Re: [N1MM] Delay with F1 in CQ QPX CW

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
      When the problem recurred after response being normal for a while,
      did it come back all at once, or gradually? Did it go from
      essentially zero delay to the long delay with no intermediate
      steps? Did you look at the Processes tab in Task Manager as well as Apps?

      73, Pete N4ZR
      New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

      At 04:26 AM 6/1/2009, Rob - G4LMW wrote:
      >I had the "delay" issue throughout the contest. Yet I have never experienced
      >it in previous/other contests. My .mdb file is compacted, is only 3Mb and
      >contains just the QSOs from this contest.
      >
      >I tried it with all other programs not running, telnet closed, 2nd VFO off
      >(the bare bones) - but still had the delay. It happened whether in ESM or
      >not and was present when hitting Enter (in ESM), F1 or using the mouse to
      >click the F1 button. On looking at the "Task Manager", it would be N1MM.exe
      >using all the processing (CW IF.exe was OK).
      >
      >A complete re-boot would (sometimes) fix the issue, but it came back after a
      >while in any case.
      >
      >Here's the thing.... for WPX, I used my old call (G8XCW) so I set up another
      >database just for this contest. That is the only thing that I can see is
      >different. If it is the "new" database that is causing the issue, could
      >anyone suggest where I look in order to further pin down the problem? There
      >is still only one .INI file and all it does (in this case) is point to the
      >last contest and MDB file. I have saved a copy of the .INI file (since it
      >will change for another contest tonight).
      >
      >Set-up:
      >N1MM 9.4.1, Pentium 4, 2.66GHz, 1Gb RAM, Window XP Pro SP3
      >
      >73, Rob
      >G4LMW
      >http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

    • Rob - G4LMW
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
        Thanks for the responses.

        I will attempt to answer all the queries in one go..........

        I was operating SO2V with TenTec Orion.

        I had my virus checker running (The Shield Deluxe). However, I have the N1MM
        Logger and CW IF executables set within the "Trusted Zone" to allow all
        processing etc. I had no other programs running (I turned of "Microshaft
        updates").

        To clarify another question, when I refer to N1MM using processor time I was
        already referring to the "Processes" tab in Task Manager.

        If volume of spots is an issue then this may well be the cause. I have the
        timeout set at 60 mins which I guess in this type of contest is going to be
        an issue. But, when I closed the cluster and reloaded the contest, the
        delay persisted. Would it require a full re-boot to clear the delay?

        I really think that volume of spots is the issue. The bandmap was pretty
        full at times. I guess it'll be hard to replicate until the next big contest
        now!

        73, Rob
        G4LMW
        http://www.G4LMW.co.uk
      • N1MM
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
          Yes, 60 min is way too long for WPX. 15-20 minutes would be more
          appropriate.

          To reduce processing, you need to reduce the number of spots in the
          database/bandmaps. To do that, you need to click on "remove all spots",
          or reduce the packet timeout value. Just stopping the cluster will
          merely stop new ones from coming in. That will help some, as a high
          volume of spots coming in, coupled with a large number of spots in the
          database/bandmaps will use the most processing power.

          If you reboot, the database will contain all the spots that were there
          when you shut down. When you come back up, old spots will be deleted,
          but unless you shut down for a time longer than your packet spot
          timeout, some will remain.

          73,
          Tom

          Rob - G4LMW wrote:
          > Thanks for the responses.
          >
          > I will attempt to answer all the queries in one go..........
          >
          > I was operating SO2V with TenTec Orion.
          >
          > I had my virus checker running (The Shield Deluxe). However, I have the N1MM
          > Logger and CW IF executables set within the "Trusted Zone" to allow all
          > processing etc. I had no other programs running (I turned of "Microshaft
          > updates").
          >
          > To clarify another question, when I refer to N1MM using processor time I was
          > already referring to the "Processes" tab in Task Manager.
          >
          > If volume of spots is an issue then this may well be the cause. I have the
          > timeout set at 60 mins which I guess in this type of contest is going to be
          > an issue. But, when I closed the cluster and reloaded the contest, the
          > delay persisted. Would it require a full re-boot to clear the delay?
          >
          > I really think that volume of spots is the issue. The bandmap was pretty
          > full at times. I guess it'll be hard to replicate until the next big contest
          > now!
          >
          > 73, Rob
          > G4LMW
          > http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

        • Art Searle W2NRA
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
            Hi Rob,

            I'd say the most likely candidate is a large numbers of cluster spots in
            this major contest, assuming you used the cluster. Give it a try now and
            see if you get the delay. If that is not your problem then try your old ini
            file now. If you don't have the problem with it I'd check the 2 files, side
            by side, and look for a setting difference.

