Rotor offset problem

  • Scott Neader KA9FOX
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 29, 2008
      I'm pretty sure I had this working before, but it seems busted right now:

      I have a rotatable dipole for 75/80m, which is 90 degrees offset
      (element is parallel to the boom of my yagi). In Config > Config
      Ports > Antennas I have the antenna for 80 set to:

      Rotor Port 1
      Offset 90
      Bidirect -1

      But it is not using the offset.

      I was using 7.12.1, but upgraded tonight to 7.12.14 with no change.

      Any suggestions on where to begin looking for the fix?

      - Scott KA9FOX
    • Scott Neader KA9FOX
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
        Does anyone else use the rotor offset feature? If so, is it
        working? If so, in what version, and are you using a similar config as I am?

        Any leads on fixing this problem would be appreciated.

        - Scott

        At 09:17 PM 2/29/2008, Scott Neader KA9FOX wrote:

        >I'm pretty sure I had this working before, but it seems busted right now:
        >
        >I have a rotatable dipole for 75/80m, which is 90 degrees offset
        >(element is parallel to the boom of my yagi). In Config > Config
        >Ports > Antennas I have the antenna for 80 set to:
        >
        >Rotor Port 1
        >Offset 90
        >Bidirect -1
        >
        >But it is not using the offset.
        >
        >I was using 7.12.1, but upgraded tonight to 7.12.14 with no change.
        >
        >Any suggestions on where to begin looking for the fix?
        >
        >- Scott KA9FOX
      • Randy Farmer
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
          I'm using it with a Rotor-EZ installed in a Ham IV. The offset
          feature does NOT work for me either. Regardless of what I put in the
          Offset field, it rotates to the computed heading and ignores the offset value.

          73...
          Randy, W8FN

          >Does anyone else use the rotor offset feature? If so, is it
          >working? If so, in what version, and are you using a similar config as I am?
          >
          >Any leads on fixing this problem would be appreciated.
          >
          >- Scott
          >
          >At 09:17 PM 2/29/2008, Scott Neader KA9FOX wrote:
          >
          > >I'm pretty sure I had this working before, but it seems busted right now:
          > >
          > >I have a rotatable dipole for 75/80m, which is 90 degrees offset
          > >(element is parallel to the boom of my yagi). In Config > Config
          > >Ports > Antennas I have the antenna for 80 set to:
          > >
          > >Rotor Port 1
          > >Offset 90
          > >Bidirect -1
          > >
          > >But it is not using the offset.
          > >
          > >I was using 7.12.1, but upgraded tonight to 7.12.14 with no change.
          > >
          > >Any suggestions on where to begin looking for the fix?
          > >
          > >- Scott KA9FOX
        • Scott Neader KA9FOX
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 5, 2008
            I found a Bug Report form on the web site, so I will submit this as a bug.

            http://pages.cthome.net/n1mm/BugReport.htm

            - Scott

            At 09:04 PM 3/1/2008, you wrote:

            >I'm using it with a Rotor-EZ installed in a Ham IV. The offset
            >feature does NOT work for me either. Regardless of what I put in the
            >Offset field, it rotates to the computed heading and ignores the offset value.
            >
            >73...
            >Randy, W8FN
            >
            > >Does anyone else use the rotor offset feature? If so, is it
            > >working? If so, in what version, and are you using a similar config as I am?
            > >
            > >Any leads on fixing this problem would be appreciated.
            > >
            > >- Scott
            > >
            > >At 09:17 PM 2/29/2008, Scott Neader KA9FOX wrote:
            > >
            > > >I'm pretty sure I had this working before, but it seems busted right now:
            > > >
            > > >I have a rotatable dipole for 75/80m, which is 90 degrees offset
            > > >(element is parallel to the boom of my yagi). In Config > Config
            > > >Ports > Antennas I have the antenna for 80 set to:
            > > >
            > > >Rotor Port 1
            > > >Offset 90
            > > >Bidirect -1
            > > >
            > > >But it is not using the offset.
            > > >
            > > >I was using 7.12.1, but upgraded tonight to 7.12.14 with no change.
            > > >
            > > >Any suggestions on where to begin looking for the fix?
            > > >
            > > >- Scott KA9FOX

