RE: [N1MM] Two issues found during IOTA 2007.

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2007
      Make sure the "big gun" switch is turned on - it is on the function keys
      tab in the configurer - the real caption is "ESM only sends call once..."

      If it is not checked that's the behavior you'll see.

      73, Pete N4ZR

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2007
        Julio,

        Pete is right about the "big gun switch. One little trick I use with the
        big gun switch on is to program my call in F8 instead of "again". (rarely
        used it anyway.) This way, if I don't get the guy on the first call, I can
        hit Enter to repeatedly send my call until the cows come home (old Tennessee
        hillbilly expression) and the cursor is always in the right place when he
        does answer.

        73, Ted W4NZ

        ===============================

        At 02:30 PM 8/2/2007, you wrote:

        >Ted,
        >
        >Correct that is what I am used to: F8 higlighted until a valid exchange
        is
        >entered but it is not working like this in the IOTA, I am now in release
        >7.8.0.
        >
        >I have ESM on and hitting enter after typing a callsign sends my callsign
        >but does not advance the cursor to the next field anymore, that is why I
        use
        >space. Any clues?
        >
        >73,
        >Julio VE3FH
        >
        > >From: "Ted Bryant" <w4nz@...>
        > >To: <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com>
        > >Subject: RE: [N1MM] Two issues found during IOTA 2007.
        > >Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 19:04:02 -0400
        > >
        > >Julio,
        > >re your #1: I am also seeing this for the IOTA contest. I have not seen
        > >this behavior in other contests so it may be a bug in the IOTA module.
        > >Normally, F8 (Again) is highlighted until you enter a valid exchange.
        > >
        > >BTW, if F2 is highlighted, you obviously have ESM activated. With ESM,
        > >when
        > >you type a call, just hit Enter. There is no need to hit the spacebar
        as
        > >the cursor will tab automatically to the proper window in the exchange
        > >field.
        > >
        > >73, Ted W4NZ
        > >
        > >===============================
        > >Attend the Tennessee QSO Party:
        > > http://www.tnqp.org
        > >===============================

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        2:22 PM

      • ve3fh
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 17, 2007
          Pete,

          I am afraid that is not it, I tried checking and uncheking "ESM only
          sends call once..." and it does certainly affect how the enter key
          works but it still logs QSOs with exchange equal zero when the field
          is still blank:

          Case 1, with "ESM only sends call once..." checked:
          Typing a callsign highlights F4
          Hitting enter sends my callsign and advances the cursor to the Nr
          field but F2 is highlighted (instead of F8)
          At this point pressing enter again (with the Nr field blank) sends my
          exchange and logs the QSO with RcvNr=zero, the only way to resend my
          call is to reach for F4 or F8

          Case 2, with "ESM only sends call once..." unchecked:
          Typing a callsign highlights F4
          Hitting enter sends my callsign but the cursor remains in the
          callsign field
          Hitting space advances the cursor to the Nr field but higlights F2
          At this point pressing enter again (with the Nr field blank) sends my
          exchange and logs the QSO with Nr=zero, the only way to resend my
          call is to reach for F4 or F8

          I found this during IOTA and then again during WAE CW. This may seem
          minor for those running most of the time but it is a nuisance when
          doing 100% S&P with low power and a vertical plus lousy propagation
          because it takes more than one try to get through then I end up with
          a lot of zero-exchange QSOs logged that I have to go back and fix.

          I am using 7.8.7 now.

          Another thing I noticed is that this affects only CW and SSB contests
          but not RTTY ones, i.e. I just set up for the SARTG RTTY and it works
          just fine: F8 remains higlighted until a valid exchange is entered,
          regardless of the "ESM only sends call once..." setting.
          I have not been very active lately and I had some PC hardware
          failures that forced me to switch PCs so it may be some setting I
          screwed up, if that is the case I apologize and appreciate any
          assistance.

          73,
          Julio VE3FH

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 17, 2007
            OK - this is a different issue. So far as logging zero in the received
            exchange, I believe this is the result of insufficient error checking in
            both contests; both should require something in the received exchange
            field, in other words not letting null = zero and logging it.

            The RTTY behavior is Rick's baby - I'm sure he has read your message and
            added it to his list.

            73, Pete

          • Steve Harrison
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 17, 2007
              At 02:59 PM 8/17/2007 -0400, you wrote:
              >OK - this is a different issue. So far as logging zero in the received
              >exchange, I believe this is the result of insufficient error checking in
              >both contests; both should require something in the received exchange
              >field, in other words not letting null = zero and logging it.

              What's nice about it logging the Q even with a 0 serial number is that when
              you attempt to log such an incorrect entry in some other contests, you get
              that dreaded red "DUMMY!!!" error box and the program won't send anything
              until you both clear that box and correct your entry. THEN it'll send your
              exchange or TU message. Meanwhile, the guy on the other end is wondering
              where you went and what's taking so long. And other people in line start
              calling, before you've had a chance to complete your Q ;o((((((((((((

              When you hear this kind of "stutter" during contests, you can bet the guy's
              using N1MM logger and that's exactly what happened ;o((((((((( I've found
              it quickest then to just wipe the entire QSO and reenter all the data
              fresh. The reason is because the entry windows are usually SHORTER than the
              data and so you cannot see, without moving the cursor into the window and
              backspacing a lot, where you typoed the data. That takes time.

