Re: Problem with 1 station that can not transmit while other is transmitting

  • Uffe Lindhardt
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
      Entry window > Config > Multi User tools > Force Other Station to
      Stop Transmitting When I Transmit

      Uncheck this option.

      73 Uffe PA5DD

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
        Depends entirely on the rules of the particular contest. IOTA's aren't totally clear:

        "Multi-Operator (24-hour Mixed Mode only. Multi-ops are restricted to a maximum of two transceivers, the second station to be used to find and call other stations only if the station is a new multiplier. It must not be used to solicit other contacts, e.g. by calling "CQ" or "QRZ". Any non-multiplier QSOs made accidentally on the second station should be logged, but will be scored as zero points." One could infer from this that two simultaneous signals aren't excluded, as long as one of them is calling a multiplier.

        I would have gone withe multi-operator class in the software, and made sure no lockout was active, as ON5ZO suggests.

        73, Pete N4ZR
        At 06:05 PM 7/31/2006, on6cc wrote:
        >Hi,
        >
        >I am one of the PB2T/p group that participated in the IOTA test last
        >weekend on EU-146 as Multi/One
        >
        >First of all: N1MM's loggin' soft did a great job !!
        >
        >The only problem was that if station 1 was transmitting, the other one
        >could not transmit, EVEN ON ANOTHER BAND.
        >In SSB this is not relevant, because you could log the QSO anyway, but
        >in CW ofcourse there was no way you could transmit with the function
        >keys.....
        >
        >In the loggingscreen I got the error: "another station is transmitting"
        >
        >Maybe the operating catagory is wronge but I don't think so.
        >I must say I didn't try the other operating catagories.
        >Multi/One is 1 run station en 1 multiplier station or am I wrong??
        >Or Multi/2 ??
        >

        >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • G3SJJ
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
          When the rules were initially drawn up only one transmitted signal was
          allowed. This was taken off some years ago now.

          Your inference is correct Pete.

          Chris G3SJJ

          Pete Smith wrote:

          > Depends entirely on the rules of the particular contest. IOTA's aren't
          > totally clear:
          >
          > "Multi-Operator (24-hour Mixed Mode only. Multi-ops are restricted to
          > a maximum of two transceivers, the second station to be used to find
          > and call other stations only if the station is a new multiplier. It
          > must not be used to solicit other contacts, e.g. by calling "CQ" or
          > "QRZ". Any non-multiplier QSOs made accidentally on the second station
          > should be logged, but will be scored as zero points." One could infer
          > from this that two simultaneous signals aren't excluded, as long as
          > one of them is calling a multiplier.
          >
          > I would have gone withe multi-operator class in the software, and made
          > sure no lockout was active, as ON5ZO suggests.
          >
          > 73, Pete N4ZR
          > At 06:05 PM 7/31/2006, on6cc wrote:
          > >Hi,
          > >
          > >I am one of the PB2T/p group that participated in the IOTA test last
          > >weekend on EU-146 as Multi/One
          > >
          > >First of all: N1MM's loggin' soft did a great job !!
          > >
          > >The only problem was that if station 1 was transmitting, the other one
          > >could not transmit, EVEN ON ANOTHER BAND.
          > >In SSB this is not relevant, because you could log the QSO anyway, but
          > >in CW ofcourse there was no way you could transmit with the function
          > >keys.....
          > >
          > >In the loggingscreen I got the error: "another station is transmitting"
          > >
          > >Maybe the operating catagory is wronge but I don't think so.
          > >I must say I didn't try the other operating catagories.
          > >Multi/One is 1 run station en 1 multiplier station or am I wrong??
          > >Or Multi/2 ??
          > >

          > >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
          > <mailto:N1MMLogger-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
          > >

          > >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • DH5HV
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
            My interpretation in easy words tells me:

            One TRX for Running on one band.

            Second TRX only (!!!) for working new multis and nothing more.

            Just place an OP in front of the second TRX who turns the dial 24h for
            looking for new multis, nothing more.

            This is correct or not ?!?

            Jochen

            I wonder how it could be that two OPs are running two TRXs more or less at
            the same rates after a bit more than 6 hours of the contest when the
            availability of multis should have dropped down multi..

            _____

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
              Correct but incomplete, IMO - you also need to address the question of whether the station can have one or two simultaneous transmitted signals.

              73, Pete N4ZR

            • DH5HV
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                Hello Pete

                This is not explicide forbidden.

                There are contests, where the rules say exactly if it is allowed or not.

                But during IOTA I would also say: Two signals are allowed, even on the same
                band.

                If you work the running on 20m CW and you have sharp filters the second
                station may work stations on 20m SSB. (Or another band)

                BUT FOR SURE ONLY NEW MULTIS.

                NOTHING MORE.

