Re: [N1MM] Delay with F1 in CQ QPX CW

  • N1MM
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
      Yes, 60 min is way too long for WPX. 15-20 minutes would be more
      appropriate.

      To reduce processing, you need to reduce the number of spots in the
      database/bandmaps. To do that, you need to click on "remove all spots",
      or reduce the packet timeout value. Just stopping the cluster will
      merely stop new ones from coming in. That will help some, as a high
      volume of spots coming in, coupled with a large number of spots in the
      database/bandmaps will use the most processing power.

      If you reboot, the database will contain all the spots that were there
      when you shut down. When you come back up, old spots will be deleted,
      but unless you shut down for a time longer than your packet spot
      timeout, some will remain.

      73,
      Tom

      Rob - G4LMW wrote:
      > Thanks for the responses.
      >
      > I will attempt to answer all the queries in one go..........
      >
      > I was operating SO2V with TenTec Orion.
      >
      > I had my virus checker running (The Shield Deluxe). However, I have the N1MM
      > Logger and CW IF executables set within the "Trusted Zone" to allow all
      > processing etc. I had no other programs running (I turned of "Microshaft
      > updates").
      >
      > To clarify another question, when I refer to N1MM using processor time I was
      > already referring to the "Processes" tab in Task Manager.
      >
      > If volume of spots is an issue then this may well be the cause. I have the
      > timeout set at 60 mins which I guess in this type of contest is going to be
      > an issue. But, when I closed the cluster and reloaded the contest, the
      > delay persisted. Would it require a full re-boot to clear the delay?
      >
      > I really think that volume of spots is the issue. The bandmap was pretty
      > full at times. I guess it'll be hard to replicate until the next big contest
      > now!
      >
      > 73, Rob
      > G4LMW
      > http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

    • Art Searle W2NRA
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
        Hi Rob,

        I'd say the most likely candidate is a large numbers of cluster spots in
        this major contest, assuming you used the cluster. Give it a try now and
        see if you get the delay. If that is not your problem then try your old ini
        file now. If you don't have the problem with it I'd check the 2 files, side
        by side, and look for a setting difference.

        73 Art W2NRA
        "Keep to the Code!"
        w2nra.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
          Tom

          Thanks for the advice. I am sure the spots are the issue. All understood and
          will use the system more sensibly in future!

          Thanks for a great program.

          73, Rob
          G4LMW
          http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
            I am skeptical of this explanation, at least without some
            nuances. During several S&P sessions during WPX, I had CW Skimmer
            running, feeding me hundreds of spots on 20 and 15 meters. The
            volume of spots from Skimmer is several times that from the DX
            cluster network, yet I saw no delays. I was running a spot timeout
            of 15 minutes, which may have helped, of course.

            I do have one advantage - I am using a Winkey to generate CW - is
            this perhaps a problem that is specific to parallel or serial port CW
            generated by MM itself, rather than handed off to an outboard processor?

            73, Pete N4ZR
            New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
            The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

            At 07:10 AM 6/1/2009, Rob - G4LMW wrote:
            >Thanks for the responses.
            >
            >I will attempt to answer all the queries in one go..........
            >
            >I was operating SO2V with TenTec Orion.
            >
            >I had my virus checker running (The Shield Deluxe). However, I have the N1MM
            >Logger and CW IF executables set within the "Trusted Zone" to allow all
            >processing etc. I had no other programs running (I turned of "Microshaft
            >updates").
            >
            >To clarify another question, when I refer to N1MM using processor time I was
            >already referring to the "Processes" tab in Task Manager.
            >
            >If volume of spots is an issue then this may well be the cause. I have the
            >timeout set at 60 mins which I guess in this type of contest is going to be
            >an issue. But, when I closed the cluster and reloaded the contest, the
            >delay persisted. Would it require a full re-boot to clear the delay?
            >
            >I really think that volume of spots is the issue. The bandmap was pretty
            >full at times. I guess it'll be hard to replicate until the next big contest
            >now!
            >
            >73, Rob
            >G4LMW
            >http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

          • Steve London
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
              How are you generating CW ? Winkey, serial or parallel port ? If Winkey, is it
              controlled with USB or a serial port ?

              When the delay was happening, was it every time you pressed F1, or just randomly ?

              I'm not yet convinced it was caused by the number of spots on the bandmap. With
              a 2.66 GHz box, that really shouldn't be an issue.

