Backup - a work-around

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
      As a hedge against Tom's workload constraints and any programming risks involved in adding a journaling capability before the big contests this fall, MM users might want to consider using the Scheduled Tasks function of Windows to implement an automated backup of the current MM .mdb database file.

      A batch file with a command like:

      Xcopy "C:\Program Files\N1MM Logger\[database name].mdb" "D:\Backup\" /Y/R

      could be run every 5 minutes or so by the Task Scheduler without operator intervention. I just tried it using Windows XP Run command and a 3 meg .mdb file that was currently in use by MM, and the file copied in less than a second to a USB 2.0 memory stick.

      At first blush, this would not seem to meet Pat's needs, because the file is overwritten each time. However, if you ponder on it a bit, I think you'll agree that it would take a VERY nasty coincidence to corrupt both the running database file and the copy that is periodically written and then closed on a removable medium.

      If you want info on the switches, go to the Command Prompt and enter "Xcopy /?"

      73, Pete N4ZR
      The World HF Contest Station Database
      was updated on 18 August 2005
      2988 contest stations at
      www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm
    • Patrick
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
        Pete,
        It is fine (I am using this for 1 year) but you seem to miss my main
        point: a MDB is something intrinsically unsafe, and backing-up a
        corrupted MDB will result in a corrupted backup.

        I am concerned by data integrity and safety for ex. in DX-ped
        environment. But even in a network environment: you have never seen a
        virus affecting an ADI file, do you?

        -- some basic recommendations you can find in many places---
        Take a close look at your virus-checking software. Any kind of TSR
        style "real time" virus checking can cause corruption in all kinds of
        files, Access more than any other. If you have a real-time monitor on
        your network, disable scanning of MDB files. Do remember though, MDB
        files are a good spot for virus writers looking to hide malicious
        code, so scan anything that comes into your network before letting it
        loose on your users.

        --- In N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@c...> wrote:
        > As a hedge against Tom's workload constraints and any programming
        risks involved in adding a journaling capability before the big
        contests this fall, MM users might want to consider using the
        Scheduled Tasks function of Windows to implement an automated backup
        of the current MM .mdb database file.

        > A batch file with a command like:
        >
        > Xcopy "C:\Program Files\N1MM Logger\[database
        name].mdb" "D:\Backup\" /Y/R

        > could be run every 5 minutes or so by the Task Scheduler without
        operator intervention. I just tried it using Windows XP Run command
        and a 3 meg .mdb file that was currently in use by MM, and the file
        copied in less than a second to a USB 2.0 memory stick.

        > At first blush, this would not seem to meet Pat's needs, because
        the file is overwritten each time. However, if you ponder on it a
        bit, I think you'll agree that it would take a VERY nasty coincidence
        to corrupt both the running database file and the copy that is
        periodically written and then closed on a removable medium.

        > If you want info on the switches, go to the Command Prompt and
        enter "Xcopy /?"

        > 73, Pete N4ZR
        > The World HF Contest Station Database
        > was updated on 18 August 2005
        > 2988 contest stations at
        > www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm
      • Dallas and Lucy
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
          Depends Clive, how far are you from Stone Hinge?

          73, Dallas W3PP

          If my shack is struck by an alien spacecraft, none of this will help. Should
          I be worried about this?

          73

          Clive
          GW3NJW