RE: [N1MM] controlling the FT1000

  • Joe Subich, W4TV
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
      Tony,

      How old (serial number) is your FT-1000? FT-990 and early FT-1000
      had a design problem in the CAT interface. As I recall it used an
      open emitter transistor on the serial out line. That worked fine
      for TTL HIGH (+5 V) but some TTL to RS232 interfaces did not have
      enough load to cause the output to go low ... the interface would
      "float" in the undefined logic state between .3 and 3.5 volts. The
      solution is to add a 1.5K Ohm resistor from "serial out" to ground.

      The easiest way to accomplish this is to hang the 1.5K Ohm resistor
      between the TTL input and ground on any homebrew interface. I do
      not have the 2006 Handbook here but if the interface you built is
      the MAX-232/7417 circuit that has been in handbooks for at least
      10 years, I can almost guarantee the 7417 needs the "pull down"
      resistor from pin 1 to ground with any (unmodified) FT-990 or
      early FT-1000.

      73,

      ... Joe, W4TV

    • Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
        I have a late model FT1000D and it still needs the pulldown
        resistor to work IIRC. You can see this resistor in my
        schematic at http://www.n6rk.com/ft1000_cat.jpg

        Rick N6RK

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
          OK, well, since the transceiver timeout default value is 10 seconds, I suspect this says that something is not working properly with your homebrew interface. The fact that the CAT light flashes less frequently is a pretty good tipoff too.

          I am not familiar with the FT-1000 (no D?) but the number of stop bits and the settings of DTR and RTS are two good candidates. Some software may be more forgiving than MM in this respect, and may even detect mismatches. I'd start there.

          73, Pete

        • DH5HV
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
            The new versions are working fine with the FT1000 or FT1000D.
            The CAT problems of earlier versions have been solved due to fantastic work
            from some guys.
            TNX.

            I agree with you that there should be a hardware defect or even a software
            problem in the FT1000 !

            FT1000s with older firmware than 6.0 do have problems with some softwares !
            I had 5.84 when I got my and the CAT worked with TRX Manager, but not with
            Writelog or CT.

            When I changed to 6.0 all went OK.

            This is the first thing which should be checked.

            The setting is like automatically set (4800,N,8,2) !

            If this is OK, there should be a problem in the interface or the rig itself.

            Jochen

            > OK, well, since the transceiver timeout default value is 10 seconds, I
            suspect this says that something is not working properly with your homebrew
            interface. The fact that the CAT light flashes less frequently is a pretty
            good tipoff too.

            > I am not familiar with the FT-1000 (no D?) but the number of stop bits and
            the settings of DTR and RTS are two good candidates. Some software may be
            more forgiving than MM in this respect, and may even detect mismatches. I'd
            start there.

            > 73, Pete
            >
            > At 12:49 PM 4/1/2006, ANTHONY JAPHA wrote:
            > >Pete,
            > >Updated to v.6.2.15, but the timeout syndrome is the same as before.
            > >Updating is much easier than I remember. The old .exe is kept in the
            > >folder, but MM comes up as v.6.2.15. I haven't checked yet if I can now
            > >get a spot onto VFOB without moving the Tx focus there. That's helpful
            > >becuz you can check if you can hear the spot before leaving the VFOA
            freq.
            > >Even M/Ms can't hear everything!
            > >73,
            > >Tony

          • ANTHONY JAPHA
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
              Thanks everyone for the great comments. With the addition of a 1.5k
              resistor in the interface from pin 1 of the 7417 (pin 2 of the DIN) to
              ground, control of the FT1000 appears to be fine. The FT900 also works
              with the resistor in the circuit. Joe, W4TV, knows the history of this
              problem and suggested the fix. There were several very helpful suggestions.

              Incidentally, my 1000 dates from late 1994 (S/N 4E360056).

              What a fund of knowledge there is in this group!
              Tnx agn to all who replied and 73,
              Tony, N2UN
            • DH5HV
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                Hello Tony.

                But still we do not know the firmware version....!

                Please check it and update to the latest version which is 6.00 !
                Otherwise you still will get problems.

                Jochen

                > Thanks everyone for the great comments. With the addition of a 1.5k
                > resistor in the interface from pin 1 of the 7417 (pin 2 of the DIN) to
                > ground, control of the FT1000 appears to be fine. The FT900 also works
                > with the resistor in the circuit. Joe, W4TV, knows the history of this
                > problem and suggested the fix. There were several very helpful
                suggestions.

                > Incidentally, my 1000 dates from late 1994 (S/N 4E360056).
                >
                > What a fund of knowledge there is in this group!
                > Tnx agn to all who replied and 73,
                > Tony, N2UN

              • ANTHONY JAPHA
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                  Hi Jochen,
                  How do I check the firmware version?
                  Tony
                • Gerry
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                    With the radio off press SUB and ENT at the same time, then turn the power on.

                    The radio will do the "Las Vegas" diagnostic and the last thing displayed will be the ROM version. If it's not 6.0, the CAT will not work properly with most logging programs.

                    Gerry
                    VE6LB/VA6XDX
                    ARRL DXCC Card Checker
                    VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                    (403) 251-6520
                    ve6lb (at) rac.ca
                    www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                      Press and Hold the 1,5 and 7 MHz buttons before switching on the rig.

                      It "burns like a christmas tree" due to a lamp check and after that it
                      displays the ROM version.

                      Jochen

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                        Hello Gerry.

                        Not really, this is to reset the radio and both VFOs start at 7.000MHz...

                        Jochen

                        Maybe you just mixed it :-)

                        > With the radio off press SUB and ENT at the same time, then turn the power
                        on.

                        > The radio will do the "Las Vegas" diagnostic and the last thing displayed
                        will be the ROM version. If it's not 6.0, the CAT will not work properly
                        with most logging programs.

                        > Gerry
                        > VE6LB/VA6XDX
                        > ARRL DXCC Card Checker
                        > VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                        > (403) 251-6520
                        > ve6lb (at) rac.ca
                        > www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

                        Service.

                      • Gerry
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                          Jochen,

                          You absolutely right! Sorry for the wrong info and thanks for correcting me.

                          Gerry
                          VE6LB/VA6XDX
                          ARRL DXCC Card Checker
                          VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                          (403) 251-6520
                          ve6lb (at) rac.ca
                          www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

                          Not really, this is to reset the radio and both VFOs start at 7.000MHz...

                          Jochen

                          Maybe you just mixed it :-)

                          > With the radio off press SUB and ENT at the same time, then turn the power
                          on.

                          > The radio will do the "Las Vegas" diagnostic and the last thing displayed
                          will be the ROM version. If it's not 6.0, the CAT will not work properly
                          with most logging programs.

                          > Gerry
                          > VE6LB/VA6XDX
                          > ARRL DXCC Card Checker