QSO Parties

  • bboerner@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 26, 2001
      Is there planned support for these? It says please do not use. I
      really enjoyed participating in these light weight contests.

      On a side note, are there searchable archives to this list? I sure
      would rather search than bother. :)

      -bmb
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 18, 2006
        Sorry to report that I misled people yesterday. In setting up to test as if I was in California, I failed to enter a proper California section in my station data, which was why it appeared to work as if I was outside of CA.

        The new release, currently on the web site, appears to work properly in all the QSO parties I have tried, whether I configure as in-state or out-of-state. If you have a favorite QP, please test it and let me know about any discrepancies.
        It also fixes the problem with CQWW 160 state and province abbreviations, reported yesterday.

        73, Pete N4ZR
        The World HF Contest Station Database
        Full details on 3085 contest stations
        at http://www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm
      • jimk8mr@...
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 9 11:15 AM
          I tried to set up for a few qsos in the Wisconsin QSO party. Selecting QSO Party, I get only AK, AL, and AR in the state drop down list. I can pick any of these, but can't scroll any further down the presumed list.

          Version 13.2.2.

          ???

          73  -  Jim   K8MR
        • Dan Kovatch
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 9 1:13 PM
            Jim. works for me with version 13.12.0 you might want to revert if it’s a flaw.

            Dan “CAR

            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 9 1:25 PM
              Using 14.2.0 here and I can scroll down to the WI parts just fine.
              OK, back in my hole,

              Ron, KU7Y
              Northern California Contest Club
              CWOps #1211
              ku7y@...
              http:\\www.hatpinsandmore.com

              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 9 3:38 PM
                Jim,

                There was never a program bug which caused this problem.

                You could have corrupted the QSO Party database by manually importing a
                non-standard or modified county file.

                Let us know if the problem disappears after upgrading to the latest program
                release.

                John, K3CT

                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 9 8:24 PM
                  I have a QSO Party related question.

                  I'm reviewing my Wisconsin QSO party score and trying to determine the second multiplier column in the log.

                  For some reason my first contact in the log says "yes" for Mult2.  I've searched the rules and also the N1MM site.  N1MM is giving me another multiplier that I don't understand and trying to determine where it's coming from.  Worse comes to worse I'll manually override it and remove that muliplier.  Any thoughts on this?  Thanks.

                  Scott, KB0KFX
                • John Bednar
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 10 3:43 AM
                    Scott,

                    You need to include the first county worked as a county and a WI state
                    multiplier.

                    John, K3CT

                    MULTIPLIERS

                    Wisconsin Stations: The sum of Wisconsin counties (max. 72), plus US states
                    (max. 50) plus Canadian provinces (max. 13) worked. Wisconsin may be counted
                    as a state multiplier. DX countries worked count for QSO points but not as
                    multipliers.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 10 7:28 AM
                      Thank you.  Rereading the statement you pasted on multipliers it makes sense.  I missed the nitty gritty details rules.  Slightly embarrassed.  :)

                      But it wasn't clear to me from a N1MM tool point of view of what the extra column was for.  Now I do....I need to count WI as a multiplier.  It seems the column Mult2 would never be used for anything else except for that one contact.  I did read in the N1MM documentation some states have bonus stations and I suppose Mult2 could be used for that.

                      Scott, KB0KFX
                    • John Bednar
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 10 7:53 AM
                        Scott,

                        No, there is a difference between Multipliers, QSO points, and bonus points added to the final score points.

                        John, K3CT

                        On 03/10/14, szastoupil@... wrote:

                        Thank you. Rereading the statement you pasted on multipliers it makes sense. I missed the nitty gritty details rules. Slightly embarrassed. :)

                        But it wasn't clear to me from a N1MM tool point of view of what the extra column was for. Now I do....I need to count WI as a multiplier. It seems the column Mult2 would never be used for anything else except for that one contact. I did read in the N1MM documentation some states have bonus stations and I suppose Mult2 could be used for that.

                        Scott, KB0KFX
                      • Robert Chudek - K0RC
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 10 10:28 AM
                          Beyond what John, K3CT, has told you about the Mult2 entry, there is something else you need to keep in mind.

                          NEVER remove a QSO from your log if you actually worked that station and you are sending your log in to the contest sponsor for processing. That is because if you remove the QSO, the other station will get a Not-In-Log (NIL) penalty for that QSO. That is because there will no longer be a matching entry in your log during the cross-checking validation.

                          It's a best practice, as you have done, to ask a question about something that appears "strange" to you. Occasionally a legitimate issue will be discovered and that can be address for ALL contest participants.

