RE: [N1MM] DVK make me crazy !!

  • Franck
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
      Hi,

      I'm using an ICom 737, but it's not really the problem, because I don't use
      DVK with TX !!
      Anyway, for more informations, here is the configuration:

      My transceiver is an ICOM737
      The CAT control is on the COM1.... All is working fine...
      The COM4 is use for CW typing... All is working also fine...
      The COM5 is the PTT switch for Digital modes and DVK (I repeat DVK is in
      fact only a WAV sound, sent from the sound card to microphone entry, and
      The transceiver switch in TRANSMIT mode because of COM5 commutation)

      This complete way of work is working fine in Logger32, my logbook software.
      I want to use N1MM for contests, because Logger32 is not really to run in
      contest mode.

      So with the same COM Ports, the same Wiring, the same computer...etc
      I should be able to do the same with N1MM than with Logger32...

      The only problem is when I want to use a Macro SSB (F1 for example: using
      file cq.wav), I didn't found how my COM5 switch the PTT on ! I tried ALL
      Possible configurations between DTR and RTS and nothing is working like it
      should....

      CAT control and CW keying is ok !
      Only missing (important function for contests.hi,hi,hi) is the DVK (Digital
      Voice Keyer) without any special material, only using sound card of computer
      and a small hardware interface (homemade, but simply using transistor and
      relay)...

      Any more info or idea ?

      Franck F8ADY

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
        What settings do you have on the Audio tab in the configurer?
        Can you play your cq.wav file through the computer speakers?

        I'm using an ICom 737, but it's not really the problem, because I don't use
        DVK with TX !!
        Anyway, for more informations, here is the configuration:

        My transceiver is an ICOM737
        The CAT control is on the COM1.... All is working fine...
        The COM4 is use for CW typing... All is working also fine...
        The COM5 is the PTT switch for Digital modes and DVK (I repeat DVK is in
        fact only a WAV sound, sent from the sound card to microphone entry, and
        The transceiver switch in TRANSMIT mode because of COM5 commutation)

        This complete way of work is working fine in Logger32, my logbook software.
        I want to use N1MM for contests, because Logger32 is not really to run in
        contest mode.

        So with the same COM Ports, the same Wiring, the same computer...etc
        I should be able to do the same with N1MM than with Logger32...

        The only problem is when I want to use a Macro SSB (F1 for example: using
        file cq.wav), I didn't found how my COM5 switch the PTT on ! I tried ALL
        Possible configurations between DTR and RTS and nothing is working like it
        should....

        CAT control and CW keying is ok !
        Only missing (important function for contests.hi,hi,hi) is the DVK (Digital
        Voice Keyer) without any special material, only using sound card of computer
        and a small hardware interface (homemade, but simply using transistor and
        relay)...

        Any more info or idea ?

        Franck F8ADY

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • Franck
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
          Hello Ted, tnx for help...

          Settings for Audio are :
          1-Zero single card...etc
          Select device : "Realtek HD Audio output"
          Select input line : NOTHING
          Select Line to mute : NOTHING
          Recording bits : 24
          Recording sample rate : 44100 (Anyway, I won't record anything from
          here...)
          Radio input port : NOTHING

          I want to make you notice that in Digital mode all is OK !!
          I'm using the same COM Port and audio card !!

          In configuration, hardware section ,
          My COM5 is checked for 'Digital' and 'CW/others'
          The parameters are
          DTR : PTT
          RTS : Always off
          Radio/Vfo : 1
          PTT Delay : 100
          Allow ext interrups : CHECKED
          winkey : UNCHECKED
          MK2R : UNCHECKED
          Footswitch : NONE
          CW/PTT Port Adress : 2F0

          In SSB Mode, if I click on F1 function key (wav\{operator}\cq.wav) nothing
          happen !! No error message... Only the work "RUNNING" Light in blue light
          during 1 seconde... No hear sound, the transceiver stay in RECEIVE mode...

          And I repeat, in digimodes, using this COM, all is fine :-(

          I read all notices I found on the net for 3 days, and don't found
          anything...

          Tnx in advanced for help...

          Franck F8ADY

        • Joe Subich, W4TV
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
            RealTek is a significant problem with N1MM Logger since it
            has separate mixers for input and output. The ONLY way to
            make RealTek work is to make it the "default" card in Windows
            and set N1MM Logger's Audio tab to "Default"

            73,

            ... Joe, W4TV

          • Franck
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
              Hello,

              I tried to change to "default", but it's exactly the same...
              And I repeat, this configuration is working fine with same COM Port, in
              digimodes... why not in SSB ??

              Franck F8ADY

            • Steve London
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
                Let's back up a few steps...

                I have Select Device set to "Realtek HD Audio Output". Select Input Line is
                blank. Select Line to Mute is "Mic Volume".

                Are you sure you have a pre-recorded wav file in Program Files\N1MM
                Logger\wav\F8ADY\cq.wav ? You should be able to play that cq.wav file through
                Windows Sound Recorder.

                If that works, what happens if you simply use VOX, instead of PTT to control you
                radio ? In your sound controls, do you have Master Volume turned up ? "Mute
                all" should not be checked.

                Let's get audio out of N1MM, into your radio, first. After that, we can work on
                the PTT issue.

                73,
                Steve, N2IC

              • Franck
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Hello,

                  >I have Select Device set to "Realtek HD Audio Output". Select Input Line is
                  >blank. Select Line to Mute is "Mic Volume".
                  >
                  >Are you sure you have a pre-recorded wav file in Program Files\N1MM
                  >Logger\wav\F8ADY\cq.wav ? You should be able to play that cq.wav file
                  >through Windows Sound Recorder.

                  Yes, when I run F1 function, I play correctly the sound in computer
                  speaker...

                  >If that works, what happens if you simply use VOX, instead of PTT to
                  >control you radio ?

                  I have to use PTT... My transceiver and Mike don't have VOX capacity.. :-)

                  >In your sound controls, do you have Master Volume turned up ?
                  >"Mute all" should not be checked.
                  >Let's get audio out of N1MM, into your radio, first. After that, we can
                  >work on
                  >the PTT issue.

                  It's ok for audio, but still not PTT !! :-(

                  I don't understand why same COM port used in digital modes is working fine !

                  73,

                  Franck F8ADY

                  >73,
                  >Steve, N2IC
                  >

                  >Franck wrote:
                  >> Hello,
                  >>
                  >> I tried to change to "default", but it's exactly the same...
                  >> And I repeat, this configuration is working fine with same COM Port, in
                  >> digimodes... why not in SSB ??
                  >>
                  >> Franck F8ADY

                • Steve London
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 4, 2008
                    Try changing your PTT to COM4, so it is the same as the CW port, which you also
                    have on COM4. Yes, you will have to do so rewiring.

                    73,
                    Steve, N2IC

                  • Franck
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 6, 2008
                      Hi Steve,

                      After many hours (should I tell DAYS ??), I finally would like to verify if
                      both com port work 100%... So like you purpose to me, I switched COM4 and
                      COM5 to see difference...
                      Incredible !! All is working fine Now !!!
                      So there is really a difference in N1MM, if using COM4 & COM5, because
                      switching these to ports, and their parameters in adware panel, I should
                      have one not working...
                      Tnx steve, the problem is no solved, but not the reason...
                      Perhaps someone of development team will be able to give more
                      informations...

                      73s, and tnx for help.

                      Franck