2nd Soundcard

  • dlsteele78
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 30, 2005
      I'm sure this has been addressed many time,but I cannot seem to get the
      second soundcard working on my Windows 98SE computer. I am attempting
      to set up for SO2V, but not much luck so far.Upon first installing the
      2nd soundcard and loading the drivers,neither soundcard would
      work.After diabling the game ports in device manager,I was able to get
      the original soundcard working,but still can't get the second card to
      work. It appears to be a conflict in the direct memory acces,but I
      cannot seem to find a way to change this for either card.

      Any ideas?

      NT0F
      Don Steele
    • edctexas
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
        Seeing that no one has yet addressed your problem... Dual sound
        cards are problematic in 98SE. I did get dual cards to work in 98SE
        but many combinations of cards would not work. I believe that the
        sound cards need to use a different chip set so the drivers don't
        lock horns. I had a CMI chip on the MB and a turtle beach on the
        addin.

        While I understand it not practical at the moment but you really
        want to upgrade to XP. Dual monitors and 2,3,4 sound cards are no
        problem. No resource issues either. I resisted but after
        switching, I was sorry I held out so long.

        If you do get the dual sound card working, try running the radio
        stuff from the second card and leave the windows noises on the
        default. That way on PSK or AFSK you won't send "boink" or one of
        those.

        Check the sound chips and you'll either find two creative labs or
        two CMI chips maybe your biggest problem. I hope this helps 73 Ed
        KE3D

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "dlsteele78" <dsteele@i...> wrote:

        > I'm sure this has been addressed many time,but I cannot seem to
        get the
        > second soundcard working on my Windows 98SE computer. I am
        attempting
        > to set up for SO2V, but not much luck so far.Upon first installing
        the
        > 2nd soundcard and loading the drivers,neither soundcard would
        > work.After diabling the game ports in device manager,I was able to
        get
        > the original soundcard working,but still can't get the second card
        > work. It appears to be a conflict in the direct memory acces,but I
        > cannot seem to find a way to change this for either card.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > NT0F
        > Don Steele

      • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
          Ed,

          So even under Windows XP Pro your sound cards need to have different chip
          sets?

          Is there some way around that?

          73,
          J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
          201.314.6964
          <mailto:w2ttt@...> w2ttt@...
          <mailto:w2ttt@...> w2ttt@...
          <mailto:w2ttt@...> w2ttt@...

          _____

          Seeing that no one has yet addressed your problem... Dual sound
          cards are problematic in 98SE. I did get dual cards to work in 98SE
          but many combinations of cards would not work. I believe that the
          sound cards need to use a different chip set so the drivers don't
          lock horns. I had a CMI chip on the MB and a turtle beach on the
          addin.

          While I understand it not practical at the moment but you really
          want to upgrade to XP. Dual monitors and 2,3,4 sound cards are no
          problem. No resource issues either. I resisted but after
          switching, I was sorry I held out so long.

          If you do get the dual sound card working, try running the radio
          stuff from the second card and leave the windows noises on the
          default. That way on PSK or AFSK you won't send "boink" or one of
          those.

          Check the sound chips and you'll either find two creative labs or
          two CMI chips maybe your biggest problem. I hope this helps 73 Ed
          KE3D

          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, "dlsteele78" <dsteele@i...> wrote:

          > I'm sure this has been addressed many time,but I cannot seem to
          get the
          > second soundcard working on my Windows 98SE computer. I am
          attempting
          > to set up for SO2V, but not much luck so far.Upon first installing
          the
          > 2nd soundcard and loading the drivers,neither soundcard would
          > work.After diabling the game ports in device manager,I was able to
          get
          > the original soundcard working,but still can't get the second card
          > work. It appears to be a conflict in the direct memory acces,but I
          > cannot seem to find a way to change this for either card.
          >
          > Any ideas?
          >
          > NT0F
          > Don Steele

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "N1MMLogger
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/N1MMLogger> " on the web.

          _____

        • Art Searle W2NRA
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
            Hi Gordon,

            I'm curious why you need more than the MB sound card and one additional
            Sound card? You could use the MB sound card chipset for your windows
            sounds. and one additional sound card to run 2 radios each driven by left
            and right channel of the stereo sound card. I've done that before.

            If you need a single sound card solution you might consider the M-Audio
            Delta 44 sound card (the one used with FlexRadio).
            I've just gotten one and so far it's great. With this one card I can run
            Windows sounds and 2 radios and still keep everything isolated.

            73 Art W2NRA
            > So even under Windows XP Pro your sound cards need to have different chip
            > sets?
            >
            > Is there some way around that?
            >

            > 73,
            > J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
            > 201.314.6964
            > <mailto:w2ttt@...> w2ttt@...
            > <mailto:w2ttt@...> w2ttt@...
            > <mailto:w2ttt@...> w2ttt@...
            >
            > _____

          • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
              Art,

              I'm thinking about a variant of SO2R operation for VHF Contests where I
              might need to have a sound card interface to each of two radios.

              I haven't tried to see if I can run two copies of N1MM or any other program
              and "network" them virtually with separate databases. I understand that
              there are problems when you run two copies of N1MM (and probably other
              programs like CT) against a single database. Some of the operational
              constraints of SO2R can be unnecessary for VHF contests. I usually have
              three or four transceivers in weak signal operations and then a few others
              (not with computers) on FM during a contest.