                Jochen

                _____

                At 07:43 AM 8/1/2006, you wrote:
                >My interpretation in easy words tells me:
                >

                >One TRX for Running on one band.
                >

                >Second TRX only (!!!) for working new multis and nothing more.
                >
                >Just place an OP in front of the second TRX who turns the dial 24h for
                >looking for new multis, nothing more.
                >

                >This is correct or not ?!?
                >

                >Jochen
                >

                >I wonder how it could be that two OPs are running two TRXs more or less at
                >the same rates after a bit more than 6 hours of the contest when the
                >availability of multis should have dropped down multi..
                >

                > _____
                >
                >Von: N1MMLogger@yahoogro <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com
                >When the rules were initially drawn up only one transmitted signal was
                >allowed. This was taken off some years ago now.
                >
                >Your inference is correct Pete.
                >
                >Chris G3SJJ
                >
                >Pete Smith wrote:
                >>
                >> Depends entirely on the rules of the particular contest. IOTA's aren't
                >> totally clear:
                >>
                >> "Multi-Operator (24-hour Mixed Mode only. Multi-ops are restricted to
                >> a maximum of two transceivers, the second station to be used to find
                >> and call other stations only if the station is a new multiplier. It
                >> must not be used to solicit other contacts, e.g. by calling "CQ" or
                >> "QRZ". Any non-multiplier QSOs made accidentally on the second station
                >> should be logged, but will be scored as zero points." One could infer
                >> from this that two simultaneous signals aren't excluded, as long as
                >> one of them is calling a multiplier.
                >>
                >> I would have gone withe multi-operator class in the software, and made
                >> sure no lockout was active, as ON5ZO suggests.
                >>
                >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                >> At 06:05 PM 7/31/2006, on6cc wrote:
                >> >Hi,
                >> >
                >> >I am one of the PB2T/p group that participated in the IOTA test last
                >> >weekend on EU-146 as Multi/One
                >> >
                >> >First of all: N1MM's loggin' soft did a great job !!
                >> >
                >> >The only problem was that if station 1 was transmitting, the other one
                >> >could not transmit, EVEN ON ANOTHER BAND.
                >> >In SSB this is not relevant, because you could log the QSO anyway, but
                >> >in CW ofcourse there was no way you could transmit with the function
                >> >keys.....
                >> >
                >> >In the loggingscreen I got the error: "another station is transmitting"
                >> >
                >> >Maybe the operating catagory is wronge but I don't think so.
                >> >I must say I didn't try the other operating catagories.
                >> >Multi/One is 1 run station en 1 multiplier station or am I wrong??
                >> >Or Multi/2 ??
                >> >

                >> >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
                >> >N1MMLogger-unsubscr <mailto:N1MMLogger-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                >ibe@yahoogroups. <mailto:ibe%40yahoogroups.com> com
                >> <mailto:N1MMLogger-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                >> >

                >> >Yahoo! Groups Links

                >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
                >N1MMLogger-unsubscr <mailto:N1MMLogger-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                ibe@yahoogroups.com

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • G3SJJ
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Yes Jochen that is how it was meant to be. You can of course have 2 ops
                  on each radio. I think some groups use a third radio as a spotter
                  receiver only, which wasn't the original intention.

                  The Run station will want to move a caller to another band / mode slot
                  so that the Mult station can work that it and then move it around the
                  band /modes.

                  At GU8D over the years we would work 240 to 300 stations on the Mult
                  radio during the contest, ie an average rate of 10 or 12 QSOs per hour.
                  Anything more and I would guess there is some different interpretation
                  of the rules!

                  Chris G3SJJ

                  DH5HV wrote:

                  > My interpretation in easy words tells me:
                  >
                  > One TRX for Running on one band.
                  >
                  > Second TRX only (!!!) for working new multis and nothing more.
                  >
                  > Just place an OP in front of the second TRX who turns the dial 24h for
                  > looking for new multis, nothing more.
                  >
                  > This is correct or not ?!?
                  >
                  > Jochen
                  >
                  > I wonder how it could be that two OPs are running two TRXs more or less at
                  > the same rates after a bit more than 6 hours of the contest when the
                  > availability of multis should have dropped down multi..
                  >
                  > _____
                  >
                  > Von: N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>

                • G3SJJ
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                    I agree Jochen, we used this technique last year. For example :

                    Run radio- Main VFO running 20 SSB
                    Run radio- Sub VFO working 20 SSB - same band/mode mode mults from
                    Cluster or spotter radio

                    Mult radio- Main VFO working 20 CW - same band/opposite mode mults, and
                    yes, the only QSOs should be new multipliers.

                    We did some tests at my QTH and with antenna separation of 50m metres it
                    worked well on 20, 15 and 10m. It was just possible on 80m but
                    impossible on 40m unless you are in another part of Eu (!!)