              So now that you mention it, now I understand why I never heard such
              "stutters" during the IARU or IOTA tests compared to tests during the few
              months prior to them.

              Personally, I'd prefer all the contests to log Qs even with 0 SNs because
              that allows you to keep going without having everything stop when you make
              a simple typo. If you're typo-prone, you quickly learn to watch what you're
              doing so you don't hafta do that CNTRL-Y and enter the correct number.

              However, correcting the entry would sure be a lot easier and quicker if the
              SN field in the QSO edit box was located closer to the top of the form
              instead of halfway down where it's harder to find.

              I need to try the Quick-Edit feature; maybe that's the answer.

              Steve, K0XP
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 18, 2007
                There are actually TWO answers, Steve - one is Quick Edit and the other is
                Ctrl+Alt+Enter. Get used to using them and nobody will be able to tell
                you're using N1MM Logger ;^)

                Also, nothing about ESM or exchange error checking prevents you from
                sending CW with function keys, so it would be easy enough to send Agn with
                F8 or some other message with another key to hold everyone in place while
                you sort it out. ESM even sets this choice automatically if you enter an
                invalid exchange.

                73, Pete N4ZR

                At 01:37 AM 8/18/2007, Steve Harrison wrote:
                >At 02:59 PM 8/17/2007 -0400, you wrote:
                > >OK - this is a different issue. So far as logging zero in the received
                > >exchange, I believe this is the result of insufficient error checking in
                > >both contests; both should require something in the received exchange
                > >field, in other words not letting null = zero and logging it.
                >
                >What's nice about it logging the Q even with a 0 serial number is that when
                >you attempt to log such an incorrect entry in some other contests, you get
                >that dreaded red "DUMMY!!!" error box and the program won't send anything
                >until you both clear that box and correct your entry. THEN it'll send your
                >exchange or TU message. Meanwhile, the guy on the other end is wondering
                >where you went and what's taking so long. And other people in line start
                >calling, before you've had a chance to complete your Q ;o((((((((((((
                >
                >When you hear this kind of "stutter" during contests, you can bet the guy's
                >using N1MM logger and that's exactly what happened ;o((((((((( I've found
                >it quickest then to just wipe the entire QSO and reenter all the data
                >fresh. The reason is because the entry windows are usually SHORTER than the
                >data and so you cannot see, without moving the cursor into the window and
                >backspacing a lot, where you typoed the data. That takes time.
                >
                >So now that you mention it, now I understand why I never heard such
                >"stutters" during the IARU or IOTA tests compared to tests during the few
                >months prior to them.
                >
                >Personally, I'd prefer all the contests to log Qs even with 0 SNs because
                >that allows you to keep going without having everything stop when you make
                >a simple typo. If you're typo-prone, you quickly learn to watch what you're
                >doing so you don't hafta do that CNTRL-Y and enter the correct number.
                >
                >However, correcting the entry would sure be a lot easier and quicker if the
                >SN field in the QSO edit box was located closer to the top of the form
                >instead of halfway down where it's harder to find.
                >
                >I need to try the Quick-Edit feature; maybe that's the answer.
                >
                >Steve, K0XP
                >

                >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Steve Harrison
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 18, 2007
                  At 07:17 AM 8/18/2007 -0400, you wrote:
                  >There are actually TWO answers, Steve - one is Quick Edit and the other is
                  >Ctrl+Alt+Enter. Get used to using them and nobody will be able to tell
                  >you're using N1MM Logger ;^)

                  I'm still learning, obviously, and putting into effect these little tips
                  each contest. My next step is to become familiar with Quick Edit.

                  N1MM Logger is a very fine program, and extremely flexible to boot, with
                  all the contest templates available thanks to the guys who create them. I'm
                  very pleased and happy with it despite the tiny hiccups now and then and
                  will buy coffee or drinks for any of the guys who've made it as good as it
                  is if I ever meet them 8o)

                  >Also, nothing about ESM or exchange error checking prevents you from
                  >sending CW with function keys, so it would be easy enough to send Agn with
                  >F8 or some other message with another key to hold everyone in place while
                  >you sort it out. ESM even sets this choice automatically if you enter an
                  >invalid exchange.

                  From my experience (I'm now reluctant to state unequivalently: "No, that's
                  not true"), when that error box pops up in some contests due to typoing
                  data, you CANNOT send CW from any function key. You MUST quickly fix the
                  errant data before the program will send anything. I'm not certain whether
                  that happens with or without ESM. As you know, ESM works best for those who
                  are able to run; so I use ESM for most but not all contests.

                  Steve, K0XP