Re: [N1MM] controlling the FT1000

  • DH5HV
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 31 10:06 AM
      which firmware does the FT1000 has ?

      Or is it no FT1000D ?

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "ANTHONY JAPHA" <tjjapha@...>
      To: <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 5:56 PM
      Subject: [N1MM] controlling the FT1000

      > After being off the list while happily and successfully contesting with v.
      > 5.0.92, I've run into a problem.
      >
      > I'm controlling the FT1000 and aside from a minor annoyance or 2, it works
      > fine. So far I've been using Yaesu's CAT interface. I built a backup
      > interface described in the ARRL Handbook, e.g. 2006, p.19-41. It controls
      > my backup rig, the FT900 just fine. It also appears to work with the
      > FT1000 running CT (though the CAT light on the 1000 flashes much more
      > slowly than with the Yaesu interface). However, in N1MM, it starts out
      > ok,
      > but in 10 seconds or so communications is lost with the rig. The CAT
      > light
      > on the 1000 goes out and the loss of communication is announced boldly on
      > the screen. I can restart by hitting the button on the MM announcement,
      > but the sequence repeats itself. After 10 seconds, during which the rig
      > is
      > controlled, the thing stops again.
      >
      > Any ideas on what's to be done? I have no desire to update N1MM, but if
      > something in recent versions would fix this glitch, please let me know.
      >
      > Thanks and 73,
      > Tony, N2UN

    • ANTHONY JAPHA
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 31 12:39 PM
        Tnx Pete,
        You talked me into it! I'll update and let u know.
        73,Tony, N2UN

        takes all of a minute after the download. There have been some tens of
        changes in various aspects of Yaesu radio control since 5.0.92, and the
        program as a whole is much improved.

        > The timeout indicates pretty clearly that all is not right with that
        interface and that version. Please update to 6.2.15 and let us know if you
        still have a problem.

        > 73, Pete N4ZR
        >
        > At 10:56 AM 3/31/2006, ANTHONY JAPHA wrote:
        > >After being off the list while happily and successfully contesting with
        v.
        > >5.0.92, I've run into a problem.
        > >
        > >I'm controlling the FT1000 and aside from a minor annoyance or 2, it
        works
        > >fine. So far I've been using Yaesu's CAT interface. I built a backup
        > >interface described in the ARRL Handbook, e.g. 2006, p.19-41. It
        controls
        > >my backup rig, the FT900 just fine. It also appears to work with the
        > >FT1000 running CT (though the CAT light on the 1000 flashes much more
        > >slowly than with the Yaesu interface). However, in N1MM, it starts out
        ok,
        > >but in 10 seconds or so communications is lost with the rig. The CAT
        light
        > >on the 1000 goes out and the loss of communication is announced boldly on
        > >the screen. I can restart by hitting the button on the MM announcement,
        > >but the sequence repeats itself. After 10 seconds, during which the rig
        is
        > >controlled, the thing stops again.
        > >
        > >Any ideas on what's to be done? I have no desire to update N1MM, but if
        > >something in recent versions would fix this glitch, please let me know.
        > >
        > >Thanks and 73,
        > >Tony, N2UN
        > >

        > >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
        > >

        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • ANTHONY JAPHA
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
          Pete,
          Updated to v.6.2.15, but the timeout syndrome is the same as before.
          Updating is much easier than I remember. The old .exe is kept in the
          folder, but MM comes up as v.6.2.15. I haven't checked yet if I can now
          get a spot onto VFOB without moving the Tx focus there. That's helpful
          becuz you can check if you can hear the spot before leaving the VFOA freq.
          Even M/Ms can't hear everything!
          73,
          Tony

        • DH5HV
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
            Hello Tony.

            Again, what firmware does your FT1000D have ?
            Or is it not a "D"-Model ?

            Jochen

            > Updated to v.6.2.15, but the timeout syndrome is the same as before.
            > Updating is much easier than I remember. The old .exe is kept in the
            > folder, but MM comes up as v.6.2.15. I haven't checked yet if I can now
            > get a spot onto VFOB without moving the Tx focus there. That's helpful
            > becuz you can check if you can hear the spot before leaving the VFOA freq.
            > Even M/Ms can't hear everything!
            > 73,
            > Tony

          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
              Tony,

              How old (serial number) is your FT-1000? FT-990 and early FT-1000
              had a design problem in the CAT interface. As I recall it used an
              open emitter transistor on the serial out line. That worked fine
              for TTL HIGH (+5 V) but some TTL to RS232 interfaces did not have
              enough load to cause the output to go low ... the interface would
              "float" in the undefined logic state between .3 and 3.5 volts. The
              solution is to add a 1.5K Ohm resistor from "serial out" to ground.

              The easiest way to accomplish this is to hang the 1.5K Ohm resistor
              between the TTL input and ground on any homebrew interface. I do
              not have the 2006 Handbook here but if the interface you built is
              the MAX-232/7417 circuit that has been in handbooks for at least
              10 years, I can almost guarantee the 7417 needs the "pull down"
              resistor from pin 1 to ground with any (unmodified) FT-990 or
              early FT-1000.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

            • Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
                I have a late model FT1000D and it still needs the pulldown
                resistor to work IIRC. You can see this resistor in my
                schematic at http://www.n6rk.com/ft1000_cat.jpg

                Rick N6RK

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
                  OK, well, since the transceiver timeout default value is 10 seconds, I suspect this says that something is not working properly with your homebrew interface. The fact that the CAT light flashes less frequently is a pretty good tipoff too.

