RE: [N1MM] QSO parties -- 3-in-1 section file

  • rojomn
    Message 1 of 30 , May 1, 2008
      Except the file is not found, 404 error when attempt to download. The
      address must be wrong or the file type or some such thing.

      Gil, W0MN http://webpages.charter.net/gbaron
      N 44.082147 W 92.513085 1050'
      Hierro Candente, Batir de repente

    • Rex K7QQ
      Message 2 of 30 , May 1, 2008
        Bud , Bob and Others
        I suspect that its a bit late to try to put something together that will
        work all 3. It can get very confusing during a run to try to switch
        logs even if only 2 or 3 Q's per minute. Dreaming.

        I am going to just force log the INQP and NEQP Q's then post contest
        try to sort them out. or just send the complete log to all 3 sponsors
        and if they can figure it out HOORAY......

        Quack

        Robert Chudek - K0RC wrote:
        > Bud,
        >
        > There's a problem with the file you posted. First, as Tom W7WHY pointed out, you can't download it using Internet Explorer. Second, I did download it using FireFox but it's not a valid SEC file. It has HTML coding in it.
        >
        > Maybe we're jumping the gun and you don't have everything in place yet?
        >
        > 73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

      • Robert Chudek - K0RC
        Message 3 of 30 , May 1, 2008
          Quack... quack... (did I hear an echo?)

          It's not too late. Go to the webpage Bud created, download the file, and follow the setup instructions. There's even a visual guide of the N1MM windows. This will allow you to log all three QSO Parties using the 7QP template. No need to force enter anything. It works slick... I just verified it here.

          Here's the link again: http://www3.telus.net/va7st/multi_sec.htm

          73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

          Robert Chudek - K0RC wrote:
          > Bud,
          >
          > There's a problem with the file you posted. First, as Tom W7WHY pointed out, you can't download it using Internet Explorer. Second, I did download it using FireFox but it's not a valid SEC file. It has HTML coding in it.
          >
          > Maybe we're jumping the gun and you don't have everything in place yet?
          >
          > 73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

        • Tim Gennett
          Message 4 of 30 , May 2, 2008
            I used a similar method last year to operate all 3 QSO parties (INQP, 7QP
            and NEQP) at the same time. One other quirk you may want to adjust for:
            Indiana has a Delaware county which uses the abbreviation "DEL." Normally,
            N1MM recognizes that as Delaware the state and, if you enter DEL in the
            exchange field, N1MM will convert it to DE and count it as the state having
            been worked instead of the county. My work around was to edit the
            "StatesAndProvinces.sec" file to eliminate the "DEL DE" line. The
            StatesAndProvinces.sec file is divided up into different sections for
            different QSO parties so you need to either change them all or change the
            one that works with whatever contest module you load.

            Tim K9WX (look for me in Benton County in the INQP)

            Message 5 of 30 , May 2, 2008
              Bob
              Do I just place this file in N1MM then create a log using QSO
              Party multi ???

              7QP Multi ??/

              Quack Quuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaacccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkk

            • Rex K7QQ
              Message 6 of 30 , May 2, 2008
                OK OK I got um all in there, and it is showing the NEQP / INQP mult
                list along with 7QP
                The scoring was going to be Off big time the way I was going so NO biggie.

                QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ]

              • Robert Chudek - K0RC
                Message 7 of 30 , May 2, 2008
                  Yes you put the downloaded file in the N1MM program directory. Then you start N1MM in its normal mode and select QSOPARTY & select 7QP from the menu list of Parties.

                  PRINT OUT the webpage here: http://www3.telus.net/va7st/multi_sec.htm

                  It has the step-by-step instructions you need to follow. It shows what to do better than I can explain here in text.

                  73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

                  Robert Chudek - K0RC wrote:
                  > Quack... quack... (did I hear an echo?)
                  >
                  > It's not too late. Go to the webpage Bud created, download the file, and follow the setup instructions. There's even a visual guide of the N1MM windows. This will allow you to log all three QSO Parties using the 7QP template. No need to force enter anything. It works slick... I just verified it here.
                  >
                  > Here's the link again: http://www3.telus.net/va7st/multi_sec.htm
                  >
                  > 73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

                • Ed Hughes
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 2, 2008
                    Tnx to Bud for the Multi.sec file & to Bob for the contest visualizer. Just trying to visualize the big picture, if one plans to operate all 3 events, would this be a reasonable approach.

                    Create a contest in N1MM for 7QP using normal sec file
                    Create a contest in N1MM for 7QP using VA7ST sec file
                    give them different start dates
                    Create a NEQP contest in N1MM using normal sec file &
                    using a different date from either of the two above.
                    Contests start -
                    from 13 to 16 zulu use the 7QP "normal" contest
                    from 16 to 05 zulu use the 7QP VA7ST version
                    from 05 to 07 zulu use the 7QP "normal" contest
                    from 13 to 00 zulu use the NEQP "normal" contest

                    Then edit the cabrillos to arrive at a entry for &QP, INQP &
                    NEQP.

