Re: [N1MM] Logger, Skimmer, Wintelnetx, Impossible?

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2008
      The problem is that the radio's serial port normally only wants to talk to
      one program at a time. In my case, I prefer to connect MM and the radio,
      and rely on Telnet to get the spots onto the MM bandmap for
      clickability. On the other hand, I know some people prefer to use the
      Skimmer bandmap this way, perhaps because they can see holes in current
      activity for a possible run frequency, and do other things that MM's
      bandmap can't do, like gauging the strength of a signal, the size of the
      pileup that is on it already, etc.

      There are two solutions I know about currently:

      1. get a MicroHam interface that supports the latest Router software. The
      software permits allocating two serial ports to the same radio, so that you
      can connect Skimmer to one and MM to the other.

      2. Attempt the same thing with serial port splitter software. Some people
      have reported success with serial port splitter software, including a
      freeware offering from
      <http://www.eterlogic.com/>www.eterlogic.com. Others warn of potential
      difficulties, but it costs nothing to try it.

      73, Pete N4ZR

      At 02:49 AM 12/3/2008, Martin Sole wrote:
      >Logger to radio, no problems
      >Skimmer to radio, no problems
      >Wintelnetx to telnet cluster, skimmer and radio. I think this is working
      >right.
      >
      >The problem:
      >
      >Of the three programs which one should connect to the radio?
      >
      >As it stands, if I have logger talk to the radio skimmer can only show
      >relative frequency offset and clicking a callsign in skimmer does not
      >move the radio. Telnet spots show up in the bandmap and clicking them
      >moves the radio no problem. If I have the radio connected to skimmer
      >clicking callsigns in skimmer now moves the radio but they still do not
      >show up on the bandmap, or move it and clicking the bandmap will not
      >move the radio.
      >
      >Hopefully that is clearer to understand that it seems to read.
      >
      >Any ideas?
    • Martin Sole
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2008
        Thanks for the useful information. I think I have it sorted reasonably
        now and doing pretty much what I hoped it would. Here is what I have
        configured:
        Eterlogic virtual serial port set to splitter mode with a virtual COM2
        to real COM1
        N1MM radio control set to COM2
        CW Skimmer set to COM2

        Both apps can now read from and write to the radio. I think the radio
        responds to a frequency change command with a reply that includes the
        same information, the VSPE then places that on COM2 which broadcasts it
        to both apps. So far so good.

        Wintelnetx is routing spots from both a telnet cluster and CW Skimmer to
        the N1MM logger bandmap.

        Clicking a spot in the bandmap now moves the radio to that frequency and
        zeroes skimmer. Likewise clicking the spot in skimmer moves the radio to
        that frequency and updates the bandmap.

        I don't know what the likely problems with this might be other than the
        notion that so many applications passing serial data between each other
        within windows might just precipitate some digital meltdown, right now
        and in a reasonably benign environment it seems stable.

        Martin,HS0ZED