Miscellaneous Issues in WPX

  • hgrudolphs
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31 8:55 PM
      I used N1MM for the first time in WPX from KH2. It is a great
      program, and almost everything went smoothly. Most problems were
      self induced, but I had a couple of things that were unexpected.

      Was running multi-single and set-up was XP pro, using K1EL Winkey and
      two USB to serial converters, one for keying and one for CAT.
      Following were the most significant issues:

      1) Sent serial #42 was issued twice consecutively on 15 meters.
      Another operator was at the wheel, so I don't really know what
      happened. I don't know how it will be scored, but just left it in
      the log the way it was sent, and kept going.

      2) I thought the "blue screen of death" disappeared with ME, but had
      it happen 4 or 5 times during the weekend. Despite a very ominous
      message, we shut down, re-booted and everything seemed to be normal
      with no lost information. I assume this could have been some kind of
      RF issue, or communication issue with the USB to serial converters,
      but could not really figure out what was going on.

      3) On a number of occasions the logging program function keys and
      the paddle for Winkeyer were generating CW at dramatically different
      keying speeds. Would generally have it set for 24 to 26 WPM and then
      all of a sudden the paddle would generate code at much higher speeds
      (at least 10 WPM higher). Would reset the speed, usually with the up
      or down arrow in N1MM and the speeds would synchronize again.
      Perhaps this was an RF issue.

      I had a couple of other minor things, but these were the most
      significant. I appreciate everyone who called us during the
      contest! We had a great weekend in Guam.

      Harry
      KH2/WX8C
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
        Thanks for the report, Harry - all except the serial number do seem plausibly to be RF-related. USB does seem to be particularly susceptible.

        I am concerned about the serial number, though - to my knowledge, this is the first report we have had of duplicate serial numbers being sent. It probably is the result of some scenario involving either editing the log or some sudden failure, such as those you describe.

        73, Pete

        At 11:55 PM 5/31/2006, you wrote:
        >I used N1MM for the first time in WPX from KH2. It is a great
        >program, and almost everything went smoothly. Most problems were
        >self induced, but I had a couple of things that were unexpected.
        >
        >Was running multi-single and set-up was XP pro, using K1EL Winkey and
        >two USB to serial converters, one for keying and one for CAT.
        >Following were the most significant issues:
        >
        >1) Sent serial #42 was issued twice consecutively on 15 meters.
        >Another operator was at the wheel, so I don't really know what
        >happened. I don't know how it will be scored, but just left it in
        >the log the way it was sent, and kept going.
        >
        >2) I thought the "blue screen of death" disappeared with ME, but had
        >it happen 4 or 5 times during the weekend. Despite a very ominous
        >message, we shut down, re-booted and everything seemed to be normal
        >with no lost information. I assume this could have been some kind of
        >RF issue, or communication issue with the USB to serial converters,
        >but could not really figure out what was going on.
        >
        >3) On a number of occasions the logging program function keys and
        >the paddle for Winkeyer were generating CW at dramatically different
        >keying speeds. Would generally have it set for 24 to 26 WPM and then
        >all of a sudden the paddle would generate code at much higher speeds
        >(at least 10 WPM higher). Would reset the speed, usually with the up
        >or down arrow in N1MM and the speeds would synchronize again.
        >Perhaps this was an RF issue.
        >
        >I had a couple of other minor things, but these were the most
        >significant. I appreciate everyone who called us during the
        >contest! We had a great weekend in Guam.
        >

        >Harry
        >KH2/WX8C
        >

        >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Harry Rudolph
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
          Pete,

          Thanks for the comments. I believe, as you suspect,
          that the serial number issue could be the result of
          some editing activity. In the heat of the activity,
          it was just difficult for me to confirm what actually
          happened. My co-operator had a problem with the log,
          called me over and much to my surprise saw the
          duplicate serial number in the log. We actually spent
          more time discussing what to do about the logging
          error than we did how it happened. We ended up
          leaving it in the log the way we sent it, so it
          hopefully won't be a QSO bust on the other end. Then
          we just continued with the next serial number. If it
          happens again, I will try to document the
          circumstances a little better.

          Harry

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
            Hi Harry - Of course, it would be a bust if what was sent and what was logged were different, but at this point I guess there's no way to know. I have only seen that once in 2.5 years, and it was a bug that was fixed the same day.

            73, Pete

          • Rex
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
              I had an issue with one contact in that the SN shown in the Log
              is 0 ( zero ) it shows in the cabrillo as ( 0000 ) this was
              in between 361 and 362 with N2GC I know he gave me 308 but not
              sure what I sent to him. I did have some problems with MM over the
              wkend but I think it was related to a USB to Com adaptor. Not
              sure but am hoping and have my fingers crossed.
              The program shut down 5 or 6 times and did a re-start and gave me
              the blue error send error report message, which I did and was told
              it was probably caused by a driver. ??

              Quack