Call History File

  • Art Burke
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 17, 2007
      I've been pulling my hair out the last couple of days trying to get
      this file properly created. No such luck. I thought I had one created
      for SweepStakes, but that one doesn't work either. Every time I try to
      open the file, I get a "type mismatch" error from N1MM.

      Could some kind soul please extract about half a dozen lines from
      their Sweepstakes call history file and send it to me, please?

      aburkefl at comcast dot net

      I used to create files like this for programs in the past and the
      commas didn't drive me crazy. Just can't figure out what I'm doing
      wrong.

      Art - N4PJ
    • Dennis Egan
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 11, 2009
        I have developed and used a Call History File in the last several contests
        that I've done, i.e. ARRL RTTY Roundup and NAQP CW. Despite comments
        elsewhere, both contests worked FB with the state in the #6 data position.

        My desire to get a working file was not to provide any advantage in the
        contest, but to save my arthritic fingers from all that typing!!

        So far, I've updated the CHF with the Grid Squares from the last 2 Stew
        Perry contests, states from the recent NCJ from last year's fall NAQP CW and
        SSB tests, and FOC members. I find that updating the CHF from the program
        log is of limited use; otherwise, a lot of guys will now be named "BOB" or
        "VAL" based on the log from yesterday's contest.

        I find that the CHF works great, but updating it is a pain.

        Dennis W1UE

      • WW3S
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 11, 2009
          Val was a tribute to W8KIC, who recently died of pancreatic cnacer....The
          North Coast Contesters and Mad River guys were on using his name....

          On 1/11/2009 8:05:59 AM, Dennis Egan (egan.dennis88@...) wrote:
          > I have developed and used a Call History File in the last several
          > contests
          > that
          > I've done, i.e. ARRL RTTY Roundup and NAQP CW. Despite comments
          > elsewhere, both contests worked FB with the state in the #6 data position.
          >
          > My desire to get a working file was not to provide any advantage in the
          > contest, but to save my arthritic fingers from all that typing!!
          >
          > So far, I've
          > updated the CHF with the Grid Squares from the last 2 Stew
          > Perry contests, states from the recent NCJ from last
          > year's fall NAQP CW and
          > SSB tests, and FOC members. I find that updating the CHF from the program
          > log is of limited use; otherwise, a lot of guys will now be named "BOB" or
          > "VAL" based on the log from yesterday's
          > contest.
          >
          > I find that the CHF works great, but updating it is a pain.
          >
          > Dennis W1UE

        • Richard Ferch
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 11, 2009
            I'll be doggoned! You're right, Dennis, and many thanks. I apologize
            to all for spreading misinformation.

            I missed that fix. I've been unnecessarily maintaining two parallel
            call history files since then.

            I agree with you on updating directly from the log - half the names
            would be changed to either DAN or VAL after the last one. So what I
            do is import my Cabrillo logs into Excel, sort by call sign, and then
            update my CHF by hand (my CHF is also sorted by call sign). I include
            data from pretty much any North American contest I enter that has
            either name, state/province or ARRL section in the exchange.

            73,
            Rich VE3KI

            --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Egan" <egan.dennis88@...>
            wrote:

            > I have developed and used a Call History File in the last several
            contests
            > that I've done, i.e. ARRL RTTY Roundup and NAQP CW. Despite
            comments
            > elsewhere, both contests worked FB with the state in the #6 data
            position.

            > My desire to get a working file was not to provide any advantage in
            the
            > contest, but to save my arthritic fingers from all that typing!!
            >
            > So far, I've updated the CHF with the Grid Squares from the last 2
            Stew
            > Perry contests, states from the recent NCJ from last year's fall
            NAQP CW and
            > SSB tests, and FOC members. I find that updating the CHF from the
            program
            > log is of limited use; otherwise, a lot of guys will now be
            named "BOB" or
            > "VAL" based on the log from yesterday's contest.
            >
            > I find that the CHF works great, but updating it is a pain.
            >
            > Dennis W1UE

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 9, 2009
              Does anyone know if there is a limit to the size of a call history
              file. I currently have a diferent Call History file for each contest
              that I play in - as the same call appears in many contests the
              updateing is becoming a nightmare and I wonder if it is possible to
              just use 1 file?

              Mike
              G3VAO
            • Rob - G4LMW
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 9, 2009
                Hi Mike

                I have all mine in one table (which I named "CallHist_Master") with an extra
                field for the contest name. This is held in a separate database. I then have
                a query that replaces the "CallHist" table with whichever contest I choose.
                There will not be a limit to the table size of either table. However, I
                would expect to see a slow-down in the speed in which N1MM retrieves the
                info if the "CallHist" table gets too large. Because the info needed from
                one contest to another might be different (e.g. in ROPOCO you might want my
                PostCode in one of the fields but for WAB you will want my WAB square), this
                necessitates having the same calls listed several times. Hence my master
                file with one entry for each contest.

