Re: [N1MM] SS Setup

  • Steve London
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 1 10:18 AM
      Richard Ferch wrote:
      > Hi Steve,
      >
      > Funny, I don't see that behaviour here - must be something different
      > (SO2R maybe?)

      Nope... Changed to SO2V, same behavior. When you hold the Shift key,
      the function key mappings all go to S&P - that's fine, but the callsign
      field is cleared and the Sent Nr shows 0. When you relase the Shift key,
      the function key mappings go back to Run, but the callsign is empty and
      the Sent Nr is 0.

      73,
      Steve, N2IC
    • Tommy
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 1 10:55 AM
        Rich/VE3KI,

        In F4, you have CALL, CALL? but F4 is reserved for 'MY CALL'. You
        might want to look at that?

        Tom - W4BQF

        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 1 11:46 AM
          These look pretty good to me - I can't make F9 fail either, but I know there are some circumstances in which the serial number is reset to 1 before it should. I just think Steve has found such a case but we haven't yet. Running SO2R with CtrlFx toggle on and Focus Other.

          One critical thing I have to relearn each year, it seems, is to correct the call in the exchange field (naturally, when you copy it as part of the exchange. If you do that, it provides the correction FB.

          73, Pete

        • Gerald Boutin
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 1 12:34 PM
            Pete,

            I tried this last year, but I ended up giving up on it. How do you
            handle it when you have already correctly copied the callsign? Copy
            along as the call comes in, or just listen and retype if necessary?

            I started doing what you are suggesting, but I found that since most
            of the time the call was already correct, I just went back to editing
            the callsign, if necessary.

            Otherwise I would be typing most of the resent callsign and get far
            enough to realize it hadn't changed and then either backspace it out
            if I hadn't finished typing it or continue to recopy the callsign
            (hoping I don't make a typing error this time) and go on with the
            rest of the exchange.

            Is there an easy keystroke that would clear the callsign (in the
            exchange area) once I realize that nothing has changed and let me get
            on with copying the exchange? I found it was less work overall to
            space back to the callsign and hover there waiting to see if a
            correction was needed and then space/end back to the exchange area.

            I am sure it would go a lot better if I had perfect typing. For me,
            less typing is less chance of making a typo. Space key, I hardly ever
            screw up on.

            As an I aside, when someone else mis-copied my call, I would reply
            with the corrected call at the beginning of my exchange as well as in
            the exchange itself just to make sure that they realized they had the
            call wrong. I noticed a few others doing that as well. More liddish
            behaviour on my part?

            --
            Gerald Boutin, VE6WA

            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 1 1:09 PM
              The problem is that when you want to get back to the callsign field to correct the call, Space won't do it because the program doesn't know how long the exchange is that you are copying. So, at least here, I need to remember to tab.

              For me, If I have any doubt about the callsign, I type it when he sends it as part of the exchange - if not, I don't. The rhythm of that feels pretty natural to me. If you discover that, in fact, you copied it wrong, you can also tag it onto the end of the exchange.

              73, Pete N4ZR

              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 1 1:21 PM
                This is really weird - I followed the same steps, and the callsign field stayed filled and the number stayed the number it should have.

                73, Pete

                At 01:18 PM 11/1/2006, you wrote:

                >Richard Ferch wrote:
                >> Hi Steve,
                >>
                >> Funny, I don't see that behaviour here - must be something different
                >> (SO2R maybe?)
                >
                >Nope... Changed to SO2V, same behavior. When you hold the Shift key,
                >the function key mappings all go to S&P - that's fine, but the callsign
                >field is cleared and the Sent Nr shows 0. When you relase the Shift key,
                >the function key mappings go back to Run, but the callsign is empty and
                >the Sent Nr is 0.
                >
                >73,
                >Steve, N2IC
              • David Robbins K1TTT
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 1 1:24 PM
                  At least I won't be confused with you this weekend. Will have guest op here
                  using his own or his club call.

                  David Robbins K1TTT
                  e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                  web: http://www.k1ttt.net

                • Richard Ferch
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 1 7:57 PM
                    Hi Tom,

                    In ESM, not all function keys are used in both Run and S&P modes.
                    For example, F4 is only called up in S&P mode. In Run mode, F4 is
                    never called on by ESM, so you can use the Run F4 for anything you
                    want. Likewise, unless I have forgotten something F1, F3, F5 and F6
                    are never called up in S&P mode, so you can use the S&P versions of
                    those keys for anything you want. If you have a frequent use for one
                    of these messages in both modes, of course it makes sense to leave
                    it in the same key, but if not, why limit yourself to only one set
                    of 12 when there are 24 available?

