Re: [N1MM] controlling the FT1000

  • ANTHONY JAPHA
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
      Pete,
      Updated to v.6.2.15, but the timeout syndrome is the same as before.
      Updating is much easier than I remember. The old .exe is kept in the
      folder, but MM comes up as v.6.2.15. I haven't checked yet if I can now
      get a spot onto VFOB without moving the Tx focus there. That's helpful
      becuz you can check if you can hear the spot before leaving the VFOA freq.
      Even M/Ms can't hear everything!
      73,
      Tony

      takes all of a minute after the download. There have been some tens of
      changes in various aspects of Yaesu radio control since 5.0.92, and the
      program as a whole is much improved.

      > The timeout indicates pretty clearly that all is not right with that
      interface and that version. Please update to 6.2.15 and let us know if you
      still have a problem.

      > 73, Pete N4ZR
      >
      > At 10:56 AM 3/31/2006, ANTHONY JAPHA wrote:
      > >After being off the list while happily and successfully contesting with
      v.
      > >5.0.92, I've run into a problem.
      > >
      > >I'm controlling the FT1000 and aside from a minor annoyance or 2, it
      works
      > >fine. So far I've been using Yaesu's CAT interface. I built a backup
      > >interface described in the ARRL Handbook, e.g. 2006, p.19-41. It
      controls
      > >my backup rig, the FT900 just fine. It also appears to work with the
      > >FT1000 running CT (though the CAT light on the 1000 flashes much more
      > >slowly than with the Yaesu interface). However, in N1MM, it starts out
      ok,
      > >but in 10 seconds or so communications is lost with the rig. The CAT
      light
      > >on the 1000 goes out and the loss of communication is announced boldly on
      > >the screen. I can restart by hitting the button on the MM announcement,
      > >but the sequence repeats itself. After 10 seconds, during which the rig
      is
      > >controlled, the thing stops again.
      > >
      > >Any ideas on what's to be done? I have no desire to update N1MM, but if
      > >something in recent versions would fix this glitch, please let me know.
      > >
      > >Thanks and 73,
      > >Tony, N2UN
      > >

      > >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
      > >

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • DH5HV
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
        Hello Tony.

        Again, what firmware does your FT1000D have ?
        Or is it not a "D"-Model ?

        Jochen

        > Updated to v.6.2.15, but the timeout syndrome is the same as before.
        > Updating is much easier than I remember. The old .exe is kept in the
        > folder, but MM comes up as v.6.2.15. I haven't checked yet if I can now
        > get a spot onto VFOB without moving the Tx focus there. That's helpful
        > becuz you can check if you can hear the spot before leaving the VFOA freq.
        > Even M/Ms can't hear everything!
        > 73,
        > Tony

      • Joe Subich, W4TV
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
          Tony,

          How old (serial number) is your FT-1000? FT-990 and early FT-1000
          had a design problem in the CAT interface. As I recall it used an
          open emitter transistor on the serial out line. That worked fine
          for TTL HIGH (+5 V) but some TTL to RS232 interfaces did not have
          enough load to cause the output to go low ... the interface would
          "float" in the undefined logic state between .3 and 3.5 volts. The
          solution is to add a 1.5K Ohm resistor from "serial out" to ground.

          The easiest way to accomplish this is to hang the 1.5K Ohm resistor
          between the TTL input and ground on any homebrew interface. I do
          not have the 2006 Handbook here but if the interface you built is
          the MAX-232/7417 circuit that has been in handbooks for at least
          10 years, I can almost guarantee the 7417 needs the "pull down"
          resistor from pin 1 to ground with any (unmodified) FT-990 or
          early FT-1000.

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

        • Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
            I have a late model FT1000D and it still needs the pulldown
            resistor to work IIRC. You can see this resistor in my
            schematic at http://www.n6rk.com/ft1000_cat.jpg

            Rick N6RK

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
              OK, well, since the transceiver timeout default value is 10 seconds, I suspect this says that something is not working properly with your homebrew interface. The fact that the CAT light flashes less frequently is a pretty good tipoff too.

              I am not familiar with the FT-1000 (no D?) but the number of stop bits and the settings of DTR and RTS are two good candidates. Some software may be more forgiving than MM in this respect, and may even detect mismatches. I'd start there.

              73, Pete

            • DH5HV
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
                The new versions are working fine with the FT1000 or FT1000D.
                The CAT problems of earlier versions have been solved due to fantastic work
                from some guys.
                TNX.

                I agree with you that there should be a hardware defect or even a software
                problem in the FT1000 !

                FT1000s with older firmware than 6.0 do have problems with some softwares !
                I had 5.84 when I got my and the CAT worked with TRX Manager, but not with
                Writelog or CT.

                When I changed to 6.0 all went OK.

                This is the first thing which should be checked.

