RE: [N1MM] SSB problem

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1 6:41 AM
      Tom,

      Yes, my microphone is selected for the "Select Line to Mute" in the Audio
      setup. I also have selected, sound card Option 1 - "Zero or Single Card -
      One Radio, No Sound Card SO2R". (The DXD does all the audio switching)
      Without the mic muted it will pick up (and transmit) extraneous shack noises
      when a wav file is playing. You can actually "talk over" your wav file.
      (Playing with this can lead to some interesting sounds effects, btw -hi.)

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 1 1:50 PM
        Hi Ted

        Well, I tried different settings, but with the mike muted, it still won't
        let me have audio from the mike if I have #wav after the 'nr.wav#wav' in the
        F2 macro. As soon as I hit the <esc> key I have audio again. For some
        reason it is not releasing the 'mike muted' when it goes back to receive.
        73
        Tom W7WHY

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 1 4:00 PM
          Tom,

          Try playing with the F2 macro.
          Try it with a comma separater, leave no spaces:
          wav\{OPERATOR}\nr.wav,wav\{OPERATOR}\#.wav

          I have F2 like this: wav\{OPERATOR}\nr.wav,wav\{OPERATOR}\tnx.wav just for
          testing and it plays both wav files and releases the PTT.

          Well, I tried different settings, but with the mike muted, it still won't
          let me have audio from the mike if I have #wav after the 'nr.wav#wav' in
          the
          F2 macro. As soon as I hit the <esc> key I have audio again. For some
          reason it is not releasing the 'mike muted' when it goes back to receive.
          73
          Tom W7WHY

          > Tom,
          >
          > Yes, my microphone is selected for the "Select Line to Mute" in the
          Audio
          > setup. I also have selected, sound card Option 1 - >"Zero or Single
          > Card -One Radio, No Sound Card SO2R". (The DXD does all the audio
          > switching)
          > Without the mic muted it will pick up (and transmit) extraneous shack
          > noises
          > when a wav file is playing. You can actually "talk over" your wav file.
          > (Playing with this can lead to some interesting sounds effects,
          btw -hi.)

          > 73, Ted W4NZ

        • Michael Ruttenberg G7TWC
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 1 5:03 PM
            Also worth noting a possible issue here in the macro:

            wav\{operator}\nr.wav#.wav should surely be wav\{operator}\nr.wav#

            If you have a file named #.wav then I suspect it doesn't like it because I believe # is hardcoded as a reserved command for the serial number path in the LETTERS folder referencing dynmaically the numbers files (1.wav, 2.wav etc).

            Mike
            G7TWC

            Well, I tried different settings, but with the mike muted, it still won't
            let me have audio from the mike if I have #wav after the 'nr.wav#wav' in the
            F2 macro. As soon as I hit the <esc> key I have audio again. For some
            reason it is not releasing the 'mike muted' when it goes back to receive.
            73
            Tom W7WHY

            > Tom,
            >
            > Yes, my microphone is selected for the "Select Line to Mute" in the Audio
            > setup. I also have selected, sound card Option 1 - >"Zero or Single
            > Card -One Radio, No Sound Card SO2R". (The DXD does all the audio
            > switching)
            > Without the mic muted it will pick up (and transmit) extraneous shack
            > noises
            > when a wav file is playing. You can actually "talk over" your wav file.
            > (Playing with this can lead to some interesting sounds effects, btw -hi.)
            >
            > 73, Ted W4NZ

          • Michael Ruttenberg G7TWC
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 1 5:08 PM
              One more thing to add, AFAIK (and having seen an issue dated March 2006 by I think N9KV and having reraised this one last July), you can only have 1 operator's voice in the letters/numbers folder. Everything else (CQ, TU, QRZ etc) work with {OPERATOR} but not the letters/numbers numbers folder. :(

              This isn't an issue if you're in something like CQWW where you always give the same region so can have a corresponding file which is in the relavent operator subfolder of the WAV folder, but it's not currently possible to send operator-specific contents of the LETTERS folder.

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 1 5:16 PM
                I believe Mike is correct, Tom. It works here.

