Re: [N1MM] Re: Backup - a work-around

  • Bob Naumann - W5OV
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 30, 2005
      W2NRA asks: "Is N1MM logger the only amateur radio program you want to
      back up? Are you going to try to have each program establish a backup
      routine for you? Will they? I doubt it. It is our responsibility to
      back up our PC data or suffer the consequences. "

      Art;

      My answer to this, and I think Patrick's would be the same, is that
      N1MM is the only one of them I am entrusting with contest logs.

      What Patrick says is quite true that if you back up a corrupted file,
      the backup will be corrupted also.

      Perhaps something simple should be considered.

      Even if N1MM could write out an ASCII record for each QSO to a file in
      append mode, formatted only for N1MM to read back in, that would be
      fine.

      All that said, I am very impressed with the lack of problems I have
      seen with N1MM and MDB files. I was an Access user when it first came
      out years ago, and there were times when it was much less stable than
      it obviously is now.

      So, from my perspective, this is not a critical issue at this time, but
      it sure would be a "nice to have" option to write out some sort of QSO
      by QSO ASCII file.

      73,
      Bob Naumann - W5OV
    • Terry Gerdes
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 30, 2005
        Hi all,

        I do not consider a MDB file to be unsafe. The same scheme of writing to a
        MDB that's built into N1MM has also been used in AR-Cluster since back in
        the mid 90's. Its a solid well proven database that works well and I have
        tested it to over one million records. If you see a corrupt MDB file its
        most likely due to power glitches or a failing hard drive. A UPS or laptop
        with a good battery will help with power glitches.

        73 Terry - AB5K

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 30, 2005
          It's in the works, guys. Most likely won't be ADIF, because of the problems that ADIF has with tagging the various fields from one contest to another, but will be reloadable and current to the last QSO. One of the challenges in implementing this is what happens if you edit a QSO after it has already been output to the log file.

          73, Pete N4ZR

          At 11:20 AM 9/30/2005, Bob Naumann - W5OV wrote:
          >W2NRA asks: "Is N1MM logger the only amateur radio program you want to
          >back up? Are you going to try to have each program establish a backup
          >routine for you? Will they? I doubt it. It is our responsibility to
          >back up our PC data or suffer the consequences. "
          >
          >Art;
          >
          >My answer to this, and I think Patrick's would be the same, is that
          >N1MM is the only one of them I am entrusting with contest logs.
          >
          >What Patrick says is quite true that if you back up a corrupted file,
          >the backup will be corrupted also.
          >
          >Perhaps something simple should be considered.
          >
          >Even if N1MM could write out an ASCII record for each QSO to a file in
          >append mode, formatted only for N1MM to read back in, that would be
          >fine.
          >
          >All that said, I am very impressed with the lack of problems I have
          >seen with N1MM and MDB files. I was an Access user when it first came
          >out years ago, and there were times when it was much less stable than
          >it obviously is now.
          >
          >So, from my perspective, this is not a critical issue at this time, but
          >it sure would be a "nice to have" option to write out some sort of QSO
          >by QSO ASCII file.
          >
          >73,
          >Bob Naumann - W5OV
        • Kenneth Silverman
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 30, 2005
            Pete,

            If the backup is done every hour or so, then it will mitigate that problem. Maybe make the backup interval user definable?

            Kenny

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 30, 2005
              I have a simple 1-line backup script running under Windows Scheduled Tasks that backs up my active .mdb file every x minutes. It flashes a command prompt window on the screen for less than a second to back up 3 MB to a USB 2.0 stick. However, what Patrick is campaigning for is a backup after every QSO that is not dependent on the integrity of the .mdb file at the moment the backup occurs. He is a lot more worried about that than I am, but as I said, it's in the works.

              It *would* seem to make sense to me to have the program automatically do a backup of the current .mdb file whenever a command like a rescore is chosen, but one could equally argue that users should probably know better than to do any untested surgery on their "live" databases unless they have done a backup first themselves.