                The setting is like automatically set (4800,N,8,2) !

                If this is OK, there should be a problem in the interface or the rig itself.

                Jochen

                > OK, well, since the transceiver timeout default value is 10 seconds, I
                suspect this says that something is not working properly with your homebrew
                interface. The fact that the CAT light flashes less frequently is a pretty
                good tipoff too.

                > I am not familiar with the FT-1000 (no D?) but the number of stop bits and
                the settings of DTR and RTS are two good candidates. Some software may be
                more forgiving than MM in this respect, and may even detect mismatches. I'd
                start there.

                > 73, Pete
                >
                > At 12:49 PM 4/1/2006, ANTHONY JAPHA wrote:
                > >Pete,
                > >Updated to v.6.2.15, but the timeout syndrome is the same as before.
                > >Updating is much easier than I remember. The old .exe is kept in the
                > >folder, but MM comes up as v.6.2.15. I haven't checked yet if I can now
                > >get a spot onto VFOB without moving the Tx focus there. That's helpful
                > >becuz you can check if you can hear the spot before leaving the VFOA
                freq.
                > >Even M/Ms can't hear everything!
                > >73,
                > >Tony

              • ANTHONY JAPHA
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
                  Thanks everyone for the great comments. With the addition of a 1.5k
                  resistor in the interface from pin 1 of the 7417 (pin 2 of the DIN) to
                  ground, control of the FT1000 appears to be fine. The FT900 also works
                  with the resistor in the circuit. Joe, W4TV, knows the history of this
                  problem and suggested the fix. There were several very helpful suggestions.

                  Incidentally, my 1000 dates from late 1994 (S/N 4E360056).

                  What a fund of knowledge there is in this group!
                  Tnx agn to all who replied and 73,
                  Tony, N2UN
                • DH5HV
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                    Hello Tony.

                    But still we do not know the firmware version....!

                    Please check it and update to the latest version which is 6.00 !
                    Otherwise you still will get problems.

                    Jochen

                    > Thanks everyone for the great comments. With the addition of a 1.5k
                    > resistor in the interface from pin 1 of the 7417 (pin 2 of the DIN) to
                    > ground, control of the FT1000 appears to be fine. The FT900 also works
                    > with the resistor in the circuit. Joe, W4TV, knows the history of this
                    > problem and suggested the fix. There were several very helpful
                    suggestions.

                    > Incidentally, my 1000 dates from late 1994 (S/N 4E360056).
                    >
                    > What a fund of knowledge there is in this group!
                    > Tnx agn to all who replied and 73,
                    > Tony, N2UN

                  • ANTHONY JAPHA
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                      Hi Jochen,
                      How do I check the firmware version?
                      Tony
                    • Gerry
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                        With the radio off press SUB and ENT at the same time, then turn the power on.

                        The radio will do the "Las Vegas" diagnostic and the last thing displayed will be the ROM version. If it's not 6.0, the CAT will not work properly with most logging programs.

                        Gerry
                        VE6LB/VA6XDX
                        ARRL DXCC Card Checker
                        VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                        (403) 251-6520
                        ve6lb (at) rac.ca
                        www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                          Press and Hold the 1,5 and 7 MHz buttons before switching on the rig.

                          It "burns like a christmas tree" due to a lamp check and after that it
                          displays the ROM version.

                          Jochen

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                            Hello Gerry.

                            Not really, this is to reset the radio and both VFOs start at 7.000MHz...

                            Jochen

                            Maybe you just mixed it :-)

                            > With the radio off press SUB and ENT at the same time, then turn the power
                            on.

                            > The radio will do the "Las Vegas" diagnostic and the last thing displayed
                            will be the ROM version. If it's not 6.0, the CAT will not work properly
                            with most logging programs.

                            > Gerry
                            > VE6LB/VA6XDX
                            > ARRL DXCC Card Checker
                            > VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                            > (403) 251-6520
                            > ve6lb (at) rac.ca
                            > www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

                            Service.

                          • Gerry
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                              Jochen,

                              You absolutely right! Sorry for the wrong info and thanks for correcting me.

                              Gerry
                              VE6LB/VA6XDX
                              ARRL DXCC Card Checker
                              VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                              (403) 251-6520
                              ve6lb (at) rac.ca
                              www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

                              Not really, this is to reset the radio and both VFOs start at 7.000MHz...

                              Jochen

                              Maybe you just mixed it :-)

                              > With the radio off press SUB and ENT at the same time, then turn the power
                              on.

                              > The radio will do the "Las Vegas" diagnostic and the last thing displayed
                              will be the ROM version. If it's not 6.0, the CAT will not work properly
                              with most logging programs.

                              > Gerry
                              > VE6LB/VA6XDX
                              > ARRL DXCC Card Checker