Re: [N1MM] ICOM 718 Keys up on startup

  • drcamphill
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2002
      My findings:
      version 369:
      Prior to starting N1MM
      DTR is Low (-9 volts)
      RTS is Low (-9 volts)

      After starting N1MM:
      DTR Stays low (-9 volts)
      RTS goes HIGH (+9 volts)
      *************************
      Version 378:
      Prior to starting N1MM
      DTR is low (-9 volts)
      RTS is low (-9 volts)

      After starting N1MM
      DTR is high (+9 volts)
      RTS is high (+9 volts)

      As you can see, version 369 did work for me when I was using DTR to
      key the rig, because it always stays low. Now that I switched to
      using RTS (the industry standard), now N1MM never works, regardless
      of the version, because RTS is always going high (positive voltage)
      as soon as I start the program.

      I compared this to 6 other programs that I have (MMSSTV, MMTTY, MixW,
      CWTYPE, WinPSKe and Winwarbler). They all work and control RTS/DTR
      the same as each other...and exactly opposite as N1MM.

      Electronically speaking, when RTS is low, the switching circuit keeps
      PTT on rig high (positive voltage). When RTS goes high (positive
      voltage), the switching circuit takes PTT low, to ground, keying the
      rig. Every modern radio these days holds it's PTT high and you simply
      ground it to key up. Having said this, when N1MM holds RTS high
      (positive voltage on pin 7 of DB9) the switching circuit sends the
      transistor collector (PTT) low, to ground, keying the rig.

      If anyone out there in Yahoo-land disagrees with this logic, please
      correct me.

      What do you mean by RTS is "disabled" on startup? Does "disabled"
      mean a low or high voltage at pin 7 of db9? To me, disabled means it
      is off, or no voltage. Which would be correct use of this line.
      However, it seems that it's working exactly opposite, because on
      start up, RTS goes high.

      Thanks again for your patience as I REALLY like your program, but at
      this point it's not working like all the other programs out there,
      and I DO want to use it.

      KB3DPU

      --- In N1MMLogger@y..., "Tom Wagner" <tfwagner@s...> wrote:
      > I traced the code and it shows that rts is disabled
      > on startup and enabled while sending cw. It is only
      > enabled on on sending cw, if comX is specified
      > as the CW port and disable ptt is not checked.
      >
      > No one else has reported this problem. I don't have
      > xp pro to test with. I'd put a meter on pin 7
      > and see what is happening.
      >
      > Beyond this, I don't know what to tell you.
      >
      > 73,
      > Tom

    • Tom Wagner
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2002
        Please File/Export/Export settings & send the file to me.

        Tom
        > As you can see, version 369 did work for me when I was using DTR to
        > key the rig, because it always stays low. Now that I switched to
        > using RTS (the industry standard), now N1MM never works, regardless
        > of the version, because RTS is always going high (positive voltage)
        > as soon as I start the program.
        >
        > I compared this to 6 other programs that I have (MMSSTV, MMTTY, MixW,
        > CWTYPE, WinPSKe and Winwarbler). They all work and control RTS/DTR
        > the same as each other...and exactly opposite as N1MM.
        >
        > Electronically speaking, when RTS is low, the switching circuit keeps
        > PTT on rig high (positive voltage). When RTS goes high (positive
        > voltage), the switching circuit takes PTT low, to ground, keying the
        > rig. Every modern radio these days holds it's PTT high and you simply
        > ground it to key up. Having said this, when N1MM holds RTS high
        > (positive voltage on pin 7 of DB9) the switching circuit sends the
        > transistor collector (PTT) low, to ground, keying the rig.
        >
        > If anyone out there in Yahoo-land disagrees with this logic, please
        > correct me.
        >
        > What do you mean by RTS is "disabled" on startup? Does "disabled"
        > mean a low or high voltage at pin 7 of db9? To me, disabled means it
        > is off, or no voltage. Which would be correct use of this line.
        > However, it seems that it's working exactly opposite, because on
        > start up, RTS goes high.
        >
        > Thanks again for your patience as I REALLY like your program, but at
        > this point it's not working like all the other programs out there,
        > and I DO want to use it.
        >
        > KB3DPU
        >
        > --- In N1MMLogger@y..., "Tom Wagner" <tfwagner@s...> wrote:
        > > I traced the code and it shows that rts is disabled
        > > on startup and enabled while sending cw. It is only
        > > enabled on on sending cw, if comX is specified
        > > as the CW port and disable ptt is not checked.
        > >
        > > No one else has reported this problem. I don't have
        > > xp pro to test with. I'd put a meter on pin 7
        > > and see what is happening.
        > >
        > > Beyond this, I don't know what to tell you.
        > >
        > > 73,
        > > Tom

