CT-17 interface

  • becateron
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2006
      Hello,
      just wandering planning to hook up an ic-746 for SO2R in addition to in
      place 756 pro2 on com1. Interface is Icom's CT-17. Agree you can plug
      4 Icoms on the ct17 but how about the com port? In configuration menu
      I beleive I can only set 1 port per 1 radio. Any suggestions? Do I have
      to use a second CAT interface to a different com port?
      Thanks ,
      Fabi ve2fbd
    • Ricardo Graf
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 31, 2006
        > just wandering planning to hook up an ic-746 for SO2R in addition to in
        > place 756 pro2 on com1. Interface is Icom's CT-17. Agree you can plug
        > 4 Icoms on the ct17 but how about the com port? In configuration menu
        > I beleive I can only set 1 port per 1 radio. Any suggestions? Do I have
        > to use a second CAT interface to a different com port?

        Yes.

        you can setup only one radio per port. So you have to use a second CAT
        interface.

        73 de
        Ricardo, DM2RG
      • Ed K1EP
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2006
          Yes, according to a recent post on the list, only one radio can be controlled per com port. You will need two CI-V interfaces.

          At 3/30/2006 11:14 PM, you wrote:
          >Hello,
          >just wandering planning to hook up an ic-746 for SO2R in addition to in
          >place 756 pro2 on com1. Interface is Icom's CT-17. Agree you can plug
          >4 Icoms on the ct17 but how about the com port? In configuration menu
          >I beleive I can only set 1 port per 1 radio. Any suggestions? Do I have
          >to use a second CAT interface to a different com port?
          >Thanks ,
          >Fabi ve2fbd
          >

          >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Andreas Rehberg
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2006
            Hi,

            is there any software that makes use of the Icom bus feature??

            E-Mails und Internet immer und überall!
            1&1 PocketWeb, perfekt mit GMX: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/pocketweb
          • Clive Whelan
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2006
              You simply cannot control more than one radio from a single CT17 or other
              CI-V interface, so the software e.g. N1MM or whatever is irrelevant. Perhaps
              one ICOM can control another ICOM radio, but external control of more than
              one radio, just forget it. Bite the bullet and get an additional CI-V
              interface, but don't waste money on ICOM's egregiously expensive CT17.

              73

              Clive
              GW3NJW

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 31, 2006
                At 3/31/2006 05:55 PM, Clive Whelan wrote:
                >You simply cannot control more than one radio from a single CT17 or other
                >CI-V interface, so the software e.g. N1MM or whatever is irrelevant. Perhaps
                >one ICOM can control another ICOM radio, but external control of more than
                >one radio, just forget it. Bite the bullet and get an additional CI-V
                >interface, but don't waste money on ICOM's egregiously expensive CT17.

                I disagree with that. As long as the software can control two or more radios on a single com port, there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't control two radios on one CI-V bus. You will have to change some options, that is, you can't operate in transceive mode such that one radio will control another. But if the software polls the radios, it shouldn't be an issue. It is a moot point, because no software that I am aware of does that. I do agree with Clive on the outrageous price of a CT-17. Build your own. I build mine for a fraction of that cost.