                This does require a level of understanding of MS Access and unless you know
                what you are up to, it can mess up your N1MM functionality - so be warned!

                Hope this helps.

                If you need any other help, contact me off-list

                73, Rob
                G4LMW
                http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

                > Does anyone know if there is a limit to the size of a call history
                > file. I currently have a diferent Call History file for each contest
                > that I play in - as the same call appears in many contests the
                > updateing is becoming a nightmare and I wonder if it is possible to
                > just use 1 file?
                >

                > Mike
                > G3VAO

                13:39:00
              • Dennis Egan
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 9, 2009
                  Mike

                  I have over 30000 calls in my CHF. Using a number of computers, ranging
                  from a 3400 Athlon to a 1.6GHz Celeron, there is no discernible difference
                  in program performance as compared to a CHF with 2000 calls.

                  Dennis W1UE

                  On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 1:35 AM, Mike <G3VAO@...> wrote:
                  > Does anyone know if there is a limit to the size of a call history
                  > file. I currently have a diferent Call History file for each contest
                  > that I play in - as the same call appears in many contests the
                  > updateing is becoming a nightmare and I wonder if it is possible to
                  > just use 1 file?
                  >
                  > Mike
                  > G3VAO

                • Art Searle W2NRA
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 9, 2009
                    Hi Mike,

                    I have just started using the call history program, Thucydides, from the
                    N1MM Logger Other files page. From my experimentations (guys please let me
                    know if I've got this wrong), if you want your call history file to pre-fill
                    data for you during contests you have to create a call history file for that
                    contest. Using this software you can take an existing history file and add
                    your N1MM Logger log file (one contest at a time) to create a master. Then
                    use that master for custom call history files for supported contests. After
                    each contest it is easy to add that contest to you master.

                    73 Art W2NRA
                    "Keep to the Code!"
                    w2nra.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 9, 2009
                      A few of comments on Call History:

                      First, there's no practical limit to the size of a call history file.
                      Sort of like the question of how big a log can one have. If one had an
                      immensely huge call history file and a very slow processor there will be
                      a performance hit but that has been a theoretical scenario so far. There
                      have been been no reported issues with using history files containing
                      35k calls and semi-current processor speeds.

                      Second, there is only one call history table per database, not one per
                      log. So if you keep multiple contests in a common database then you do
                      need to remember to re-import any contest customized databases when
                      changing contests.

                      Third, there are situations where history files customized for
                      particular contests are necessary because of how certain contests have
                      been implemented. At present some contests do not expect certain fields
                      will contain data unless it is a multiplier in that contest. Normally
                      this doesn't affect pre-fill but it does confuse the detection of
                      multipliers in spots.

                      Putting on my hat as one of the developers, an area in which I've been
                      working is eliminating the incompatibilities that prevent use of a
                      common Call History file in all contests. This is still very much a work
                      in progress so please do report inconsistencies you discover in how Call
                      History data gets used across different contests.

                      Lastly, enabling call history turns it on for all contests. However, the
                      call history lookup and pre-fill for the political "subdivsion" fields
                      (State and Section), which are used for state, province, oblast,
                      Section, department... in various contests, is implemented on a
                      contest-by-contest basis.

                      Requests to activate Call History lookup in your favorite contests
                      should be done as a feature request using the form on the website so the
                      developers can keep track which contests there is demand for this
                      feature. Eventually all contests which have a ".sec" file for "local"
                      multipliers should get call history pre-fill turned on. But that's
                      another work in progress.

                      73,
                      Mike K1MK

                      On 2/9/2009 4:35 AM, Mike wrote:
                      > Does anyone know if there is a limit to the size of a call history
                      > file. I currently have a diferent Call History file for each contest
                      > that I play in - as the same call appears in many contests the
                      > updateing is becoming a nightmare and I wonder if it is possible to
                      > just use 1 file?
                      >

                      > Mike
                      > G3VAO
                    • dwhaft
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 4, 2010
                        I upgraded to 10.2.0 this past weekend. Tonight I worked the NS Sprint. I imported the call history file I've been using for this contest and settled in. I noticed that the State was not being imported from the call history file. Name was fine, but no State info. Did something change in V10 re the call history file?

                        Thanks.
                      • John Bednar
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
                          Doug,

                          The development team documents the code that has been touched in every release. Did you see a call history comment in the release notes since your last upgrade?

                          John, K3CT

                          On Feb 5, 2010, dwhaft <doug.haft@...> wrote:

                          I upgraded to 10.2.0 this past weekend. Tonight I worked the NS Sprint. I imported the call history file I've been using for this contest and settled in. I noticed that the State was not being imported from the call history file. Name was fine, but no State info. Did something change in V10 re the call history file?

                          Thanks.

