RE: [N1MM] Com Ports & External DVK devices

  • Robert Naumann
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
      Will,

      How could you possibly have 9 other serial port devices that are more
      important than your radio and 8 of those have to be on com ports 1 to 8?

      Something is not right with this.

      -Bob

      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
        Why do people insist in conformity? Windows supports more than 1-8, but if
        you want to know my configuration, here you go:
        COM 1-4 is Windows
        5-9 is the Navigator System
        10 is my USB to TTL for the Yaesu FT1000
        OH Yea, there are a few others!
        So, there you go... not your configuration... but it is mine.
        Will WC2L

        If I could, I would... that would be easy! That is the end of N1MM as
        it stands. Lack of Com support seems strange!

        73 Will WC2L

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Steve London <n2ic@...> wrote:

        > William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
        > > Can N1MM go beyond Com 8?
        >
        > No.
        >
        > > My rig is on Com 10 (USB).
        >
        > Go into Device Manager and change the virtual COM port to <= COM8.
        If it appears
        > that there are none available <= COM8, then google "xp removing
        hidden com ports".

        > > Also, I was trying to hook up an external voice keyer that has the
        Radio 1/2
        > > capability connected to an LPT port. Where/how is this configured?
        >
        > Config->Config Ports->Hardware->LPT . Select the DVK check box.
        >
        > 73,
        > Steve, N2IC

      • Robert Naumann
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
          Hold on Will - there is likely something wrong if you can't squeeze your
          radio in under Com 9.

          Even if you have two radios, you should not be using that many Com Ports.

          What do you mean by Com 1-4 is Windows? What are they doing?

          Also, what is the Navigator System using Com 5-9?

          -Bob

          If I could, I would... that would be easy! That is the end of N1MM as
          it stands. Lack of Com support seems strange!

          73 Will WC2L

          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Steve London <n2ic@...> wrote:

          > William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
          > > Can N1MM go beyond Com 8?
          >
          > No.
          >
          > > My rig is on Com 10 (USB).
          >
          > Go into Device Manager and change the virtual COM port to <= COM8.
          If it appears
          > that there are none available <= COM8, then google "xp removing
          hidden com ports".

          > > Also, I was trying to hook up an external voice keyer that has the
          Radio 1/2
          > > capability connected to an LPT port. Where/how is this configured?
          >
          > Config->Config Ports->Hardware->LPT . Select the DVK check box.
          >
          > 73,
          > Steve, N2IC

        • W0MU Mike Fatchett
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
            I fear when I try to SO2R with MK2R, two rotor controllers and
            skimmer/lp-pan on two radios I won't have enough of the 8 com ports.

            If you have a serial board those will usually be in the com1 to com4 range
            and you can move them up if you are not really using them. Hopefully other
            programs can see above com8 too.

            2 radios
            2 rtty
            1 cw
            1 mk2r
            1 ptt line might be able to get away without this
            2 rotors

            LP-Bridge will take one and let you direct the rig to 3 other software
            packages, one N1MM, Skimmer, daily logging.

            In a complex setup it could get interesting.

            I think the question is why would N1MM care if the com port was 1 or 45. I
            have no clue what the programming is that determines the com ports and what
            happens or why 1 - 8 was picked.

            While this may not be an issue for more than a handful we have new devices
            like Station Master that runs antennas, remote switching, rotors etc. Maybe
            station master would help with the com port limits or maybe it would require
            more.

            never get over." Ben Franklin

            If I could, I would... that would be easy! That is the end of N1MM as it
            stands. Lack of Com support seems strange!

            73 Will WC2L

            --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Steve London <n2ic@...> wrote:

            > William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
            > > Can N1MM go beyond Com 8?
            >
            > No.
            >
            > > My rig is on Com 10 (USB).
            >
            > Go into Device Manager and change the virtual COM port to <= COM8.
            If it appears
            > that there are none available <= COM8, then google "xp removing
            hidden com ports".