                  I am not familiar with the FT-1000 (no D?) but the number of stop bits and the settings of DTR and RTS are two good candidates. Some software may be more forgiving than MM in this respect, and may even detect mismatches. I'd start there.

                  73, Pete

                • DH5HV
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
                    The new versions are working fine with the FT1000 or FT1000D.
                    The CAT problems of earlier versions have been solved due to fantastic work
                    from some guys.
                    TNX.

                    I agree with you that there should be a hardware defect or even a software
                    problem in the FT1000 !

                    FT1000s with older firmware than 6.0 do have problems with some softwares !
                    I had 5.84 when I got my and the CAT worked with TRX Manager, but not with
                    Writelog or CT.

                    When I changed to 6.0 all went OK.

                    This is the first thing which should be checked.

                    The setting is like automatically set (4800,N,8,2) !

                    If this is OK, there should be a problem in the interface or the rig itself.

                    Jochen

                    > OK, well, since the transceiver timeout default value is 10 seconds, I
                    suspect this says that something is not working properly with your homebrew
                    interface. The fact that the CAT light flashes less frequently is a pretty
                    good tipoff too.

                    > I am not familiar with the FT-1000 (no D?) but the number of stop bits and
                    the settings of DTR and RTS are two good candidates. Some software may be
                    more forgiving than MM in this respect, and may even detect mismatches. I'd
                    start there.

                    > 73, Pete
                    >
                    > At 12:49 PM 4/1/2006, ANTHONY JAPHA wrote:
                    > >Pete,
                    > >Updated to v.6.2.15, but the timeout syndrome is the same as before.
                    > >Updating is much easier than I remember. The old .exe is kept in the
                    > >folder, but MM comes up as v.6.2.15. I haven't checked yet if I can now
                    > >get a spot onto VFOB without moving the Tx focus there. That's helpful
                    > >becuz you can check if you can hear the spot before leaving the VFOA
                    freq.
                    > >Even M/Ms can't hear everything!
                    > >73,
                    > >Tony

                  • ANTHONY JAPHA
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 1, 2006
                      Thanks everyone for the great comments. With the addition of a 1.5k
                      resistor in the interface from pin 1 of the 7417 (pin 2 of the DIN) to
                      ground, control of the FT1000 appears to be fine. The FT900 also works
                      with the resistor in the circuit. Joe, W4TV, knows the history of this
                      problem and suggested the fix. There were several very helpful suggestions.

                      Incidentally, my 1000 dates from late 1994 (S/N 4E360056).

                      What a fund of knowledge there is in this group!
                      Tnx agn to all who replied and 73,
                      Tony, N2UN
                    • DH5HV
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                        Hello Tony.

                        But still we do not know the firmware version....!

                        Please check it and update to the latest version which is 6.00 !
                        Otherwise you still will get problems.

                        Jochen

                        > Thanks everyone for the great comments. With the addition of a 1.5k
                        > resistor in the interface from pin 1 of the 7417 (pin 2 of the DIN) to
                        > ground, control of the FT1000 appears to be fine. The FT900 also works
                        > with the resistor in the circuit. Joe, W4TV, knows the history of this
                        > problem and suggested the fix. There were several very helpful
                        suggestions.

                        > Incidentally, my 1000 dates from late 1994 (S/N 4E360056).
                        >
                        > What a fund of knowledge there is in this group!
                        > Tnx agn to all who replied and 73,
                        > Tony, N2UN

                      • ANTHONY JAPHA
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                          Hi Jochen,
                          How do I check the firmware version?
                          Tony
                        • Gerry
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                            With the radio off press SUB and ENT at the same time, then turn the power on.

                            The radio will do the "Las Vegas" diagnostic and the last thing displayed will be the ROM version. If it's not 6.0, the CAT will not work properly with most logging programs.

                            Gerry
                            VE6LB/VA6XDX
                            ARRL DXCC Card Checker
                            VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                            (403) 251-6520
                            ve6lb (at) rac.ca
                            www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                              Press and Hold the 1,5 and 7 MHz buttons before switching on the rig.

                              It "burns like a christmas tree" due to a lamp check and after that it
                              displays the ROM version.

                              Jochen

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                                Hello Gerry.

                                Not really, this is to reset the radio and both VFOs start at 7.000MHz...

                                Jochen

                                Maybe you just mixed it :-)

                                > With the radio off press SUB and ENT at the same time, then turn the power
                                on.

                                > The radio will do the "Las Vegas" diagnostic and the last thing displayed
                                will be the ROM version. If it's not 6.0, the CAT will not work properly
                                with most logging programs.

                                > Gerry
                                > VE6LB/VA6XDX
                                > ARRL DXCC Card Checker
                                > VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                                > (403) 251-6520
                                > ve6lb (at) rac.ca
                                > www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

                                Service.

                              • Gerry
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
                                  Jochen,

                                  You absolutely right! Sorry for the wrong info and thanks for correcting me.

                                  Gerry
                                  VE6LB/VA6XDX
                                  ARRL DXCC Card Checker
                                  VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                                  (403) 251-6520
                                  ve6lb (at) rac.ca
                                  www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

                                  Not really, this is to reset the radio and both VFOs start at 7.000MHz...

                                  Jochen

                                  Maybe you just mixed it :-)

                                  > With the radio off press SUB and ENT at the same time, then turn the power
                                  on.

                                  > The radio will do the "Las Vegas" diagnostic and the last thing displayed
                                  will be the ROM version. If it's not 6.0, the CAT will not work properly
                                  with most logging programs.

                                  > Gerry
                                  > VE6LB/VA6XDX
                                  > ARRL DXCC Card Checker