Re: [N1MM] 160 ssb

  • N7mal
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 28, 2009
      You said:""Since most of the problems seem to be "cockpit error", take some
      time
      BEFORE the contest (a week or so - not 5 minutes) to set things up and
      test it. Then when you mess up, you have time to get things right and
      there won't be any surprises.""

      I've been using N1MM for approx 2 years mostly 99% problem free.

      p.s. I've been a ham longer than you've been alive and I really don't need
      your attitude..... You forgot to quote me when I said this: Perhaps if
      everyone would check their attitude at the door

      MAL
      N7MAL
      BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
      http://www.n7mal.com
      Everyone in the world is
      entitled to be burdened
      by my opinion

      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 1, 2009
        I am submitting my experiences as a learning experience so others who
        may have had the same situations may learn from my mistakes:

        I had the same situation here. I started the contest by selecting
        CQ160mSSB as the contest from the drop down menu. I operated until about
        3:00 am and went to bed and shut down the computer. The next night I
        restarted the computer and N1MM and it opened automatically to the
        CQ160SSB contest log where I had left off. I started logging new
        stations and after logging about 5 I noticed since restarting the
        exchange was now 599 and not 59. I typed SSB into the call entry window
        to switch back to SSB. I could not change the 599 to 59 using QUICK
        EDIT. I had to use the EDIT CONTACT function to open the EDIT CONTACT
        window to change the 599 to 59 for both sent and received then hit
        update. That changed the 599 reports to 59 in my log window.

        HOWEVER, after the contest when I converted my log to an ADIF file and
        loaded it into DX4WIN the 599 reports where still there and those
        affected QSO's were shown as CW by DX4WIN. So by typing SSB into the
        call window to change back to SSB did not change those QSO's accidently
        logged as CW to SSB, only those QSO's made after the change. So even if
        my CABRILLO log showed 59 reports they were not changed in the ADIF
        file. Also, I expected to see the state worked in the DX4WIN RECVD
        window next to the 59 reports but it was blank. I did not produce my
        CABRILLO and ADIF logs until after the contest and long after I made the
        corrections. When I was asked if I wanted to rescore my log before
        making the ADIF log I said yes.

        Another point when down loading a N1MM ADIF log to DX4WIN is that the
        N1MM SCORE window QSO count DOES NOT count DUPES. When I download an
        ADIF file to DX4WIN I first check my current QSO count. Then after the
        download I make sure my before download QSO total plus the QSO's in my
        ADIF log equal the new DX4WIN QSO total. In my case I was off by one
        QSO. I determined that was because I had one DUPE that was not counted
        by N1MM but was counted by DX4WIN. I am a former CT user, from way back
        when CT was on 4 1/2 floppies. With CT it was easy to see your total QSO
        count including DUPES. I don't see anyway of seeing this with N1MM.

        I NOW see, after further research, that when I had my EDIT CONTACT
        window open and changed the 599 reports to 59 I should have ALSO changed
        the MODE box from CW to SSB, something I did not notice at the time.
        That would have solved the ADIF file errors. My score might be wrong
        also but to the best of my knowledge the contest people will just use
        the CABRILLO file submitted and figure the score their selves.
        Alan Zack
        Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
        Official USCG Auxiliary Comm Station
        Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
        Delta Rocket Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
        http://www.geocities.com/k7acz
        http://gocoastguard.com
        http://www.uscgradio.net
        http://www.comm-one.org

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 1, 2009
          Allan,

          If you look in your Cabrillo file, you may find the mode for some of
          your QSOs (the ones where you edited 599 to 59) was reported as CW
          instead of PH. The mode is the column between the frequency and the
          date in the Cabrillo QSO records. You should edit those modes as well
          (or edit the QSOs in your N1MM Logger databse and re-export the
          Cabrillo file after doing so).

