Cut Numbers

  • Bruce
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 1 5:33 AM
      Accept for shortening 599 to 5nn, and eliminating the leading zeros, I believe using "cut" numbers is a waste of time. To many requests for repeats, and slower operator reaction as they are translated on the fly between the ears.

      rgds / Bruce VE1NB
    • Art
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 1 2:44 PM
        I have to totally agree with Bruce. In WPX I was getting some really difficult cut numbers like 7AN, A3TN, ANT, etc. I guess operators will do whatever they want to do but I think it is really counter productive for the majority of ops copying the exchange. I think the only cut exchange should be the leading zero like T-X-X.

        Just an opinion.

        Art - VE3UTT/W1AJT

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <abcincowbay@...> wrote:

        > Accept for shortening 599 to 5nn, and eliminating the leading zeros, I believe using "cut" numbers is a waste of time. To many requests for repeats, and slower operator reaction as they are translated on the fly between the ears.
        >
        > rgds / Bruce VE1NB

      • Tom Haavisto
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 2 3:37 AM
          I certainly agree with Bruce and Art on this one as well. The one thing I
          have never understood is why some folks place such an emphasis on using cut
          numbers, when perhaps they should focus their efforts on a shorter call
          instead. That way, they can "save time" in every contest, not just ones
          where they feel the need to use cut numbers.

          Tom - VE3CX

          On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Art <W1AJT@...> wrote:

          > I have to totally agree with Bruce. In WPX I was getting some really
          > difficult cut numbers like 7AN, A3TN, ANT, etc. I guess operators will do
          > whatever they want to do but I think it is really counter productive for the
          > majority of ops copying the exchange. I think the only cut exchange should
          > be the leading zero like T-X-X.
          >
          > Just an opinion.
          >
          > Art - VE3UTT/W1AJT
          >

          > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com <N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>, "Bruce"
          > <abcincowbay@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Accept for shortening 599 to 5nn, and eliminating the leading zeros, I
          > believe using "cut" numbers is a waste of time. To many requests for
          > repeats, and slower operator reaction as they are translated on the fly
          > between the ears.
          > >
          > > rgds / Bruce VE1NB
          > >

          > __.

        • Tommy
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 2 4:02 AM
            Hopefully the use of cut numbers will have a self-healing process. N = 9 and
            T = 0 are the only two cut numbers that is not confusing when you're running
            at a 150 Q rate! Once these guys realize the time they are wasting with
            continued repeats, especially if they have poor signals strengths, they will
            realize they are actually wasting their (and others) time. Solid basics
            seems to get the job done!

            Tom - W4BQF

            I certainly agree with Bruce and Art on this one as well. The one thing I
            have never understood is why some folks place such an emphasis on using cut
            numbers, when perhaps they should focus their efforts on a shorter call
            instead. That way, they can "save time" in every contest, not just ones
            where they feel the need to use cut numbers.

            Tom - VE3CX

            On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Art <W1AJT@...> wrote:

            > I have to totally agree with Bruce. In WPX I was getting some really
            > difficult cut numbers like 7AN, A3TN, ANT, etc. I guess operators will do
            > whatever they want to do but I think it is really counter productive for
            the
            > majority of ops copying the exchange. I think the only cut exchange should
            > be the leading zero like T-X-X.
            >
            > Just an opinion.
            >
            > Art - VE3UTT/W1AJT
            >

            > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com <N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>, "Bruce"
            > <abcincowbay@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Accept for shortening 599 to 5nn, and eliminating the leading zeros, I
            > believe using "cut" numbers is a waste of time. To many requests for
            > repeats, and slower operator reaction as they are translated on the fly
            > between the ears.
            > >
            > > rgds / Bruce VE1NB
            > >

            > __.