            > > Also, I was trying to hook up an external voice keyer that has the
            Radio 1/2
            > > capability connected to an LPT port. Where/how is this configured?
            >
            > Config->Config Ports->Hardware->LPT . Select the DVK check box.
            >
            > 73,
            > Steve, N2IC

          • W0MU Mike Fatchett
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
              He must have 4 hardware based com ports 1-4. You can tell windows to move
              them up above com 8 by going into device manager properties.

              never get over." Ben Franklin

              If I could, I would... that would be easy! That is the end of N1MM as it
              stands. Lack of Com support seems strange!

              73 Will WC2L

              --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Steve London <n2ic@...> wrote:

              > William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
              > > Can N1MM go beyond Com 8?
              >
              > No.
              >
              > > My rig is on Com 10 (USB).
              >
              > Go into Device Manager and change the virtual COM port to <= COM8.
              If it appears
              > that there are none available <= COM8, then google "xp removing
              hidden com ports".

              > > Also, I was trying to hook up an external voice keyer that has the
              Radio 1/2
              > > capability connected to an LPT port. Where/how is this configured?
              >
              > Config->Config Ports->Hardware->LPT . Select the DVK check box.
              >
              > 73,
              > Steve, N2IC

            • Cliff Frescura
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
                "COM 1-4 is Windows"

                What is physically connected to these ports?

                73,

                Cliff K3LL

                --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                Steve London <n2ic@...> wrote:

                > William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
                > > Can N1MM go beyond Com 8?
                >
                > No.
                >
                > > My rig is on Com 10 (USB).
                >
                > Go into Device Manager and change the virtual COM port to <= COM8.
                If it appears
                > that there are none available <= COM8, then google "xp removing
                hidden com ports".

                > > Also, I was trying to hook up an external voice keyer that has the
                Radio 1/2
                > > capability connected to an LPT port. Where/how is this configured?
                >
                > Config->Config Ports->Hardware->LPT . Select the DVK check box.
                >
                > 73,
                > Steve, N2IC

              • William Liporace - WC2L
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
                  My point exactly! Why do I need to limit, change or etc... Many programs
                  allow this. Could I reconfigure things... sure. My set allows me a lot of
                  flexibility. I like it... I started by asking two questions.. one is no..
                  other is still unanswered...

                  Will WC2L

                  If I could, I would... that would be easy! That is the end of N1MM as it
                  stands. Lack of Com support seems strange!

                  73 Will WC2L

                  --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Steve London <n2ic@...> wrote:

                  > William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
                  > > Can N1MM go beyond Com 8?
                  >
                  > No.
                  >
                  > > My rig is on Com 10 (USB).
                  >
                  > Go into Device Manager and change the virtual COM port to <= COM8.
                  If it appears
                  > that there are none available <= COM8, then google "xp removing
                  hidden com ports".

                  > > Also, I was trying to hook up an external voice keyer that has the
                  Radio 1/2
                  > > capability connected to an LPT port. Where/how is this configured?
                  >
                  > Config->Config Ports->Hardware->LPT . Select the DVK check box.
                  >
                  > 73,
                  > Steve, N2IC

                • Robert Naumann
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
                    The way you have described the first 9 of your com ports being used suggests
                    that something may not be correctly configured.

                    While it might be nice if N1MM was completely changed based on your request,
                    the likelihood of there being a much simpler and immediate resolution to
                    your problem is much more likely.

                    Your other question was already answered by N2IC.

                    > Also, I was trying to hook up an external voice keyer that has the
                    > Radio 1/2 capability connected to an LPT port. Where/how is this
                    configured?

                    Config->Config Ports->Hardware->LPT . Select the DVK check box.

                    73,
                    Steve, N2IC

                    If I could, I would... that would be easy! That is the end of N1MM as it
                    stands. Lack of Com support seems strange!

