SSCW Setup

  • James A Denneny Jr
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
      This is my first CW Contest Setup using N1MM software. Everything
      seems straight forward. However, when I attempt to key with paddle
      or function key I get a solid carrier. I am able to see cw led on MK
      flash but PTT seems to override cw. I am using a MicroHAM Microkeyer
      interface with Winkey on virtual comport 4 and PTT on vp comport
      6. CAT is OK and exchange is programmed ok.

      I should note , cw keying is ok in Logger32 using paddle or
      keyboard. I can also send CW with Winkey paddle when no software
      program is loaded.

      My port config looks ok in MK N1MM template and also matches port
      config in N1MM setup.

      What am I missing?

      Jim K7EG
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
        What radio, Jim, and what version of MM? This is probably a question for the Microham folks first. OM7ZZ and W4TV read this reflector, so help should be on the way.

        73, Pete

        At 03:01 PM 10/31/2005, James A Denneny Jr wrote:
        >This is my first CW Contest Setup using N1MM software. Everything
        >seems straight forward. However, when I attempt to key with paddle
        >or function key I get a solid carrier. I am able to see cw led on MK
        >flash but PTT seems to override cw. I am using a MicroHAM Microkeyer
        >interface with Winkey on virtual comport 4 and PTT on vp comport
        >6. CAT is OK and exchange is programmed ok.
        >
        >I should note , cw keying is ok in Logger32 using paddle or
        >keyboard. I can also send CW with Winkey paddle when no software
        >program is loaded.
        >
        >My port config looks ok in MK N1MM template and also matches port
        >config in N1MM setup.
        >
        >What am I missing?
        >
        >Jim K7EG
        >

        >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James A Denneny Jr
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
          Hi Pete

          Radio is TT Orion and MK router version is 3.0 with 2_4 firmware.
          N1MM says for Orion to turn off cw ptt which I have done but that
          does not help. It is generic in my N1MM setup somehow as I can
          bring up any cw contest and keying problem is same.

          Jim

          --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@c...> wrote:

          > What radio, Jim, and what version of MM? This is probably a
          question for the Microham folks first. OM7ZZ and W4TV read this
          reflector, so help should be on the way.

          > 73, Pete
          >
          > At 03:01 PM 10/31/2005, James A Denneny Jr wrote:
          > >This is my first CW Contest Setup using N1MM software.
          Everything
          > >seems straight forward. However, when I attempt to key with
          paddle
          > >or function key I get a solid carrier. I am able to see cw led on
          MK
          > >flash but PTT seems to override cw. I am using a MicroHAM
          Microkeyer
          > >interface with Winkey on virtual comport 4 and PTT on vp comport
          > >6. CAT is OK and exchange is programmed ok.
          > >
          > >I should note , cw keying is ok in Logger32 using paddle or
          > >keyboard. I can also send CW with Winkey paddle when no software
          > >program is loaded.
          > >
          > >My port config looks ok in MK N1MM template and also matches port
          > >config in N1MM setup.
          > >
          > >What am I missing?
          > >
          > >Jim K7EG
          > >

          > >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
          > >

          > >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • rojomn
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
            It is possible that you have reversed the keying and PTT lines?

            Gil, W0MN http://webpages.charter.net/gbaron
            N 44.082056 W 92.513024 1050'
            Hierro Candente, Batir de repente

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
              Jim,

              I know you said you turned off cw ptt, did you do it by setting the CW Menu item "PTT in CW as" to
              "none"?

              73, Ted W4NZ

            • James A Denneny Jr
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
                I see a potential discrepancy in N1MM setup template for SSCW and
                would appreciate guidance.

                First, SSCW 2005 start date is incorrect in N1MM - easy to edit.

                Second, the SSCW rules state that a proper exchange is:

                "Serial Nr + Precedence + Mycall + Check + ARRL/RAC Section"

                The N1MM Logger suggested exchange is simply:

                "Precedence + year licensed + Section"

                Which is correct? I assume "check" and "year first licensed" are the
                same.

                If the ARRL rules exchange format is correct, How do you insert
                Serial Number in the exchange?

                Jim K7EG
              • rojomn
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
                  It will create the rest of the exchange. It only ask in setup that you give
                  it what it can't know.

                  Gil, W0MN http://webpages.charter.net/gbaron
                  N 44.082056 W 92.513024 1050'
                  Hierro Candente, Batir de repente

                • David Robbins K1TTT
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
                    What goes in the configurer is how it has to be formatted for the Cabrillo
                    to come out properly. For sending the exchange the function key would be
                    programmed with something like "# a k1ttt 78 wma" which puts all the
                    elements in the right order to keep everyone happy on the air. It is also
                    possible to program some extra keys now that there are 12 in each set to
                    work with to send individual elements of the exchange and to ask for repeats
                    of each part.

                    David Robbins K1TTT
                    e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@...
                    web: http://www.k1ttt.net

                  • Tom Wagner
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
                      SS rules REQUIRE that you send your callsign in the exchange.
                      No one here is recommending that you omit the callsign.

                      73,
                      Tom

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 2, 2005
                        Jim, comments interspersed.

                        73, Pete N4ZR

                        At 05:52 PM 11/1/2005, you wrote:
                        >I see a potential discrepancy in N1MM setup template for SSCW and
                        >would appreciate guidance.
                        >
                        >First, SSCW 2005 start date is incorrect in N1MM - easy to edit.

                        Where are you seeing a start date? The only one I can find is under View|Off Times. I don't really understand how this works, but it seems to pick 2100Z on the Saturday preceding the current date and time, and doesn't record it until you work the first QSO. Presumably this means that the proper start date and time will be set after your first QSO in the actual SS, a good argument for starting with a new "Contest" for the real thing.

                        >Second, the SSCW rules state that a proper exchange is:
                        >
                        >"Serial Nr + Precedence + Mycall + Check + ARRL/RAC Section"
                        >
                        >The N1MM Logger suggested exchange is simply:
                        >
                        >"Precedence + year licensed + Section"
                        >
                        >Which is correct? I assume "check" and "year first licensed" are the
                        >same.
                        >
                        >If the ARRL rules exchange format is correct, How do you insert
                        >Serial Number in the exchange?

                        Both are correct; the SS contest definition inserts the serial number automatically. You just set precedence, check (year licensed) and section in the choose contest dialog. Try entering a dummy QSO and watch what happens in the space above the exchange field in the entry window - there are some rules on spacing and not spacing between parts of the exchange to make sure that it parses correctly, but you'll quickly get the hang of them. One of the most important features is that if you don't get the callsign correctly you do not have to go back to the callsign field to correct it - you can just type it into the exchange field.