Re: [N1MM] controlling the FT1000

  • DH5HV
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
      The new versions are working fine with the FT1000 or FT1000D.
      The CAT problems of earlier versions have been solved due to fantastic work
      from some guys.
      TNX.

      I agree with you that there should be a hardware defect or even a software
      problem in the FT1000 !

      FT1000s with older firmware than 6.0 do have problems with some softwares !
      I had 5.84 when I got my and the CAT worked with TRX Manager, but not with
      Writelog or CT.

      When I changed to 6.0 all went OK.

      This is the first thing which should be checked.

      The setting is like automatically set (4800,N,8,2) !

      If this is OK, there should be a problem in the interface or the rig itself.

      Jochen

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
        Thanks everyone for the great comments. With the addition of a 1.5k
        resistor in the interface from pin 1 of the 7417 (pin 2 of the DIN) to
        ground, control of the FT1000 appears to be fine. The FT900 also works
        with the resistor in the circuit. Joe, W4TV, knows the history of this
        problem and suggested the fix. There were several very helpful suggestions.

        Incidentally, my 1000 dates from late 1994 (S/N 4E360056).

        What a fund of knowledge there is in this group!
        Tnx agn to all who replied and 73,
        Tony, N2UN
      • DH5HV
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
          Hello Tony.

          But still we do not know the firmware version....!

          Please check it and update to the latest version which is 6.00 !
          Otherwise you still will get problems.

          Jochen

          > Thanks everyone for the great comments. With the addition of a 1.5k
          > resistor in the interface from pin 1 of the 7417 (pin 2 of the DIN) to
          > ground, control of the FT1000 appears to be fine. The FT900 also works
          > with the resistor in the circuit. Joe, W4TV, knows the history of this
          > problem and suggested the fix. There were several very helpful
          suggestions.

          > Incidentally, my 1000 dates from late 1994 (S/N 4E360056).
          >
          > What a fund of knowledge there is in this group!
          > Tnx agn to all who replied and 73,
          > Tony, N2UN

        • ANTHONY JAPHA
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
            Hi Jochen,
            How do I check the firmware version?
            Tony
          • Gerry
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
              With the radio off press SUB and ENT at the same time, then turn the power on.

              The radio will do the "Las Vegas" diagnostic and the last thing displayed will be the ROM version. If it's not 6.0, the CAT will not work properly with most logging programs.

              Gerry
              VE6LB/VA6XDX
              ARRL DXCC Card Checker
              VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
              (403) 251-6520
              ve6lb (at) rac.ca
              www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                Press and Hold the 1,5 and 7 MHz buttons before switching on the rig.

                It "burns like a christmas tree" due to a lamp check and after that it
                displays the ROM version.

                Jochen

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                  Hello Gerry.

                  Not really, this is to reset the radio and both VFOs start at 7.000MHz...

                  Jochen

                  Maybe you just mixed it :-)

                  > With the radio off press SUB and ENT at the same time, then turn the power
                  on.

                  > The radio will do the "Las Vegas" diagnostic and the last thing displayed
                  will be the ROM version. If it's not 6.0, the CAT will not work properly
                  with most logging programs.

                  > Gerry
                  > VE6LB/VA6XDX
                  > ARRL DXCC Card Checker
                  > VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                  > (403) 251-6520
                  > ve6lb (at) rac.ca
                  > www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

                  Service.

                • Gerry
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                    Jochen,

                    You absolutely right! Sorry for the wrong info and thanks for correcting me.

                    Gerry
                    VE6LB/VA6XDX
                    ARRL DXCC Card Checker
                    VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                    (403) 251-6520
                    ve6lb (at) rac.ca
                    www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

                    Not really, this is to reset the radio and both VFOs start at 7.000MHz...

                    Jochen

                    Maybe you just mixed it :-)

                    > With the radio off press SUB and ENT at the same time, then turn the power
                    on.

                    > The radio will do the "Las Vegas" diagnostic and the last thing displayed
                    will be the ROM version. If it's not 6.0, the CAT will not work properly
                    with most logging programs.

                    > Gerry
                    > VE6LB/VA6XDX
                    > ARRL DXCC Card Checker