Re: [N1MM] N1MM + Microkeyer.

  • Blake M.
    Message 1 of 13 , May 30, 2006
      #2 and #5 stayed with me over the course of the weekend.

      The keying speed was completely wacko, I was riding the speed knob and UP/DN buttons all weekend. Whenever I reached for the paddles they were eother cranked up to 50wpm or down to 25 - I was a lid.

      I was mashing enter repetitively also, always a frantic race to log Q's before CQ or TU msg stopped.... ugh.

      Maybe it's RF related like voice keyer problems I can't solve, as I had both amps on. Is there any way to ground the MK better or something? I've got 1.5" copper strap to all the amps, rigs, PC, etc. It has to be the MK puking on QRO.

      73,
      Blake N4GI

      Message 2 of 13 , May 30, 2006
        Hello to all.
        I was using a Microkeyer too on V 6.4.1 and...

        > 1.keying speed changed randomly not often but...

        I have seen this too, though not often and speed jumps were minimal (1 or 3
        WPM up mostly). I could tell because I always put the speed to an even
        number (28-30-32) and sometimes the speed box would indicate an odd number
        29-31-33 while the speed up/down buttons have a 2 WPM step. I never touch
        the potmeter on my Microkeyer.

        > 2.Microkeyer stopped working at all -

        I did not have this. But I had one time where CW IF would act up. I was
        almost falling asleep and kept 'enter' pressed down for a few seconds while
        dozing off. So the command buffer would fill up with CQ's, but at one time
        the CQ'ing stopped but the rig was being PTT'd. So I woke up from the
        silence, hit ESC and got a warning that the program could not resume because
        of another thing going on - CW IF. I needed to shut down the program and
        restart it.

        > 3.If the paddle was connected to Microkeyer and you played something
        > by hand and than pressed F4 - it did not started as OK1RI but
        > somewhere randomly like 1RI ... or so. Same behavior with other F
        > commands.

        I confirm, this one has been around for a long time. It is strictly
        Winkey-matter because I had it also before I got a MK and was using a native
        WinKey. It has to do with winkey synch or so - if there is enough time
        between sending by hand and hitting a key, it goes fine. Reverse is no
        problem: after a F-key taking over by hand gives no problems.
        For Bug Management Team reference: I reported this at the same time when all
        the weird WinKey stuff was going about with sending random characters, speed
        changes etc.

        > 5.While already calling CQ I press enter to confirm the QSO - program
        > does not respond always - in 50% of cases it was necessary to press
        > Enter several times - very ANNOYING. Often you just press Enter and
        > forget it, but the QSO is not confirmed Enter is ignored - it happen
        > only while microkeyer is going on. Again not RF related I have tested
        > it without power and got the same behaviour. I tested this with
        > versions 6.4.1. and 6.2.12. and 5.12.12. with the same result.

        Hmmm, are you using ESM? It seems not. All this worked fine here with ESM in
        6.4.1.

        > All the rest was working fine... I still could LOG 2654 QSOs - I do
        > not believe it cost me too much QSOs probably a dozen.... I was just MAD !

        2097 QSOs plus a handful (2 hands actually) of dupes. Never lost a Q due to
        software issues.
        Thanks again to those coding it up, those thinking it over and those keeping
        track of issues and bugs.

        > My computer is IBM P-III 933 with Win XP. Should I get some faster
        > machine - will it behave better ?

        How much RAM? That might be critical too! I don't think you'll notice it,
        because going Winkey is taking of a heavy burden off the CPU's shoulders.

        73 / CU de Franki ON5ZO (OQ5M)
      • Joe Subich, W4TV
        Message 3 of 13 , May 31, 2006
          > The keying speed was completely wacko, I was riding the speed
          > knob and UP/DN buttons all weekend. Whenever I reached for
          > the paddles they were eother cranked up to 50wpm or down to
          > 25 - I was a lid.

