Delay with F1 in CQ QPX CW

  • KZ5D@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , May 31 5:57 AM
      Hi,

      Just playing around in the WPX. Today when I got back in, I noticed a
      distinct delay when hitting F1 or CTRL Enter to send a CQ. It was close to a
      full second.

      No delay noticed with the end of QSO key (Enter after receiving a report).
      No delay with F7 (Question mark).

      I'm using the same computer as I have been for a couple years, running XP
      and 9.5.1.

      Anyone else notice this?

      73,

      Art KZ5D

      Steps!
      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221823251x1201398665/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=May
      ExcfooterNO62)

    • Tommy
      Message 2 of 18 , May 31 6:16 AM
        Hi Art,

        This may not solve your problem, but I had the same thing happen recently
        (in the BWQP). I rebooted my PC and that delay went away. I'm using a 2.8gHz
        CPU, 1.5gB memory, XP Pro SP3, v 9.5.0 etc. Try the reboot, it may work for
        you also?

        Tom - W4BQF

        Message 3 of 18 , May 31 6:26 AM
          I have 34,000 QSOs in my database (ham.mdb). After compression, it's
          about 10,000 kB (10 megabytes). If your database is very large compared
          to that, then it's time to File/copy & compact it. You will point to
          the new database that you copied to in order to take advantage of the
          compaction. Once this operation is done, you can rename databases as
          you like. Make a copy of the database before you start, so that if you
          mess something up, you have a place to start again.

          I don't expect that this is the root of your problem, but if you have
          never done copy & compact, it might be. Tommy's suggestion is a better
          one. If that does not clear the problem, look for new processes
          running, like virus detection or firewall software.

          73,
          Tom - N1MM

        • KZ5D@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , May 31 6:30 AM
            Thanks Tom,

            I did turn everything off somewhat aggravated. So after reading your post,
            I turned it back on (rebooted) and it seems to work normally.

            Weird.

            73,

            Art KZ5D

            In a message dated 5/31/2009 8:17:14 A.M. Central Daylight Time,

[...]

            ************************<WBR>**An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Your
            Steps!
            (_http://pr.atwola.http://pr.atwhttp://pr.atwolahttp://pr.atwolahttp://pr.ht
            t_
            (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221823251x1201398665/aol?redir=htt)
            _p://www.freecreditrp://www.frp://www.frep://www.freecr&<WBR>hmpg&<WBR>bc_
            (file:///p://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd
            =May)
            ExcfooterNO62)

            Message 5 of 18 , May 31 7:01 AM
              Hi Art,

              If this problem comes back you might try going into the Task Manager (Task
              Manager/Processes) and upping the priority on CWIF.exe.

              Thanks for the 10M QSO - you were VERY loud here - great e-skip. Hi!

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                I had the "delay" issue throughout the contest. Yet I have never experienced
                it in previous/other contests. My .mdb file is compacted, is only 3Mb and
                contains just the QSOs from this contest.

                I tried it with all other programs not running, telnet closed, 2nd VFO off
                (the bare bones) - but still had the delay. It happened whether in ESM or
                not and was present when hitting Enter (in ESM), F1 or using the mouse to
                click the F1 button. On looking at the "Task Manager", it would be N1MM.exe
                using all the processing (CW IF.exe was OK).

                A complete re-boot would (sometimes) fix the issue, but it came back after a
                while in any case.

                Here's the thing.... for WPX, I used my old call (G8XCW) so I set up another
                database just for this contest. That is the only thing that I can see is
                different. If it is the "new" database that is causing the issue, could
                anyone suggest where I look in order to further pin down the problem? There
                is still only one .INI file and all it does (in this case) is point to the
                last contest and MDB file. I have saved a copy of the .INI file (since it
                will change for another contest tonight).

