Re: [N1MM] Need AlfaSpid & Prosistel Testers

  • Gerry
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 24 7:14 PM
      Tom,

      On the Alpha, contact Don VE6JY ve6jy@... . Distributor and big user.

      Gerry
      VE6LB/VA6XDX
      ARRL DXCC Card Checker
      VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
      (403) 251-6520
      ve6lb (at) rac.ca
      www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Tom Wagner" <tfwagner@...>
      To: <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 4:43 PM
      Subject: [N1MM] Need AlfaSpid & Prosistel Testers

      > I got the interface spec for these rotors. Now I need a couple of AlfaSpid
      > and Prosistel testers as well.
      >
      > 73,
      > Tom

    • Gerry
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 24 7:18 PM
        Also Denis VE6AQ ve6aq@... , station manager at VE6FI with a bunch of
        SPIDs. He and JY work closely on antenna system and Denis has a remote
        control set-up of VE6FI including the SPIDs. He's also in the process of
        converting VE6FI over to N1MM.

        Gerry (VE6FI team member)
        VE6LB/VA6XDX
        ARRL DXCC Card Checker
        VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
        (403) 251-6520
        ve6lb (at) rac.ca
        www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

        > I got the interface spec for these rotors. Now I need a couple of AlfaSpid
        > and Prosistel testers as well.
        >
        > 73,
        > Tom

      • n6rk
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
          I just tried to use N1MM to control my AlfaSpid.
          It has the same problem that other programs have,
          which has to do with the antenna being north centered.
          What happens is that if you have the antenna at +10
          degrees and want to turn to -350 degrees, for example,
          the rotor will try to go the long way around (clockwise).
          Many rotor programs want to rotate within the range
          of 0 to 360 degrees. Of course for a north centered
          rotor, you want the range to be -180 to +180 degrees.
          I don't know if the Alta Spid protocol supports negative numbers
          for angle (most rotor protocol's don't). (The Alfa Spid
          controller is set for native Alfa Spid protocol).

          A clumsy workaround is to setup the AlfaSpid controller
          box with a 180 degree offset, and also program a 180
          degree offset into the N1MM program. This sort of works,
          except that now the display on the controller is 180
          degrees off.

          I was able to get TRX Manager to work correctly by
          checking the box "reverse mounted". In that case,
          both the controller box read correctly and the antenna
          swings counterclockwise through north. You have to
          set up the control box correctly to make this work, BTW.
          This only works if you select the Alfa Spid protocol.
          If you program the Alta Spid to emulate HyGain and select
          HyGain in TRX Manager, then it acts like N1MM.

          It might be possible to get the correct algorithm for
          Alfa Spid from the software writer for TRX Manager,
          Laurent F6DEX. He is a very responsive fellow, at least
          when it comes to TRX Manager questions.

          Someone posted something about updated chips in the
          controller. Any details about this?

          Rick N6RK

          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <telwest@...> wrote:

          > Also Denis VE6AQ ve6aq@... , station manager at VE6FI with a bunch
          of
          > SPIDs. He and JY work closely on antenna system and Denis has a
          remote
          > control set-up of VE6FI including the SPIDs. He's also in the
          process of
          > converting VE6FI over to N1MM.
          >
          > Gerry (VE6FI team member)
          > VE6LB/VA6XDX
          > ARRL DXCC Card Checker
          > VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
          > (403) 251-6520
          > ve6lb (at) rac.ca
          > www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

        • Bill Turner
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
              I just noticed that after the first time the N1MM rotor program
              turns the antenna, it leaves the controller box in a state
              such that the front panel buttons ( "<" and ">" ) no longer work.
              This continues even after I quit the program. The only way to
              get the controller working again is to cycle the power on the controller
              box. TRX Manager does not interfere with the front panel buttons.

              Rick N6RK