Re: [N1MM] Fwd: [WriteLog] Maximizing screen use with monospace fonts

  • ve3fh
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2 10:14 AM
      Talking about maximizing screen use I would like to go back to having
      the Section area in the Multiplier window sorted alphabetically by
      state abbreviation. I found the way it is organized now not only a
      waste of screen real estate but it makes it harder to find a mult in
      the list... you know, with the sleep deprivation by the end of the
      contest the call area boundaries in my mind become blurred. Not to
      mention the growing number of US stations outside the "classical"
      call areas.

      73,
      Julio VE3FH

      --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

      > The Available Window and Bandmap do not currently have selectable
      fonts. With zooming, I can see why allowing selectable font sizes
      and types could be a huge headache for the Bandmaps. We have a
      pending feature request for a slash-zero font for the Bandmaps, and I
      think that idea could usefully be extended to the Available window.
      Perhaps one of the mono-spaced bit-map fonts in this message could be
      used.

      > 73, Pete
      >
      > At 06:14 PM 3/1/2006, you wrote:
      > >Thanks for the good info on the fonts!
      > >
      > >Is it possible to set the font for the Bandmap and Avail windows?
      > >
      > >Thanks & 73,
      > >Barry N1EU
      > >

      > >--- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> If you follow the first of the two links, 17 out of the 22 fonts
      > >reviewed are TrueType.
      > >>
      > >> I use Monaco myself; I particularly like the way that the font
      gets
      > >bigger when bolded in my Check window - makes true dupes and
      stations
      > >worked already on other bands really stand out.
      > >>
      > >> 73, Pete N4ZR

      topic=2499.0 is

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2 1:08 PM
        Sorry, but I don't think there is any advantage to an alphabetical listing by state, other than
        maybe screen realestate.

        The current arrangement, states/sections by "call areas", allows you, at a glance, to see what
        multipliers you've worked/need, roughly by geographical areas. This is often helpful in deciding
        what band to be on or which way to point your antenna to get those remaining mults. And, as fatigue
        causes call area boundaries to blurr, they're listed right there for you to clearly see.

        Talking about maximizing screen use I would like to go back to having
        the Section area in the Multiplier window sorted alphabetically by
        state abbreviation. I found the way it is organized now not only a
        waste of screen real estate but it makes it harder to find a mult in
        the list... you know, with the sleep deprivation by the end of the
        contest the call area boundaries in my mind become blurred. Not to
        mention the growing number of US stations outside the "classical"
        call areas.

        73,
        Julio VE3FH

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

        > The Available Window and Bandmap do not currently have selectable
        fonts. With zooming, I can see why allowing selectable font sizes
        and types could be a huge headache for the Bandmaps. We have a
        pending feature request for a slash-zero font for the Bandmaps, and I
        think that idea could usefully be extended to the Available window.
        Perhaps one of the mono-spaced bit-map fonts in this message could be
        used.

        > 73, Pete
        >
        > At 06:14 PM 3/1/2006, you wrote:
        > >Thanks for the good info on the fonts!
        > >
        > >Is it possible to set the font for the Bandmap and Avail windows?
        > >
        > >Thanks & 73,
        > >Barry N1EU
        > >

        > >--- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@> wrote:
        > >>
        > >> If you follow the first of the two links, 17 out of the 22 fonts
        > >reviewed are TrueType.
        > >>
        > >> I use Monaco myself; I particularly like the way that the font
        gets
        > >bigger when bolded in my Check window - makes true dupes and
        stations
        > >worked already on other bands really stand out.
        > >>
        > >> 73, Pete N4ZR

      • Ed K1EP
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2 3:50 PM
          At 3/2/2006 04:08 PM, Ted Bryant wrote:
          >Sorry, but I don't think there is any advantage to an alphabetical listing by state, other than
          >maybe screen realestate.
          >
          >The current arrangement, states/sections by "call areas", allows you, at a glance, to see what
          >multipliers you've worked/need, roughly by geographical areas.

          Except for Canadian provinces. They are listed alphabetically. Having them geographically or by prefix would be a bonus, but I have no idea whether that is trivial or not.

        • W2RU - Bud Hippisley
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2 5:15 PM
            Ed K1EP wrote:
            > Except for Canadian provinces. They are listed alphabetically.
            > Having them geographically or by prefix would be a bonus, but I have
            > no idea whether that is trivial or not.

            Yes, I agree it would be nicer to have the Canadian provinces
            geographically. I like having them run East to West, from top to bottom
            of the VE list. I look at them in conjunction with missing USA sections
            to decide which band to be on, where to aim beam, etc.

            A few weeks ago I asked if it would be possible to move the W0 column
            from the left hand side to the right hand side of the USA call area
            columns, to make it a bit more geographically consistent. I haven't
            looked at the latest upgrades, so I don't know if that has been acted on
            yet or not, but that would be a companion request of mine.

            Years ago I thought of playing with a W1-W2-W3-W4-W8-W9-W5-W0-W7-W6
            layout, but never got around to implementing it in my paper check-off sheet.

            Heck, this is a PC, where anything is possible -- why not have a map?
            Think of all the Easterners who'd finally have some idea of where Orange
            is. After all, it's a SMOP (Simple Matter of Programming).

            Bud, W2RU