                Set-up:
                N1MM 9.4.1, Pentium 4, 2.66GHz, 1Gb RAM, Window XP Pro SP3

                73, Rob
                G4LMW
                http://www.G4LMW.co.uk
              • N1MM
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                  Were you connected to packet/telnet/skimmer? Since the cpu time was
                  being used by the main program, I am thinking you were consuming a lot
                  of cpu processing spots. This is also consistent with "sometimes"
                  rebooting would fix the problem. It would if you waited long enough for
                  the spots to expire. How many spots were shown in the available window
                  when the problem occured? Next time, try removing spots and seeing if
                  that fixes it temporarily. What was your packet timeout set to?

                  73,
                  Tom

                  Rob - G4LMW wrote:
                  > I had the "delay" issue throughout the contest. Yet I have never experienced
                  > it in previous/other contests. My .mdb file is compacted, is only 3Mb and
                  > contains just the QSOs from this contest.
                  >
                  > I tried it with all other programs not running, telnet closed, 2nd VFO off
                  > (the bare bones) - but still had the delay. It happened whether in ESM or
                  > not and was present when hitting Enter (in ESM), F1 or using the mouse to
                  > click the F1 button. On looking at the "Task Manager", it would be N1MM.exe
                  > using all the processing (CW IF.exe was OK).
                  >
                  > A complete re-boot would (sometimes) fix the issue, but it came back after a
                  > while in any case.
                  >
                  > Here's the thing.... for WPX, I used my old call (G8XCW) so I set up another
                  > database just for this contest. That is the only thing that I can see is
                  > different. If it is the "new" database that is causing the issue, could
                  > anyone suggest where I look in order to further pin down the problem? There
                  > is still only one .INI file and all it does (in this case) is point to the
                  > last contest and MDB file. I have saved a copy of the .INI file (since it
                  > will change for another contest tonight).
                  >
                  > Set-up:
                  > N1MM 9.4.1, Pentium 4, 2.66GHz, 1Gb RAM, Window XP Pro SP3
                  >
                  > 73, Rob
                  > G4LMW
                  > http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

                • John, K3CT
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                    Rob,

                    What mode (SO1V,SO2V,SO2R) and radio(s)?

                    Any other programs running?

                    Was there any background processes running like a disk scan, mirror backup,
                    virus/spyware scan, auto update?

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                      When the problem recurred after response being normal for a while,
                      did it come back all at once, or gradually? Did it go from
                      essentially zero delay to the long delay with no intermediate
                      steps? Did you look at the Processes tab in Task Manager as well as Apps?

                      73, Pete N4ZR
                      New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
                      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                      At 04:26 AM 6/1/2009, Rob - G4LMW wrote:
                      >I had the "delay" issue throughout the contest. Yet I have never experienced
                      >it in previous/other contests. My .mdb file is compacted, is only 3Mb and
                      >contains just the QSOs from this contest.
                      >
                      >I tried it with all other programs not running, telnet closed, 2nd VFO off
                      >(the bare bones) - but still had the delay. It happened whether in ESM or
                      >not and was present when hitting Enter (in ESM), F1 or using the mouse to
                      >click the F1 button. On looking at the "Task Manager", it would be N1MM.exe
                      >using all the processing (CW IF.exe was OK).
                      >
                      >A complete re-boot would (sometimes) fix the issue, but it came back after a
                      >while in any case.
                      >
                      >Here's the thing.... for WPX, I used my old call (G8XCW) so I set up another
                      >database just for this contest. That is the only thing that I can see is
                      >different. If it is the "new" database that is causing the issue, could
                      >anyone suggest where I look in order to further pin down the problem? There
                      >is still only one .INI file and all it does (in this case) is point to the
                      >last contest and MDB file. I have saved a copy of the .INI file (since it
                      >will change for another contest tonight).
                      >
                      >Set-up:
                      >N1MM 9.4.1, Pentium 4, 2.66GHz, 1Gb RAM, Window XP Pro SP3
                      >
                      >73, Rob
                      >G4LMW
                      >http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

                    • Rob - G4LMW
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                        Thanks for the responses.