          Do you have <<< and >>> in your messages? If so, go back and
          make very sure they are balanced and DO NOT EVER interrupt one
          of those messages. The <<< and >>> are buffered speed changes
          and they can really cause WinKey to get out of sync with the
          speed pot ... particularly if you escape out of a message that
          contains the buffered speed change.

          > Maybe it's RF related like voice keyer problems I can't
          > solve, as I had both amps on. Is there any way to ground the
          > MK better or something? I've got 1.5" copper strap to all
          > the amps, rigs, PC, etc. It has to be the MK puking on QRO.

          Get "line isolators" on the cables coming into your shack -
          put them between the single point ground and the place the
          cables enter the shack. In addition bond the shield of all
          your cables to the tower and both the top/bottom of the
          tower and run the coax underground. Without proper decoupling
          of the coax, every piece of accessory equipment in your shack
          becomes a "radial" attached to the radio.

          I have seen even low power RF reboot computers, lock keyboards,
          shut down network hubs and cause other problems if the device
          just happens to be at the "right" distance from the radio and
          antenna if [common mode] current is induced on the outside of
          the coax.

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

        • n4gi@tampabay.rr.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 31, 2006
            From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@...>

            > The keying speed was completely wacko, I was riding the speed
            > knob and UP/DN buttons all weekend. Whenever I reached for
            > the paddles they were eother cranked up to 50wpm or down to
            > 25 - I was a lid.

            Do you have <<< and >>> in your messages?

            - NO

            > Maybe it's RF related like voice keyer problems I can't
            > solve, as I had both amps on. Is there any way to ground the
            > MK better or something? I've got 1.5" copper strap to all
            > the amps, rigs, PC, etc. It has to be the MK puking on QRO.

            Get "line isolators" on the cables coming into your shack -
            put them between the single point ground and the place the
            cables enter the shack. In addition bond the shield of all
            your cables to the tower and both the top/bottom of the
            tower and run the coax underground. Without proper decoupling
            of the coax, every piece of accessory equipment in your shack
            becomes a "radial" attached to the radio.

            - I have all of the above done, except grounding coax to tower top and
            isolaters. Yagis are stacked, some driven ele are insulated and some
            aren't, so grounding them all to the tower in multiple places would
            be "interesting". All feedline is inside tower, though. No other
            piece of equipment (band decoders, filters, stack matches, DXD, PC...)
            is affected by RF, so the MK must be the only "radial" that I have.
            Hate to think that I need line isolaters only for it, but maybe I'll
            borrow one and see if it works.

            73,
            Blake N4GI
            Message 5 of 13 , May 31, 2006
              I don't know how much the Microkeyer does to decouple RF coming into it either through the power supply or through the USB connection, but I seem to recall that there have been some anecdotes about RFI affecting USB.

              There is also a long-existent minor bug in N1MM's support for the Winkey chip. What it amounts to is this - when you start MM, the speed is set by the .ini file, for both canned CW and paddle CW. However, with a Winkey connected, as soon as you turn the Winkey (or Microkeyer) speed control, the Winkey then resets itself (and the program) to the speed that corresponds to the pot's position, between the limits set in its firmware. For example, my program just now started up at 31 wpm as it should. I used PageDn to reset the speed to 15 WPM, and verifies that both paddle and canned CW were sending at that speed. Then I turned the pot maybe 5 degrees and both paddle speed and program speed jumped to 33 WPM. Checking, I determined that MM sets the range of the pot to 10-55 WPM. Turning the pot changes both the paddle speed and the canned CW speed. I don't know whether the Microkeyer sets the pot range differently at startup - if so, that could also confuse things.

              The solution I use is to rely on the PgUp/PgDn keys to adjust both my paddle and canned CW speeds to the caller's, leaving the Winkey speed pot alone. I used to be an advocate of paddle speed being different from program speed, but have concluded that's really unnecessary, and may even be confusing.