                    73 Will WC2L

                    --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Steve London <n2ic@...> wrote:

                    > William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
                    > > Can N1MM go beyond Com 8?
                    >
                    > No.
                    >
                    > > My rig is on Com 10 (USB).
                    >
                    > Go into Device Manager and change the virtual COM port to <= COM8.
                    If it appears
                    > that there are none available <= COM8, then google "xp removing
                    hidden com ports".

                    > > Also, I was trying to hook up an external voice keyer that has the
                    Radio 1/2
                    > > capability connected to an LPT port. Where/how is this configured?
                    >
                    > Config->Config Ports->Hardware->LPT . Select the DVK check box.
                    >
                    > 73,
                    > Steve, N2IC

                  • Joe Subich, W4TV
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
                      There are differences in the programming necessary to access
                      COM1-COM8 and ports above COM9. While the changes are not
                      significant, the interface changes necessary to support
                      COM ports above 8 are substantial.

                      Fortunately, there is no need for more than 8 COM ports to
                      operate N1MM (even with MK2R++) ... in fact it can be done
                      with four ports (Radio_1 CAT/PTT, Radio_2 CAT/PTT, Winkey
                      and Control). With MMTTY the FSK (and FSK PTT) port can be
                      above 8.

                      > 2 radios
                      > 2 rtty
                      > 1 cw
                      > 1 mk2r
                      > 1 ptt line might be able to get away without this
                      > 2 rotors

                      Rotors and FSK/RTTY can be above 8 (up to 16). PTT lines
                      can share their respective CAT ports.

                      > LP-Bridge will take one and let you direct the rig to 3 other
                      > software packages, one N1MM, Skimmer, daily logging.

                      LP Bridge will work with higher ports and provide higher ports
                      for applications like CW Skimmer.

                      > I think the question is why would N1MM care if the com port
                      > was 1 or 45. I have no clue what the programming is that
                      > determines the com ports and what happens or why 1 - 8 was
                      > picked.

                      1-8 was almost certainly chosen when there were not so many
                      demands on the number of ports. Since hardware ports were
                      always assigned by the operating system starting at 1, 1-8
                      makes the most sense. Now, the limit is essentially enforced
                      by the design of the program ... do you see any way to change
                      or expand the port numbers in the hardware configuration
                      screen?

                      Since N1MM does not require more than four of the first eight
                      ports if it is configured carefully, why should the development
                      team make a special effort and risk significant unintended
                      problems by ripping up the basic hardware configuration?

                      73,

                      ... Joe, W4TV

                    • Art Searle W2NRA
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
                        ROTOR CONTROL CAN USE COMPORTS FROM 1 TO 16. So if you use Rotor Control
                        ports 9 thru 16 you can control 8 towers and still have 8 comport for N1MM
                        Logger.

                        Rotor Control is a separate program and not restricted to comports 1 thru 8.

                        73 Art W2NRA
                        "Keep to the Code!"
                        w2nra.com
                        >I feel a bit confused, for manual says (in chapter on rotor control)
                        > that it could control up to 16 rotors (and every one needs its own COM
                        > port)...
                        >
                        > 73 Mirko, S57AD
                        >
                        > Steve London pravi:
                        >>
                        >> William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
                        >> > Can N1MM go beyond Com 8?
                        >>
                        >> No.
                        >>
                        >> > My rig is on Com 10 (USB).
                        >>
                        >> Go into Device Manager and change the virtual COM port to <= COM8. If
                        >> it appears
                        >> that there are none available <= COM8, then google "xp removing hidden
                        >> com ports".
                        >>

                        >> > Also, I was trying to hook up an external voice keyer that has the
                        >> Radio 1/2
                        >> > capability connected to an LPT port. Where/how is this configured?
                        >>
                        >> Config->Config Ports->Hardware->LPT . Select the DVK check box.
                        >>
                        >> 73,
                        >> Steve, N2IC
                      • Steve London
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
                          William Liporace - WC2L wrote:
                          > My point exactly! Why do I need to limit, change or etc... Many programs
                          > allow this. Could I reconfigure things... sure. My set allows me a lot of
                          > flexibility. I like it... I started by asking two questions.. one is no..
                          > other is still unanswered...