                        I will attempt to answer all the queries in one go..........

                        I was operating SO2V with TenTec Orion.

                        I had my virus checker running (The Shield Deluxe). However, I have the N1MM
                        Logger and CW IF executables set within the "Trusted Zone" to allow all
                        processing etc. I had no other programs running (I turned of "Microshaft
                        updates").

                        To clarify another question, when I refer to N1MM using processor time I was
                        already referring to the "Processes" tab in Task Manager.

                        If volume of spots is an issue then this may well be the cause. I have the
                        timeout set at 60 mins which I guess in this type of contest is going to be
                        an issue. But, when I closed the cluster and reloaded the contest, the
                        delay persisted. Would it require a full re-boot to clear the delay?

                        I really think that volume of spots is the issue. The bandmap was pretty
                        full at times. I guess it'll be hard to replicate until the next big contest
                        now!

                        73, Rob
                        G4LMW
                        http://www.G4LMW.co.uk
                      • N1MM
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                          Yes, 60 min is way too long for WPX. 15-20 minutes would be more
                          appropriate.

                          To reduce processing, you need to reduce the number of spots in the
                          database/bandmaps. To do that, you need to click on "remove all spots",
                          or reduce the packet timeout value. Just stopping the cluster will
                          merely stop new ones from coming in. That will help some, as a high
                          volume of spots coming in, coupled with a large number of spots in the
                          database/bandmaps will use the most processing power.

                          If you reboot, the database will contain all the spots that were there
                          when you shut down. When you come back up, old spots will be deleted,
                          but unless you shut down for a time longer than your packet spot
                          timeout, some will remain.

                          73,
                          Tom

                          Rob - G4LMW wrote:
                          > Thanks for the responses.
                          >
                          > I will attempt to answer all the queries in one go..........
                          >
                          > I was operating SO2V with TenTec Orion.
                          >
                          > I had my virus checker running (The Shield Deluxe). However, I have the N1MM
                          > Logger and CW IF executables set within the "Trusted Zone" to allow all
                          > processing etc. I had no other programs running (I turned of "Microshaft
                          > updates").
                          >
                          > To clarify another question, when I refer to N1MM using processor time I was
                          > already referring to the "Processes" tab in Task Manager.
                          >
                          > If volume of spots is an issue then this may well be the cause. I have the
                          > timeout set at 60 mins which I guess in this type of contest is going to be
                          > an issue. But, when I closed the cluster and reloaded the contest, the
                          > delay persisted. Would it require a full re-boot to clear the delay?
                          >
                          > I really think that volume of spots is the issue. The bandmap was pretty
                          > full at times. I guess it'll be hard to replicate until the next big contest
                          > now!
                          >
                          > 73, Rob
                          > G4LMW
                          > http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

                        • Art Searle W2NRA
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                            Hi Rob,

                            I'd say the most likely candidate is a large numbers of cluster spots in
                            this major contest, assuming you used the cluster. Give it a try now and
                            see if you get the delay. If that is not your problem then try your old ini
                            file now. If you don't have the problem with it I'd check the 2 files, side
                            by side, and look for a setting difference.

                            73 Art W2NRA
                            "Keep to the Code!"
                            w2nra.com
                            >I had the "delay" issue throughout the contest. Yet I have never
                            >experienced
                            > it in previous/other contests. My .mdb file is compacted, is only 3Mb and
                            > contains just the QSOs from this contest.
                            >
                            > I tried it with all other programs not running, telnet closed, 2nd VFO off
                            > (the bare bones) - but still had the delay. It happened whether in ESM or
                            > not and was present when hitting Enter (in ESM), F1 or using the mouse to
                            > click the F1 button. On looking at the "Task Manager", it would be
                            > N1MM.exe
                            > using all the processing (CW IF.exe was OK).
                            >
                            > A complete re-boot would (sometimes) fix the issue, but it came back after
                            > while in any case.
                            >
                            > Here's the thing.... for WPX, I used my old call (G8XCW) so I set up
                            > another
                            > database just for this contest. That is the only thing that I can see is
                            > different. If it is the "new" database that is causing the issue, could
                            > anyone suggest where I look in order to further pin down the problem?
                            > There
                            > is still only one .INI file and all it does (in this case) is point to the
                            > last contest and MDB file. I have saved a copy of the .INI file (since it
                            > will change for another contest tonight).
                            >
                            > Set-up:
                            > N1MM 9.4.1, Pentium 4, 2.66GHz, 1Gb RAM, Window XP Pro SP3
                            >
                            > 73, Rob
                            > G4LMW
                            > http://www.G4LMW.co.uk
                          • Rob - G4LMW
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                              Tom