              There is another small bug in MM which I just verified. When closing, the program write Cw Speed 1 and CW Speed 2, respectively, for the two entry windows. However, when it reads the startup CW speeds, it reads the speed for entry window A from CW Speed 0. Should be absolutely trivial to fix...

              73, Pete

              At 09:43 AM 5/31/2006, n4gi@... wrote:

> [...]
            • Franki ON5ZO
              Message 6 of 13 , May 31, 2006
                >I don't know how much the Microkeyer does to decouple RF coming
                >into it either through the power supply or through the USB connection,
                >but I seem to recall that there have been some anecdotes about RFI
                >affecting USB.

                To add one about USB...

                I do NOT have RF troubles between 100W and 1kW with the Microkeyer. That one
                just keeps working.
                But I DO have serious problems with my USB mouse from 500W on 12m and 10m.
                It freezes but the keyboard (PS/2) is unaffected and the microkeyer keeps
                working. That's a relief. If the power is only applied for a few dits, no
                problem. If you do long transmissions or tune the amp, the USB port with the
                mouse freezes. Rebooting or faster: putting the PC to sleep and waking it
                up, releases the USB port where the mouse is connected to.

                This only happens when beaming SA or Middle-East and when the tower is
                cranked down and the beam is just above the shack's ceiling, so when it's up
                in contests I am almost free of RFI.

                I have multiple ferrite toroids around the cables at several points in the
                cables, but no go. I recently bought a wireless keyboard / mouse combo with
                a USB RX-hub in a desparate effort to solve this. Quite pathetic: this
                stopped working completely on any band with 200W or less! The keyboard put
                rubbish in every field and the mouse started activating N1MM-windows at
                random.

                But the Microkeyer seems RF-bullet proof, and it's USB port is not
                affected...

                - Franki ON5ZO
              • Joe Subich, W4TV
                Message 7 of 13 , May 31, 2006
                  > I don't know how much the Microkeyer does to decouple RF
                  > coming into it either through the power supply or through the
                  > USB connection, but I seem to recall that there have been
                  > some anecdotes about RFI affecting USB.

                  The microKEYER includes solid pi section filtering on both the
                  power input and the USB power input. Note, however, RF filtering
                  on the USB input is a difficult proposition ... really effective
                  filtering will cause significant problems with the USB data
                  (rounding the pulse edges, etc.). When one uses USB with a
                  laptop (not well grounded) ... RFI filtering can be a real
                  trick.

                  > I don't know whether the Microkeyer sets the pot range
                  > differently at startup - if so, that could also confuse things.

                  microHAM Router "steps aside" when an application opens WinKey.
                  If N1MM sets the WinKey speed range to 10 - 55 WPM when it starts
                  that's what the microKEYER (or CW Keyer) speed range will be.
                  If the user has Router set up for a 10 to 40 WPM range and the
                  pot is at 50% (25 WPM), starting N1MM will cause the WinKey
                  pot to "jump" from 25 WPM to 32 WPM.

                  The is one scenario in which N1MM and Router can cause "jumping"
                  speed. If the user has checked the "Overwrite host settings"
                  (should be: "restore Router defaults") on the Router CW/WinKey
                  tab and N1MM closes the WinKey port, Router will reload its
                  WinKey parameters including Max/Min speed. If N1MM then
                  reopens WinKey and resets its Max/Min speed, it is possible
                  that the "Pot Speed" will change due to the shifting limits.

                  I suspect RFI could cause Router and/or N1MM to "lose" and
                  reinitialize WinKey. The first thing I would do is wrap
                  the USB cable between the computer and microKEYER through a
                  toriod half a dozen times at the microKEYER end ... pick up
                  a two meter USB cable if necessary!

                  73,

                  ... Joe Subich, W4TV
                  microHAM America
                  http://www.microHAM-USA.com
                  support@...

