[N1MM] Re: Backup - a work-around

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2005
      Pete,
      1) I do not intend to travel with access (first I would have to buy
      it!), but I have wordpad if I need to convert ADI tags to suit
      another soft requirement... (you know hw easy it is don't you?)
      2) I don't need something more that what does a line printer, so
      obviously I don't want to back-edit a QSO - either append the changed
      QSO as a new line, or allow to save the ctrl-N note in the text
      file... The first objective is keeping a safe trace of the QSO data;
      nothing more.
      3) Even if it is not ADI (just a comma or space separated) I know a
      few ways around to recreate an ADI (I things tools exist, even to
      recreate a CT.bin )

      To all:
      - I do not intend to travel with 2 computers, so forget the network
      - As said Pete, using network just for log backup is an overkill
      - You have constraints when using the multi-user mode (ie SO2R in a
      contest with serial numbers becomes tricky)
      - As already mentionned, when operating from a DX location, the last
      think you want to worry about is the integrity of your MDB... Even
      from here I had twice problems with corrupted MDB's; once due to a
      power cut (did not have UPS at that time), once due to spots... I
      also had once my USB-stick MDB backup corrupted (thanks to Tom who
      recovered the data). I have also seen several problems with MDB's in
      pro-applications and in office environment, so please don't tell me
      it never happens.

      To make it short, if it is not possible (and I understand it may not -
      or Tom has other priorities)... I'll use something else like Win-test
      (which has this auto-save feature I want) for my next DXped (in
      principle an African CTY for CQWWCW). I will easily sacrify a few of
      the nice N1MM features for absolute log-safety (even if you think
      that I am paranoid!(*)

      Pat

      (*) I would rather call it "field experience"

      --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@c...> wrote:
      > It's in the works, guys. Most likely won't be ADIF, because of the
      problems that ADIF has with tagging the various fields from one
      contest to another, but will be reloadable and current to the last
      QSO. One of the challenges in implementing this is what happens if
      you edit a QSO after it has already been output to the log file.

      > 73, Pete N4ZR
      >
      > At 11:20 AM 9/30/2005, Bob Naumann - W5OV wrote:
      > >W2NRA asks: "Is N1MM logger the only amateur radio program you
      want to
      > >back up? Are you going to try to have each program establish a
      backup
      > >routine for you? Will they? I doubt it. It is our
      responsibility to
      > >back up our PC data or suffer the consequences. "
      > >
      > >Art;
      > >
      > >My answer to this, and I think Patrick's would be the same, is
      that
      > >N1MM is the only one of them I am entrusting with contest logs.
      > >
      > >What Patrick says is quite true that if you back up a corrupted
      file,
      > >the backup will be corrupted also.
      > >
      > >Perhaps something simple should be considered.
      > >
      > >Even if N1MM could write out an ASCII record for each QSO to a
      file in
      > >append mode, formatted only for N1MM to read back in, that would
      be
      > >fine.
      > >
      > >All that said, I am very impressed with the lack of problems I
      have
      > >seen with N1MM and MDB files. I was an Access user when it first
      came
      > >out years ago, and there were times when it was much less stable
      than
      > >it obviously is now.
      > >
      > >So, from my perspective, this is not a critical issue at this
      time, but
      > >it sure would be a "nice to have" option to write out some sort of
      QSO
      > >by QSO ASCII file.
      > >
      > >73,
      > >Bob Naumann - W5OV
    • Clive Whelan
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2005
        If my shack is struck by an alien spacecraft, none of this will help. Should
        I be worried about this?

        73

        Clive
        GW3NJW