                Well, I tried different settings, but with the mike muted, it still won't
                let me have audio from the mike if I have #wav after the 'nr.wav#wav' in
                the
                F2 macro. As soon as I hit the <esc> key I have audio again. For some
                reason it is not releasing the 'mike muted' when it goes back to receive.
                73
                Tom W7WHY

                > Tom,
                >
                > Yes, my microphone is selected for the "Select Line to Mute" in the
                Audio
                > setup. I also have selected, sound card Option 1 - >"Zero or Single
                > Card -One Radio, No Sound Card SO2R". (The DXD does all the audio
                > switching)
                > Without the mic muted it will pick up (and transmit) extraneous shack
                > noises
                > when a wav file is playing. You can actually "talk over" your wav file.
                > (Playing with this can lead to some interesting sounds effects,
                btw -hi.)

                > 73, Ted W4NZ

              • Tom Osborne
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 1 9:44 PM
                  Hi Ted, et al

                  Yep, ur right. I had #.wav at the end of the macro. I deleted the '.wav'
                  so it is just nr.wav# and all is good in Mudville. CU Thursday night.
                  Tom W7WHY

                  >I believe Mike is correct, Tom. It works here.
                  >
                  > 73, Ted W4NZ
                • Tom Osborne
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 18, 2009
                    Hi All

                    When working the NAQP SSB I ran into a problem.

                    Scenerio goes like this:

                    F1--CQ (using ESM)
                    Station answers, type callsign in and F5 and F2 turn blue
                    Hit enter and cursor goes to F8 and sends 'W7WHY', then the exchange in F2.
                    'W7WHY' is not in F8
                    'State here is Oregon' is in F8 (according to the function key setup, F8 is
                    supposed to be 'Again', so I changed it to that
                    Doesn't matter if Callsign Lookup is checked or not
                    Tried versions all the way back to 8.11.0 to the newest and still does the
                    same thing

                    I used the help file on internet and also looked at the messages at yahoo
                    groups, but couldn't find anything about this.

                    Seems like someone mentioned this before, but can't find the thread.

                    What am I doing wrong? Thanks and 73
                    Tom W7WHY
                  • Michael Keane K1MK
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 18, 2009
                      Tom,

                      It sounds like you're stick in S&P mode.

                      On 1/18/2009 12:28 PM, Tom Osborne wrote:
                      > Hi All
                      >
                      > When working the NAQP SSB I ran into a problem.
                      >
                      > Scenerio goes like this:
                      >
                      > F1--CQ (using ESM)

                      CQ Key on the Function Keys tab in the Configurer set to F1?

                      Running box gets checked when you call CQ?

                      Press Alt-F11 until the 'S&P and Rin Mode enabled' message shows up at
                      the bottom of the entry window

                      > Station answers, type callsign in and F5 and F2 turn blue
                      > Hit enter and cursor goes to F8 and sends 'W7WHY', then the exchange in F2.

                      What do you have in F5 and F2?

                      > 'W7WHY' is not in F8
                      > 'State here is Oregon' is in F8 (according to the function key setup, F8 is
                      > supposed to be 'Again', so I changed it to that

                      > Doesn't matter if Callsign Lookup is checked or not

                      With Callsign lookup enabled, are both Name & State/Province bing
                      filled-in when F8 is highlighted?
                    • Tom Osborne
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 18, 2009
                        Hi Mike

                        > Tom,
                        >
                        > It sounds like you're stick in S&P mode.

                        It shows that I am in run. The green circle switches from SP to Run.

                        >> When working the NAQP SSB I ran into a problem.
                        >>
                        >> Scenerio goes like this:
                        >>
                        >> F1--CQ (using ESM)
                        >
                        > CQ Key on the Function Keys tab in the Configurer set to F1?

                        Yes. Still don't understand why F6 is labled 'QSO B4'. That should not be
                        used.

                        > Running box gets checked when you call CQ?

                        Yes, I have 'is the frequency in use' in S&P F1, then it switches to run.