                • ok1ri
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 31, 2006
                    Hi All,

                    I am 99% sure described odditties are not RF interference related.
                    Since:
                    Our "shack" is completely made of 3mm steel- i.e. all the equipment is
                    located inside a well grounded Faraday shield i.e. insulated from RF
                    coming out of the antennas. Since erection of new shack 6 years ago
                    there were no RF related problems observed - how ever I have still
                    added Ferites over all cords ..... nothing happend.

                    I have tested all "regulary" happening oddities - i.e. non reacting
                    ENTER without RF and was exactly "same bad". I.e. operating with power
                    on TRX completely CCW and PPA off.

                    It is hard to test up things which do happen within 10 min to 4
                    hours...(loss of communication N1MM-MK) so I could not relate it to
                    operating on one given band which would than be the case. I am prety
                    sure it happend at least once on ALL bands. ( It did happen to me once
                    during Stew Perry on 160m this winter and 160m antenna is 170m from
                    the shack...) I have not reported it since I thought it was something
                    peculiar, happend once so forget it who knows what it was - but during
                    WPX it happend at least 20 times !!

                    Yes I do not use ESM. I am since my long practice with K1EA addicted
                    to pressing both F3 + ENTER. I can not "live happily" pressing only
                    one button......

                    The major problem is that MK looses "cooperation" with N1MM and you
                    must restart both - again I am unable to present it since I do believe
                    I have not done anything special when the event suddenly and
                    completely randomly occured.

                    The problem with the necessity to press several times ENTER in CW is
                    old - I have first time seen it since we (me plus OK1RF have started
                    to use Winkey - actually OK1RF due to this completely rejected N1MM in
                    the begining saying he is not smart enough for using it later saying
                    only a complete NUT can stick to it). Before - i.e. while we still
                    used LPT keying this problem never existed how ever CW was far from
                    perfect.

                    I had to completely abandon use of N1MM on VHF - OL4A/OK1KIM operation
                    since the missing serial numbers - contest sponsors in Eu are not
                    ready to accept it ! There was a couple of discussion and one almost
                    diqualification from A1 contest by the sponsor in Italy !!!!
                    I do understand it is a BIG problem, but...... We again tested outside
                    of a contest with no RF and what ever we have done the missing numbers
                    occured....
                    While doing the same with VUSC (from OK1DIX=N1GA) and VHFcontest (from
                    S52AA) we were unable to produce any missing serial number. I still
                    DO think N1MM is much better to any of the mentioned programs - but.....
                    Thread I have started almost a year ago, to no avail. I was told that
                    the sponsors do not carre if ser. numbers look like 22 23 24 26 27 28
                    30 etc. This happens only in multi environement. I have not lost a
                    single ser. number in WPX beeing alone.

                    I still think N1MM is the best of loggers, it is completetly OK on SSB
                    but I do not know if I want to run another CW contest with it in this
                    state.

                    I do understand it is complete freeware and nobody cares what I do,
                    but.....

                    I was most happy to read that others had exactly THE SAME ODDITIES,
                    i.e. it would be really strange if RF would have produced the same
                    faults. Also why I do not observe any problems on SSB ?

                    Would buying the K1EL chip without the complexity of MK, transition to
                    USB, its own driver+firmware etc. solve the two basic problems ? (loss
                    of comunication MK-N1MM + many times pressing ENTER) I could live with
                    speed variation, or without touching the N1MM knob.

                    73 !

                    Jiri
                    OK1RI

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 31, 2006
                      > I still think N1MM is the best of loggers, it is completetly OK on SSB
                      > but I do not know if I want to run another CW contest with it in this
                      > state.

                      I know this doesn't solve yours or anyone else's problems, but I say it over
                      and over: I have NEVER lost a SINGLE CW QSO (or QTC in WAE!) in well over 40
                      000 CW contest QSO's since I used N1MMLogger. I just say this because it is
                      the proof that it can be done.
                      I have encountered problems but I always have a safe, known and tested
                      previous version on the desktop ready to install if it goes all too bad.
                      Don't bail out on us please ;o)

                      73 / CU de Franki ON5ZO
                    • ok1ri
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 31, 2006
                        Yap Franki you are right - I have not lost a single QSO, that is true.
                        And there was a lot them well over 50 000.
                        But I have not lost a single QSO in CT too. ( I have lost quite a lot
                        of QTCs there) How ever you are right, I am not sure I would like CT
                        after the experience....