                          Your second question was answered. You obviously never got that far reading my
                          original response before you blew your cool over COM ports.

                          73,
                          Steve, N2IC
                        • William Liporace - WC2L
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
                            No, actually, I just missed it...

                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
                              OTOH, you *could just move it down into the lower 8 and move one of the
                              other devices up. That seems like a pretty puny showstopper.

                              73, Pete N4ZR

                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
                                Com 1-4 is Windows what? Hardware ports? In use?

                                73, Pete

                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
                                  The PTT line is not needed with the MK2R, if you use the microHam SO2R
                                  protocol.

                                  73, Pete

                                • Robert Naumann
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
                                    And for those who want to clear out those low number ports that don't need
                                    to be cluttering up your Device Manager listing anymore, you can follow this
                                    process:

                                    1. Click Start
                                    2. Click Run
                                    3. Type cmd.exe in the textbox and click OK
                                    4. Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and hit ENTER
                                    5. Type cd\windows\system32 and hit ENTER
                                    6. Type start devmgmt.msc and hit ENTER
                                    7. When the device manager opens, click the View menu
                                    8. Click Show Hidden Devices
                                    9. Click on the + sign next to the Ports to see the full list of Com ports
                                    being used.
                                    10. Highlight the port you wish to delete and then press delete. Accept when
                                    asked to do so and continue with any more that you wish to delete.

                                    This works. I just did it on my computer and I had 3 com ports still
                                    assigned to an EZMaster I tried to get working almost 2 years ago.

                                    If you delete something by mistake, the next time you reboot, the device
                                    will be reinstalled - although with a much lower com port number this time.

                                    73,

                                    Bob W5OV

                                    > My point exactly! Why do I need to limit, change or etc... Many programs
                                    > allow this. Could I reconfigure things... sure. My set allows me a lot of
                                    > flexibility. I like it... I started by asking two questions.. one is no..
                                    > other is still unanswered...

                                    Your second question was answered. You obviously never got that far reading
                                    my
                                    original response before you blew your cool over COM ports.

                                    73,
                                    Steve, N2IC

                                  • Art Burke
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
                                      Something *still* ins't right. Windows does not arbitrarily "hog"
                                      COM ports 1-4. I have my radio CAT communications on COM 3.
                                      I'll bet some of that stuff can be relocated.

                                      Art - N4PJ

                                      --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "William Liporace - WC2L"
                                      <wc2l@...> wrote:

                                      > Why do people insist in conformity? Windows supports more than 1-
                                      8, but if
                                      > you want to know my configuration, here you go:
                                      > COM 1-4 is Windows
                                      > 5-9 is the Navigator System
                                      > 10 is my USB to TTL for the Yaesu FT1000
                                      > OH Yea, there are a few others!
                                      > So, there you go... not your configuration... but it is mine.
                                      > Will WC2L

                                    • Richard Ferch
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
                                        Thanks very much for the detailed procedure, Bob. That was a real
                                        help. I found no fewer than 8 copies of my WKUSB and 10 copies of my
                                        Prolific USB-to-serial adapter on my laptop(!).

                                        One additional note: If you look closely at the list of Com ports,
                                        you may see some that are "greyed out", i.e. the port icon is paler
                                        than the icons for active ports. These are the nonpresent devices
                                        that the above sprocedure reveals, which are obviously the first
                                        candidates for deletion.

