CW Macro delay

  • Rob Thomson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      I have searched the archives and this has come up before but not sure
      there was an answer....

      I have run N1MM for a couple of years with my FT-897 with no problems
      using CW via the parallel port and CAT via serial port.

      I now have an FT-2000 as well. However, when I use exacly the same set-
      up (other than different serial ports for CAT), there is often a big
      delay (1s or so) when using the CW macros on the FT-2000. If I switch
      back to the FT-897 the CW is sent instantly.

      So - I tried checking the parallel port output ONLY into an oscillator.
      Again, no problem with the 897 but intermittent delay with the 2000.

      It suggests to me a processor delay

      This is driving me crazy - so any ideas are very welcome.

      Rob, G4LMW
    • John, K3CT
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
        Rob,

        Here are some questions to help narrow down the problem. There are many
        FT-2000 users out there without this problem.

        Do you have PTT delay set for the FT-2000? If you are using program PTT, I
        would disable it until you figure out what is going on.

        Are you using the same com port for radio control and CW? If so, try LPT for
        CW.

        When you connect the FT-2000, is that the only radio defined in Configurer?
        For SO1V or SO2V there should only be one radio defined.

        What happens if you use the FT-897 radio com port for the FT-2000?

        With the FT-2000 connected, what happens if you set the radio type to none
        and just send CW?

        >I have searched the archives and this has come up before but not sure
        > there was an answer....
        >
        > I have run N1MM for a couple of years with my FT-897 with no problems
        > using CW via the parallel port and CAT via serial port.
        >
        > I now have an FT-2000 as well. However, when I use exacly the same set-
        > up (other than different serial ports for CAT), there is often a big
        > delay (1s or so) when using the CW macros on the FT-2000. If I switch
        > back to the FT-897 the CW is sent instantly.
        >
        > So - I tried checking the parallel port output ONLY into an oscillator.
        > Again, no problem with the 897 but intermittent delay with the 2000.
        >
        > It suggests to me a processor delay
        >
        > This is driving me crazy - so any ideas are very welcome.
        >
        > Rob, G4LMW

      • Rob - G4LMW
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
          John

          Thank you for your pointers

          It wasn't the PTT delay.
          I was using the parallel port already for CW
          I only had the FT-2000 set up in the hardware list

          The only thing that I had not tried was to use the same com port as the 897
          (removing the 897 first of course!). This seems to have solved the issue.

          The 897 was connected to a separate PCI card with 2 serial ports. I had
          connected the 2000 to one of the on-board serial ports. These are obviously
          not up to the task. I connected the 2000 to the spare PCI port (the reason
          that I had not done this already is that I had to cut the PC chassis a
          little to get the plug in!)

          Sorry for the long-winded explanation but would rather that the solution is
          there for future problem for others!

          Again, thanks for your guidance.

          73, Rob
          G4LMW