                        I have done reasonably well with N1MM in last years too, I have 2 Eu
                        trophies ARRL SO A HP PHONE, a 2 same ones in WPX SSB, a couple of
                        sigle band ones in CQ WW on SSB etc...+ a lot of #2 #3 some #5 in
                        Eu... Most of it was SSB, but I have to admit I have once returned on
                        CW to CT -but under WIN with LPT keying but.... maybe if to return to
                        CT one must dig out 486 and go with DOS.
                        I still believe N1MM+group will one day solve this problem beeing
                        around for at least 2-3 years. I just got very UPSET after this one
                        contest. My feeling is that a lot of minor not important issues is
                        beeing solved but I am sory I do consider this to be a major problem -
                        I have pressed ENTER on the end of a QSO at least 5000 times (probably
                        7000 times) instead 2654 + a two dozens times for dupes.

                        73 !
                        Jiri - OK1RI

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 31, 2006
                          At 03:55 PM 5/31/2006, ok1ri wrote:
                          >Hi All,
                          >
                          >I am 99% sure described odditties are not RF interference related.
                          >Since:
                          >Our "shack" is completely made of 3mm steel- i.e. all the equipment is
                          >located inside a well grounded Faraday shield i.e. insulated from RF
                          >coming out of the antennas. Since erection of new shack 6 years ago
                          >there were no RF related problems observed - how ever I have still
                          >added Ferites over all cords ..... nothing happend.
                          >
                          >I have tested all "regulary" happening oddities - i.e. non reacting
                          >ENTER without RF and was exactly "same bad". I.e. operating with power
                          >on TRX completely CCW and PPA off.

                          Ok, let's assume RFI is not involved. Have you tried the same Winkey and software version on an entirely different computer, to see if these losses of USB communication still occur? I had a problem for months, literally, that turned out to be a bad memory module that passed all the hardware diagnostic tests but failed in actual use and corrupted my operating system files. You may have hardware or OS problems that are manifesting themselves in this way.

                          >It is hard to test up things which do happen within 10 min to 4
                          >hours...(loss of communication N1MM-MK) so I could not relate it to
                          >operating on one given band which would than be the case. I am prety
                          >sure it happend at least once on ALL bands. ( It did happen to me once
                          >during Stew Perry on 160m this winter and 160m antenna is 170m from
                          >the shack...) I have not reported it since I thought it was something
                          >peculiar, happend once so forget it who knows what it was - but during
                          >WPX it happend at least 20 times !!
                          >
                          >Yes I do not use ESM. I am since my long practice with K1EA addicted
                          >to pressing both F3 + ENTER. I can not "live happily" pressing only
                          >one button......

                          >The major problem is that MK looses "cooperation" with N1MM and you
                          >must restart both - again I am unable to present it since I do believe
                          >I have not done anything special when the event suddenly and
                          >completely randomly occured.
                          >
                          >The problem with the necessity to press several times ENTER in CW is
                          >old - I have first time seen it since we (me plus OK1RF have started
                          >to use Winkey - actually OK1RF due to this completely rejected N1MM in
                          >the begining saying he is not smart enough for using it later saying
                          >only a complete NUT can stick to it). Before - i.e. while we still
                          >used LPT keying this problem never existed how ever CW was far from
                          >perfect.

                          This is the one issue that I think might respond to a faster computer. mine is a 2.4 GHz Celeron, and I literally cannot tell whether I am using Winkey or the LPT port keying (the two are paralleled at the output); I am currently using WinkeyUSB with the Winkey2 chip, but used Winkey 1 versions 7-10 with no problems such as those you describe. Granted, I do not often use packet, and when I do, I use telnet rather than RF with its slower baud rate.