          73,
          Rich VE3KI

          The one way I know of of counting the number of duplicate contacts

          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Zack" <k7acz@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > count including DUPES. I don't see anyway of seeing this with N1MM.
          >
          > I NOW see, after further research, that when I had my EDIT CONTACT
          > window open and changed the 599 reports to 59 I should have ALSO
          changed
          > the MODE box from CW to SSB, something I did not notice at the
          time.
          > That would have solved the ADIF file errors. My score might be
          wrong
          > also but to the best of my knowledge the contest people will just
          use
          > the CABRILLO file submitted and figure the score their selves.
          > Alan Zack
          > Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
          > Official USCG Auxiliary Comm Station
          > Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
          > Delta Rocket Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
          > Aviation Chief Warrant Officer, U.S. Coast Guard, Retired

        • Alan Zack
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 1, 2009
            Rich,

            Thanks for the heads up. You are absolutely correct. There are some
            QSO's logged as CW and not SSB. If not for your email I would have lost
            those points and mults. I did not notice this before your email.

          • robby106
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
              OK Joe,

              Thanks for that information. I use an ICOM 746pro with the
              microKEYER. I use mostly CW/RTTY/SSB with some PSK31 99% of the time.
              The thing is sometimes the router software will not let me do what I
              want. I would like to know how I can permenantly disable the band
              plan feature so I can transmit anywhere in the ham bands using any
              mode that I wish to use. I am aware of the regulations which govern
              my use of frequency allocations and I am aware of band plans and
              gentlemens agreements. I just don't want to be regulated further by
              the router software.

              I can change the settings on the band plans and I can remove
              everything but when I load the router next time it is all back.

              -Robby

              --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...>
              wrote:

              > Robby,
              >
              > > If you are using one of the microKEYERs go to Router and options
              > > and remove everything from the bandmaps.
              >
              > Nothing in Router will effect the mode being returned to the
              > logging program. However, if you don't want frequency based
              > mode switching with the microHAM microKEYER or microKEYER II
              > (e.g., if you do not use a Kenwood, older Icom or TenTec radio
              > that does not have a separate mode for AFSK) simply set the
              > "Voice/Digital" box on the Audio Switching tab to "Always
              > Voice." When you do so, remember to update all of your presets.
              >
              > If you want to use the automatic mode switching capabilities but
              > need to edit the "digital" allocations, simply close and restart
              > Router after editing the "digital band map" to insure that the
              > updates are properly saved to the registry.
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > ... Joe, W4TV

            • Joe Subich, W4TV
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                > I can change the settings on the band plans and I can remove
                > everything but when I load the router next time it is all back.

                Changes are saved as long as you close Router normally. However,
                Router will recreate the default digital bandmap if none exists.

                > I would like to know how I can permenantly disable the band
                > plan feature so I can transmit anywhere in the ham bands using
                > any mode that I wish to use.

                Digital Band Map is key to automatic mode switching (selection
                of mic vs. line, PTT input, etc.) for transceivers that lack a
                specific "AFSK" mode (e.g., all Kenwood, Icom prior to the
                756ProII/746 Pro, and TenTec).

                If the transceiver supports a specific mode for AFSK modes (e.g.,
                PKT in the FT-1000 series, LSB_D/USB_D in the Icom "Pro" rigs),
                setting the Voice/Digital selector on the "Audio Switching" tab
                to "Use Voice settings" will disable automatic mode switching in
                USB, LSB, FM and AM modes.

                Router will still provide parameter switching for "digital"
                modes if the transceiver has (and the operator uses) modes
                optimized for digital modes as designed by the manufacturer
                (for example - "Packet (AFSK) Operation," page 76 of the
                IC-746Pro manual).

                73,

                ... Joe, W4TV

              • robby106
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                  Thank you Joe. This problem was eating at my brain cell at the same
                  time as a problem (self inflicted) with WinWarbler. After I corrected
                  that and switched to "Use Voice Settings" everything started working
                  right.
                  As long as I can go where I need to go in each mode, I guess the band
                  plan settings won't bother me.
                  Thanks once again for pointing the way.
                  Now I will post my other two problems to the microKEYER group.
                  73,
                  -Robby
                  VY2SS