                              Thanks for the advice. I am sure the spots are the issue. All understood and
                              will use the system more sensibly in future!

                              Thanks for a great program.

                              73, Rob
                              G4LMW
                              http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                                I am skeptical of this explanation, at least without some
                                nuances. During several S&P sessions during WPX, I had CW Skimmer
                                running, feeding me hundreds of spots on 20 and 15 meters. The
                                volume of spots from Skimmer is several times that from the DX
                                cluster network, yet I saw no delays. I was running a spot timeout
                                of 15 minutes, which may have helped, of course.

                                I do have one advantage - I am using a Winkey to generate CW - is
                                this perhaps a problem that is specific to parallel or serial port CW
                                generated by MM itself, rather than handed off to an outboard processor?

                                The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                                At 07:10 AM 6/1/2009, Rob - G4LMW wrote:
                                >Thanks for the responses.
                                >
                                >I will attempt to answer all the queries in one go..........
                                >
                                >I was operating SO2V with TenTec Orion.
                                >
                                >I had my virus checker running (The Shield Deluxe). However, I have the N1MM
                                >Logger and CW IF executables set within the "Trusted Zone" to allow all
                                >processing etc. I had no other programs running (I turned of "Microshaft
                                >updates").
                                >
                                >To clarify another question, when I refer to N1MM using processor time I was
                                >already referring to the "Processes" tab in Task Manager.
                                >
                                >If volume of spots is an issue then this may well be the cause. I have the
                                >timeout set at 60 mins which I guess in this type of contest is going to be
                                >an issue. But, when I closed the cluster and reloaded the contest, the
                                >delay persisted. Would it require a full re-boot to clear the delay?
                                >
                                >I really think that volume of spots is the issue. The bandmap was pretty
                                >full at times. I guess it'll be hard to replicate until the next big contest
                                >now!
                                >
                                >73, Rob
                                >G4LMW
                                >http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

                              • Steve London
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                                  How are you generating CW ? Winkey, serial or parallel port ? If Winkey, is it
                                  controlled with USB or a serial port ?

                                  When the delay was happening, was it every time you pressed F1, or just randomly ?

                                  I'm not yet convinced it was caused by the number of spots on the bandmap. With
                                  a 2.66 GHz box, that really shouldn't be an issue.

                                  73,
                                  Steve, N2IC

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                                    Sorry

                                    That is an important point that I neglected to mention. I am keying via a
                                    homebrew parallel port cable.

                                    But again, the problem only manifested during WPX.

                                    73, Rob
                                    G4LMW
                                    http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