                          For example, I noticed the Start Date for the WiQP was programmed as Saturday, March 8th. It should be Sunday, March 9th. In that case, the "Off Times" calculation does not calculate properly. (N1MM Logger Version 4.2.1).

                          73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

                          On 3/9/2014 10:24 PM, szastoupil@... wrote:

                          I'm reviewing my Wisconsin QSO party score and trying to determine the second multiplier column in the log.

                          For some reason my first contact in the log says "yes" for Mult2.  I've searched the rules and also the N1MM site.  N1MM is giving me another multiplier that I don't understand and trying to determine where it's coming from.  Worse comes to worse I'll manually override it and remove that muliplier.  Any thoughts on this?  Thanks.

                          Scott, KB0KFX

                        • Hank Greeb
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 11 7:23 AM
                            Another thing not realized by many (most?) people is that claimed score in a cabrillo header isn't worth even the bits and bytes necessary to transmit it.  Any contest group worth its salt checks logs, recalculates the score after taking out NILs, and assessing penalties for NILs (usually, in QSO Parties - just taking out the QSO and deducting its point value and any unique multiplier it involves.)

                            I let the logging program calculate what it will, submit the log, and read the report from the log checkers some months later.

                            72/73 de n8xx Hg
                            QRP >99.44% of the time

                            p.s.  I never received a definitive answer about leaving a WARC band contact in my log, about which I was concerned when I found W1AW/x on 18 MHz during a recent contest, and logged it inside the contest log, for my own convenience.  In that case I deliberately removed the line in the cabrillo file, but included it in the ADI file which I uploaded to the LOTW.   I asked whether if an extraneous contact, not related to the contest, would befuddle the log check routine and perhaps penalize me.  Not receiving any definite response, I figured that tampering with the log was justified in this case, and removed the contact.  Those who say that a log is sacrosanct after a contest may beat flog me with a cat-o-nine tails but that's what I did.

                            1c. Re: QSO Parties
                                Posted by: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" k0rc@... k0rc

                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 12 2:01 PM
                              "Not receiving any definite response, I figured that tampering..."

                              Without feedback from the contest sponsor, I would have tampered as well. You could open your "Daily DX" log in N1MM, enter the contact "after the fact" and edit the date/time. Then go back into the contest log and delete that QSO. If you are using the same database for the Daily DX and Contest logs, then you will have to skew the new QSO a few seconds because the exact same time stamp is not allowed twice within any database. Pushing the new entry a few seconds away from the original log entry circumvents this rule.

                              You DID ask the contest sponsor about leaving a WARC QSO in the Cabrillo log, right?

                              73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 12 2:46 PM
                                Well, let's think about this. Why do contest sponsors want you to leave contacts outside your category in your log? Because they are needed for contest log checking. If you make a contact outside your category, that contact may not be valid for you, but it most likely *is* valid for the other station. If you remove it from your log, the log checking will detect a contact in his log that is not in the other station's (i.e. your) log, and he will lose credit for it, even though it should have counted for him. Therefore you are urged not to delete such contacts.

                                Can this apply to a contact on a WARC band? No, because there is no possibility that the contact would be a valid contest contact for either station. Therefore you can remove it with impunity (from your contest log, not from your QSLing log). Unlike the case where the contact is on a band that is valid in the contest, removing the contact from your log cannot possibly result in credit being lost for the other station, because there cannot be any credit given for it in the first place.

                                Incidentally, a similar argument to the one in the first paragraph applies to duplicate contacts. If the contact is not a dupe in the other station's log, it is a valid contact for him. If you remove it from your log, that will result in his losing credit for a valid contact. Therefore, do not delete duplicate contacts from your log.

                                73,
                                Rich VE3KI
                              • W0MU Mike Fatchett

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 13 6:25 AM
                                    If folks have no idea here among this august group of "experts" - why
                                    should I bother the contest sponsor? Why should not "common sense"
                                    apply? I made the contact knowing it was NOT a contest contact. As
                                    you say, I could have immediately put the contact in the Deleted QSO's
                                    file.

                                    If some nit picker wants to go to each contest sponsor and ask such a
                                    question, let him/her do the busy work.

                                    72/73 de n8xx Hg
                                    QRP >99.44% of the time

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 13 1:05 PM
                                      Sorry, I didn't edit the subject line of this message I previously
                                      posted on the reflector.
                                      ======================================

                                      I agree. Many of these "discussions" seem like discussing "how many
                                      angels can dance on the head of a pin?"

                                      Or, many a discourse are akin to nit picking.