          • Tom Osborne
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 2 5:25 PM
              Hi Tom

              Yeah, I think that's kinda funny too. Someone uses XY2008IARU for a call,
              then uses cut numbers :-) 73
              Tom W7WHY

              >I certainly agree with Bruce and Art on this one as well. The one thing I
              > have never understood is why some folks place such an emphasis on using
              > cut
              > numbers, when perhaps they should focus their efforts on a shorter call
              > instead. That way, they can "save time" in every contest, not just ones
              > where they feel the need to use cut numbers.
              >
              > Tom - VE3CX
            • Tom Berry
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 15, 2010
                I am trying to setup N1MM for this weekend and I can't seem to get Cut
                Numbers to work for the LZ test.

                I have "Send Cut Numbers" checked and I have "Cut Number Style
                T1234567890(Leading T)" selected..

                My exchange is still 001 000 not TT1 TTT.

                Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

                Sorry if this had been asked before but I can't find any referance to the
                answer.

                Thanks
                Tom AA4VV
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 15, 2010
                  Are you using the # macro in your function key definition?

                  73, Pete N4ZR
                  Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
                  The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                  On 1/15/2010 4:28 PM, Tom Berry wrote:
                  > I am trying to setup N1MM for this weekend and I can't seem to get Cut
                  > Numbers to work for the LZ test.
                  >
                  > I have "Send Cut Numbers" checked and I have "Cut Number Style
                  > T1234567890(Leading T)" selected..
                  >
                  > My exchange is still 001 000 not TT1 TTT.
                  >
                  > Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.
                  >
                  > Sorry if this had been asked before but I can't find any referance to the
                  > answer.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Tom AA4VV

                • Tom Berry
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 15, 2010
                    Well no I wasn't but I am now. Unfortunally it still doesn't work.
                    Another thoughts?

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 15, 2010
                      What version of n1mm?

                      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                      On 1/15/2010 5:03 PM, Tom Berry wrote:
                      > Well no I wasn't but I am now. Unfortunally it still doesn't work.
                      > Another thoughts?
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > Tom AA4VV

                    • Tom Berry
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 15, 2010
                        > What version of n1mm?
                        >
                        > 73, Pete N4ZR

                        Version 9.12.9
                      • gboutin
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 15, 2010
                          Tom,

                          Sorry, but apparently this one is (partially) my fault. No cut number support in the LZ Open contest.

                          Release Notes: Version 8.10.1 (Started October 8, 2008)
                          Enhancement: For the LZ Open contest selection. Always send leading zeros since it is required. Print the sent exchange on the status line in numeric format even if cut numbers is enabled. (VE1DT) (coded by K3CT)

                          --
                          Gerald Boutin, VE1DT

                          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Berry" <tberry1@...> wrote:

                          > I am trying to setup N1MM for this weekend and I can't seem to get Cut
                          > Numbers to work for the LZ test.
                          >
                          > I have "Send Cut Numbers" checked and I have "Cut Number Style
                          > T1234567890(Leading T)" selected..
                          >
                          > My exchange is still 001 000 not TT1 TTT.
                          >
                          > Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.
                          >
                          > Sorry if this had been asked before but I can't find any referance to the
                          > answer.
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          > Tom AA4VV

                        • Tom Berry
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 15, 2010
                            Gerald

                            No Problem, Just wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong.

                            Thanks for the response.

                            73 Tom AA4VV

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 15, 2010
                              I've been testing, and it appears to be a bug in the LZOpen contest
                              definition. No time to fix now, but fortunately, the second "T" option
                              appears to work, so you can use that instead.

                              The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                              On 1/15/2010 5:03 PM, Tom Berry wrote:
                              > Well no I wasn't but I am now. Unfortunally it still doesn't work.
                              > Another thoughts?
                              >
                              > Thanks
                              > Tom AA4VV

                            • John, K3CT
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 15, 2010
                                Notes that I have in the LZ Open code indicate that the exchange can be
                                three numbers and two or three letters. This is not a six digit number
                                field. It was at one time but it needed to be changed.

                                This is not a bug.