                    Chris G3SJJ

                    DH5HV wrote:

                    > Hello Pete
                    >
                    > This is not explicide forbidden.
                    >
                    > There are contests, where the rules say exactly if it is allowed or not.
                    >
                    > But during IOTA I would also say: Two signals are allowed, even on the
                    > same
                    > band.
                    >
                    > If you work the running on 20m CW and you have sharp filters the second
                    > station may work stations on 20m SSB. (Or another band)
                    >
                    > BUT FOR SURE ONLY NEW MULTIS.
                    >
                    > NOTHING MORE.
                    >
                    > Jochen
                    >
                    > _____
                    >
                    > Von: N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:N1MMLogger%40yahoogroups.com>

                  • DH5HV
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                      So we agree :-)

                      And especially here:

                      Snip

                      …we would work 240 to 300 stations on the Mult
                      radio during the contest, ie an average rate of 10 or 12 QSOs per hour.
                      Anything more and I would guess there is some different interpretation
                      of the rules…

                      Snip

                      With begin of the contest it is more or less the same rate on both TRXs. If
                      you start the DXcluster early enough you get such a lot station spotted
                      which can be worked one by one with clicking and it bursts the rate on the
                      multistation.

                      But while it´s getting later the rate MUST drop down for sure.

                      I do not know why we have more than 500QSOs less than other island stations…

                      This is ¼ of our total number of QSOs and we had both stations busy all the
                      time. (Working Multis and searching the bands. Very boring for the
                      MultiOPs…)

                      Jochen

                    • G3SJJ
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                        There are many reasons Jochen. Join us at the RSGB HF Conventioon 6/7
                        October near Gatwick airport and we can discuss more.

                        Chris G3SJJ

                        DH5HV wrote:

                        > So we agree :-)
                        >
                        > And especially here:
                        >
                        > Snip
                        >
                        > …we would work 240 to 300 stations on the Mult
                        > radio during the contest, ie an average rate of 10 or 12 QSOs per hour.
                        > Anything more and I would guess there is some different interpretation
                        > of the rules…
                        >
                        > Snip
                        >
                        > With begin of the contest it is more or less the same rate on both
                        > TRXs. If
                        > you start the DXcluster early enough you get such a lot station spotted
                        > which can be worked one by one with clicking and it bursts the rate on the
                        > multistation.
                        >
                        > But while it´s getting later the rate MUST drop down for sure.
                        >
                        > I do not know why we have more than 500QSOs less than other island
                        > stations…
                        >
                        > This is ¼ of our total number of QSOs and we had both stations busy
                        > all the
                        > time. (Working Multis and searching the bands. Very boring for the
                        > MultiOPs…)
                        >
                        > Jochen

                      • DH5HV
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                          Hello Gerry,

                          from Friday to Saturday ?

                          Jochen

                          DH5HV wrote:

                          > So we agree :-)
                          >
                          > And especially here:
                          >
                          > Snip
                          >
                          > …we would work 240 to 300 stations on the Mult
                          > radio during the contest, ie an average rate of 10 or 12 QSOs per hour.
                          > Anything more and I would guess there is some different interpretation
                          > of the rules…
                          >
                          > Snip
                          >
                          > With begin of the contest it is more or less the same rate on both
                          > TRXs. If
                          > you start the DXcluster early enough you get such a lot station spotted
                          > which can be worked one by one with clicking and it bursts the rate on the
                          > multistation.
                          >
                          > But while it´s getting later the rate MUST drop down for sure.
                          >
                          > I do not know why we have more than 500QSOs less than other island
                          > stations…
                          >
                          > This is ¼ of our total number of QSOs and we had both stations busy
                          > all the
                          > time. (Working Multis and searching the bands. Very boring for the
                          > MultiOPs…)
                          >
                          > Jochen

                        • G3SJJ
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
                            My mistake Friday to Sunday 6-8 October. http://www.rsgb-hfc.org.uk/

                            Chris G3SJJ

                            DH5HV wrote:

                            > Hello Gerry,
                            >
                            > from Friday to Saturday ?
                            >
                            > Jochen

                          • on6cc
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
                              > >I do not know why we have more than 500QSOs less than other island
                              > >stations…

                              This is ¼ of our total number of QSOs and we had both stations busy
                              > > all the
                              > > time. (Working Multis and searching the bands. Very boring for the
                              > > MultiOPs…)
                              > >
                              > > Jochen

                              Maybe it's because of bad operators or less experianced?
                              Every year we have more than 2000 QSO's with more or less simple
                              antenna's....The gap in points between the top 10 islandstations is
                              because of more or less multipliers. A multiplier has heavy weight on
                              the total score, especially at the nearly end of the contest!
                              Come and take a look next year !

                              One of the PB2T/p gang....