Re: [N1MM] Rotor offset problem

  • Randy Farmer
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
      I'm using it with a Rotor-EZ installed in a Ham IV. The offset
      feature does NOT work for me either. Regardless of what I put in the
      Offset field, it rotates to the computed heading and ignores the offset value.

      73...
      Randy, W8FN

      >Does anyone else use the rotor offset feature? If so, is it
      >working? If so, in what version, and are you using a similar config as I am?
      >
      >Any leads on fixing this problem would be appreciated.
      >
      >- Scott
      >
      >At 09:17 PM 2/29/2008, Scott Neader KA9FOX wrote:
      >
      > >I'm pretty sure I had this working before, but it seems busted right now:
      > >
      > >I have a rotatable dipole for 75/80m, which is 90 degrees offset
      > >(element is parallel to the boom of my yagi). In Config > Config
      > >Ports > Antennas I have the antenna for 80 set to:
      > >
      > >Rotor Port 1
      > >Offset 90
      > >Bidirect -1
      > >
      > >But it is not using the offset.
      > >
      > >I was using 7.12.1, but upgraded tonight to 7.12.14 with no change.
      > >
      > >Any suggestions on where to begin looking for the fix?
      > >
      > >- Scott KA9FOX
    • Scott Neader KA9FOX
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2008
        I found a Bug Report form on the web site, so I will submit this as a bug.

        http://pages.cthome.net/n1mm/BugReport.htm

        - Scott

        At 09:04 PM 3/1/2008, you wrote:

        >I'm using it with a Rotor-EZ installed in a Ham IV. The offset
        >feature does NOT work for me either. Regardless of what I put in the
        >Offset field, it rotates to the computed heading and ignores the offset value.
        >
        >73...
        >Randy, W8FN
        >
        > >Does anyone else use the rotor offset feature? If so, is it
        > >working? If so, in what version, and are you using a similar config as I am?
        > >
        > >Any leads on fixing this problem would be appreciated.
        > >
        > >- Scott
        > >
        > >At 09:17 PM 2/29/2008, Scott Neader KA9FOX wrote:
        > >
        > > >I'm pretty sure I had this working before, but it seems busted right now:
        > > >
        > > >I have a rotatable dipole for 75/80m, which is 90 degrees offset
        > > >(element is parallel to the boom of my yagi). In Config > Config
        > > >Ports > Antennas I have the antenna for 80 set to:
        > > >
        > > >Rotor Port 1
        > > >Offset 90
        > > >Bidirect -1
        > > >
        > > >But it is not using the offset.
        > > >
        > > >I was using 7.12.1, but upgraded tonight to 7.12.14 with no change.
        > > >
        > > >Any suggestions on where to begin looking for the fix?
        > > >
        > > >- Scott KA9FOX

      • Peter Dougherty
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 6, 2008
          This hasn't worked for me in a long time, as well. It did work last
          year (I think it was for CQWW-SSB), but not since. Not sure what
          version of Rotor I was using back then, but I'm using the current
          version now. I, too, have a 40m rotatable dipole offset by 90 degrees
          to my triband yagi and it's driving me nuts calculating -90 and +90
          headings in my noggin while making sure I have the split set
          correctly, etc.

          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Scott Neader KA9FOX <scott@...> wrote:

          > I found a Bug Report form on the web site, so I will submit this as
          a bug.

          > http://pages.cthome.net/n1mm/BugReport.htm
          >
          > - Scott
          >
          > At 09:04 PM 3/1/2008, you wrote:
          >
          > >I'm using it with a Rotor-EZ installed in a Ham IV. The offset
          > >feature does NOT work for me either. Regardless of what I put in the
          > >Offset field, it rotates to the computed heading and ignores the
          offset value.

          > >73...
          > >Randy, W8FN
          > >
          > > >Does anyone else use the rotor offset feature? If so, is it
          > > >working? If so, in what version, and are you using a similar
          config as I am?

          > > >Any leads on fixing this problem would be appreciated.
          > > >
          > > >- Scott

        • N1MM
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
            There seems to be a bug in the display of position, but not in the
            positioning of the antenna. Is that what both of you are seeing? (look
            at the rotor control itself)

            Tom - N1MM

            Scott Neader KA9FOX wrote:
            > I found a Bug Report form on the web site, so I will submit this as a bug.
            >
            > http://pages.cthome.net/n1mm/BugReport.htm
            >
            > - Scott
            >
            > At 09:04 PM 3/1/2008, you wrote:
            >

            >> I'm using it with a Rotor-EZ installed in a Ham IV. The offset
            >> feature does NOT work for me either. Regardless of what I put in the
            >> Offset field, it rotates to the computed heading and ignores the offset value.
            >>
            >> 73...
            >> Randy, W8FN
            >>

            >>> Does anyone else use the rotor offset feature? If so, is it
            >>> working? If so, in what version, and are you using a similar config as I am?
            >>>
            >>> Any leads on fixing this problem would be appreciated.
            >>>
            >>> - Scott

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
              I have used the offset for the last 3 weeks following gale force
              winds which turned my C19 by 80 degrees - The only problem I see is
              that if I close N1MM when I reopen it I have to reenter the offset as
              well as reposition the window which always opens on the left side of
              my screen and I want it on the right!!!

