RE: [N1MM] CW Skimmer

  • David Robbins K1TTT
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
      But how soon until its integrated into the logger???

      David Robbins K1TTT
      e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
      web: http://www.k1ttt.net

    • Bob Finger
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
        David Robbins K1TTT wrote:

        > But how soon until its integrated into the logger???
        >
        > <telnet://dxc.k1ttt.net>
        >

        > .
        > Hopefully never. There are some things better done with ones brain
        > and ears. Copying cw is one of them IMO. 73 bob de w9ge
      • Dick-w0raa
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
          I agree with you, Bob. If you can't copy CW without that, you have no business in a CW contest.

          Dick
          W0RAA

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
            I have just uploaded an article to the files section of this group,
            describing CW Skimmer and suggesting various applications that might
            develop. It is in PDF format and includes screenshots.

            73, Pete N4ZR
          • W0MU Mike Fatchett
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
              Wow.....I will have to try this.

              The software advance in the recent past are really quite amazing.
              Copying cw to incredibly weak signal work with Satellites and Moon bounce.

              I wonder how it holds up in contest type congestion and qrm.

              To the guy who wrote about never integrating it into N1MM.........Nobody
              is forcing you to use it. Would you not want more people to call you?
              Some people like my grandfather had hearing loss that made copying cw
              nearly impossible yet he tried and tried to get his extra. Most hams are
              not conversationally proficient in code, myself included, that would be
              more willing to jump into cw with a bit of help.

              3Khz of signal is quite a large area for CW. It would be really cool to
              watch what others are doing around you, or not so much for us in the
              west while the east coast works all the juicy EU Mults that we can't hear.

              I guess will will need another class. SO CW assisted? I can't wait
              for the debate to begin.

              Pete Smith wrote:
              > Try it - you'll be blown away. I have been running one with a SoftRock
              > single band software-defined rx for a month as a tester, and I know Alex
              > has been working on it for several years. You get a decent amount of time
              > to try it before you have to make the decision whether to register or not.
              >
              > My first tests were done just using my transceiver in 3 KHz mode (wide
              > filter), and impressed me enough to write an article for EHam, which has
              > been submitted and I hope will appear shortly.
              >
              > 73, Pete N4ZR
              >
              > At 02:07 PM 2/2/2008, Richard HIll wrote:
              >> The $75 price made me wince. Anyone use it?
              >>
              >> Rich
              >> NU6T

            • Peter Dougherty
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
                --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Dick-w0raa" <w0raa@...> wrote:

                > I agree with you, Bob. If you can't copy CW without that, you have
                no business in a CW contest.

                So you'd just rather not have the extra Q's and Mults from those
                stations who'd otherwise not participate in the contest? I'll take my
                points from anywhere I can get 'em.

                My own CW skills are pretty bad in copying DX calls at 35 WPM for 48
                hours and I'd wager I'm not alone in this. Just so long as you enter
                "assisted" I think this is a Good Thing for contesting as a whole and
                I'd love to see it integrated with N1MM. If it helps keep 5% of
                operators fresh and on the air longer, I'll gladly take that 5% boost,
                regardless if I'm using it or not!