                    In the case of F4, as a running station I figure you are far more
                    likely to want to ask the other guy to repeat his call than you are
                    to be asked to repeat yours, especially in the SS where your
                    callsign is not only in your CQ message (and possibly your TU
                    message), but also in your exchange. Given how rarely you are likely
                    to need it, and given the complicated exchange where there are so
                    many different ways to ask for and give repeats, my conclusion is
                    that Shift-F4 is good enough for the purpose of sending your call
                    sign in Run mode. For a Caribbean station in the CQ WW, my
                    conclusion would probably be different.

                    Of course, the downside of fine-tuning function keys for each
                    contest like this is that you may only get to use a particular set
                    once or twice a year, so it's easy to forget where some of your
                    messages are in a contest-specific set. I find the display of the
                    buttons on the Entry window a big help for this, even if I never use
                    the mouse to click on them. But if I were operating SO2R, I would
                    place a higher premium on being able to remember the keys without
                    looking, and I would spend less time fine-tuning them for individual
                    contests.

                    That's one of the great things about this software; you can set it
                    up to match your own specific situation instead of living with a one
                    size fits all solution.

                    73,
                    Rich VE3KI

                    --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Tommy <aldermant@...> wrote:

                    > Rich/VE3KI,
                    >
                    > In F4, you have CALL, CALL? but F4 is reserved for 'MY CALL'. You
                    > might want to look at that?
                    >
                    > Tom - W4BQF
                    >

                    > At Wednesday 12:36 PM 11/1/2006, you wrote:
                    > >Hi Steve,
                    > >
                    > >Funny, I don't see that behaviour here - must be something
                    different
                    > >(SO2R maybe?)
                    > >
                    > >Anyway, does this set work better? (uses Run F7 for repeat
                    numbers):

                    > >F1 CQ,SS * * SS
                    > >F2 Exch,# B * 68 NM
                    > >F3 TU,! TU * SS
                    > >F4 CALL?,CALL?
                    > >F5 His Call,!
                    > >F6 B4,! QSO B4 * SS
                    > >F7 Rpt NR,#
                    > >F8 AGN?,AGN?
                    > >F9 NR?,NR?
                    > >F10 PREC?,PREC?
                    > >F11 CK?,CK?
                    > >F12 SEC?,SEC?
                    > >F1 QRL,QRL?{RUN}
                    > >F2 Exch,! # B * 68 NM
                    > >F3 TU,! TU
                    > >F4 Call,*
                    > >F5 His Call,!
                    > >F6 WIPE,{WIPE}
                    > >F7 Rpt Exch,# B * 68 NM
                    > >F8 AGN?,AGN?
                    > >F9 NR,#
                    > >F10 PREC,B
                    > >F11 CK,68
                    > >F12 SEC,NM
                    > >
                    > >73,
                    > >Rich VE3KI
                    > >
                    > >--- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Steve London <n2ic@> wrote:

                    > > > Good idea, but I think there's a serious bug (at least in
                    6.10.8).

                    > > > I'm in Run mode/ESM. Someone answers my CQ. I type the call,
                    hit
                    > >Enter,
                    > > > complete exchange is sent. He asks for a repeat on my number. I
                    > >hit
                    > > > Shift-F9. N1MM incorrectly sends "1". I release the Shift-F9.
                    All
                    > > > fields (including the callsign) have been wiped clean.
                    > > >
                    > > > 73,
                    > > > Steve, N2IC

                    Acrobat

                    > >manual.

                    > >section
                    > >manual,

                    > >S&P
                    F12.

                    TTT)

                    > >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
                    > >

                    > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Tommy
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 1 8:24 PM
                      Thanks Rich. That is the third thing I have learned about this neat
                      program today!

                      Tom - W4BQF

                    • Rex
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 1 9:01 PM
                        Quack Wants to Know

                        I have my Macros set for running, NOW

                        How do I set them for S & P ??

                        I've tried going out of Run Mode but that didn't work ??

                        Rex

                      • Randy Moore
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 6 4:41 PM
                          OK, I admit my screw-up and hope to avoid most of the wrath of those who
                          know better! Let me also say that this is my first use of the N1MM Logger
                          and aside from my screw-up it blew me away! Easy to learn and worked with
                          my Elecraft K2 flawlessly!

                          Here's my problem. When I created my SS log, I completely overlooked the
                          exchange field in the setup dialog. I might have thought it was just an
                          example, or just didn't see it. I correctly (apparently) edited the
                          function keys and nothing during the contest alerted me to my oversight.
                          Anyway, my exchange in the Cabrillo log is the example/default one. Is
                          there a straight forward way to correct this, or do I have to edit the
                          Cabrillo file to fix it?

