Re: [N1MM] controlling the FT1000

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1 12:12 PM
      OK, well, since the transceiver timeout default value is 10 seconds, I suspect this says that something is not working properly with your homebrew interface. The fact that the CAT light flashes less frequently is a pretty good tipoff too.

      I am not familiar with the FT-1000 (no D?) but the number of stop bits and the settings of DTR and RTS are two good candidates. Some software may be more forgiving than MM in this respect, and may even detect mismatches. I'd start there.

      73, Pete

    • DH5HV
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1 12:19 PM
        The new versions are working fine with the FT1000 or FT1000D.
        The CAT problems of earlier versions have been solved due to fantastic work
        from some guys.
        TNX.

        I agree with you that there should be a hardware defect or even a software
        problem in the FT1000 !

        FT1000s with older firmware than 6.0 do have problems with some softwares !
        I had 5.84 when I got my and the CAT worked with TRX Manager, but not with
        Writelog or CT.

        When I changed to 6.0 all went OK.

        This is the first thing which should be checked.

        The setting is like automatically set (4800,N,8,2) !

        If this is OK, there should be a problem in the interface or the rig itself.

        Jochen

        > OK, well, since the transceiver timeout default value is 10 seconds, I
        suspect this says that something is not working properly with your homebrew
        interface. The fact that the CAT light flashes less frequently is a pretty
        good tipoff too.

        > I am not familiar with the FT-1000 (no D?) but the number of stop bits and
        the settings of DTR and RTS are two good candidates. Some software may be
        more forgiving than MM in this respect, and may even detect mismatches. I'd
        start there.

        > 73, Pete
        >
        > At 12:49 PM 4/1/2006, ANTHONY JAPHA wrote:
        > >Pete,
        > >Updated to v.6.2.15, but the timeout syndrome is the same as before.
        > >Updating is much easier than I remember. The old .exe is kept in the
        > >folder, but MM comes up as v.6.2.15. I haven't checked yet if I can now
        > >get a spot onto VFOB without moving the Tx focus there. That's helpful
        > >becuz you can check if you can hear the spot before leaving the VFOA
        freq.
        > >Even M/Ms can't hear everything!
        > >73,
        > >Tony

      • ANTHONY JAPHA
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1 3:30 PM
          Thanks everyone for the great comments. With the addition of a 1.5k
          resistor in the interface from pin 1 of the 7417 (pin 2 of the DIN) to
          ground, control of the FT1000 appears to be fine. The FT900 also works
          with the resistor in the circuit. Joe, W4TV, knows the history of this
          problem and suggested the fix. There were several very helpful suggestions.

          Incidentally, my 1000 dates from late 1994 (S/N 4E360056).

          What a fund of knowledge there is in this group!
          Tnx agn to all who replied and 73,
          Tony, N2UN
        • DH5HV
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 2 1:01 AM
            Hello Tony.

            But still we do not know the firmware version....!

            Please check it and update to the latest version which is 6.00 !
            Otherwise you still will get problems.

            Jochen

            > Thanks everyone for the great comments. With the addition of a 1.5k
            > resistor in the interface from pin 1 of the 7417 (pin 2 of the DIN) to
            > ground, control of the FT1000 appears to be fine. The FT900 also works
            > with the resistor in the circuit. Joe, W4TV, knows the history of this
            > problem and suggested the fix. There were several very helpful
            suggestions.

            > Incidentally, my 1000 dates from late 1994 (S/N 4E360056).
            >
            > What a fund of knowledge there is in this group!
            > Tnx agn to all who replied and 73,
            > Tony, N2UN

          • ANTHONY JAPHA
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 2 10:35 AM
              Hi Jochen,
              How do I check the firmware version?
              Tony
            • Gerry
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 2 10:50 AM
                With the radio off press SUB and ENT at the same time, then turn the power on.

                The radio will do the "Las Vegas" diagnostic and the last thing displayed will be the ROM version. If it's not 6.0, the CAT will not work properly with most logging programs.

                Gerry
                VE6LB/VA6XDX
                ARRL DXCC Card Checker
                VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                (403) 251-6520
                ve6lb (at) rac.ca
                www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 2 10:55 AM
                  Press and Hold the 1,5 and 7 MHz buttons before switching on the rig.

                  It "burns like a christmas tree" due to a lamp check and after that it
                  displays the ROM version.

                  Jochen

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 2 10:55 AM
                    Hello Gerry.

                    Not really, this is to reset the radio and both VFOs start at 7.000MHz...

                    Jochen

                    Maybe you just mixed it :-)

                    > With the radio off press SUB and ENT at the same time, then turn the power
                    on.

                    > The radio will do the "Las Vegas" diagnostic and the last thing displayed
                    will be the ROM version. If it's not 6.0, the CAT will not work properly
                    with most logging programs.

                    > Gerry
                    > VE6LB/VA6XDX
                    > ARRL DXCC Card Checker
                    > VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                    > (403) 251-6520
                    > ve6lb (at) rac.ca
                    > www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

                    Service.

                  • Gerry
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 2 11:37 AM
                      Jochen,

                      You absolutely right! Sorry for the wrong info and thanks for correcting me.

                      Gerry
                      VE6LB/VA6XDX
                      ARRL DXCC Card Checker
                      VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                      (403) 251-6520
                      ve6lb (at) rac.ca
                      www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

                      Not really, this is to reset the radio and both VFOs start at 7.000MHz...

                      Jochen

                      Maybe you just mixed it :-)

                      > With the radio off press SUB and ENT at the same time, then turn the power
                      on.

                      > The radio will do the "Las Vegas" diagnostic and the last thing displayed
                      will be the ROM version. If it's not 6.0, the CAT will not work properly
                      with most logging programs.

                      > Gerry
                      > VE6LB/VA6XDX
                      > ARRL DXCC Card Checker