                                > No Problem, Just wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong.
                                >
                                > Thanks for the response.
                                >
                                > 73 Tom AA4VV
                                >

                                >> Tom,
                                >>
                                >> Sorry, but apparently this one is (partially) my fault. No cut number
                                > support in the LZ Open contest.
                                >>
                                >> Release Notes: Version 8.10.1 (Started October 8, 2008)
                                >> Enhancement: For the LZ Open contest selection. Always send leading zeros
                                > since it is required. Print the sent exchange on the status line in
                                > numeric
                                > format even if cut numbers is enabled. (VE1DT) (coded by K3CT)
                                >>
                                >> --
                                >> Gerald Boutin, VE1DT
                                >>
                                >> --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Berry" <tberry1@...> wrote:
                                >> >
                                >> > I am trying to setup N1MM for this weekend and I can't seem to get Cut
                                >> > Numbers to work for the LZ test.
                                >> >
                                >> > I have "Send Cut Numbers" checked and I have "Cut Number Style
                                >> > T1234567890(Leading T)" selected..
                                >> >
                                >> > My exchange is still 001 000 not TT1 TTT.
                                >> >
                                >> > Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.
                                >> >
                                >> > Sorry if this had been asked before but I can't find any referance to
                                > the
                                >> > answer.
                                >> >
                                >> > Thanks
                                >> > Tom AA4VV

                              • Boyan
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 15, 2010
                                  Hi,

                                  cut numbers were OK here, used T123456789T.

                                  73! Boyan LZ2BE/LZ8E

                                  > No Problem, Just wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong.

                                  > Thanks for the response.

                                  > 73 Tom AA4VV

                                  >> Tom,

                                  >> Sorry, but apparently this one is (partially) my fault. No cut number

                                  > support in the LZ Open contest.

                                  >> Release Notes: Version 8.10.1 (Started October 8, 2008)

                                  >> ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= =======

                                  >> Enhancement: For the LZ Open contest selection. Always send leading zeros

                                  > since it is required. Print the sent exchange on the status line in

                                  > numeric

                                  > format even if cut numbers is enabled. (VE1DT) (coded by K3CT)

                                  >> --

                                  >> Gerald Boutin, VE1DT

                                  >> --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogro ups.com, "Tom Berry" <tberry1@... > wrote:

                                  >> > I am trying to setup N1MM for this weekend and I can't seem to get Cut

                                  >> > Numbers to work for the LZ test.

                                  >> > I have "Send Cut Numbers" checked and I have "Cut Number Style

                                  >> > T1234567890( Leading T)" selected..

                                  >> > My exchange is still 001 000 not TT1 TTT.

                                  >> > Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

                                  >> > Sorry if this had been asked before but I can't find any referance to

                                  > the

                                  >> > answer.

                                  >> > Thanks

                                  >> > Tom AA4VV

                                  >> N1MMLogger-unsubscr ibe@yahoogroups. com

                                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  > N1MMLogger-unsubscr ibe@yahoogroups. com

                                • Jan Pieter - PA3CLQ
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 16, 2010
                                    Help wanted pse.
                                    For the first time participant in LZOPEN.
                                    Using N1MMLogger V9-12-8 and have {EXCH}{LASTEXCH} in F2 without space between }{
                                    As i logged the Q i get an error Log(grd_Log_RowColChance) -52 Bad filename or numbers with the question 'would you like to send an error report'.
                                    What do i wrong.
                                    73, Jan PA3CLQ

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 16, 2010
                                      It works here OK. Suggest you try renaming your existing database and
                                      then create another, to see if the problem is database corruption.