            73 Art W2NRA
            "Keep to the Code!"
            w2nra.com
            >I had the "delay" issue throughout the contest. Yet I have never
            >experienced
            > it in previous/other contests. My .mdb file is compacted, is only 3Mb and
            > contains just the QSOs from this contest.
            >
            > I tried it with all other programs not running, telnet closed, 2nd VFO off
            > (the bare bones) - but still had the delay. It happened whether in ESM or
            > not and was present when hitting Enter (in ESM), F1 or using the mouse to
            > click the F1 button. On looking at the "Task Manager", it would be
            > N1MM.exe
            > using all the processing (CW IF.exe was OK).
            >
            > A complete re-boot would (sometimes) fix the issue, but it came back after
            > while in any case.
            >
            > Here's the thing.... for WPX, I used my old call (G8XCW) so I set up
            > another
            > database just for this contest. That is the only thing that I can see is
            > different. If it is the "new" database that is causing the issue, could
            > anyone suggest where I look in order to further pin down the problem?
            > There
            > is still only one .INI file and all it does (in this case) is point to the
            > last contest and MDB file. I have saved a copy of the .INI file (since it
            > will change for another contest tonight).
            >
            > Set-up:
            > N1MM 9.4.1, Pentium 4, 2.66GHz, 1Gb RAM, Window XP Pro SP3
            >
            > 73, Rob
            > G4LMW
            > http://www.G4LMW.co.uk
          • Rob - G4LMW
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
              Tom

              Thanks for the advice. I am sure the spots are the issue. All understood and
              will use the system more sensibly in future!

              Thanks for a great program.

              73, Rob
              G4LMW
              http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                I am skeptical of this explanation, at least without some
                nuances. During several S&P sessions during WPX, I had CW Skimmer
                running, feeding me hundreds of spots on 20 and 15 meters. The
                volume of spots from Skimmer is several times that from the DX
                cluster network, yet I saw no delays. I was running a spot timeout
                of 15 minutes, which may have helped, of course.

                I do have one advantage - I am using a Winkey to generate CW - is
                this perhaps a problem that is specific to parallel or serial port CW
                generated by MM itself, rather than handed off to an outboard processor?

                The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                At 07:10 AM 6/1/2009, Rob - G4LMW wrote:
                >Thanks for the responses.
                >
                >I will attempt to answer all the queries in one go..........
                >
                >I was operating SO2V with TenTec Orion.
                >
                >I had my virus checker running (The Shield Deluxe). However, I have the N1MM
                >Logger and CW IF executables set within the "Trusted Zone" to allow all
                >processing etc. I had no other programs running (I turned of "Microshaft
                >updates").
                >
                >To clarify another question, when I refer to N1MM using processor time I was
                >already referring to the "Processes" tab in Task Manager.
                >
                >If volume of spots is an issue then this may well be the cause. I have the
                >timeout set at 60 mins which I guess in this type of contest is going to be
                >an issue. But, when I closed the cluster and reloaded the contest, the
                >delay persisted. Would it require a full re-boot to clear the delay?
                >
                >I really think that volume of spots is the issue. The bandmap was pretty
                >full at times. I guess it'll be hard to replicate until the next big contest
                >now!
                >
                >73, Rob
                >G4LMW
                >http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

              • Steve London
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                  How are you generating CW ? Winkey, serial or parallel port ? If Winkey, is it
                  controlled with USB or a serial port ?

                  When the delay was happening, was it every time you pressed F1, or just randomly ?

                  I'm not yet convinced it was caused by the number of spots on the bandmap. With
                  a 2.66 GHz box, that really shouldn't be an issue.

                  73,
                  Steve, N2IC

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                    Sorry

                    That is an important point that I neglected to mention. I am keying via a
                    homebrew parallel port cable.

                    But again, the problem only manifested during WPX.