                          Thanks to the creators for a great contest logging program!

                          Tnx es 73,
                          Randy, KS4L
                        • N7BF
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 7 5:37 AM
                            Randy, you should be able to go into the setup dialog and enter the proper
                            information, like B 58 WWA for me, and then re-export the Cabrillo file. It
                            should make the Cabrillo file from what you've just entered. Try it and
                            then look at the Cabrillo file to see if it came out ok.

                            Alan - N7BF

                            > OK, I admit my screw-up and hope to avoid most of the wrath of those who
                            > know better! Let me also say that this is my first use of the N1MM Logger
                            > and aside from my screw-up it blew me away! Easy to learn and worked with
                            > my Elecraft K2 flawlessly!
                            >
                            > Here's my problem. When I created my SS log, I completely overlooked the
                            > exchange field in the setup dialog. I might have thought it was just an
                            > example, or just didn't see it. I correctly (apparently) edited the
                            > function keys and nothing during the contest alerted me to my oversight.
                            > Anyway, my exchange in the Cabrillo log is the example/default one. Is
                            > there a straight forward way to correct this, or do I have to edit the
                            > Cabrillo file to fix it?
                            >
                            > Thanks to the creators for a great contest logging program!
                            >
                            > Tnx es 73,
                            > Randy, KS4L
                          • Tommy
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 7 5:53 AM
                              Randy,

                              Not completely sure what your saying here.

                              But if you go back into the exchange field and put in just your
                              precedence, your check, and then your state...that is all that is
                              required in that field. If you have any additional information in
                              that slot, your Cab file will not be correct. So fix your exchange
                              field, then just export another cab file, which should produce a
                              correctly formatted cab log file.

                              You can have the incorrect information in the exchange field, but if
                              you set up your function key macro with # ck call state, MM will
                              still send the correct information during the contest. In this
                              scenerio, the only thing that will be incorrect is your exported
                              cabrillo log file.

                              Hope this helps?

                              Tom - W4BQF

                              At Monday 07:41 PM 11/6/2006, you wrote:
                              >OK, I admit my screw-up and hope to avoid most of the wrath of those who
                              >know better! Let me also say that this is my first use of the N1MM Logger
                              >and aside from my screw-up it blew me away! Easy to learn and worked with
                              >my Elecraft K2 flawlessly!
                              >
                              >Here's my problem. When I created my SS log, I completely overlooked the
                              >exchange field in the setup dialog. I might have thought it was just an
                              >example, or just didn't see it. I correctly (apparently) edited the
                              >function keys and nothing during the contest alerted me to my oversight.
                              >Anyway, my exchange in the Cabrillo log is the example/default one. Is
                              >there a straight forward way to correct this, or do I have to edit the
                              >Cabrillo file to fix it?
                              >
                              >Thanks to the creators for a great contest logging program!
                              >
                              >Tnx es 73,
                              >Randy, KS4L
                              >

                              >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
                              >

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Randy Moore
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 7 6:03 PM
                                > But if you go back into the exchange field and put in just
                                > your precedence, your check, and then your state...that is
                                > all that is required in that field.

                                I found that I had to manually open the SSCW data base. Then I was given
                                the opportunity to modify the exchange on the database setup screen. Now
                                the Cabrillo file looks fine.

                                Tnx es 73!
                                Randy, KS4L
                              • Randy Moore
                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 17 6:49 AM
                                  I just realized (I'm not very observant I guess) that when I start N1MM,
                                  with a serial connection to my K3 which is already powered up, as N1MM
                                  starts the K3 goes into transmit for a period about the length of a
                                  Morse "dit". Is that normal, or do I have something setup wrong? I'm
                                  in CW mode. Other than this, the N1MM/K3 combo seems to work just fine
                                  in CW.

                                  Config: 38400, N, 8, 1, DTR=CW, RTS=Always Off, Radio PTT via command=off

                                  73,
                                  Randy, KS4L
                                • Randy Moore
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 19 5:19 AM
                                    Didn't see any response to this. Any ideas anyone?
                                    73,
                                    Randy, KS4L

                                    Randy Moore wrote:
                                    > I just realized (I'm not very observant I guess) that when I start
                                    > N1MM, with a serial connection to my K3 which is already powered up,
                                    > as N1MM starts the K3 goes into transmit for a period about the length
                                    > of a Morse "dit". Is that normal, or do I have something setup
                                    > wrong? I'm in CW mode. Other than this, the N1MM/K3 combo seems to
                                    > work just fine in CW.
                                    >
                                    > Config: 38400, N, 8, 1, DTR=CW, RTS=Always Off, Radio PTT via
                                    > command=off
                                    >
                                    > 73,
                                    > Randy, KS4L