                    Ed
                    KG4W

                      Message 10 of 30 , May 2, 2008
                        When u click on "import section list" set the next screen up to display "all files" not just "sec" files. Then highlight
                        "qsoparty-multi.sec.txt" then click "open". See if that works.

                        Ed
                        KG4W

                        Message 11 of 30 , May 2, 2008
                          I had the same problem. When I click on import section list, it just
                          loads what it thinks is the correct file.
                          John Graves
                          WA1JG
                          jh.graves@...

                          Ed Hughes wrote:

                          > When u click on "import section list" set the next screen up to display
                          > "all files" not just "sec" files. Then highlight
                          > "qsoparty-multi.sec.txt" then click "open". See if that works.
                          >
                          > Ed
                          > KG4W

                        • Steve
                          Message 12 of 30 , May 2, 2008
                            Try this: Set up the 7QP contest with the default section file and OK to
                            close the contest setup window.

                            Then File ==> Open Log in Database, select the 7QP contest (if it isn't
                            already) and click the Import Section List button. You should then see
                            the Choose a File window come open, wherein you can select the
                            qsoparty-multi section file.

                            Steve K8JQ

                            John Graves wrote:
                            > I had the same problem. When I click on import section list, it just
                            > loads what it thinks is the correct file.
                            > John Graves
                            > WA1JG
                            > jh.graves@...
                            >
                            > Ed Hughes wrote:
                            >
                            >> When u click on "import section list" set the next screen up to display
                            >> "all files" not just "sec" files. Then highlight
                            >> "qsoparty-multi.sec.txt" then click "open". See if that works.
                            >>
                            >> Ed
                            >> KG4W

                            Read The Patriot It's Right -- It's Free
                            http://PatriotPost.US/subscribe/ Veritas vos Liberabit
                          • John Graves
                            Message 13 of 30 , May 2, 2008
                              Steve,

                              Thanks....Good luck this weekend

                              John Graves
                              WA1JG
                              jh.graves@...

                              Steve wrote:

                              > Try this: Set up the 7QP contest with the default section file and OK to
                              > close the contest setup window.
                              >
                              > Then File ==> Open Log in Database, select the 7QP contest (if it isn't
                              > already) and click the Import Section List button. You should then see
                              > the Choose a File window come open, wherein you can select the
                              > qsoparty-multi section file.
                              >
                              > Steve K8JQ
                              >
                              > John Graves wrote:
                              > > I had the same problem. When I click on import section list, it just
                              > > loads what it thinks is the correct file.
                              > > John Graves
                              > > WA1JG
                              > > jh.graves@... <mailto:jh.graves%40verizon.net>
                              > >
                              > > Ed Hughes wrote:
                              > >
                              > >> When u click on "import section list" set the next screen up to display
                              > >> "all files" not just "sec" files. Then highlight
                              > >> "qsoparty-multi.sec.txt" then click "open". See if that works.
                              > >>
                              > >> Ed
                              > >> KG4W

                            • Rex K7QQ
                              Message 14 of 30 , May 2, 2008
                                hello Guys

                                GO to this URL and scroll down and follow the Pictures , If You can't
                                read, THAT is what I had to do

                                Steve wrote:
                                > Try this: Set up the 7QP contest with the default section file and OK to
                                > close the contest setup window.
                                >
                                > Then File ==> Open Log in Database, select the 7QP contest (if it isn't
                                > already) and click the Import Section List button. You should then see
                                > the Choose a File window come open, wherein you can select the
                                > qsoparty-multi section file.
                                >
                                > Steve K8JQ
                                >
                                > John Graves wrote:
                                >
                                >> I had the same problem. When I click on import section list, it just
                                >> loads what it thinks is the correct file.
                                >> John Graves
                                >> WA1JG
                                >> jh.graves@...
                                >>
                                >> Ed Hughes wrote:
                                >>

                                >>> When u click on "import section list" set the next screen up to display
                                >>> "all files" not just "sec" files. Then highlight
                                >>> "qsoparty-multi.sec.txt" then click "open". See if that works.
                                >>>
                                >>> Ed
                                >>> KG4W

                              • Robert Johnsen
                                Message 15 of 30 , May 2, 2008
                                  It worked- All OK now- Tnx, Bob J. K7TR

                                  John Graves wrote:
                                  > I had the same problem. When I click on import section list, it just
                                  > loads what it thinks is the correct file.
                                  > John Graves
                                  > WA1JG
                                  > jh.graves@...
                                  >
                                  > Ed Hughes wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> When u click on "import section list" set the next screen up to display
                                  >> "all files" not just "sec" files. Then highlight
                                  >> "qsoparty-multi.sec.txt" then click "open". See if that works.
                                  >>
                                  >> Ed
                                  >> KG4W

                                • va7st
                                  Message 16 of 30 , May 2, 2008
                                    Hi all. I've updated the instructions at:

                                    http://www3.telus.net/va7st/multi_sec.htm

                                    Thanks to several alert testers, we discovered that the original
                                    instructions for importing the new section file only work properly if
                                    you have already created a QSOPARTY log for 7QP and access it using
                                    "Open Log in Database" (rather than "New Log in Database").