                    73, Rob
                    G4LMW
                    http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

                    > How are you generating CW ? Winkey, serial or parallel port ? If Winkey,
                    > is it
                    > controlled with USB or a serial port ?
                    >
                    > When the delay was happening, was it every time you pressed F1, or just
                    > randomly ?
                    >
                    > I'm not yet convinced it was caused by the number of spots on the bandmap.
                    > With
                    > a 2.66 GHz box, that really shouldn't be an issue.
                    >
                    > 73,
                    > Steve, N2IC
                    >
                    > Rob - G4LMW wrote:
                    >> Thanks for the responses.
                    >>
                    >> I will attempt to answer all the queries in one go..........
                    >>
                    >> I was operating SO2V with TenTec Orion.
                    >>
                    >> I had my virus checker running (The Shield Deluxe). However, I have the
                    >> N1MM
                    >> Logger and CW IF executables set within the "Trusted Zone" to allow all
                    >> processing etc. I had no other programs running (I turned of "Microshaft
                    >> updates").
                    >>
                    >> To clarify another question, when I refer to N1MM using processor time I
                    >> was
                    >> already referring to the "Processes" tab in Task Manager.
                    >>
                    >> If volume of spots is an issue then this may well be the cause. I have
                    >> the
                    >> timeout set at 60 mins which I guess in this type of contest is going to
                    >> be
                    >> an issue. But, when I closed the cluster and reloaded the contest, the
                    >> delay
                    >> persisted. Would it require a full re-boot to clear the delay?
                    >>
                    >> I really think that volume of spots is the issue. The bandmap was pretty
                    >> full
                    >> at times. I guess it'll be hard to replicate until the next big contest
                    >> now!
                    >>
                    >> 73, Rob G4LMW http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

                  • Rex Maner
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                      NO Problem here ,, I did not use TELNET.

                      Rex

                      >I am skeptical of this explanation, at least without some
                      > nuances. During several S&P sessions during WPX, I had CW Skimmer
                      > running, feeding me hundreds of spots on 20 and 15 meters. The
                      > volume of spots from Skimmer is several times that from the DX
                      > cluster network, yet I saw no delays. I was running a spot timeout
                      > of 15 minutes, which may have helped, of course.
                      >
                      > I do have one advantage - I am using a Winkey to generate CW - is
                      > this perhaps a problem that is specific to parallel or serial port CW
                      > generated by MM itself, rather than handed off to an outboard processor?
                      >
                      > 73, Pete N4ZR
                      > New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at
                      > http://wiki.contesting.com
                      > www.conteststations.com
                      > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
                      >

                      > At 07:10 AM 6/1/2009, Rob - G4LMW wrote:
                      >>Thanks for the responses.
                      >>
                      >>I will attempt to answer all the queries in one go..........
                      >>
                      >>I was operating SO2V with TenTec Orion.
                      >>
                      >>I had my virus checker running (The Shield Deluxe). However, I have the
                      >>N1MM
                      >>Logger and CW IF executables set within the "Trusted Zone" to allow all
                      >>processing etc. I had no other programs running (I turned of "Microshaft
                      >>updates").
                      >>
                      >>To clarify another question, when I refer to N1MM using processor time I
                      >>was
                      >>already referring to the "Processes" tab in Task Manager.
                      >>
                      >>If volume of spots is an issue then this may well be the cause. I have the
                      >>timeout set at 60 mins which I guess in this type of contest is going to
                      >>be
                      >>an issue. But, when I closed the cluster and reloaded the contest, the
                      >>delay persisted. Would it require a full re-boot to clear the delay?
                      >>
                      >>I really think that volume of spots is the issue. The bandmap was pretty
                      >>full at times. I guess it'll be hard to replicate until the next big
                      >>contest
                      >>now!
                      >>
                      >>73, Rob
                      >>G4LMW
                      >>http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

                      06:09:00

                      Advance your career with an online Master's Degree. Free info. Click Now!
                      http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/fc/BLSrjpYXUiDJuNV3KzQmALGgkkOvHT893QfV70pOee12vEQWH33U70UbINS/
                    • Bud Morin
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                        Not sure if this is relevant. After running for a while I would get a
                        delay. If I disconnected from the cluster, waited a few minutes, and
                        then reconnected, the delay was cured for a while again. Don't know why:
                        old computer, too much data processing when on telnet, whatever.

                        Bud, K9ZT