Echoing a received exchange.

  • Clive Whelan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
      I may have asked this before, and I believe the answer was
      manana, but I've been on the planet Quark for a while so
      might have missed any progress?

      There is an RSGB( CW)contest ( called ROPOCO- see
      http://www.rsgbhfcc.org for rules), and also I believe one
      of the US sprints(?), where the sent exchange is that
      received on the previous QSO. TR supported this for the US
      event, and Writelog, by accident, had some macros that would
      do the required. Sadly, when I wish to operate these events
      ( twice per annum), I have to revert to WL, and forego ESM
      in S&P mode.

      So my question is, whether there is any smart way, perhaps
      via N1MM's macro facility to engineer such an event, or
      should I continue to use WL as required?

      tia

      73

      Clive
      GW3NJW
    • Clive Whelan
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2007
        Pete

        Since there was no reply to the below, perhaps I could add it as a feature
        request ( a macro I guess?). Should I do this via the web site, or is this
        sufficient?

        73

        Clive
        GW3NJW

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2007
          Hi Clive -- I am no longer in the loop for feature requests and bug
          reports. I would suggest using the web site. I'd also suggest not calling
          it "echo received exchange" because that triggers memories of the rejected
          request by some people to be able to send back the exchange just received
          *to the person who sent it*. Not what *you* mean but could be
          misinterpreted if someone's in a hurry.

          Seems to me that this should be doable fairly easily with a macro called
          something like {LASTEXCH} that would read the last received exchange from
          the log and substitute it, or else substitute a variable that would always
          trail one QSO behind.

          73, Pete

          At 08:27 AM 6/6/2007, Clive Whelan wrote:
          >Pete
          >
          >Since there was no reply to the below, perhaps I could add it as a feature
          >request ( a macro I guess?). Should I do this via the web site, or is this
          >sufficient?
          >

          >73
          >

          >Clive
          >GW3NJW
          >
          > I may have asked this before, and I believe the answer was
          > manana, but I've been on the planet Quark for a while so
          > might have missed any progress?
          >
          > There is an RSGB( CW)contest ( called ROPOCO- see
          > http://www.rsgbhfcc.org for rules), and also I believe one
          > of the US sprints(?), where the sent exchange is that
          > received on the previous QSO. TR supported this for the US
          > event, and Writelog, by accident, had some macros that would
          > do the required. Sadly, when I wish to operate these events
          > ( twice per annum), I have to revert to WL, and forego ESM
          > in S&P mode.
          >
          > So my question is, whether there is any smart way, perhaps
          > via N1MM's macro facility to engineer such an event, or
          > should I continue to use WL as required?
          >
          > tia
          >
          > 73
          >
          > Clive
          > GW3NJW

          >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • David
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6, 2007
            Would also need a fill before first. In this case you own Post Code.

            For those reading and do not know about this contest RSGB ROPOCO, it is
            UK only & CW on 80M. For you first QSO you send your own post code. A UK
            post code is letters and numbers e,g, mine is AL2 3PZ and in a
            residential area covers about 15 to 30 addresses. From then on you send
            the last one received. It's great fun getting your own post code back,
            if you can still recognise it!

            Needless to say receiving the exchange correct is very important to the
            final score as well as the number of QSOs made.

            David, G3YYD

            Pete Smith wrote:

            > Hi Clive -- I am no longer in the loop for feature requests and bug
            > reports. I would suggest using the web site. I'd also suggest not calling
            > it "echo received exchange" because that triggers memories of the
            > rejected
            > request by some people to be able to send back the exchange just received
            > *to the person who sent it*. Not what *you* mean but could be
            > misinterpreted if someone's in a hurry.
            >
            > Seems to me that this should be doable fairly easily with a macro called
            > something like {LASTEXCH} that would read the last received exchange from
            > the log and substitute it, or else substitute a variable that would
            > always
            > trail one QSO behind.
            >
            > 73, Pete
            >
            > At 08:27 AM 6/6/2007, Clive Whelan wrote:
            > >Pete
            > >
            > >Since there was no reply to the below, perhaps I could add it as a
            > feature
            > >request ( a macro I guess?). Should I do this via the web site, or is
            > this
            > >sufficient?
            > >

            > >73
            > >

            > >Clive
            > >GW3NJW
            > >
            > > I may have asked this before, and I believe the answer was
            > > manana, but I've been on the planet Quark for a while so
            > > might have missed any progress?
            > >
            > > There is an RSGB( CW)contest ( called ROPOCO- see
            > > http://www.rsgbhfcc.org <http://www.rsgbhfcc.org> for rules), and
            > also I believe one
            > > of the US sprints(?), where the sent exchange is that
            > > received on the previous QSO. TR supported this for the US
            > > event, and Writelog, by accident, had some macros that would
            > > do the required. Sadly, when I wish to operate these events
            > > ( twice per annum), I have to revert to WL, and forego ESM
            > > in S&P mode.
            > >
            > > So my question is, whether there is any smart way, perhaps
            > > via N1MM's macro facility to engineer such an event, or
            > > should I continue to use WL as required?
            > >
            > > tia
            > >
            > > 73
            > >
            > > Clive
            > > GW3NJW

            > >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
            > <mailto:N1MMLogger-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
            > >

            > >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Clive Whelan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6, 2007
              Thanks Pete

              Understood about the nomenclature. I agree that is a ghastly procedure!

              I'll find some words, fear not.

              David is right about the first sent exchange of course, but I always did
              that on the paddle in any case. The contest is sort of diametrically opposed
              to CQWW where the exchange is virtually redundant. In this one you just have
              to get it right. I am an ex-adjudicator, and I was really tough!

              It's really hard sending an exchange which you k-n-o-w is impossible
              because it has been mangled by a previous QSO, but that's what you have to
              do. In particular you sometimes get your own postcode back midway through
              the contest but it's incorrect at that point. Writing that in the log is
              verrrry hard to do. I do believe that there is a US based sprint event
              which uses that exchange format, which is why good old TRlog used to support
              it. Shame about TR, it used to be the best bar none, and is clearly the
              basis of N1MM logger. I am still a life subber to TR, but haven't been able
              to get upgrades for several years, so assume it's gone to the wall?

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 6, 2007
                TR is still out there but development has been frozen for several
                years. Yes, some aspects of MM were inspired by TR, in particular the
                modal nature and ESM, but some also by frustration with the limitations
                imposed by DOS on the user interface. UA4WLI, the author of SH5, is
                working on a TR for Windows. I've given it a try, and it has promise, but
                is still very incomplete.

                73, Pete

                By the way, lest you wonder, I remain on very good terms with Tom, Rick and
                the other developers, frequently beta-testing and so on. My previous role
                was simply taking too much time.

              • Don Moman VE6JY
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 6, 2007
                  version 6.88 of TR was released May 27/07 and there has been other new
                  version activity this spring, check the TR archives for more info.

                  73 Don
                  VE6JY

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 6, 2007
                    Don's right, though the TR Log revision history on the web page stops at
                    6.82 last fall, and the last previous versions before that were released in
                    2003. I think that other than Tree's complete rewrite of the radio code in
                    6.82, everything that has happened since 2003 has been basically bug
                    fixes. Scarcely surprising, given how long Tree had been laboring on it -
                    I used TR for 8+ years before switching to MM 4 years ago - gee, how time
                    flies when you're having fun!

                    73, Pete N4ZR

                    At 01:47 PM 6/6/2007, you wrote:
                    >version 6.88 of TR was released May 27/07 and there has been other new
                    >version activity this spring, check the TR archives for more info.
                    >
                    >73 Don
                    >VE6JY

                  • Clive Whelan