                                      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                                      On 1/16/2010 5:55 AM, Jan Pieter - PA3CLQ wrote:
                                      > Help wanted pse.
                                      > For the first time participant in LZOPEN.
                                      > Using N1MMLogger V9-12-8 and have {EXCH}{LASTEXCH} in F2 without space between }{
                                      > As i logged the Q i get an error Log(grd_Log_RowColChance) -52 Bad filename or numbers with the question 'would you like to send an error report'.
                                      > What do i wrong.
                                      > 73, Jan PA3CLQ

                                    • Jan Pieter - PA3CLQ
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 16, 2010
                                        Thanks Pete

                                        73 Jan

                                        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                                        On 1/16/2010 5:55 AM, Jan Pieter - PA3CLQ wrote:
                                        > Help wanted pse.
                                        > For the first time participant in LZOPEN.
                                        > Using N1MMLogger V9-12-8 and have {EXCH}{LASTEXCH} in F2 without space between }{
                                        > As i logged the Q i get an error Log(grd_Log_RowColChance) -52 Bad filename or numbers with the question 'would you like to send an error report'.
                                        > What do i wrong.
                                        > 73, Jan PA3CLQ

                                      • Boyan
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 16, 2010
                                          Hi Jan,

                                          the space between both words is just to help receiving stn. It is easier to copy 2 X 3 digits instead of 6 in row.
                                          For the rest pls follow Pete's instructions.

                                          73! Boyan

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 16, 2010
                                            Boyan,

                                            Thank you, for several reasons i use only my keys (Straight Key, SideSwiper / Cootie or BUG) and not N1MMLogger to send the exchange a.s.o.

                                            73, Jan PA3CLQ

                                            the space between both words is just to help receiving stn. It is easier to copy 2 X 3 digits instead of 6 in row.
                                            For the rest pls follow Pete's instructions.

                                            73! Boyan

                                            It works here OK. Suggest you try renaming your existing database and

                                            then create another, to see if the problem is database corruption.

                                            73, Pete N4ZR

                                            Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki. contesting. com

                                            The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations .com

                                            The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeaco n.net

                                            On 1/16/2010 5:55 AM, Jan Pieter - PA3CLQ wrote:

                                            > Help wanted pse.

                                            > For the first time participant in LZOPEN.

                                            > Using N1MMLogger V9-12-8 and have {EXCH}{LASTEXCH} in F2 without space between }{

                                            > As i logged the Q i get an error Log(grd_Log_ RowColChance) -52 Bad filename or numbers with the question 'would you like to send an error report'.

                                            > What do i wrong.

                                            > 73, Jan PA3CLQ

                                            > N1MMLogger-unsubscr ibe@yahoogroups. com

                                          • la9bm_leif
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 21, 2011
                                              My cut number is not working any longer!?? At the Function Keys tab, the "Send Cut Numbers" is enabel and I choos the T1234567890 Cut Number Style. In the Log in Database, the Sent Exchange is sett to 001. No matter if I type # instead. The F2 Function Key is programmed to ! 5NN {EXCH} but the report I am sending is <His Call> 599 1 and not serie number TT1 (for 001). Have been looking in the manual and Help menu but can not find any useful help to my problem. Can you help me plese?
                                              73s from LA9BM - Leif
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Mar 21, 2011
                                                Leif,

                                                On the Function Keys tab, check "Send leading zeros in serial numbers".

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 21, 2011
                                                  You have to enable LEADING ZEROS, I think it is in the same menu somewhere.

                                                  At 3/21/2011 07:25 AM, you wrote:
                                                  >My cut number is not working any longer!?? At the Function Keys tab,
                                                  >the "Send Cut Numbers" is enabel and I choos the T1234567890 Cut
                                                  >Number Style. In the Log in Database, the Sent Exchange is sett to
                                                  >001. No matter if I type # instead. The F2 Function Key is
                                                  >programmed to ! 5NN {EXCH} but the report I am sending is <His Call>
                                                  >599 1 and not serie number TT1 (for 001). Have been looking in the
                                                  >manual and Help menu but can not find any useful help to my
                                                  >problem. Can you help me plese?
                                                  >73s from LA9BM - Leif

                                                • la9bm_leif
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 21, 2011
                                                    Thank you Ted and Ed for useful help. So easy but still it cost me a lot of time. Yes, I had to enable the "Send leading zeros in serial numbers" as well as the "Send cut number" option.