                  73 Art W2NRA
                  "Keep to the Code!"
                  w2nra.com

                  On Jul 2, 2009, at 6:12 AM, Art Burke <aburkefl@...> wrote:

                  > Sounds like I need to break out the dummy load and practice some
                  > sequences! Many thanks.
                  >
                  > A couple of times it was like flying a 747 with the autopilot on.
                  > All was well until I accidentally shut off the autopilot!
                  >
                  > Art - N4PJ
                  >
                  > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Yes, but even before that, in Run mode, once the program recognizes a
                  >> correct exchange in the exchange section of the entry window, the
                  >> highlight will switch to F3, telling you it is ready to send the TU
                  >> message and log the QSO. You'll discover a different situation in
                  >> S&P ESM - after you copy the other guy's exchange, the program logs
                  >> the QSO and then sends him your exchange = if he asks for a repeat
                  >> you can always hit the "=" key, or hit F2.
                  >>
                  >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                  >>

                  >>> Thanks Pete (tnx also to N6ML, who had some good tips).
                  >>>
                  >>> In the panic of the moment, I didn't think about just going back to
                  >>> the "standard" function keys to complete the contact.
                  >>>
                  >>> Once I do that and the entry window is empty, I assume everything
                  >>> involving ESM reverts to "normal?"
                  >>>
                  >>> Art - N4PJ

                  >>> to work it.

                • Art Burke
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
                    Tnx Ted (and to Pete, Iain and Art1) for the comments on ESM. I do use Morse Runner a lot for practice to increase my CW speed. Never dawned on me that it was so much like ESM.

                    We had a brand new guy come in early Sunday morning (Field Day) and I tried to tutor him for 20 minutes or so. He had never seen N1MM before and I had no idea what his learning and/or operating skills were like. In retrospect, I wondered if I should have left ESM on for him, but the "..F5 then F2.." confused him initially anyway. I stuck with F1 for CQ, F5 then F2 for the exchange and F3 to say thanks and log the QSO.

                    I made a little "cheat sheet" and stuck between the keyboard and monitor so he could easily see it. He managed to use that to get through a couple of hours without too much difficulty.

                    After his shift I asked him if he felt I "threw him under the bus." He felt that I didn't and was really enthused about N1MM.

                    Of course Field Day using N1MM is about as simple as it gets - contesting-wise.

                    Art - N4PJ