                                        73,
                                        Rich VE3KI

                                        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Naumann" <W5OV@...> wrote:

                                        > And for those who want to clear out those low number ports that
                                        don't need
                                        > to be cluttering up your Device Manager listing anymore, you can
                                        follow this
                                        > process:
                                        >
                                        > 1. Click Start
                                        > 2. Click Run
                                        > 3. Type cmd.exe in the textbox and click OK
                                        > 4. Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and hit ENTER
                                        > 5. Type cd\windows\system32 and hit ENTER
                                        > 6. Type start devmgmt.msc and hit ENTER
                                        > 7. When the device manager opens, click the View menu
                                        > 8. Click Show Hidden Devices
                                        > 9. Click on the + sign next to the Ports to see the full list of
                                        Com ports
                                        > being used.
                                        > 10. Highlight the port you wish to delete and then press delete.
                                        Accept when
                                        > asked to do so and continue with any more that you wish to delete.
                                        >
                                        > This works. I just did it on my computer and I had 3 com ports still
                                        > assigned to an EZMaster I tried to get working almost 2 years ago.
                                        >
                                        > If you delete something by mistake, the next time you reboot, the
                                        device
                                        > will be reinstalled - although with a much lower com port number
                                        this time.

                                        > 73,
                                        >
                                        > Bob W5OV

                                      • Tom Osborne
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 1, 2009
                                          > Why do people insist in conformity? Windows supports more than 1-8, but
                                          > if
                                          > you want to know my configuration, here you go:
                                          > COM 1-4 is Windows

                                          Hi Will

                                          Question--does your windows comports show com3? For some reason, when I go
                                          to device manager it shows I have com 1, skips 2 and 3, then I have a 4-port
                                          board for 4 through 7. Why does com2 and 3 not show up? Using XP here. 73
                                          Tom W7WHY
                                        • Mirko S57AD
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 2, 2009
                                            Thanks, Art, I overlooked the fact that rotors are controlled by
                                            separate program.

                                            73 Mirko, S57AD

                                            Art Searle W2NRA pravi:

                                            > ROTOR CONTROL CAN USE COMPORTS FROM 1 TO 16. So if you use Rotor Control
                                            > ports 9 thru 16 you can control 8 towers and still have 8 comport for
                                            > N1MM
                                            > Logger.
                                            >
                                            > Rotor Control is a separate program and not restricted to comports 1
                                            > thru 8.
                                            >
                                            > 73 Art W2NRA
                                            > "Keep to the Code!"
                                            > w2nra.com

                                          • Rich K2WR
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Mar 2, 2009
                                              I'm not an expert on COM port usage by any means, so please focus on the general theme of what follows rather than the details. Someone will correct the details if necessary.

                                              There is actually some basis for saying that "COM 1-4" are for Windows, but this can be overcome. If you remember the old days when computers had RS-232 serial ports, it was common for the built-in port (i.e. on the motherboard) to default to COM 1, and the built-in dial-up modem to default to COM 2. If you used a PCI or ISA card for extra ports, and wanted one of them to be COM 1, it was usually necessary to turn off the built-in port in the BIOS. The modem, if you ever wanted to use it, was best left on COM 2. Further complicating things was that COM 1 and 3 shared an interrupt in DOS, and likewise COM 2 and 4. The fact that Windows versions before XP (and other NT-based versions) were essentially shells and GUI's over DOS made it unwise to try to fool mother nature.

                                              These days, you probably haven't used the 56K modem in your laptop in years, if ever, and it's very unlikely you even have a cable connected to it during a contest. So put something on COM 2 if you need to, and ignore the warning you'll get from Windows... it probably doesn't matter. If you're not using the RS-232 port, or even better if you don't have one, use COM 1 with impunity. Since I don't think N1MM uses the interrupt structure (but does need the correct device address), using COM 3 and COM 4 for virtual USB-created ports while also using COM 1 and COM 2 probably doesn't pose a problem either.

                                              As I said, I'm no expert, but these legacy port numbers may well be available if they're not being used for anything else (especially after using W5OV's method for clearing them out of device manager).

                                              Rich K2WR