                                  • N1EU
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 19 5:39 AM
                                      --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Randy Moore <wrmoore47@...> wrote:

                                      > > I just realized (I'm not very observant I guess) that when I start
                                      > > N1MM, with a serial connection to my K3 which is already powered up,
                                      > > as N1MM starts the K3 goes into transmit for a period about the
                                      length
                                      > > of a Morse "dit". Is that normal, or do I have something setup
                                      > > wrong? I'm in CW mode. Other than this, the N1MM/K3 combo seems to
                                      > > work just fine in CW.
                                      > >
                                      > > Config: 38400, N, 8, 1, DTR=CW, RTS=Always Off, Radio PTT via
                                      > > command=off

                                      My guess: it's normal because you're using DTR on the CAT control
                                      cable for CW and your K3 VOX is on. The bit is toggling as N1MM
                                      starts up and initializes the radio control. If you used a separate
                                      port for keying, you probably wouldn't get the startup dit.

                                      73,
                                      Barry N1EU
                                    • James Streible
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 19 6:47 AM
                                        Can't say about your set up with the K-3 but, in my set up with an
                                        Orion II and using a RigBlaster Plus when I turn on the computer it will key
                                        the radio several times just when the computer is booting up if the radio
                                        is turned on. So I would say it is more or less normal to have that happen
                                        when loading a program that controls the radio.

                                        Doesn't bother me anyway.

                                        73,

                                        Jim K4DLI

                                        N1EU wrote:
                                        > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Randy Moore <wrmoore47@...> wrote:
                                        >

                                        >>> I just realized (I'm not very observant I guess) that when I start
                                        >>> N1MM, with a serial connection to my K3 which is already powered up,
                                        >>> as N1MM starts the K3 goes into transmit for a period about the
                                        >>>
                                        > length
                                        >
                                        >>> of a Morse "dit". Is that normal, or do I have something setup
                                        >>> wrong? I'm in CW mode. Other than this, the N1MM/K3 combo seems to
                                        >>> work just fine in CW.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> Config: 38400, N, 8, 1, DTR=CW, RTS=Always Off, Radio PTT via
                                        >>> command=off
                                        >>>

                                        > My guess: it's normal because you're using DTR on the CAT control
                                        > cable for CW and your K3 VOX is on. The bit is toggling as N1MM
                                        > starts up and initializes the radio control. If you used a separate
                                        > port for keying, you probably wouldn't get the startup dit.
                                        >
                                        > 73,
                                        > Barry N1EU

                                      • Tommy
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 19 10:05 AM
                                          I think it's normal for a PC's Com ports to close your keying circuit six
                                          times if you turn on your PC when your radio is already turned on. This has
                                          nothing to do with N1MM. However on my PC's, every time I bring up N1MM, my
                                          rig is keyed by one dit..absolutely no big deal.

                                          Tom - W4BQF

                                          N1EU wrote:
                                          > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Randy Moore <wrmoore47@...> wrote:
                                          >

                                          >>> I just realized (I'm not very observant I guess) that when I start
                                          >>> N1MM, with a serial connection to my K3 which is already powered up,
                                          >>> as N1MM starts the K3 goes into transmit for a period about the
                                          >>>
                                          > length
                                          >
                                          >>> of a Morse "dit". Is that normal, or do I have something setup
                                          >>> wrong? I'm in CW mode. Other than this, the N1MM/K3 combo seems to
                                          >>> work just fine in CW.
                                          >>>
                                          >>> Config: 38400, N, 8, 1, DTR=CW, RTS=Always Off, Radio PTT via
                                          >>> command=off
                                          >>>

                                          > My guess: it's normal because you're using DTR on the CAT control
                                          > cable for CW and your K3 VOX is on. The bit is toggling as N1MM
                                          > starts up and initializes the radio control. If you used a separate
                                          > port for keying, you probably wouldn't get the startup dit.
                                          >
                                          > 73,
                                          > Barry N1EU

                                        • Randy Moore
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 19 11:02 AM
                                            > My guess: it's normal because you're using DTR on the CAT control
                                            > cable for CW and your K3 VOX is on. The bit is toggling as N1MM
                                            > starts up and initializes the radio control. If you used a separate
                                            > port for keying, you probably wouldn't get the startup dit.
                                            >
                                            > 73,
                                            > Barry N1EU
                                            Thanks, Barry, that was my guess too.

                                            Other responses referenced toggling the serial port lines when powering
                                            up the PC, but in my case the PC was already running and I just
                                            kicked-off N1MM, which is what initiates the "dit".

                                            73,
                                            Randy, KS4L