      • Carl - WC4H
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 5, 2002
          Have you tried setting it for "both" dtr and rts? That works on my 756PRO
          II.

          73
          Carl

          > As you can see, version 369 did work for me when I was using DTR to
          > key the rig, because it always stays low. Now that I switched to
          > using RTS (the industry standard), now N1MM never works, regardless
          > of the version, because RTS is always going high (positive voltage)
          > as soon as I start the program.
          >
          > I compared this to 6 other programs that I have (MMSSTV, MMTTY, MixW,
          > CWTYPE, WinPSKe and Winwarbler). They all work and control RTS/DTR
          > the same as each other...and exactly opposite as N1MM.
          >
          > Electronically speaking, when RTS is low, the switching circuit keeps
          > PTT on rig high (positive voltage). When RTS goes high (positive
          > voltage), the switching circuit takes PTT low, to ground, keying the
          > rig. Every modern radio these days holds it's PTT high and you simply
          > ground it to key up. Having said this, when N1MM holds RTS high
          > (positive voltage on pin 7 of DB9) the switching circuit sends the
          > transistor collector (PTT) low, to ground, keying the rig.
          >
          > If anyone out there in Yahoo-land disagrees with this logic, please
          > correct me.
          >
          > What do you mean by RTS is "disabled" on startup? Does "disabled"
          > mean a low or high voltage at pin 7 of db9? To me, disabled means it
          > is off, or no voltage. Which would be correct use of this line.
          > However, it seems that it's working exactly opposite, because on
          > start up, RTS goes high.
          >
          > Thanks again for your patience as I REALLY like your program, but at
          > this point it's not working like all the other programs out there,
          > and I DO want to use it.
          >
          > KB3DPU
          >
          > --- In N1MMLogger@y..., "Tom Wagner" <tfwagner@s...> wrote:
          > > I traced the code and it shows that rts is disabled
          > > on startup and enabled while sending cw. It is only
          > > enabled on on sending cw, if comX is specified
          > > as the CW port and disable ptt is not checked.
          > >
          > > No one else has reported this problem. I don't have
          > > xp pro to test with. I'd put a meter on pin 7
          > > and see what is happening.
          > >
          > > Beyond this, I don't know what to tell you.
          > >
          > > 73,
          > > Tom

        • drcamphill
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 6, 2002
            Thanks Carl. I tired every setting. It still works as described.

            Please describe the interface that you're using, how is it connected,
            what signal you're using etc.
            Thanks

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Carl - WC4H
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 6, 2002
              My radio control interface is the Icom CT-17. For CW I use the standard one
              described in Win-EQF, CT, etc. It is on LPT1. It's all right in the plug on
              the computer side. I also have the MFJ Sound Card Interface (MFJ-1275).
              I'll send you a graphic in a separate e-mail.

              I use Windows XP Pro. My interfaces work with Win-EQF, CT, N1MM, MMTTY,
              MixW2, etc. It was tought getting the Sound Card Interface to work.

              With Win CT 9.71 I have to tell it my radio is an IC-756PRO (I have a PRO
              II) and change the memory address on the radio from 64 to 5C. That's
              because CT has not set up the IC-756PRO II yet.

              73
              Carl