                        > Press Alt-F11 until the 'S&P and Rin Mode enabled' message shows up at
                        > the bottom of the entry window

                        Did that.

                        >> Station answers, type callsign in and F5 and F2 turn blue
                        >> Hit enter and cursor goes to F8 and sends 'W7WHY', then the exchange in
                        >> F2.
                        >
                        > What do you have in F5 and F2?

                        F5 just has a blank space. F2 has my NQ exchange=wav\{operator}\naqpexc.wav

                        >> 'W7WHY' is not in F8
                        >> 'State here is Oregon' is in F8 (according to the function key setup, F8
                        >> is
                        >> supposed to be 'Again', so I changed it to that
                        >
                        >> Doesn't matter if Callsign Lookup is checked or not
                        >
                        > With Callsign lookup enabled, are both Name & State/Province being
                        > filled-in when F8 is highlighted?

                        Nothing is highlighted. 73
                        Tom W7WHY
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 18, 2009
                          Hi Tom,

                          NAQP SSB contest,Run mode
                          This is how the ESM sequence works here (V8.12.9):
                          - F1 CQ
                          - Station answers, type callsign , F5 and F2 highlight, cursor stays in
                          callsign field
                          - Hit ENTER, F5(blank) and F2 messages sent, cursor moves to the empty NAME
                          field, F8(AGN) highlights (until I type a complete, valid exchange)
                          - Type his name (spacebar), type his state then F3 and "Log it" highlight
                          - Hit ENTER, F3 message sent, QSO is logged, all fields cleared and F1
                          highlights

                          In the Configurer, Function Keys tab, make sure the "His Call" key is set to
                          F5. I believe you said you had a single blank space programmed in the F5
                          message so it should skip to the F2 message.

                          Also - play your messages directly outside of N1MM and make sure they are
                          what you think they are. Don't trust their file name unless you've verified
                          the message. I have found more than once a "wrong" message in the right
                          file name. :((

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 18, 2009
                            > Hi Tom,
                            >
                            > NAQP SSB contest,Run mode
                            > This is how the ESM sequence works here (V8.12.9):
                            > - F1 CQ
                            > - Station answers, type callsign , F5 and F2 highlight, cursor stays in
                            > callsign field
                            > - Hit ENTER, F5(blank) and F2 messages sent, cursor moves to the empty
                            > NAME
                            > field, F8(AGN) highlights (until I type a complete, valid exchange)
                            > - Type his name (spacebar), type his state then F3 and "Log it" highlight
                            > - Hit ENTER, F3 message sent, QSO is logged, all fields cleared and F1
                            > highlights

                            Hi Ted

                            Yes, that is how it used to do.

                            Now the sequence is:
                            F1 CQ
                            Station answers, type callsign, F5 and F2 highlight, cursor stays in
                            callsign field (blank in F5-exchange in F2)
                            Hit enter again-highlight moves to F8-sends 'W7WHY' then F2 message. F8
                            stays highlighted.
                            Cursor then moves to empty name field where I can type in the name and
                            state. Hit enter again and it sends the QSL message and logs the contact
                            and F1 highlights. Hit enter again and it calls CQ.

                            I don't know why the heck it is sending 'W7WHY' before it sends the
                            exchange. It is like it's in S&P and Run at the same time.

                            I changed the name of the .ini file and made a new one. Re-installed the
                            base install, the did the upgrade.

                            Using XP, Dell dimension 2400. I have the same setup on my laptop with
                            Vista and it works like it should. 73
                            Tom W7WHY
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 18, 2009
                              Tom,

                              In the Configurer, Function Keys tab, what do you have defined for the "His
                              Call" key, "My Call" key and the "Again key"?

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 18, 2009
                                Hi Ted

                                His call is F5, my call is F4 and again is F8. I even re-recorded the
                                macros on the fly so they would be saying the right things.

                                I just did a system restore back to Friday and it is working right again.

                                I don't know what happened. Thanks for the help, though, I appreciate it.
                                73 and see you Thursday night maybe. Hopefully we'll be back on CW again
                                :-)

                                Tom W7WHY