                                      72/73 de n8xx Hg
                                      QRP >99.44% of the time

                                      On 3/13/2014 07:14,
                                      Posted by: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@...? wrote:
                                      > Don't make this any harder than it needs to be.
                                    • ray_cathode1
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 21, 2014
                                        I am using N1MM Logger version 14.8.0, DXKeeper version 12.3.9 and N1MM-DXKeeper Gateway version 1.0.6.

                                        I just completed my first QSO PARTY using N1MM Looger and need to know if I had something set wrong, I chose QSOPARTY as log type then SC as State for log type QSOPARTY.

                                        After submitting my Cabrillo log to the SC QSO PARTY web site I looked through the log N1MMLogger imported into DXKeeper.

                                        The identifier N1MM Looger used is "QSOPARTY" that doesn't seem right, shouldn't it be something like SC QSOPARTY?, if I work more than one QSO PARTY and I need to export or find a certain QSO PARTY they are all going to show up.

                                        Are all the QSO Parties going to be logged as QSOPARTY?

                                        I certainly hope I don't have to manually edit ALL the QSO Parties I work.

                                        73's de W9RF

                                        -Joe

                                      • KU7Y
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 21, 2014
                                          Hi Joe,

                                          I don't use the N1MM to DXKeeper Gateway but rather import the ADIF after the contest. When doing that I go to the Import QSOs tab of DXK and check the Contest ID box and in the dropdown window I select the contest I want.

                                          For the SC QSO Party look for SC-QSO-PARTY. Select that as the contest type.

                                          This works out fine when importing a ADIF file and I would think doing that before logging contacts via the Gateway this would also work.

                                          OK, back in my hole,

                                          Ron, KU7Y

                                          Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 21, 2014
                                            Joe,

                                            First you should download the latest version of Logger, 14.9.0.

                                            Second you mis-read the documentation which tells you to select QSOPARTY and when the ‘Contest’ window opens you will see toward the upper right of that menu, ‘State for Log Type QSOParty’. When you select that, a list of all of the available QSO parties is shown and all you have to do is select ‘SC’ and the SC QSO Party contest opens. Then at the top of the log menu you will see “SC QSO Party” identifier. Using that for the SC party, you will not have to change anything. Also there are several multi-QSO party contest so you can operate several QSO party contest that are running on the same weekend.

                                            73,

                                            Tom – W4BQF

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 21, 2014

                                              Hi Tom,

                                              >>First you should download the latest version of Logger, 14.9.0.

                                              Yes, I seen the newer version is available, I'll probably grab it later this evening.

                                              >>Second you mis-read the documentation which tells you to select QSOPARTY and when the ‘Contest’ window opens >>you will see toward the upper right of that menu, ‘State for Log Type QSOParty’. When you select that, a list of all of >>the available QSO parties is shown and all you have to do is select ‘SC’ and the SC QSO Party contest opens. Then >>at the top of the log menu you will see “SC QSO Party” identifier. Using that for the SC party, you will not have to >>change anything. Also there are several multi-QSO party contest so you can operate several QSO party contest that >>are running on the same weekend.

                                              That's what I done, and yes the header on the log file shows SC-QSO Party and the Cabrillo file shows SC-QSO-PARTY.

                                              The problem I am having is not with the N1MM logger Cabrillo file saying "QSOPARTY" it is what is imported into DXKeeper, it shows "QSOPARTY" not SC-QSO-PARTY.

                                              -Joe

                                              I am using N1MM Logger version 14.8.0, DXKeeper version 12.3.9 and N1MM-DXKeeper Gateway version 1.0.6.

                                              I just completed my first QSO PARTY using N1MM Logger and need to know if I had something set wrong, I chose QSOPARTY as log type then SC as State for log type QSOPARTY.

                                              After submitting my Cabrillo log to the SC QSO PARTY web site I looked through the log N1MMLogger imported into DXKeeper.

                                              The identifier N1MM Logger used is "QSOPARTY" that doesn't seem right, shouldn't it be something like SC QSOPARTY?, if I work more than one QSO PARTY and I need to export or find a certain QSO PARTY they are all going to show up.

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 21, 2014
                                                Sorry Joe, I did not read your email completely!

                                                But since Logger Cabrillo file shows the correct ‘SC-QSO-PARTY’ identification, wouldn’t you think the “SC” is being stripped out by DXKeeper? I would suspect that logger has done what it was supposed to do by correctly identifying the QSO party and that maybe you should find out why DXKeeper changes the Logger correctly identified contest heading?

                                                Tom

                                                _____

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Sep 21, 2014
                                                  Hello Ron,

                                                  >>I don't use the N1MM to DXKeeper Gateway but rather import the ADIF after the contest. When doing that I go to the Import QSOs tab of DXK
                                                  >>and check the Contest ID box and in the dropdown window I select the
                                                  contest I want.