                        • Gil rojomn Charter
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
                            Quote form K1TTT
                            "
                            I agree that the logger needs to allow selection of separate devices for
                            record and playback. That is not my part of the program, you MUST take that
                            up with N1MM himself or the rest of the programming team, I only provide the
                            ocx. I wrote the test app to show N1MM how to use the ocx and have released
                            it to others that need help troubleshooting.

                            "

                            So is the programming team going to fix this?

                            Gil Rochester ,MN W0MN
                            ICC and twitter WzeroMN
                            44.082036N 92.513219W 1060'

                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
                              Doug,

                              Look at your call history file. The state (SEC field in the Entry window)
                              should be in the 5th data element position (W4NZ,TED,,,TN) in the calll
                              history file to be picked up for the Sprint. I saw no change here between
                              v9.12.8 and v10.2.1.

                              Thanks for the NS QSO last night.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
                                Sorry that last post had wrong subject. I thought it worthy of a repeat post
                                since this is a request to correct a design defect.

                                Gil Rochester ,MN W0MN
                                ICC and twitter WzeroMN
                                44.082036N 92.513219W 1060'

                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
                                  Found this issue to be the import/export mapping spreadsheet in thucydides.
                                  I had been using a manually created call history file and switched to
                                  thucydides earlier this week. Just so happened I upgraded N1MM as well.
                                  Never good to change more than one thing at a time!!!

                                  73, Doug
                                  KY4F

                                • Doug Haft
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 6, 2010
                                    GM Carel,

                                    I edited the mapping_<date>.xls file to solve the problem. Specifically,
                                    for the SPRINT contests I moved "data5" from "field6" to "field5" on both
                                    the ImportMapping and the ExportMapping worksheets. I then re-imported my
                                    N1MM database and created the new history file for the SPRINT contest. In
                                    the end, the mapping for SPRINT now matches exactly the mapping for NAQP
                                    both on the import and export worksheets.

                                    Hope this helps.

                                    73, Doug
                                    KY4F

                                  • pc5m, Carel
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 6, 2010
                                      Thanks Doug,

                                      I will change it in the mapping file which accompanied Thucydides at the
                                      diverse locations (n1mm website, my website, etc).
                                      If you find more anomalies, feel free to change it in the mapping and let me
                                      know : - ).

                                      gl, Carel

                                      I edited the mapping_<date>.xls file to solve the problem. Specifically,
                                      for the SPRINT contests I moved "data5" from "field6" to "field5" on both
                                      the ImportMapping and the ExportMapping worksheets. I then re-imported my
                                      N1MM database and created the new history file for the SPRINT contest. In
                                      the end, the mapping for SPRINT now matches exactly the mapping for NAQP
                                      both on the import and export worksheets.

                                      Hope this helps.

                                      73, Doug
                                      KY4F

                                      _,_._,___

                                    • Bud Morin
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 1, 2012
                                        Hi,

                                        I downloaded call history file from the Arizona Outlaws site. It is a
                                        .csv file. When double clicked it opened up in Excel as a matrix. Can
                                        N!MM handle this as iw or should I change the extension to .txt?

                                        Thanks and 73,
                                        Bud Morin, K9ZT
                                      • Dave Hachadorian
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 1, 2012
                                          You can change the extension to .txt

                                          Or, you can leave it .csv, and when you click n1mm/import/call history change the little “files of type” pulldown window to “all files.”

                                          Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
                                          Yuma, AZ

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 11, 2012
                                            Hi,
                                            is there a possibility if I use contest "DX" for general logging to bring infos from the call history file into the Comment part from the Entry Window.
                                            Thanks for help and pls excuse my bad English.
                                            73, Al
                                          • John Bednar
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 11, 2012
                                              Al,

                                              The Comment field is not a call history field.

                                              What data do you want to populate (fill) in the Comment of the DX log
                                              contact?

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Nov 12, 2012
                                                John,

                                                thank you for your answer. I would like to see QTH-Infos and others from a CH-file. So I can correct or complete it, if the CH-file i not right or something is missing.

                                                73, Al

                                                --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "John Bednar" <k3ct@...> wrote:

                                                > Al,
                                                >
                                                > The Comment field is not a call history field.
                                                >
                                                > What data do you want to populate (fill) in the Comment of the DX log
                                                > contact?
                                                >
                                                > John, K3CT

                                              • rlitt
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 28, 2014
                                                  Anyone know where there is a Call history file for w/ve side of the ARRL DX Contest?
                                                  Ron, K5HM
                                                • Pete Smith N4ZR
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Mar 1, 2014
                                                    We could sure use one for the W./VE side.  There is a big new one for the DX side in the Call History file section of the web site <http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=27>.  If one or more of the big stations want to, after the contest you can build a Call history file from your log using Thucydides <http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Third+Party+Software&structure=N1MM+Logger+Documentation#Thucydides_by_Carel_PC5M_>
                                                    73, Pete N4ZR
                                                    Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
                                                    http://reversebeacon.net,
                                                    blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.