              Pretty chaotic!

              With the rise of all these exotic weak signal digital modes, I really need
              to think how to share my computers across radios during a contest. Four
              computers, keyboards, monitors and mice is not an option, not because of
              cost, but because of human factors.

              Wouldn't it be cool to be able to have WSJT running and monitoring one band
              while I'm busy on another? This stuff catches signals you can "see" but not
              hear!

              73,
              J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
              201.314.6964
              <mailto:w2ttt@...> w2ttt@...
              <mailto:w2ttt@...> w2ttt@...
              <mailto:w2ttt@...> w2ttt@...

              _____

              > So even under Windows XP Pro your sound cards need to have different chip
              > sets?
              >
              > Is there some way around that?
              >

              > 73,
              > J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
              > 201.314.6964
              > <mailto:w2ttt@...> w2ttt@...
              > <mailto:w2ttt@...> w2ttt@...
              > <mailto:w2ttt@...> w2ttt@...
              >
              > _____

              Craft
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and
              +craft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&c=3&s=60&.sig=YqiuyVwjnQFdynnsmMwVWg> hobby

              Hobby
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w
              2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&c=3&s=60&.sig=VduRJqNqUo9QkUiTI-knAA>
              and craft supply

              Ham
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+c
              raft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&c=3&s=60&.sig=sl_TRqZTiP_WHSLe6P3ybA> radio

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              * Visit your group "N1MMLogger
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/N1MMLogger> " on the web.

              _____

            • Tim Gennett
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                Gordon, I run two identical (and, I do mean identical) sound cards with N1MM
                on XP Pro SP2 with excellent results.

                Tim K9WX

                > So even under Windows XP Pro your sound cards need to have different chip
                > sets?
                >
                > Is there some way around that?
                >

                > 73,
                > J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
                > 201.314.6964
                > <mailto:w2ttt@...> w2ttt@...
                > <mailto:w2ttt@...> w2ttt@...
                > <mailto:w2ttt@...> w2ttt@...
                >
                > _____

              • David Robbins K1TTT
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                  I run 2 creative cards here with no problem under xp. There may be
                  limitations on some cards that don't automatically adjust resources when you
                  plug in a second one, maybe on those you have to use some of the lower level
                  controls and manually allocate different resources.

                  You have to watch out on mother board 'cards' in new machines. The hp boxes
                  I bought last year have bios that disables the mb audio when you plug in
                  another audio card, so to get 2 cards you have to plug in 2 real cards. The
                  ibm box I bought 2 years ago disables the mb video when you plug in a second
                  video card so I suspect it would do the same on mb audio... that was a
                  bummer as I had to buy a second video card to run 2 monitors.

                  David Robbins K1TTT
                  e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                  web: http://www.k1ttt.net

                • Les Kalmus
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                    I have the same problem on a homebrew PC with an Asus MB. Anyone know if
                    there is a way to 'disable' the disabling?

                    Les W2LK

                    I run 2 creative cards here with no problem under xp. There may be
                    limitations on some cards that don't automatically adjust resources when you
                    plug in a second one, maybe on those you have to use some of the lower level
                    controls and manually allocate different resources.

                    You have to watch out on mother board 'cards' in new machines. The hp boxes
                    I bought last year have bios that disables the mb audio when you plug in
                    another audio card, so to get 2 cards you have to plug in 2 real cards. The
                    ibm box I bought 2 years ago disables the mb video when you plug in a second
                    video card so I suspect it would do the same on mb audio... that was a
                    bummer as I had to buy a second video card to run 2 monitors.

                    David Robbins K1TTT
                    e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                    web: http://www.k1ttt.net

                  • Art Searle W2NRA
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                      I've seen this before. Just reinstall the MB chipset drivers. Not only will
                      this work but you're default will be the chipset sound which is what you
                      want for Windows sound and your added soundcard for Amateur Radio. Remember
                      1 added sound card serves 2 radios or SO2V (left and right channel of stereo
                      sound card).

                      73, Art W2NRA
                      >I have the same problem on a homebrew PC with an Asus MB. Anyone know if
                      > there is a way to 'disable' the disabling?
                      >
                      > Les W2LK

                    • David Robbins K1TTT
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                        Don't count on it. on the hp boxes I had to do a reset of the bios with
                        their magic little button. Even uninstalling the added card would not
                        reenable the mb hardware... and since it was disabled by the bios it didn't
                        even show in the device manager to allow you to reinstall drivers.

                        David Robbins K1TTT
                        e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                        web: http://www.k1ttt.net

                      • Art Searle W2NRA
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                          David,

                          W2LK was making specific reference to an ASUS MB and I'm sure he'd be ok
                          there.

                          73 Art W2NRA
                          > Don't count on it. on the hp boxes I had to do a reset of the bios with
                          > their magic little button. Even uninstalling the added card would not
                          > reenable the mb hardware... and since it was disabled by the bios it
                          > didn't
                          > even show in the device manager to allow you to reinstall drivers.
                          >

                          > David Robbins K1TTT
                          > e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                          > web: http://www.k1ttt.net

                        • Don Steele
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                            Ed. Thanks for your reply. I will do smoe checking, but I would guess you are right. Might be time for the computer upgrade I've been considering!

                            Don

                          • Les Kalmus
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                              Tnx Art. I'll try that as soon as I can.

                              73, Les W2LK