Re: [N1MM] SQL Wizard needed.

  • Brian Moran
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
      did you find ur wizard? just back fr vacation...
      --- Tom Wagner <tfwagner@...> wrote:
      > I need three queries written. Any volunteers?
      > Each of the queries is against DXLOG in the
      > ham.mdb database. You'll need Access 2000
      > to do this task.
      >
      > Query 1: Determine the highest qso rate for a
      > single minute during a contest (e.g. where contestnr
      > = 51)
      >
      > Query 2: Determine the highest qso rate for a
      > single 10 minute period during a single contest. The
      >
      > period can start on any minute, not just those
      > evenly
      > divisible by 10.
      >
      > Query 3: Determine the highest qso rate for a
      > full hour during a single contest. The hour can
      > start
      > on any minute, not just the start of an hour.
      >
      > All I need is the sql. I will integrate into the
      > logging program.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Tom Wagner - N1MM

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • Tom Wagner
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
        Yes, in fact I found two. Unfortunately, there
        doesn't seem to be an efficient way to solve this
        problem in sql alone. I ended up using two
        cursors and doing it in code.

        I'll probably have other sql puzzles to solve, so
        keep watching.... ;-)

        73,
        Tom
        > did you find ur wizard? just back fr vacation...
        > --- Tom Wagner <tfwagner@...> wrote:
        > > I need three queries written. Any volunteers?
        > > Each of the queries is against DXLOG in the
        > > ham.mdb database. You'll need Access 2000
        > > to do this task.
        > >
        > > Query 1: Determine the highest qso rate for a
        > > single minute during a contest (e.g. where contestnr
        > > = 51)
        > >
        > > Query 2: Determine the highest qso rate for a
        > > single 10 minute period during a single contest. The
        > >
        > > period can start on any minute, not just those
        > > evenly
        > > divisible by 10.
        > >
        > > Query 3: Determine the highest qso rate for a
        > > full hour during a single contest. The hour can
        > > start
        > > on any minute, not just the start of an hour.
        > >
        > > All I need is the sql. I will integrate into the
        > > logging program.
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > >
        > > Tom Wagner - N1MM

      • Brian Moran
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
          That "sliding window" problem is an interesting one,
          comes up in different ways with energies, vectors,
          etc...

          --- Tom Wagner <tfwagner@...> wrote:
          > Yes, in fact I found two. Unfortunately, there
          > doesn't seem to be an efficient way to solve this
          > problem in sql alone. I ended up using two
          > cursors and doing it in code.
          >
          > I'll probably have other sql puzzles to solve, so
          > keep watching.... ;-)
          >
          > 73,
          > Tom

          http://finance.yahoo.com
        • Tom Wagner
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
            It may, but the Jet engine didn't like joining a 2400
            row resultset to itself with embedded date logic.
            It took a minute on my minimum (PII 233MHz)
            machine to process one of the queries.

            The cursor version runs in about 1200 milliseconds
            per.

            If the task had not been a sliding one, sql would
            have been the answer.

            73,
            Tom