              73, Pete

              At 01:16 PM 9/30/2005, Kenneth Silverman wrote:
              >Pete,
              >
              >If the backup is done every hour or so, then it will mitigate that problem. Maybe make the backup interval user definable?
              >
              >Kenny
              >

              >Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:
              >It's in the works, guys. Most likely won't be ADIF, because of the problems that ADIF has with tagging the various fields from one contest to another, but will be reloadable and current to the last QSO. One of the challenges in implementing this is what happens if you edit a QSO after it has already been output to the log file.
              >
              >73, Pete N4ZR
              >
              >At 11:20 AM 9/30/2005, Bob Naumann - W5OV wrote:
              >>W2NRA asks: "Is N1MM logger the only amateur radio program you want to
              >>back up? Are you going to try to have each program establish a backup
              >>routine for you? Will they? I doubt it. It is our responsibility to
              >>back up our PC data or suffer the consequences. "
              >>
              >>Art;
              >>
              >>My answer to this, and I think Patrick's would be the same, is that
              >>N1MM is the only one of them I am entrusting with contest logs.
              >>
              >>What Patrick says is quite true that if you back up a corrupted file,
              >>the backup will be corrupted also.
              >>
              >>Perhaps something simple should be considered.
              >>
              >>Even if N1MM could write out an ASCII record for each QSO to a file in
              >>append mode, formatted only for N1MM to read back in, that would be
              >>fine.
              >>
              >>All that said, I am very impressed with the lack of problems I have
              >>seen with N1MM and MDB files. I was an Access user when it first came
              >>out years ago, and there were times when it was much less stable than
              >>it obviously is now.
              >>
              >>So, from my perspective, this is not a critical issue at this time, but
              >>it sure would be a "nice to have" option to write out some sort of QSO
              >>by QSO ASCII file.
              >>
              >>73,
              >>Bob Naumann - W5OV
              >

              >To unsubscribe, send an email to:

              >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Les Kalmus
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 30, 2005
                Pete,

                How about sharing your backup script.

                73, Les W2LK

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 30, 2005
                  Ready for this? It's really deep!

                  XCOPY "c:\program files\MM Beta\test.mdb" F:\MM /D/Y/R

                  The intervals for the backup are set in the Scheduled Tasks Accessory under Windows.

                  73, Pete

                • Ian White G/GM3SEK
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 30, 2005
                    Pete Smith wrote:
                    >It's in the works, guys. Most likely won't be ADIF, because of the
                    >problems that ADIF has with tagging the various fields from one contest
                    >to another, but will be reloadable and current to the last QSO.
                    >One of the challenges in implementing this is what happens if you edit
                    >a QSO after it has already been output to the log file.

                    Let's keep this problem in perspective: between them, Access and Tom
                    have done a very good job of ensuring that the main Access database does
                    remain uncorrupted, and that the log file is totally recoverable in the
                    event of a program or a system crash.

                    If the proposed "KISS" backup log is intended only for the very rare
                    occasions when the main Access database has become corrupted, then the
                    loss of a few edited QSOs would be the very least of the problems.

                    .. provided that the log file is physically undamaged on the disk. If
                    we're going to have protection against rare events, then it should
                    include the option to keep an automatic image of the main mdb file on
                    another drive, a memory stick, or better still another networked
                    machine.

                    However, there is another important chunk of information that currently
                    is not protected at all: the bandmaps.

                    I don't mean the public spots downloaded from the DXcluster - those are
                    easy to replace. Much more important is the information you have built
                    up for yourself, based on your own QSOs and notes of stations heard but
                    not worked yet. That is very valuable information, second only to the
                    log itself, and it hurts to lose it.

                    Again it isn't necessary to sweat for the very latest details to be
                    recorded, but it would be good to have available bandmap data cached at
                    intervals of say 5-10 minutes. At startup, the program could check the
                    time-stamp of the cache file, and if it is recent enough to be of any
                    value, use it to repopulate the bandmap.