                                                  Yes I suppose that would work and I may have to do it that way, but it would be seamless if the bridge would do it.

                                                  Do you do that for all the contests you run or just the QSO Parties?
                                                  Ok, dumb question I just read you didn't use the gateway.

                                                  I've been using N1MM Logger for a short time but the other contests have been logged into DXKeeper just fine.

                                                  >>For the SC QSO Party look for SC-QSO-PARTY. Select that as the contest type.

                                                  >>This works out fine when importing a ADIF file and I would think doing
                                                  that before logging contacts via the Gateway this would also work.

                                                  Nope, N1MM Logger still logs QSOPARTY into DXKeeper.

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Sep 21, 2014
                                                    Tom,

                                                    I never thought of it that way, you may be correct.

                                                    I'll see what Dave has to add, thanks..

                                                    73's

                                                    -Joe

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Sep 21, 2014
                                                      Tom,

                                                      I haven't sent an email off to Dave yet but I was just thinking.

                                                      After choosing and configuring N1MM Logger for the correct contest the log header shows "SC QSO Party" the Cabrillo file shows "SC-QSO-PARTY" (two different strings)

                                                      So IF DXKeeper is stripping SC wouldn't it end up as "QSO-PARTY" or "QSO Party" instead of "QSOPARTY"?

                                                      I have no idea how N1MM Logger was programed but it seems as if the bridge is picking up the "Log Type" which is "QSOPARTY" and not the "State for Log Type QSOPARTY"

                                                      Just a thought..

                                                      -Joe

                                                      >>Sorry Joe, I did not read your email completely!

                                                      >>But since Logger Cabrillo file shows the correct ‘SC-QSO-PARTY’
                                                      identification, wouldn’t you think the “SC” is being stripped out by
                                                      >>DXKeeper? I would suspect that logger has done what it was supposed to
                                                      do by correctly identifying the QSO party and that maybe you >>should find out why DXKeeper changes the Logger correctly identified contest heading?

                                                      >>Tom

                                                      class="" style="font-weight: bold;">Subject: Re: [N1MM] QSO Parties

                                                      Tom,

                                                      I never thought of it that way, you may be correct.

                                                      I'll see what Dave has to add, thanks..

                                                      73's

                                                      -Joe

                                                      >>Sorry Joe, I did not read your email completely!

                                                      >>But since Logger Cabrillo file shows the correct ‘SC-QSO-PARTY’
                                                      identification, wouldn’t you think the “SC” is being stripped out by
                                                      >>DXKeeper? I would suspect that logger has done what it was supposed to
                                                      do by correctly identifying the QSO party and that maybe you >>should find out why DXKeeper changes the Logger correctly identified contest heading?

                                                      >>Tom

                                                      class="" clear="none"> Subject: RE: [N1MM] QSO Parties

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Sep 21, 2014
                                                        Folks,

                                                        The legacy program broadcasts the contest name or in this case QSOPARTY .

                                                        N1MM Logger Plus was changed to broadcast the QSOPARTY contest as QSOPARTY-Subtype where SubType is the string in the State dropdown selector. I that is confusing, the SC QSOParty would broadcast as QSOPARTY-SC

                                                        John, K3CT

                                                        _____

                                                        _____

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Sep 21, 2014
                                                          John,

                                                          Thanks, I'm glad this issue has been addressed with the new version.

                                                          73's de W9RF

                                                          -Joe

                                                          _____

                                                          _____

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Sep 22, 2014

                                                            Hi to all!!

                                                            In N1MM+ i have for psk mode mmvari by default, all work fine but, when i change speed 62.5, 125 .... in log  write PSK31, change to PSK63 add qso to log but add like PSK31 an no PSK63, in PSK125 same "problem", I testing in Log Mixed and Mixed+Digi and... i can't change the speed of PSK when i change in mmvari.

                                                            any idea?

                                                            Tnx!

                                                            EC7AKV Fonsi
                                                          • Larry Gauthier (K8UT)
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Sep 23, 2014
                                                              Although we encourage everyone to migrate from N1MMclassic to N1MMplus, we recognize that many of you are reluctant to change things at your contest station as you begin the Fall contest season, at least until you have had sufficient time to experiment in parallel with the new program.

                                                              With yesterday’s release of N1MMplus, the standard website URLs of WWW.N1MM.COM and N1MM.HAMDOCS.COM are now pointing to the new website for N1MMplus downloads and documentation.  There is a link on the N1MMplus homepage that takes you back to the old classic website with its downloads and documentation. That new URL for N1MMclassic is N1MMCLASSIC.HAMDOCS.COM.

                                                              -larry (K8UT)