                          >I had to completely abandon use of N1MM on VHF - OL4A/OK1KIM operation
                          >since the missing serial numbers - contest sponsors in Eu are not
                          >ready to accept it ! There was a couple of discussion and one almost
                          >diqualification from A1 contest by the sponsor in Italy !!!!
                          >I do understand it is a BIG problem, but...... We again tested outside
                          >of a contest with no RF and what ever we have done the missing numbers
                          >occured....
                          >While doing the same with VUSC (from OK1DIX=N1GA) and VHFcontest (from
                          >S52AA) we were unable to produce any missing serial number. I still
                          >DO think N1MM is much better to any of the mentioned programs - but.....
                          >Thread I have started almost a year ago, to no avail. I was told that
                          >the sponsors do not carre if ser. numbers look like 22 23 24 26 27 28
                          >30 etc. This happens only in multi environement. I have not lost a
                          >single ser. number in WPX beeing alone.

                          As I understand it, reserving of serial numbers across a multi network is straightforward but "unreserving" a number that for some reason is not used, so that it can be used again rather than skipped, risks a situation where the serial number sent to a station is not always the one that is logged. For that reason, Tom changed things so that on S&P, a number is not reserved unless the operator moves the cursor out of the callsign field (typically, by calling a station). If the cursor is left in the callsign field and the radio is QSYed, it will wipe immediately and no serial number is left unsent.

                          >I still think N1MM is the best of loggers, it is completetly OK on SSB
                          >but I do not know if I want to run another CW contest with it in this
                          >state.
                          >
                          >I do understand it is complete freeware and nobody cares what I do,
                          >but.....
                          >
                          >I was most happy to read that others had exactly THE SAME ODDITIES,
                          >i.e. it would be really strange if RF would have produced the same
                          >faults. Also why I do not observe any problems on SSB ?

                          I hesitate to conclude that all of the reported problems from various stations have the same cause.

                          73, Pete N4ZR
                        • ok1ri
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 31, 2006
                            Hi Peter,

                            1.we have had a long discussion on serial numbers issue... last year
                            forget it now. We will stick (at least this year)on VHF with "old"
                            VUSC-now beeing ported to WIN with the autor literaly over the corner
                            if in Prague ( now works in the US but...)

                            2.What I do want ot solve is CW - your idea might be interesting. I
                            have not tested on CW on other computer since this one worked without
                            any radio interference fine for a couple of years, so .... (Also I had
                            no problems on SSB while MK was involved - so I was not suspitious) I
                            will check with faster computer - no problem. Maybe good idea is to
                            come back to LPT keying and forget WIN key and it is done. As you
                            might remember my station is almost 100 miles from place I live in so....

                            73 !

                            Jiri
                            OK1RI

                            --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            always the one that is logged. For that reason, Tom changed things so
                            that on S&P, a number is not reserved unless the operator moves the
                            cursor out of the callsign field (typically, by calling a station).
                            If the cursor is left in the callsign field and the radio is QSYed, it
                            will wipe immediately and no serial number is left unsent.

                            > >I still think N1MM is the best of loggers, it is completetly OK on SSB
                            > >but I do not know if I want to run another CW contest with it in this
                            > >state.
                            > >
                            > >I do understand it is complete freeware and nobody cares what I do,
                            > >but.....
                            > >
                            > >I was most happy to read that others had exactly THE SAME ODDITIES,
                            > >i.e. it would be really strange if RF would have produced the same
                            > >faults. Also why I do not observe any problems on SSB ?
                            >
                            > I hesitate to conclude that all of the reported problems from

                          • marc wullaert
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 1, 2006
                              je weet toch dat de draadloze keyborden en muizen op 27mhz werken ?
                              er 1 nu nog maar 1 draadloze muis van logitech die werkt met een 2.4ghz
                              hub.
                              73 on4ma