                                    The revised instructions include steps to create a new 7QP log, then
                                    close the new log and open it again -- that way, the "Import Section
                                    File" button will open a File Browser for locating the
                                    qsoparty-multi.sec file.

                                    My apologies for "building an airplane in the air" like this. Turns
                                    out describing all the steps to do this meant actually knowing what
                                    all the steps are -- from scratch, not from an existing log.

                                    -- Bud, VA7ST

                                    --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, John Graves <jh.graves@...> wrote:

                                    > I had the same problem. When I click on import section list, it just
                                    > loads what it thinks is the correct file.
                                    > John Graves
                                    > WA1JG
                                    > jh.graves@...
                                    >
                                    > Ed Hughes wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > When u click on "import section list" set the next screen up to
                                    display
                                    > > "all files" not just "sec" files. Then highlight
                                    > > "qsoparty-multi.sec.txt" then click "open". See if that works.
                                    > >
                                    > > Ed
                                    > > KG4W

                                    5/2/2008 4:34 PM

                                  • Bruce Phegley
                                    Message 17 of 30 , May 3, 2008
                                      I have 200 qs in the log I started last night,mixed CH (marac) INQP,
                                      7QP, NEQP, I had to force most of them. If I update the database now,
                                      will I foul the log up more than it is now?
                                      thanks, bruce w4ov

                                      va7st wrote:

                                      > Hi all. I've updated the instructions at:
                                      >
                                      > http://www3.telus.net/va7st/multi_sec.htm
                                      > <http://www3.telus.net/va7st/multi_sec.htm>
                                      >
                                      > Thanks to several alert testers, we discovered that the original
                                      > instructions for importing the new section file only work properly if
                                      > you have already created a QSOPARTY log for 7QP and access it using
                                      > "Open Log in Database" (rather than "New Log in Database").
                                      >
                                      > The revised instructions include steps to create a new 7QP log, then
                                      > close the new log and open it again -- that way, the "Import Section
                                      > File" button will open a File Browser for locating the
                                      > qsoparty-multi.sec file.
                                      >
                                      > My apologies for "building an airplane in the air" like this. Turns
                                      > out describing all the steps to do this meant actually knowing what
                                      > all the steps are -- from scratch, not from an existing log.
                                      >
                                      > -- Bud, VA7ST
                                      >
                                      > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com
                                      > <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>, John Graves <jh.graves@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I had the same problem. When I click on import section list, it just
                                      > > loads what it thinks is the correct file.
                                      > > John Graves
                                      > > WA1JG
                                      > > jh.graves@...
                                      > >
                                      > > Ed Hughes wrote:
                                      > > >

                                      > > > When u click on "import section list" set the next screen up to
                                      > display
                                      > > > "all files" not just "sec" files. Then highlight
                                      > > > "qsoparty-multi.sec.txt" then click "open". See if that works.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Ed
                                      > > > KG4W

                                      "If you have to be in two places at the same time then you better hustle"
                                    • John Graves
                                      Message 18 of 30 , May 3, 2008
                                        I also had to force a number of entries. It appears that the codes for
                                        states outside of INQP 7QP, and NEQP, who are asking for contacts are
                                        not recognized as legitimate contacts. This is the first QSO Party I
                                        have participated in and I am assuming that even if I am not gaining a
                                        score for a contact, I should log the contact.

                                        John Graves
                                        WA1JG
                                        jh.graves@...

                                      • Bruce Phegley
                                        Message 19 of 30 , May 4, 2008
                                          Hi John,
                                          7qp mults were ok it is the others that had to be forced. I have worked
                                          the NEQP before so I am now concentrating on 7QP. I think the new
                                          instructions from va7st will fix our problem.
                                          73 have fun.
                                          w4ov

                                        • Ralph
                                          Message 20 of 30 , May 4, 2008
                                            Everything worked perfect in 7QP and NEQP until I printed out the
                                            cabillo file. There's no state/province listed in cabrillo for
                                            NEQP... it's blank. Just the 3 letter county. I can't figure out
                                            what I goofed up? The five letter exchange for 7QP in cabrillo was
                                            fine.

