RE: [N1MM] Serial #'s

  • Ken McVie
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 31 8:28 PM
      Hi Steve, I will probably be going to the contest station site on Friday,
      I'll try the program again, to see what it's doing.

      After somebody ]I think it was Pete] suggested we were in S&P mode, we
      changed to run mode & it worked for some time, but then reverted back to '0'
      again while still in run mode. We were operating Multi-single. ESM was not
      used.

      73
      Ken
      ZL4NR
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 7, 2009
        Hi Steve,

        The crew member gathered yesterday on our contest location, eager to reproduce the serial # bug.

        How hard we were trying we coudn't do it. We have entered a couple hundred of qso's, tried number of combinations, after which we all come up to the conclusion, the number server is bullet proof. :-))

        I have to say, we didn't have exactly the same environment like the one used in the contest. We couldn't access the internet, so we were not having bandmap filled with the spots. So we couldn't test if something is going wrong when a radio is tuned over the bandmap spot and for some reason 0 is broadcasted over the network.

        It look's like that we have encountered a nasty bug, difficult to trace.

        The next time (wpx cw probably) ,we will try to pay more attention to find the pattern.

        Sorry we couldn't help you more.

        73's
        Sam, 9a3os

        I was breifly talking to my friends about this problem and they told me that that there is the pattern in getting 0. I didn't have enough time to go into details but as much as I figure out it has to do something with the running station tuning of the frequency.

        I can't access the network computers before Monday. If you don't figure out the cause of this problem before, I hope we will have enough info next week to reproduce the problem.

        73's
        Sam, 9a3os

        James Thresher wrote:
> [...]
        >>> when it shows the next correct serial number. Is there anyway to stop it
        >>> reverting to '0',
        >> or
        >>> is it like that for some particular purpose ?
        >>>
        >>> It's much easier to look at the entry window for the new number, than to
        >>> look for it on the logbook page.
        >>>
        >>> Using ver. 9.3.4 without ESM.
        >> I don't believe there is any alternative, but am not sure why there should
        >> be. Say you only get the prefix - like ZL. One space and you're in the
        >> exchange textbox with the correct new serial number displayed. Another
        >> space and you're back at the callsign textbox in the right position to
        >> complete the call.
        >>
        >> Serial number assignment is one of the trickier areas of the program, from
        >> what I understand. I don't think adding complexity there is really

      • Ken McVie
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 7, 2009
          Likewise here Steve, I fired up the contest station, opened a dummy log,
          entered in excess of 100 QSO's without a serial # hitch !! So I'm like Sam,
          we'll look at again when we next use it in a contest.

          73
          Ken ZL4NR

          James Thresher wrote:
> [...]
          it
          >>> reverting to '0',
          >> or
          >>> is it like that for some particular purpose ?
          >>>
          >>> It's much easier to look at the entry window for the new number, than
          >>> look for it on the logbook page.
          >>>
          >>> Using ver. 9.3.4 without ESM.
          >> I don't believe there is any alternative, but am not sure why there
          should
          >> be. Say you only get the prefix - like ZL. One space and you're in the
          >> exchange textbox with the correct new serial number displayed. Another
          >> space and you're back at the callsign textbox in the right position to
          >> complete the call.
          >>
          >> Serial number assignment is one of the trickier areas of the program,
          from
          >> what I understand. I don't think adding complexity there is really

        • K1TTT
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 7, 2009
            If you are talking about the problem where the displayed serial number keeps
            reverting to zero, that is fixed and should be out short. Was a weird bug
            related to having so2v/so2r radio with vfo's on different bands while on a
            network on the 3rd contest after the full moon.

            If its some other serial number problem, carry on your discussion.

            David Robbins K1TTT
            e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
            web: http://www.k1ttt.net

          • Rex Maner
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 7, 2009
              SO1V

              I have encountered a 0 (Zero) problem when running and know that I have an
              error in a privious contact, I click on the contact and it retrievs to the
              Entry window and then I have another caller so rather than take time to
              finish the error correction I have elected to WIPE, then when I click on
              the caller who is answering my CQ the Number window goes to Zero and will
              not send the next number in the Que. I have had to close the program and
              restart to get the SN to come up correct ??

              Not a big problem but a pain , I've had it happen more than 3 or 4 times .

              Quack aka Rex

              > Likewise here Steve, I fired up the contest station, opened a dummy log,
              > entered in excess of 100 QSO's without a serial # hitch !! So I'm like
              > Sam,
              > we'll look at again when we next use it in a contest.
              >
              > 73
              > Ken ZL4NR

              06:41:00
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 7, 2009
                Rex,

                I'm trying to duplicate what you are seeing. Are you referring to an RTTY
                contest? Because that is the only way I know of that you can click on the
                next caller. When you WIPE the QSO you are trying to edit to get to that
                next caller, are you sure that you are exiting the "edit" mode? In other
                words, does the blue/turquoise background of Quick Edit go away? If not,
                this could be the problem. Try hitting ESCAPE rather than WIPE and see if
                that makes a difference.

                > Likewise here Steve, I fired up the contest station, opened a dummy log,
                > entered in excess of 100 QSO's without a serial # hitch !! So I'm like
                > Sam,
                > we'll look at again when we next use it in a contest.
                >
                > 73
                > Ken ZL4NR

                06:41:00

              • Rex Maner
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 7, 2009
                  Ted
                  Yes I'm having this occur in a RTTY contest and what happens is I go into
                  Quick Edit and then rather than go ahead with Quick Edit I hit the Wipe key
                  and proceed to log the next contact and the Zero pops up. The program then
                  sends the 000 rather than the next sequence nr. I just went thru a test and
                  Noticed while not under contest HURRY that I am still in the Edit Mode, If
                  I hit the Escape key then the Log window exits the Edit Mode and the contact
                  will take normally.

                  I just learned something

                  > I'm trying to duplicate what you are seeing. Are you referring to an RTTY
                  > contest? Because that is the only way I know of that you can click on the
                  > next caller. When you WIPE the QSO you are trying to edit to get to that
                  > next caller, are you sure that you are exiting the "edit" mode? In other
                  > words, does the blue/turquoise background of Quick Edit go away? If not,
                  > this could be the problem. Try hitting ESCAPE rather than WIPE and see if
                  > that makes a difference.
                  >
                  > 73, Ted W4NZ

                  06:41:00
                • K1TTT
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 8, 2009
                    That is bad... if you quick edit and do wipe then you are replacing the
                    contact you tried to edit with the new contact data... so its no wonder it
                    has problems getting a serial number. You should escape or just enter the
                    previous contact then try to work the new guy. As long as that background
                    is blue you are editing not making a new contact.

                    David Robbins K1TTT
                    e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                    web: http://www.k1ttt.net

                  • Rex Maner
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 8, 2009
                      Your correct Dave
                      I have learned from this exchange of information THAT is what this Yahoo
                      groupe is about and for.

                      Quack

                      > That is bad... if you quick edit and do wipe then you are replacing the
                      > contact you tried to edit with the new contact data... so its no wonder it
                      > has problems getting a serial number. You should escape or just enter the
                      > previous contact then try to work the new guy. As long as that background
                      > is blue you are editing not making a new contact.
                      >

                      > David Robbins K1TTT
                      > e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                      > web: http://www.k1ttt.net

                      17:53:00