              I use v7.12.11 and Prosistel rotor

              Mike
              G3VAO

              --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, N1MM <tfwagner@...> wrote:

              > There seems to be a bug in the display of position, but not in the
              > positioning of the antenna. Is that what both of you are seeing?
              (look
              > at the rotor control itself)
              >
              > Tom - N1MM
              >
              > Scott Neader KA9FOX wrote:
              > > I found a Bug Report form on the web site, so I will submit this
              as a bug.

              > > http://pages.cthome.net/n1mm/BugReport.htm
              > >
              > > - Scott
              > >
              > > At 09:04 PM 3/1/2008, you wrote:
              > >

              > >> I'm using it with a Rotor-EZ installed in a Ham IV. The offset
              > >> feature does NOT work for me either. Regardless of what I put in
              the
              > >> Offset field, it rotates to the computed heading and ignores the
              offset value.

              > >> 73...
              > >> Randy, W8FN

              Config

            • N1MM
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
                Mike --

                If you want offset saved, enter it for all applicable antennas on the
                antenna tab in the main program configurer. Sending commands from the
                main program will then use the offset you specified.

                Saving of last position was lost during a recent fix to the rotor
                program. I restored that functionality in the next release.

                73,
                Tom

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
                  Thanks Tom
                  I will do that we are forecast another set of gales this weekend so
                  it may well get blown back again!!! either way I still have to bring
                  it all down to fix at some point in the future'

                • Scott Neader KA9FOX
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
                    Tom, you are correct!! I thought both the display and rotor were not
                    being offset. But I fired it up today to test, and indeed, the rotor
                    is offset, but the display is wrong.

                    I am using N1MM v7.12.14 with Rotor v6.11.28

                    Thank you for looking into this!!

                    - Scott KA9FOX

                    At 07:50 AM 3/8/2008, you wrote:

                    >There seems to be a bug in the display of position, but not in the
                    >positioning of the antenna. Is that what both of you are seeing? (look
                    >at the rotor control itself)
                    >
                    >Tom - N1MM
                    >
                    >Scott Neader KA9FOX wrote:
                    > > I found a Bug Report form on the web site, so I will submit this as a bug.
                    > >
                    > > http://pages.cthome.net/n1mm/BugReport.htm
                    > >
                    > > - Scott
                    > >
                    > > At 09:04 PM 3/1/2008, you wrote:
                    > >

                    > >> I'm using it with a Rotor-EZ installed in a Ham IV. The offset
                    > >> feature does NOT work for me either. Regardless of what I put in the
                    > >> Offset field, it rotates to the computed heading and ignores the
                    > offset value.
                    > >>
                    > >> 73...
                    > >> Randy, W8FN

                    > config as I am?

                    > right now:

                  • Randy Farmer
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
                      I finally got a few minutes to see what was going
                      on with the rotor control. I'm using one of the
                      Idiom Press Rotor-EZ boards to control a Ham IV on COM 1.

                      I first installed the latest update (V7.12.15)
                      and then began to check out the rotor behavior. I
                      start Logger from several different .ini files to
                      preserve setups for various contest
                      configurations, so I proceeded to systematically
                      check them out. I had missed the part about
                      defining antennas, so the first time I started
                      the program I went into the configurer and
                      defined Antenna 0 for all bands 20 through 6
                      meters with an offset of –70° (that's the amount
                      my SteppIR is off due to recent wind events). I
                      was surprised to find that this "stuck"
                      regardless of the .ini files loaded subsequently,
                      so apparently that information is stored elsewhere in the Logger program files.

                      For the most part, he rotor control program
                      appears to be operating correctly. Entering
                      various calls into the data entry window followed
                      by an Alt-J sent the antenna to the correct
                      physical bearing (i.e., the computed bearing
                      minus 70 degrees). This worked on either Radio A
                      or Radio B. The display in the rotor control window is correct.

                      However... When I checked my setup for VHF I
                      found a problem. I always run VHF stuff with
                      Radio B only, since my IC-746 is in the radio B
                      location and it's the only rig I have that can do
                      VHF. I used my setup from the last ARRL VHF
                      contest. For this contest, the beam heading
                      calculation appears to be based exclusively on
                      the information that appears in the Grid Square
                      location in the data entry window. I exercised
                      the rotor control by trying various grid square
                      entries and checking operation. I found that on
                      Radio B the rotor offset is NOT applied. The
                      rotor control routine always turns the antenna to
                      the computed heading as read back from the rotor
                      control box. Switching over to Radio A and trying
                      the same thing, I found the offset IS being
                      applied. So there's still something wrong in the
                      rotor control code for Radio B in at least the
                      ARRL VHF contest, or possibly any contests using Grid Square as the exchange.

                      We're close to having things working, but we're
                      still not quite there. Thanks for the work fixing
                      this (relatively minor) problem.

                      73...
                      Randy, W8FN

                    • N1MM
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
                        What I see is that vfo b is ignored in SO2V mode, but not a 2nd radio.
                        If you switch to SO2R and VFO A, then it should work. I'll have to think
                        about what should be happening with vfo b as the code where the apparent
                        error occurs is also used for antenna switching.

                        73,
                        Tom