          • Peter Dougherty
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6, 2008
              This hasn't worked for me in a long time, as well. It did work last
              year (I think it was for CQWW-SSB), but not since. Not sure what
              version of Rotor I was using back then, but I'm using the current
              version now. I, too, have a 40m rotatable dipole offset by 90 degrees
              to my triband yagi and it's driving me nuts calculating -90 and +90
              headings in my noggin while making sure I have the split set
              correctly, etc.

              --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Scott Neader KA9FOX <scott@...> wrote:

              > I found a Bug Report form on the web site, so I will submit this as
              a bug.

              > http://pages.cthome.net/n1mm/BugReport.htm
              >
              > - Scott
              >
              > At 09:04 PM 3/1/2008, you wrote:
              >
              > >I'm using it with a Rotor-EZ installed in a Ham IV. The offset
              > >feature does NOT work for me either. Regardless of what I put in the
              > >Offset field, it rotates to the computed heading and ignores the
              offset value.

              > >73...
              > >Randy, W8FN
              > >
              > > >Does anyone else use the rotor offset feature? If so, is it
              > > >working? If so, in what version, and are you using a similar
              config as I am?

              > > >Any leads on fixing this problem would be appreciated.
              > > >
              > > >- Scott

            • N1MM
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
                There seems to be a bug in the display of position, but not in the
                positioning of the antenna. Is that what both of you are seeing? (look
                at the rotor control itself)

                Tom - N1MM

                Scott Neader KA9FOX wrote:
                > I found a Bug Report form on the web site, so I will submit this as a bug.
                >
                > http://pages.cthome.net/n1mm/BugReport.htm
                >
                > - Scott
                >
                > At 09:04 PM 3/1/2008, you wrote:
                >

                >> I'm using it with a Rotor-EZ installed in a Ham IV. The offset
                >> feature does NOT work for me either. Regardless of what I put in the
                >> Offset field, it rotates to the computed heading and ignores the offset value.
                >>
                >> 73...
                >> Randy, W8FN
                >>

                >>> Does anyone else use the rotor offset feature? If so, is it
                >>> working? If so, in what version, and are you using a similar config as I am?
                >>>
                >>> Any leads on fixing this problem would be appreciated.
                >>>
                >>> - Scott

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
                  I have used the offset for the last 3 weeks following gale force
                  winds which turned my C19 by 80 degrees - The only problem I see is
                  that if I close N1MM when I reopen it I have to reenter the offset as
                  well as reposition the window which always opens on the left side of
                  my screen and I want it on the right!!!

                  I use v7.12.11 and Prosistel rotor

                  Mike
                  G3VAO

                  --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, N1MM <tfwagner@...> wrote:

                  > There seems to be a bug in the display of position, but not in the
                  > positioning of the antenna. Is that what both of you are seeing?
                  (look
                  > at the rotor control itself)
                  >
                  > Tom - N1MM
                  >
                  > Scott Neader KA9FOX wrote:
                  > > I found a Bug Report form on the web site, so I will submit this
                  as a bug.

                  > > http://pages.cthome.net/n1mm/BugReport.htm
                  > >
                  > > - Scott
                  > >
                  > > At 09:04 PM 3/1/2008, you wrote:
                  > >

                  > >> I'm using it with a Rotor-EZ installed in a Ham IV. The offset
                  > >> feature does NOT work for me either. Regardless of what I put in
                  the
                  > >> Offset field, it rotates to the computed heading and ignores the
                  offset value.

                  > >> 73...
                  > >> Randy, W8FN

                  Config

                • N1MM
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
                    Mike --

                    If you want offset saved, enter it for all applicable antennas on the
                    antenna tab in the main program configurer. Sending commands from the
                    main program will then use the offset you specified.

                    Saving of last position was lost during a recent fix to the rotor
                    program. I restored that functionality in the next release.