                                            Ralph K1ZZI

                                            --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "va7st" <ve7ask@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi all. Don't know if this is the best or even a totally safe
                                            solution
                                            > for playing in all three QSO parties this weekend, but it seems to
                                            > work well enough to share with the group.
                                            >
                                            > I created a new three-in-one "section" file that contains counties
                                            for
                                            > all three events -- 7QP, New England QP, and Indiana QP. The file
                                            and
                                            > instructions for how to get it into N1MM Logger are posted on my
                                            > website at:
                                            >
                                            > http://www3.telus.net/va7st/multi_sec.htm
                                            >
                                            > I've tested it and haven't broken N1MM Logger (so far). You won't
                                            get
                                            > a real score using this, but you will be able to work stations in
                                            all
                                            > three QSO parties without swapping logs to keep track of who's a
                                            mult
                                            > and who isn't.
                                            >
                                            > As always, your mileage may vary. Good luck and have a ton of fun
                                            this
                                            > weekend!
                                            >
                                            > -- Bud, VA7ST

                                          • Rex K7QQ
                                            Message 21 of 30 , May 4, 2008
                                              Not sure but I think the problem is that the NEQP mults are listed
                                              without the state. would have been nice if all could have the state
                                              listed first, but we have to play by their rules (( SHOOT ))

                                              Quack

                                              Ralph wrote:
                                              > Everything worked perfect in 7QP and NEQP until I printed out the
                                              > cabillo file. There's no state/province listed in cabrillo for
                                              > NEQP... it's blank. Just the 3 letter county. I can't figure out
                                              > what I goofed up? The five letter exchange for 7QP in cabrillo was
                                              > fine.
                                              >
                                              > Ralph K1ZZI
                                              >
                                              > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "va7st" <ve7ask@...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              >> Hi all. Don't know if this is the best or even a totally safe
                                              >>
                                              > solution
                                              >
                                              >> for playing in all three QSO parties this weekend, but it seems to
                                              >> work well enough to share with the group.
                                              >>
                                              >> I created a new three-in-one "section" file that contains counties
                                              >>
                                              > for
                                              >
                                              >> all three events -- 7QP, New England QP, and Indiana QP. The file
                                              >>
                                              > and
                                              >
                                              >> instructions for how to get it into N1MM Logger are posted on my
                                              >> website at:
                                              >>
                                              >> http://www3.telus.net/va7st/multi_sec.htm
                                              >>
                                              >> I've tested it and haven't broken N1MM Logger (so far). You won't
                                              >>
                                              > get
                                              >
                                              >> a real score using this, but you will be able to work stations in
                                              >>
                                              > all
                                              >
                                              >> three QSO parties without swapping logs to keep track of who's a
                                              >>
                                              > mult
                                              >
                                              >> and who isn't.
                                              >>
                                              >> As always, your mileage may vary. Good luck and have a ton of fun
                                              >>
                                              > this
                                              >
                                              >> weekend!
                                              >>
                                              >> -- Bud, VA7ST

                                            • Rex K7QQ
                                              Message 22 of 30 , May 4, 2008
                                                ((( It appears that the codes for
                                                states outside of INQP 7QP, and NEQP, who are asking for contacts are
                                                not recognized as legitimate contacts. )))

                                                Strange, I had 980 Plus Q's and most did recognize as valid contacts. Some problems with INQP and NEQP entries but was Post contest able to EDIT them.

                                                Having a problem with 7QP contacts on county lines, 1 shows good and #2 shows Zero points, by the rules both are good for mult and QSO credit. Will let the guru's figure it out.

                                                Had to take off 1 an1/2 hour for XYL stuff

                                                Quack

                                              • Dave Hachadorian
                                                Message 23 of 30 , May 4, 2008
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , May 4, 2008
                                                    Tnx Dave

                                                    I did go in and change several to /M and the point change took place.

                                                    Sure was hard to get guys to check 15 M and it was open most of the
                                                    morning, Maybe only HP beam's ??

                                                    Many big sigs here to AZ, MT,MN, PA

                                                    Quack

                                                    Dave Hachadorian wrote:
> [...]

                                                  • Steve Harrison
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , May 4, 2008
                                                      At 05:02 PM 5/4/2008, you wrote:
                                                      >((( It appears that the codes for
                                                      >states outside of INQP 7QP, and NEQP, who are asking for contacts are
                                                      >not recognized as legitimate contacts. )))
                                                      >
                                                      >Strange, I had 980 Plus Q's and most did recognize as valid contacts.
                                                      Some problems with INQP and NEQP entries but was Post contest able to EDIT
                                                      them.

                                                      ....... A really good argument AGAINST being forced to submit logs
                                                      immediately after a contest. There are exceptions, though, such as when it
                                                      is absolutely, positively KNOWN for a fact that the logging software is
                                                      working properly and there's no chance of a malformed Cabrillo log once the
                                                      contest is over.

                                                      Steve, K0XP