Re: [N1MM] N1MM logger in WRTC 2006

  • Steve London
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
      Martin and others,

      The WRTC-2006 competitor rules are really not much different than the
      multi-single's I have participated in. There are a few interesting
      twists, which may require some modifications to N1MM Logger. Having not
      used N1MM in a multi-user mode, I could be wrong.

      For those not familiar with the WRTC-2006 rules, Radio A is the only
      radio allowed to both transmit and receive; Radio B is for receiving
      only. Each radio has its own computer (Computer A, Computer B), and its
      own operator (Operator A, Operator B).

      1) Under WRTC-2006 rules, Computer B and Operator B are allowed to
      transmit on Radio A (controlled by Computer A). I don't think N1MM
      multi-user currently supports this.

      2) With N1MM Logger, does the same bandmap get shared by all computers
      in the network, and is it updated by both Computer A and Computer B ?
      Does this work for self-spotting ? (Packet spots are not allowed for
      WRTC-2006 competitors)

      3) Can the remote call stacking feature permit Operator B to help a Run
      mode Operator A pull calls out of a pileup, when both operators are
      listening to Radio A audio ? I see that the call stacking feature
      remembers frequencies - this could be a problem if it causes Radio A (in
      Run mode) to jump around in frequency every time a call is popped from
      the stack.

      4) There's a WRTC-2006 competitor rule that requires that a computer
      record the entire contest. I would be a concerned about trying to run a
      separate audio logging application coresident with N1MM Logger, with
      possibly both applications trying to access the same sound card.

      73,
      Steve, N2IC (WRTC-1996, WRTC-2000, WRTC-2002 competitor)

      Martin Monsalvo, LU5DX wrote:
      > Hi all: Today, Oms PY5EG, sent an email to the WRTC2006 reflector,
      > stating that other logging software than WL, TR and CT, could be used
      > by WRTC Teams to log contacts during the contest, provided the .cbr
      > file can be properly generated by those "other" logging tools. (for
      > the post contest log checking process).
      >
      > In the case we go there (LU1FAM was pre-selected as Team Leader, and
      > he picked me up as his team mate), we will use N1MM.
      >
      > There are some particular restrictions to what can be and what cannot
      > be done with the second PC.
      >
      > For example:
      >
      > Operator B, can populate the Band Map of Radio A and can eventually
      > Key radio A (but not radio B, which is used only for listening
      > purposes). In a two radio - two computer like these, things are very
      > different than in a conventional Miltie Single set up. So I'm trying
      > to figure out how to hook up everything to get the most from N1MM
      > logger.
      >
      > Suggestions, ideas, comment are welcome.
      >
      > You can reply directly to me if you feel this goes beyond the limits
      > of this reflector.
      >
      > Thanks in advance.

    • Martin Monsalvo
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
        Great explanation Steve!
        I believe some mods will be necessary. I hope these changes can be
        coded in time to be fully tested.
        Regards.
        Martin, LU5DX
        Team Argentina (S522R)in WRTC2002
        Team Argentina in WRTC2006!

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Steve London <n2ic@...> wrote:

> [...]
        and
        > > he picked me up as his team mate), we will use N1MM.
        > >
        > > There are some particular restrictions to what can be and what
        cannot
        > > be done with the second PC.
        > >
        > > For example:
        > >
        > > Operator B, can populate the Band Map of Radio A and can
        eventually
        > > Key radio A (but not radio B, which is used only for listening
        > > purposes). In a two radio - two computer like these, things are
        very
        > > different than in a conventional Miltie Single set up. So I'm
        trying
        > > to figure out how to hook up everything to get the most from N1MM
        > > logger.
        > >
        > > Suggestions, ideas, comment are welcome.
        > >
        > > You can reply directly to me if you feel this goes beyond the

      • Kenneth Silverman
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
          Steve,

          The Remote call stacking really hasn't been used by many people... I had looked at the feature description back in May 05, but never used it myself.

          I came up with some new ideas (below) with my comments focusing on the specific application of a typical large M/M operation that has 1 Run and 1 S&P station, but there are times when the 2nd op should be listening to the run station helping pull out calls.

          Below are my thoughts on how to improve the fcall stacking eature. If you want to work on this, we should pull the discussion off the list.

          Kenny K2KW

          Per our conversation, I have been thinking about how to improve the Remote Call Stacking function, and here is my suggestion (with some help by KE7X). Please realize that I have not even used the current implementation of this feature, so my comments only come from the description of how it works.

          I have focused on the issues of Remote Call Stacking when there is a run op running a pileup, with an assisting op spotting calls into the stack. Some (but not necessarily all) of these features could also be applicable to the regular call stacking feature a single op might use. The stack for a single op may need to focus on different things, though I have not given it much consideration.
          I hope this makes sense, and adds value.

          73, Kenny K2KW

          REMOTE CALL STACKING Specs
          · Create a new window called the Remote Call Stacking window (or Pileup Assisted window, Scratch Pad, etc). (note: Tom wasn't too happy about this, so one possibility is to use the Available window as a dual function window)
          · This new window would have room for 10 stacked calls
          · Oldest call in the stack is at the bottom of the list
          · The bottom call in the Remote Call Stacking window is also put into the call frame of the Entry Window
          · Hit the space bar to pull the call from the call frame into the Callsign Field, and hit Insert or Enter to send call/exchange
          · If the running op wants to call someone higher in the stacked list, keep hitting Alt-Enter to toggle up the stack through the calls.
          · A call is removed from the Remote Stacking Window when it's logged, regardless of it's location in the stack
          · Have an Alt/Shift function to access the Remote Call Stacking Window and delete unwanted or busted calls (can be done from both run and assisting station) (another way to clear a call is to use a mouse to click on the call and hit delete to clear that call from the Stack Window)
          · If a call is pulled into the Callsign Field from the stack, an Alt-W will clear the Entry Window and remove the call from the stack
          · Remote call stacking is set up between two specific computers, not multiple computers. I suggest this since I am concerned about erroneously sending calls to the wrong band
          · Stacked calls only appear in these two specific computers
          · Unworked calls in the stack do not get sent to other windows on any computer (band maps, Available, etc).
          · Stacked calls are only entered in the bandmap or other window when they are logged.
          · The same call can only be stacked once on each band

          One issue I can envision is that the assisting op busts a call, let's say BY2A. But the running op correctly copied and logged 6Y2A, so BY2A is never automatically removed from the stack (as per above criteria). Depending on receiving conditions or the skills of the op, a number of busted calls could clutter up the window in short order, requiring ops to routinely going into the Stacking Window to clear stuff out.
          Idea: What deleting a call from the Stack when any 3 sequential letters of the call just logged match any 3 sequential letters of any call in the Stack? It might not be perfect, but it will routinely get rid of a lot the busted calls.