                    73,
                    Tom

                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
                      Thanks Tom
                      I will do that we are forecast another set of gales this weekend so
                      it may well get blown back again!!! either way I still have to bring
                      it all down to fix at some point in the future'

                    • Scott Neader KA9FOX
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
                        Tom, you are correct!! I thought both the display and rotor were not
                        being offset. But I fired it up today to test, and indeed, the rotor
                        is offset, but the display is wrong.

                        I am using N1MM v7.12.14 with Rotor v6.11.28

                        Thank you for looking into this!!

                        - Scott KA9FOX

                        At 07:50 AM 3/8/2008, you wrote:

                        >There seems to be a bug in the display of position, but not in the
                        >positioning of the antenna. Is that what both of you are seeing? (look
                        >at the rotor control itself)
                        >
                        >Tom - N1MM
                        >
                        >Scott Neader KA9FOX wrote:
                        > > I found a Bug Report form on the web site, so I will submit this as a bug.
                        > >
                        > > http://pages.cthome.net/n1mm/BugReport.htm
                        > >
                        > > - Scott
                        > >
                        > > At 09:04 PM 3/1/2008, you wrote:
                        > >

                        > >> I'm using it with a Rotor-EZ installed in a Ham IV. The offset
                        > >> feature does NOT work for me either. Regardless of what I put in the
                        > >> Offset field, it rotates to the computed heading and ignores the
                        > offset value.
                        > >>
                        > >> 73...
                        > >> Randy, W8FN

                        > config as I am?

                        > right now:

                      • Randy Farmer
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
                          I finally got a few minutes to see what was going
                          on with the rotor control. I'm using one of the
                          Idiom Press Rotor-EZ boards to control a Ham IV on COM 1.

                          I first installed the latest update (V7.12.15)
                          and then began to check out the rotor behavior. I
                          start Logger from several different .ini files to
                          preserve setups for various contest
                          configurations, so I proceeded to systematically
                          check them out. I had missed the part about
                          defining antennas, so the first time I started
                          the program I went into the configurer and
                          defined Antenna 0 for all bands 20 through 6
                          meters with an offset of –70° (that's the amount
                          my SteppIR is off due to recent wind events). I
                          was surprised to find that this "stuck"
                          regardless of the .ini files loaded subsequently,
                          so apparently that information is stored elsewhere in the Logger program files.

                          For the most part, he rotor control program
                          appears to be operating correctly. Entering
                          various calls into the data entry window followed
                          by an Alt-J sent the antenna to the correct
                          physical bearing (i.e., the computed bearing
                          minus 70 degrees). This worked on either Radio A
                          or Radio B. The display in the rotor control window is correct.

                          However... When I checked my setup for VHF I
                          found a problem. I always run VHF stuff with
                          Radio B only, since my IC-746 is in the radio B
                          location and it's the only rig I have that can do
                          VHF. I used my setup from the last ARRL VHF
                          contest. For this contest, the beam heading
                          calculation appears to be based exclusively on
                          the information that appears in the Grid Square
                          location in the data entry window. I exercised
                          the rotor control by trying various grid square
                          entries and checking operation. I found that on
                          Radio B the rotor offset is NOT applied. The
                          rotor control routine always turns the antenna to
                          the computed heading as read back from the rotor
                          control box. Switching over to Radio A and trying
                          the same thing, I found the offset IS being
                          applied. So there's still something wrong in the
                          rotor control code for Radio B in at least the
                          ARRL VHF contest, or possibly any contests using Grid Square as the exchange.

                          We're close to having things working, but we're
                          still not quite there. Thanks for the work fixing
                          this (relatively minor) problem.

                          73...
                          Randy, W8FN

                        • N1MM
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
                            What I see is that vfo b is ignored in SO2V mode, but not a 2nd radio.
                            If you switch to SO2R and VFO A, then it should work. I'll have to think
                            about what should be happening with vfo b as the code where the apparent
                            error occurs is also used for antenna switching.

                            73,
                            Tom