                    --
                    73 from Ian G/GM3SEK
                  • Tom Osborne
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 30, 2005
                      Hi Pete.
                      I know how to do this in DOS, but where do you go to type in the line with
                      XP? Bring the computer up to the command prompt then type it in there?
                      Thanks
                      Tom W7WHY

                    • Bill Coleman N2BC
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 30, 2005
                        Open a DOS window... Under Accessories, "Command Prompt"
                        > I know how to do this in DOS, but where do you go to type in the line with
                        > XP? Bring the computer up to the command prompt then type it in there?
                        > Thanks
                        > Tom W7WHY
                        >

                        >> Ready for this? It's really deep!
                        >>
                        >> XCOPY "c:\program files\MM Beta\test.mdb" F:\MM /D/Y/R
                        >>
                        >> The intervals for the backup are set in the Scheduled Tasks Accessory
                        >> under Windows.
                        >>
                        >> 73, Pete
                        >>
                        >> At 02:12 PM 9/30/2005, you wrote:
                        >>>Pete,
                        >>>
                        >>>How about sharing your backup script.
                        >>>
                        >>>73, Les W2LK

                      • Art RX9TX
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 30, 2005
                          Hello Tom,

                          Saturday, October 1, 2005 Tom Osborne wrote to N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com:

                          TO> I know how to do this in DOS, but where do you go to type in the line with
                          TO> XP? Bring the computer up to the command prompt then type it in there?

                          Nope. The easiest way is to create an icon, go to its properties and
                          put that line in there.

                          --
                          73...Art RX9TX 01-Oct-05 03:15 UTC

                          http://rx9tx.qrz.ru

                          "Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free."
                        • Tom Osborne
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 30, 2005
                            Thanks Bill
                            Tom W7WHY

                            > Open a DOS window... Under Accessories, "Command Prompt"

                          • Patrick
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 1, 2005
                              Pete,
                              1) I do not intend to travel with access (first I would have to buy
                              it!), but I have wordpad if I need to convert ADI tags to suit
                              another soft requirement... (you know hw easy it is don't you?)
                              2) I don't need something more that what does a line printer, so
                              obviously I don't want to back-edit a QSO - either append the changed
                              QSO as a new line, or allow to save the ctrl-N note in the text
                              file... The first objective is keeping a safe trace of the QSO data;
                              nothing more.
                              3) Even if it is not ADI (just a comma or space separated) I know a
                              few ways around to recreate an ADI (I things tools exist, even to
                              recreate a CT.bin )

                              To all:
                              - I do not intend to travel with 2 computers, so forget the network
                              - As said Pete, using network just for log backup is an overkill
                              - You have constraints when using the multi-user mode (ie SO2R in a
                              contest with serial numbers becomes tricky)
                              - As already mentionned, when operating from a DX location, the last
                              think you want to worry about is the integrity of your MDB... Even
                              from here I had twice problems with corrupted MDB's; once due to a
                              power cut (did not have UPS at that time), once due to spots... I
                              also had once my USB-stick MDB backup corrupted (thanks to Tom who
                              recovered the data). I have also seen several problems with MDB's in
                              pro-applications and in office environment, so please don't tell me
                              it never happens.

                              To make it short, if it is not possible (and I understand it may not -
                              or Tom has other priorities)... I'll use something else like Win-test
                              (which has this auto-save feature I want) for my next DXped (in
                              principle an African CTY for CQWWCW). I will easily sacrify a few of
                              the nice N1MM features for absolute log-safety (even if you think
                              that I am paranoid!(*)

                              Pat

                              (*) I would rather call it "field experience"

                            • Clive Whelan
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 1, 2005
                                If my shack is struck by an alien spacecraft, none of this will help. Should
                                I be worried about this?

                                73

                                Clive
                                GW3NJW