              73,
              Steve, N2IC

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                Sorry

                That is an important point that I neglected to mention. I am keying via a
                homebrew parallel port cable.

                But again, the problem only manifested during WPX.

                73, Rob
                G4LMW
                http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

                > How are you generating CW ? Winkey, serial or parallel port ? If Winkey,
                > is it
                > controlled with USB or a serial port ?
                >
                > When the delay was happening, was it every time you pressed F1, or just
                > randomly ?
                >
                > I'm not yet convinced it was caused by the number of spots on the bandmap.
                > With
                > a 2.66 GHz box, that really shouldn't be an issue.
                >
                > 73,
                > Steve, N2IC
                >
                > Rob - G4LMW wrote:
                >> Thanks for the responses.
                >>
                >> I will attempt to answer all the queries in one go..........
                >>
                >> I was operating SO2V with TenTec Orion.
                >>
                >> I had my virus checker running (The Shield Deluxe). However, I have the
                >> N1MM
                >> Logger and CW IF executables set within the "Trusted Zone" to allow all
                >> processing etc. I had no other programs running (I turned of "Microshaft
                >> updates").
                >>
                >> To clarify another question, when I refer to N1MM using processor time I
                >> was
                >> already referring to the "Processes" tab in Task Manager.
                >>
                >> If volume of spots is an issue then this may well be the cause. I have
                >> the
                >> timeout set at 60 mins which I guess in this type of contest is going to
                >> be
                >> an issue. But, when I closed the cluster and reloaded the contest, the
                >> delay
                >> persisted. Would it require a full re-boot to clear the delay?
                >>
                >> I really think that volume of spots is the issue. The bandmap was pretty
                >> full
                >> at times. I guess it'll be hard to replicate until the next big contest
                >> now!
                >>
                >> 73, Rob G4LMW http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

              • Rex Maner
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                  NO Problem here ,, I did not use TELNET.

                  Rex

                  >I am skeptical of this explanation, at least without some
                  > nuances. During several S&P sessions during WPX, I had CW Skimmer
                  > running, feeding me hundreds of spots on 20 and 15 meters. The
                  > volume of spots from Skimmer is several times that from the DX
                  > cluster network, yet I saw no delays. I was running a spot timeout
                  > of 15 minutes, which may have helped, of course.
                  >
                  > I do have one advantage - I am using a Winkey to generate CW - is
                  > this perhaps a problem that is specific to parallel or serial port CW
                  > generated by MM itself, rather than handed off to an outboard processor?
                  >
                  > 73, Pete N4ZR
                  > New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at
                  > http://wiki.contesting.com
                  > www.conteststations.com
                  > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
                  >

                  > At 07:10 AM 6/1/2009, Rob - G4LMW wrote:
                  >>Thanks for the responses.
                  >>
                  >>I will attempt to answer all the queries in one go..........
                  >>
                  >>I was operating SO2V with TenTec Orion.
                  >>
                  >>I had my virus checker running (The Shield Deluxe). However, I have the
                  >>N1MM
                  >>Logger and CW IF executables set within the "Trusted Zone" to allow all
                  >>processing etc. I had no other programs running (I turned of "Microshaft
                  >>updates").
                  >>
                  >>To clarify another question, when I refer to N1MM using processor time I
                  >>was
                  >>already referring to the "Processes" tab in Task Manager.
                  >>
                  >>If volume of spots is an issue then this may well be the cause. I have the
                  >>timeout set at 60 mins which I guess in this type of contest is going to
                  >>be
                  >>an issue. But, when I closed the cluster and reloaded the contest, the
                  >>delay persisted. Would it require a full re-boot to clear the delay?
                  >>
                  >>I really think that volume of spots is the issue. The bandmap was pretty
                  >>full at times. I guess it'll be hard to replicate until the next big
                  >>contest
                  >>now!
                  >>
                  >>73, Rob
                  >>G4LMW
                  >>http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

                  06:09:00

                  Advance your career with an online Master's Degree. Free info. Click Now!
                  http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/fc/BLSrjpYXUiDJuNV3KzQmALGgkkOvHT893QfV70pOee12vEQWH33U70UbINS/
                • Bud Morin
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                    Not sure if this is relevant. After running for a while I would get a
                    delay. If I disconnected from the cluster, waited a few minutes, and
                    then reconnected, the delay was cured for a while again. Don't know why:
                    old computer, too much data processing when on telnet, whatever.

                    Bud, K9ZT