Contest Category Rationale

  • n2tu
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 29, 2006
      This may be off topic....so please no flames!

      For the CQWW RTTY contest, if a Single Operator/ Single Band uses the
      spotting network, the station is automatically reclassified as an All
      Band entrant.

      Does anyone have a rationale as to why? It would seem that a Single
      Band entrant should have access to a spotting network without having
      to be reclaasified to All Band.

      I'm sure there is a reason...just have been unable to figure it out.

      73....

      Lou N2TU
    • David Robbins K1TTT
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 29, 2006
        Because there is no single band assisted class... also note that it puts you
        in the single op assisted category.

        David Robbins K1TTT
        e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
        web: http://www.k1ttt.net

      • Art Burke
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 30, 2006
          I was under the impression (my personal interpretatin of the rules)
          if you used a spotting network, you became Single Op Assisted, not
          necessarily multi-band.

          Art - N4PJ

          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "n2tu" <n2tu@...> wrote:

          > This may be off topic....so please no flames!
          >
          > For the CQWW RTTY contest, if a Single Operator/ Single Band uses
          the
          > spotting network, the station is automatically reclassified as an
          All
          > Band entrant.
          >
          > Does anyone have a rationale as to why? It would seem that a
          Single
          > Band entrant should have access to a spotting network without
          having
          > to be reclaasified to All Band.
          >
          > I'm sure there is a reason...just have been unable to figure it
          out.

          > 73....
          >
          > Lou N2TU

        • Tom Homewood

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 30, 2006
              Yes,....but there is a Single Op/ Single Band Category....

              Again, the question is that if one operator operates only one band,
              why does the use of a spotting network put them into the All Band
              category?....(single op assisted is an All band category!)

              What does the use of a spotting network have to do with operating
              All bands?....

              73

              Lou

              --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@...>
              wrote:

              > Because there is no single band assisted class... also note that
              it puts you
              > in the single op assisted category.
              >

              > David Robbins K1TTT
              > e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
              > web: http://www.k1ttt.net

            • Jeff Embry (K3OQ)
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 30, 2006
                Perhaps a better place to pose this question is with the contest sponsor.

                --
                Jeff Embry, K3OQ
                FM19je

                No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however a large

                n2tu wrote:

                >Yes,....but there is a Single Op/ Single Band Category....
                >
                >Again, the question is that if one operator operates only one band,
                >why does the use of a spotting network put them into the All Band
                >category?....(single op assisted is an All band category!)
                >
                >What does the use of a spotting network have to do with operating
                >All bands?....

              • Tom Homewood
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 30, 2006
                  Use of a spotting network puts you in the Assisted category.

                  It has nothing to do with all bands.

                  However, there is no single band assisted category.

                  wrote:

                  > Because there is no single band assisted class... also note that
                  it puts you
                  > in the single op assisted category.
                  >

                  > David Robbins K1TTT
                  > e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                  > web: http://www.k1ttt.net

                • David Robbins K1TTT
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 30, 2006
                    Sorry, but again, the answer is... there is no single band assisted
                    category. That is up to the rules that the sponsor decided on, and they
                    went with the common rule that single op single band is unassisted so no
                    packet is allowed... that is their rule, its well advertised, and if you
                    enter the contest you agree to follow their rules.

                  • n2tu
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 30, 2006
                      Here's the answer I got from the Contest Manager.....

                      "If you used a spotting network you must enter as SOA. By
                      definition SOA is all band. If you only used one band that is fine,
                      but you are competing against people who used all bands. "....

                      Therefore, Single Op/ Single Band....using a spotting network by
                      default becomes a Single Op- Assisted All Band!

                      Not trying to make a mountain out of this...just trying to
                      understand the rationale behind it.... it just seems
                      illogical...especially when there is an existing Single Op/ Single
                      band category.

                      73

                      Lou

                      --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Art Burke" <aburkefl@...> wrote:

                      > I was under the impression (my personal interpretatin of the
                      rules)
                      > if you used a spotting network, you became Single Op Assisted, not
                      > necessarily multi-band.
                      >
                      > Art - N4PJ
                      >
                      > --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "n2tu" <n2tu@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > This may be off topic....so please no flames!
                      > >
                      > > For the CQWW RTTY contest, if a Single Operator/ Single Band
                      uses
                      > the
                      > > spotting network, the station is automatically reclassified as
                      an
                      > All
                      > > Band entrant.
                      > >
                      > > Does anyone have a rationale as to why? It would seem that a
                      > Single
                      > > Band entrant should have access to a spotting network without
                      > having
                      > > to be reclaasified to All Band.
                      > >
                      > > I'm sure there is a reason...just have been unable to figure it
                      > out.
                      > >
                      > > 73....
                      > >
                      > > Lou N2TU

                    • David Robbins K1TTT
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 1, 2006
                        The contest sponsor's answer is all you need: 'By definition' is it. that
                        is the way they define it, so that is the way it is for that contest.

                      • Phil Krichbaum
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 1, 2006
                          You have to draw the line on the number of categories somewhere or else
                          every entrant wins their class. Also if you are a serious single band
                          operator, you probably should know what is going on with that band and
                          really can live nicely without the assistance of spots.
                          I forsee the time where there will be no assisted class as all entrants
                          will be permitted to use spots. Some contests already do this.
                          I've been pushing for power categories for multi ops in the major CQ and
                          ARRL contests but the honchos are not interested unless they think it will
                          increase participation and you need to prove that to them. There probably
                          arn't that many that would want to do QRP MM, M2 or MS. Probably a few more
                          would be interested in LP.
                          Phil N0KE

                          The contest sponsor's answer is all you need: 'By definition' is it. that
                          is the way they define it, so that is the way it is for that contest.

                          David Robbins K1TTT
                          e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                          web: http://www.k1ttt.net

                        • Tom Wagner
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 1, 2006
                            No more posts on this topic, please.

                            It's more appropriate for the CQ-Contest reflector.

                            Tom - N1MM
                          • Bill Turner
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 1, 2006
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 1, 2006
                                This post is *exactly* why I asked that there be no more
                                posts on this topic.

                                STOP

                                Tom - N1MM

                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 1, 2006
                                  >This post is *exactly* why I asked that there be no more
                                  >posts on this topic.
                                  >
                                  >STOP
                                  >
                                  >Tom - N1MM

                                  I didn't see your request to stop until after I posted. Sorry.

                                  Bill, W6WRT