                                    > How are you generating CW ? Winkey, serial or parallel port ? If Winkey,
                                    > is it
                                    > controlled with USB or a serial port ?
                                    >
                                    > When the delay was happening, was it every time you pressed F1, or just
                                    > randomly ?
                                    >
                                    > I'm not yet convinced it was caused by the number of spots on the bandmap.
                                    > With
                                    > a 2.66 GHz box, that really shouldn't be an issue.
                                    >
                                    > 73,
                                    > Steve, N2IC
                                    >
                                    > Rob - G4LMW wrote:
                                    >> Thanks for the responses.
                                    >>
                                    >> I will attempt to answer all the queries in one go..........
                                    >>
                                    >> I was operating SO2V with TenTec Orion.
                                    >>
                                    >> I had my virus checker running (The Shield Deluxe). However, I have the
                                    >> N1MM
                                    >> Logger and CW IF executables set within the "Trusted Zone" to allow all
                                    >> processing etc. I had no other programs running (I turned of "Microshaft
                                    >> updates").
                                    >>
                                    >> To clarify another question, when I refer to N1MM using processor time I
                                    >> was
                                    >> already referring to the "Processes" tab in Task Manager.
                                    >>
                                    >> If volume of spots is an issue then this may well be the cause. I have
                                    >> the
                                    >> timeout set at 60 mins which I guess in this type of contest is going to
                                    >> be
                                    >> an issue. But, when I closed the cluster and reloaded the contest, the
                                    >> delay
                                    >> persisted. Would it require a full re-boot to clear the delay?
                                    >>
                                    >> I really think that volume of spots is the issue. The bandmap was pretty
                                    >> full
                                    >> at times. I guess it'll be hard to replicate until the next big contest
                                    >> now!
                                    >>
                                    >> 73, Rob G4LMW http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

                                  • Rex Maner
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                                      NO Problem here ,, I did not use TELNET.

                                      Rex

                                      >I am skeptical of this explanation, at least without some
                                      > nuances. During several S&P sessions during WPX, I had CW Skimmer
                                      > running, feeding me hundreds of spots on 20 and 15 meters. The
                                      > volume of spots from Skimmer is several times that from the DX
                                      > cluster network, yet I saw no delays. I was running a spot timeout
                                      > of 15 minutes, which may have helped, of course.
                                      >
                                      > I do have one advantage - I am using a Winkey to generate CW - is
                                      > this perhaps a problem that is specific to parallel or serial port CW
                                      > generated by MM itself, rather than handed off to an outboard processor?
                                      >
                                      > 73, Pete N4ZR
                                      > New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at
                                      > http://wiki.contesting.com
                                      > www.conteststations.com
                                      > The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
                                      >

                                      > At 07:10 AM 6/1/2009, Rob - G4LMW wrote:
                                      >>Thanks for the responses.
                                      >>
                                      >>I will attempt to answer all the queries in one go..........
                                      >>
                                      >>I was operating SO2V with TenTec Orion.
                                      >>
                                      >>I had my virus checker running (The Shield Deluxe). However, I have the
                                      >>N1MM
                                      >>Logger and CW IF executables set within the "Trusted Zone" to allow all
                                      >>processing etc. I had no other programs running (I turned of "Microshaft
                                      >>updates").
                                      >>
                                      >>To clarify another question, when I refer to N1MM using processor time I
                                      >>was
                                      >>already referring to the "Processes" tab in Task Manager.
                                      >>
                                      >>If volume of spots is an issue then this may well be the cause. I have the
                                      >>timeout set at 60 mins which I guess in this type of contest is going to
                                      >>be
                                      >>an issue. But, when I closed the cluster and reloaded the contest, the
                                      >>delay persisted. Would it require a full re-boot to clear the delay?
                                      >>
                                      >>I really think that volume of spots is the issue. The bandmap was pretty
                                      >>full at times. I guess it'll be hard to replicate until the next big
                                      >>contest
                                      >>now!
                                      >>
                                      >>73, Rob
                                      >>G4LMW
                                      >>http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

                                      06:09:00

                                      Advance your career with an online Master's Degree. Free info. Click Now!
                                      http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/fc/BLSrjpYXUiDJuNV3KzQmALGgkkOvHT893QfV70pOee12vEQWH33U70UbINS/
                                    • Bud Morin
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                                        Not sure if this is relevant. After running for a while I would get a
                                        delay. If I disconnected from the cluster, waited a few minutes, and
                                        then reconnected, the delay was cured for a while again. Don't know why:
                                        old computer, too much data processing when on telnet, whatever.

                                        Bud, K9ZT